15000+ posts
OP Offline
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Top Stories - AP

Florida Warns 1 Million to Flee Hurricane
1 hour, 4 minutes ago

By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. - Officials warned about a million residents and tourists along Florida's Gulf Coast Thursday to get out of the way of Hurricane Charley, saying parts of Tampa's downtown and nearby areas could be submerged by the massive storm surge likely when the hurricane strikes on Friday.

"It does have the potential of devastating impact. ... This is a scary, scary thing," Gov. Jeb Bush said.

The evacuation zone stretched along Florida's west coast from Key West to north of Tampa.

Charley was expected to pass west of the Keys at Florida's tip early Friday before hitting the Tampa Bay area in the afternoon with winds up to 120 mph, heavy rain, tornadoes and the dangerous storm surge, said Hugh Cobb, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. With winds that high, it would be a powerful Category 3 hurricane.

Radar showed the first rain bands hitting the lower Keys on Thursday night.

Residents of the Tampa Bay area, where the eye is projected to hit, southward to the Naples area were told to expect a storm surge of 10-13 feet. State meteorologist Ben Nelson said the surge could reach 16 feet in the Tampa area if Charley reaches 120 mph wind.

The bulk of the evacuations were in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, which include Tampa and St. Petersburg, a city that sits on a peninsula.

All residents of MacDill Air Force Base, on another peninsula in Tampa Bay, were ordered out, with only essential personnel remaining. MacDill is home to U.S. Central Command, the nerve center of the war in Iraq.

"MacDill Air Force Base will probably be mostly underwater and parts of downtown Tampa could be underwater if we have a Category 3," Nelson said. "In a Category 3, you can almost get to the point where Pinellas County becomes an island."

"There will be a period of time where if you stay behind and you change your mind and you want to be rescued, no one can help you. We aren't going to go out on a suicide mission," Pinellas Emergency Management Chief Gary Vickers told people in the evacuation zone.

Heavy traffic flowed across the three Tampa Bay bridges linking Pinellas with Hillsborough and the mainland. Officials worried about traffic jams Friday morning.

"The highway system was never designed to move this many people this quickly," state emergency management director Craig Fugate said.

At 11 p.m., Charley was on the southern Cuba coast, 55 miles south of Havana. Forecasters said the storm had top sustained winds of about 105 mph. It was moving north-northwest at about 14 mph and was expected to strengthen, meteorologists said.

Hurricane force winds extended outward 30 miles from the eye; tropical storm force winds went out 125 miles.

The hurricane bore down after Tropical Storm Bonnie's disorganized center sloshed ashore Thursday morning on the central Florida Panhandle with winds estimated near 50 mph. Bonnie failed to produce any flooding rains, but some strong squalls were reported. It weakened into a depression and was no longer a threat as it moved into southern Georgia, Cobb said.

The one-two punch of tropical weather was highly unusual. Storms have not struck so close together in Florida since 1906.

About 6.5 million of Florida's 17 million residents were in Charlie's projected path, the U.S. Census Bureau reported.

The evacuation request was Florida's biggest since 1999, when Hurricane Floyd brushed the state's east coast and prompted officials to urge a record 1.3 million to evacuate.

Many residents prepared for the worst, buying plywood to board up homes and stocking up on water, canned food and batteries to ride out the hurricane. Beth Ciombor of Sarasota was at a Home Depot loading two sheets of plywood onto the top of her minivan while her 2-year-old son watched.

"I'm on the verge of tears. It's so frightening," she said.

At 11 p.m., a hurricane warning was issued for the Keys from the Dry Tortugas to the Seven Mile Bridge and along southwestern Florida from the southern tip of the mainland to Bayport, 52 miles north of the St. Petersburg area; a watch was issued from north of Bayport to the Suwannee River; and a tropical storm warning was in effect for the middle and upper Keys and Florida Bay. A tropical storm watch was in effect from northern Key Largo north to the South Santee River in South Carolina.

In the Keys, a steady line of traffic, marked by sport utility vehicles pulling boats on trailers, drove north along U.S. 1 on Thursday as visitors and mobile home residents followed orders to evacuate the entire 100-mile-long island chain.

Al Perkins, 55, a small business owner in Key West, placed office computers and a photocopier in garbage bags while a colleague hammered metal hurricane shutters over windows.

"If it gets over 150 miles per hour winds, I'm outta here. Anything less than that, I've already been in, so it's not a problem," he said.

Key West International Airport closed Thursday in anticipation of Charley, and St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport closed after the last flight Thursday night. Flights at Tampa International Airport were expected to cease around noon Friday, but operations at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport were to continue at least through Friday afternoon.

Amtrak suspended train service between New York City and Miami for Friday. Amtrak's Auto Train that operates between Lorton, Va. and Sanford, Fla., was also canceled Friday. Service between Boston, Washington, D.C., and Newport News, Va. was not affected.

Bonnie and Charley are the second and third named storms of the Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.

___

Associated Press Writers David Royse in Apalachicola, Ken Thomas in Key West, Vickie Chachere in Sarasota, and Rachel La Corte, Adrian Sainz and John Pain in Miami contributed to this report.

___

Jason E. Perkins #323097 2004-08-13 5:46 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Any of the posters here affected by this? It seems we have a lot of posters from Florida here.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #323098 2004-08-13 7:09 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
My neck of the woods is getting off light. We're gonna get bitch-slapped with the edge of Charley, so we're probably gonna get a lot of rain and some bad wind, but it doesn't sound like we'll be hit too hard.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Darknight613 #323099 2004-08-13 8:30 AM
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
Oh...

I thought this thread was about a retarded guy and a super-smart mouse or something...

Goes to show how down the ladder this story is here on the west coast.

whomod #323100 2004-08-13 10:13 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I live in the same area as Darknight, so the same goes for me. Pretty much just watching the news, hoping it doesn't decide to tell the meteorologists where to stuff it and head here instead. This is, of course, extremely unlikely now.

I think Cowgirl Jack might be in the evacuation area of Florida, though. Hope she got out of there okay.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Top Stories - AP

Hurricane Charley Batters Cuba
37 minutes ago

By ANITA SNOW, Associated Press Writer

HAVANA - Hurricane Charley roared across Cuba early Friday, battering the capital with high winds and heavy rains before heading off toward the western coast of Florida.

Already a Category 2 storm, forecasters said Charley could develop into a major hurricane. It drenched Cuba and the Cayman Islands and killed a man in Jamaica.

Flanked by President Fidel Castro, a Cuban meteorologist said on live television that Charley made landfall shortly after midnight on Cuba's main island on the southern coast near the town of Batabano.

The storm passed just to the west of downtown Havana, population 2.2 million, about two hours later. Authorities later said the storm had left Cuban territory, and thus far had reports of relatively minor damage, such as ripped roofs, broken windows and downed trees even though in some areas gusts reached up to 125 mph.

Charley began pummeling Cuba's Isle of Youth off the main island's southwestern coast with heavy rains and high winds Thursday afternoon.

A hurricane warning was in effect across Cuba's western provinces: Pinar del Rio, Havana province, Havana city, Matanzas and the Isle of Youth, as well as for parts of Florida.

More than 149,000 people were evacuated in western and central Cuba as the storm approached and Havana's international airport was closed, along with major seaports, Cuba's official National Information Agency reported.

In Havana, shoppers crowded stores Thursday afternoon to stock up on batteries, purified water, crackers and other provisions. By nightfall, streets were empty after people rushed home to wait out the storm.

Only minimal damage was reported in the Caymans Islands, where Charley hit earlier Thursday when it was a much weaker Category 1 storm, with winds at 90 mph.

Charley was moving north-northwest near 14 mph and was expected to turn toward the north, steering it into the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.

Hurricane force winds extended outward up to 30 miles and tropical storm force winds extended 125 miles. Maximum sustained winds were near 105 mph.

In Charley's wake, there were reports of flooding and downed trees that made some roads impassable in parts of Little Cayman, population 150, and a brief power outage in Grand Cayman's East End.

In Jamaica, 32-year-old farmer Byron Barret died Wednesday night trying to trying to rescue six other people from rising flood waters in St. Elizabeth parish on the south coast, officials said.

Flooding in Jamaica left some roads impassable and submerged crops in the southern agricultural region.

Charley was the third named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, which began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.

___

Associated Press writers Howard Campbell contributed to this report from Jamaica, as well as Nicky Watson from Cayman Brac and Gretchen Allen from Grand Cayman.

Jason E. Perkins #323102 2004-08-13 12:58 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I think Cowgirl Jack might be in the evacuation area of Florida, though. Hope she got out of there okay.

Thanks for the concern guys. I was going to post stuff yesterday, but had to go shopping for supplies. Since we've just moved into the apartment (and still don't have furniture) we have nothing we need like batteries or flashlights.

From all the calls and IMs I got from my relatives in Tampa, it seems everyone's left Tampa and are heading away from the coast. My grandparents and my aunt are probably at my parent's house in Brandon (my extreme do-it-yourself dad used steel instead of wood for the house, so that home isn't going anywhere). I know downtown Tampa's already closed, my mom said the county computer servers are all ready shut down.

Looking at all the maps at Channel 8's weather center, Charley's going to hit Gainesville and Ocala sometime around 2 AM on Saturday. We're holding the fort here at UF and hopefully my other roommate will get here from Palm Beach shortly in the next few hours.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
whomod #323103 2004-08-13 4:40 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Oh...

I thought this thread was about a retarded guy and a super-smart mouse or something...

Heh. That was a good book.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
whomod #323104 2004-08-13 5:45 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Oh...

Goes to show how down the ladder this story is here on the west coast.

That's OK, I thought someone was having a 'nam flashback.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
wannabuyamonkey #323105 2004-08-13 6:55 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I'm in FL right now too but I don't think we'll get hit by the huricane, just nasty rain. I'll be going back home on Sunday though, and if needed, there's an evac area down the street from my motel.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Batwoman #323106 2004-08-14 7:32 AM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
As a former Floridian and fellow RKMB'er you guys be careful down thyah.

Fused #323107 2004-08-14 12:40 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Fucking 'cane missed us! Well, at least I have a lot of bottled water. Once again, the Angelos avert natural disaster.

*gets hit on head with rock*

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
Cowgirl Jack #323108 2004-08-14 6:56 PM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Maybe it has something to do with being "The Angels". No wonder you have a wing fixation!

Fused #323109 2004-08-14 7:42 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
tomato, tomahto; fixation, obsession... let's call the whole thing off .

rex #323110 2004-08-14 7:59 PM
200+ posts
200+ posts
And I thought I had buddies dying with their face in the dirt so that Charly wouldn't bother us anymore...

Think clean thoughts, chum. -The Batman
therealdeadshot #323111 2004-08-15 3:59 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
My uncle from Florida has a fancy new tree on his roof.

JQ Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
How much did he have to pay?

FREE SCOTT PETERSON! "Basically, you've just responded with argumentative opinion to everything I've said. And you respond with speculations, speculating that I'M speculating. "- Wonder Boy
JQ #323113 2004-08-15 4:19 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
God works for free.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
God works for free.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
wannabuyamonkey #323115 2004-08-15 5:13 AM
god Offline
25+ posts
25+ posts
I only charge non-believers.

With their souls!

god #323116 2004-08-15 9:05 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Jason E. Perkins #323117 2004-08-15 1:40 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
My inlaws live in Punta Gorda, ground zero for the devastation.

All the phones are out. Mrs. G-man was having a nervous breakdown.

My father in law finally called about 5 pm Eastern time Sunday. All is well. His house is more or less standing and everyone in the family is OK.

Link Copied to Clipboard