5000+ posts
I totally. Fucking. Agree. That was just awesome! [AAAHHHH!!!] [woooOOOOoooo!]

TK-069 Offline OP
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
OP Offline
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I seriously believe that it's the greatest scifi/fantasy movie of all time. The new Empire. It's that fucking good!

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by TK-069:
I seriously believe that it's the greatest scifi/fantasy movie of all time. The new Empire. It's that fucking good!

[whaaaa!] What!?! [whaaaa!]

Are you serious? Even for an Empire lover like myself?

I . . . I . . . I can't believe it . . . .

TK-069 Offline OP
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
OP Offline
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
If it's not above it, it sure as hell damn close to it!

Wait and see.

At Risk Youth
400+ posts
At Risk Youth
400+ posts
I don't know if I should see this in the theatres because when I saw The Two Towers, during the first 30 minutes some over agitated-fanboy-asshole kept laughing at the most imappropriate moments, booed at the screen and kept talking out loud how such and such was not loyal to Tolkien until the Usher threw his ass out. I don't want to experience that again. I think I'll wait for the extended DVD.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous One:

...when I saw The Two Towers, during the first 30 minutes some over agitated-fanboy-asshole kept laughing at the most imappropriate moments, booed at the screen and kept talking out loud how such and such was not loyal to Tolkien until the Usher threw his ass out. ..

Sorry 'bout that. I just thought laughing at all the in-jokes would make everyone think I was cool.

TK-069 Offline OP
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
OP Offline
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
There are only a few things I find "wrong" with this flick, one coming to mind is the disproportionate amount of slo-mo head close-ups. It seems every frickin' character has one, and they all have that weird creepy smile thing goin' on. Plus, no Saruman. Da fuck...

A few points, spoiler free:

- Gollum was the shit.
- The Battle of Minas Tirith/Pellanor Fields was the shit.
- The Battle of the Black Gates was the shit.
- The final moments between the Three at Mount Doom was the shit.
- Once again, Legolas was the fuckin' man.
- Eowyn's definately got some ovarian fortitude.
- The Nazgul were the motherfuckers.
- The Orc General was a bad-ass motherfucker.
- "Her" was creepy as fuck.
- Aragorn's Deadites were the shit.
- Denethor was a crazy motherfucker.
- The armored mountain trolls kicked major fuckin' ass.
- The Riders of Rohan were the definate shit.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
heck ya. All that and more. I went in with high expectations and it still did better than those. The imagery was great, too. I liked the Minas Tirith and the lighting of the becons. 3 hours and 20 or 30 minutes long. And when it comes out on the extended DVD, over 4 hours long. :)

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
I was apprenhensive with no Saurman or Scouring of the Shire, but it turned out alright.

TK-069 Offline OP
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
OP Offline
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Fuck, what was that line Gimli said in Minas Tirith?

"Death is almost certain, the chances of surviving are slim. ... Well, what are we waiting for?!"

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Weird, I didn't necessarily think it was much better than the other two. afew of legolas and Gimli's one liners disturbed me as making it too "Now and Hip". The battle scenes were great, but for it's immensity neither seemed as wrenching as the battle of Helm's deep.

Things I loved, things I disliked...some are the fault of tolkien rather than jackson..hahah.

Eowyen's battle of the spirit..
I finally liked the performance and was endeared to all 4 of the hobbits...
Gollum as always...
Aragorn's love story didn't end the way I wanted it to....this was changed from the book right?...
The one liners bothered me...eowyen had one that bugged me, Legolis had several, and Gimli had a few....
The The battle of Gondor should have lasted longer IMO...
"Her" and the Hobbits was one of , if not the best part of the movie.
Sean astin "Rudy" had an excellent part in this film and played it well....
Unfortunately, Wood will be overlooked in acting awards, but after reviewing the previous 2 films and seeing the evolution and trasnformation of his character from bright and witty hobbit of FOTR to the person he is in the ROTK I found it just amazing how easily and seemlessly made the transformation...
Too little Cate Blanchett..damn...

The coming of "The time of man" theme didn't have enough build up for me and lacked a little emotional punch at the end. IMO.

And I got a little choked up at the last Gondor scene...great scene...

I think the Extended DVD will make me like this movie the most of the 3, but It's hard for me to say that this one is any better than the previous 2, because they played such important roles in building up all the resolutions and emotion in this film...it's hard to seperate them as being individual entities...

I hope Lucas learns something from this series of epic films... because as TK said star Wars has lost it's place..the ring rules all trilogies and epics.

All of the films get an A+ from me....amazing. Even the quibbles I had were so insignificant that they only lasted a few seconds before they were quickly forgotten. That iss urely a sign of a great movie.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by TK-069:
Fuck, what was that line Gimli said in Minas Tirith?

"Death is almost certain, the chances of surviving are slim. ... Well, what are we waiting for?!"

That actually reminded me of a Farscape episode where dargo says to Crichton " Fear heralds the possibility of death. Calm ensures it's certainty." something like that....great line though TK..

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I caught a midnight showing of it last night, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the ending took too long. The last fifteen minutes or so coulda been cut, I feel. Still, enjoyed it a lot.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Grimm:
I caught a midnight showing of it last night, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the ending took too long. The last fifteen minutes or so coulda been cut, I feel. Still, enjoyed it a lot.

That's why I said "The Time of Man" ending lacked build up and the emotional punch it deserved... so I agree to an extent.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Yeah, I was thinking more the stuff at the Shire afterwards. Took too long. I don't really care if it was true to the book in that area, it was too much by that point and I was just ready to leave. . .of course it was also three thirty in the morning. . .

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I don't think the resemblance between Legolas and Link (from Zelda) was unintentional, at least in this movie. The part when he takes down the big elephant was great. He was even dressed in green.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Pig Iron:
quote:
Originally posted by Grimm:

That's why I said "The Time of Man" ending lacked build up and the emotional punch it deserved... so I agree to an extent.
I think Turan (film critic) described it best

quote:
With so many involving things on offer, it's understandable that though "Return" opts to do without the book's closing section detailing battles around the Shire, it still extends longer than it should. For filmmakers and viewers alike, a world this vivid is next to impossible to leave. As a model for how to bring substance, authenticity and insight to the biggest of adventure yarns, this trilogy will not soon, if ever, find its equal.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-et-turan16dec16,2,3219427.htmlstory

Although it did meander a bit too long, I certainly didn't want it to end. I'm already counting down the days to the extended edition to linger there a while longer.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Piggie, the love story ends in the movie pretty much like it does in the book. The main difference was that Arwen's life wasn't tied to the fate of the ring or whatever it was Elrond said to Strider in the tent.

ROTK. I saw it. I liked it. I agree it's better than Empire.

I need to see it again, though. It takes me a couple viewings to get it through my head that these films aren't the same as the books. This is the way it went with Two Towers. I have to put aside my Tolkien fetish temporarily and let Jackson have his way with me. I'm glad I do, because there's a lot to like in the movies. The Gollum/Frodo ending is more satisfying the way Jackson does it. I was always a little suspicious about how the book handled that scene.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I haven't read them since 6th or 7th grade..I'll add my reading comprehension wasn't at the top of it's game then..plus a few years of heavy pot smoking does wonders for parts of your memory. I guess I'll have to re-read them in the near future. I had a real love for the weiss/hickman Dragonlance novels at that time which were more to my comprehension levels.

Thanks Marc...

300+ posts
300+ posts
No shame, Piggie. I've read the books I don't know how many times, and I still find things I missed.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 -

100+ posts
100+ posts
You guys who know me know I was a huge tolkien fan (a dork that is) way back before anyone cared...
So this post is totally biased...

Hmmm. Anyone see Joan of Arc?
The first half was pretty kewl with trebuchets and all.
Then the second half was boring as hell.
This movie was kind of like that. 90 Homo Halfling scenes and Aragorn was like a different person 1/2 way through the movie (a much gayer one, especially in front of the black gate)
Had to reply to this one TK...
- Gollum was annoying as hell 90% of the time, AND FAKE AS [censored]!!
- The battles were awesome minus the dead killing everyone and sweeping through the entire city like they were running from the ghostbusters or something...
- Legolas and the oliphaunt was awesome yet real fake as well.
- Eowyn's scene was one of the best (Shelob was a good one too, being "Her")
- The ORC general's face before he got ran over was commical like Chevy Chase (you be the judge)
-When Aragorn jumped off the ship (and when he was talking to the dead) it was really Disney, like Pirates of the Carribean Disney.
-Denethor was played pretty well, liked it, cuz everyone was sickened by him
And I agree, the mountain trolls and the Riders Charge were two of the best things in the movie.

BUT....
End the movie when it ends, not 3 more times and a "That's all Folks"
People say to me "well, Reamere it was a landmark achievement, and they will never do a movie like it again...

My ass, you gonna tell me they aren't going to do the Hobbit or the Silmarillion? (As three movies of course)

Ugggg, I overtyped again,

Feel free to chastise me at will

PS: I had to wait a couple days to post anything because I was a little out of it, after being blasted by 9 hours of movie. Had to get an objective feel.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
And me?

I'm just waiting for the rumoured 5 hr Extended Edition.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
This movie was simply astounding! I am speaking strictly from a cinematic standpoint, as I've never read the books, though I definitely hope to someday. However, my favorite parts include:

- Sam carrying Frodo up Mt. Doom. I actually started bawling. Sean Astin was, to me, one of the highlights of this movie in terms of his ability to play such a heroic/endearing character, giving up all his rights and desires for his friend in need. I was truly touched by his performance.

- "My friends... you bow to no one." Once again, I bawled like a baby. To see all the men of Gondor (representative of the men on Middle-Earth in my mind) bowing to four halflings, I was reminded of the truth of the saying "The meek shall inherit the Earth." Once again, truly touching.

- The orc general looked like Sloth from The Goonies, didn't you think?

- Gollum was, if at all possible, even cooler than he was in Two Towers!

- Denethor was truly twisted. I couldn't help but feel a sadistic satisfaction when he finally died.

- Eowyn vs. the leader of the Nazgul. "I am not a man." Absolutely incredible! I was seriously about to wet myself when she did that!!!!

- The eagles' arrival. 'Nuff said!

Some downsides:

- Frodo and Sam looked faintly ridiculous in that orc armor, I thought.

- Too little of Gimli.

- Merry and Pippin getting overrun during their charge at the Battle of the Black Gates. While it was realistic, I thought it completely changed the mood and weakened the power of the previous scene.

All things considered, though, Return of the King was a pretty friggin' good movie! I can't wait to see it again!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Chewy have you ever considered testosterone suplements?

Last edited by britneyspearsatemyshorts; 2003-12-25 5:32 PM.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
What's the fun in that?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Smaller tissue bill?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Tissues are for wimps! I use my sleeves!

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Quote:

Three words: Holy. Motherfucking. Shit.

Link Copied to Clipboard