Print Thread
#390410 2004-11-23 12:44 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
From Hollywood's 'Frigid 50' named:

Michael Moore, whose anti-Iraq war film Fahrenheit 9/11 touched off a firestorm of controversy, topped an annual list today of Hollywood's least-intriguing celebrities.

The outspoken documentary-maker ranks No.1 on this year's Frigid 50 published by online movie magazine FilmThreat.com.

The website, known for an anti-establishment take on the entertainment industry, said its list named the stars it found to be the "least-inspiring, least-intriguing people in Hollywood".

Ranked No.2 was actress Halle Berry, who followed up her Oscar-winning turn in Monster's Ball with less critically lauded roles in such films as Gothica and Catwoman.

Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner was ranked No.3 on the list, which cited this year's revolt by dissident shareholders, a hostile takeover bid by Comcast, public spats with Pixar and Miramax and a string of such flops as Home on the Range, The Alamo and Hidalgo.

He was followed at No.4 by director M Night Shyamalan whose latest thriller, The Village and its "surprise ending" were widely seen as falling far short of the pre-release hype.

Comic actors and frequent co-stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were jointly listed at No.5 for their appearances in a recent string of "mass-produced mediocrity".

"The Frigid 50 ice pack have left audiences cold with their overbearing personalities, poor career choices and chronic inability to stop making fools of themselves," the site said.

The complete list of boring celebs can be found here

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow. Pretty damn accurate. But I dunno why they use the term "frigid".

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
I guess they're going for the opposite of "hot" -- but it doesn't really sound right.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
The link to filmthreat isn't working. I can't get on the site.

Meanwhile...

Quote:

Michael Moore, whose anti-Iraq war film Fahrenheit 9/11 touched off a firestorm of controversy, topped an annual list today of Hollywood's least-intriguing celebrities.

Quote:

The website, known for an anti-establishment take on the entertainment industry, said its list named the stars it found to be the "least-inspiring, least-intriguing people in Hollywood".

Quote:

"The Frigid 50 ice pack have left audiences cold with their overbearing personalities, poor career choices and chronic inability to stop making fools of themselves," the site said.

Looking at their criteria, I have to challenge Michael Moore's place on it (or at least his ranking).

Look at all the controversy there was over "Fahrenheit 9/11." Look at all the attention it got. It's ludicrous to claim that it left audiences cold. It seemed to have the exact opposite effect - audiences were either praising it and cheering it on, or slamming it and condemning it.

And also, look at all the money it made (for a documentary.) That, and the attention it got Moore, disqualifies "Fahrenheit" as a poor career choice.

Plus, Moore has a rep for getting people up in arms, rallying them behind him or against him. I'd call that inspiring.

So what's left? Overblown personality and ego. I don't know if that's enough to put him in first place on this list (of course, since I can't access the damn site, I don't have an adequate comparison to work with.)

It sounds to me like this is personal politics talking.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

I agree.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

The same list (assuming you can get the link to work) also "dissed" George W. Bush, so I don't think you can blame the criticism of Moore on "personal politics."

Politics aside, the minute that Moore announced a sequel to "F-911" I suspect he pretty much lost a hell of a lot of cred as a "serious" filmmaker, even among his industry supporters.

Reason: Again, politics aside, Moore had portrayed his movie as a legitimate attempt to change the world through film. Obviously, it didn't work (Bush got re-elected), but he made himself a whole lot of money in the process.

By announcing a sequel to a documentary that (a) didn't accomplish what it set out to do; and (b) when the subject of the doc can't be re-elected President again anyway, Moore looks less like a guy who wants to change the world with his films and more like a guy who found a marketable brand name for a film series and is going to ride it into the ground for big bucks, quality be damned.

Basically, he looks like the George Lucas of documentary filmmakers.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

The same list (assuming you can get the link to work) also "dissed" George W. Bush, so I don't think you can blame the criticism of Moore on "personal politics."

Did I not mention that I wasn't able to access the list and see it for myself?

Quote:

Politics aside, the minute that Moore announced a sequel to "F-911" I suspect he pretty much lost a hell of a lot of cred as a "serious" filmmaker, even among his industry supporters.

Reason: Again, politics aside, Moore had portrayed his movie as a legitimate attempt to change the world through film. Obviously, it didn't work (Bush got re-elected), but he made himself a whole lot of money in the process.

By announcing a sequel to a documentary that (a) didn't accomplish what it set out to do; and (b) when the subject of the doc can't be re-elected President again anyway, Moore looks less like a guy who wants to change the world with his films and more like a guy who found a marketable brand name for a film series and is going to ride it into the ground for big bucks, quality be damned.

You mean he was actually serious about a sequel to "Fahrenheit?"

I thought he was just kidding.

Okay then, that's a fair point.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

Yes. Which is why I said "assuming you could get the link to work."

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

Yes. Which is why I said "assuming you could get the link to work."

Sorry. I missed that.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

So in the Special Edition, will he be replaced by Jabba the Hutt?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Moore's placing on the list is not so much based on politics as it is boredom. The makers of Film Threat are just plain tired of seeing and hearing about him. And for that matter, so am I. It's a simple case of overexposure.

Film Threat is the magazine that first revealed that Tarantino lifted Reservoir Dogs shot for shot from the '87 flick, City on Fire. They rode him for a long time over that.

Ahh, Film Threat. I miss seeing you on the newstands and reading through your disassembling of Hollywood.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I knew Tom Hanks was going to be on that list.

Jeez...please recast for The DaVinci Code...

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think Hanks is trying to get on The Da vinci Code hype. He needs it right now.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
I think Hanks is trying to get on The Da vinci Code hype. He needs it right now.

What do you mean? Hanks hasn't been doing badly lately. His films have been doing well, and they've been pretty good (although I haven't seen "Polar Express" yet).

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Polar Express and The Terminal were never number one movies. He hasn't had a number one movie in a long time. His films still make a lot of money, just not as much as they used to.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Maybe, but "Catch Me If You Can" and "The Terminal" were excellent movies, and were well-received by critics (as were his performances.)

Just because he hasn't had a number one for a while doesn't mean Hanks' career is in bad shape.

25+ posts
25+ posts
That list... burned my eyes...

Cynicism gets boring sometimes.

In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out. - Joker
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
YOU HATE ME!!

25+ posts
25+ posts
So?

In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out. - Joker
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Point.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

2000+ posts
2000+ posts