Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rex #391902 2004-11-28 11:37 PM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the Kiss Army could kick the Salvation Army's ass!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
And nothing's more important than donating to the Gene Simmons Fund.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Is Target intentionally trying to wreck their business,or are they just too stupid to know a public relations blunder when they see one?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
So you harangue the bell ringers as to why you don't give to THEM all the while little do they know you don't give to anyone and probobly wouldn't give to them even if 90% of thier Soldiers were gay.

I never said I don't donate at all to any charity. I donate over the course a year to Goodwill, well in excess of $500 per year. I just resented being told by you that I have an obligation to donate to anybody. I do not.

And I do not harangue anyone. I do not stand there and get in a debate with a kettle worker. On those rare occasions when a kettle workers asks me for a donation, I tell them, "Your policy on gays prohbits me from donating to the Army."

What kind of person do you think I am?

We all wear a green carnation.
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

Chant said:
what? they don't sing in America?

There are some that sing, others that play an instrument, depends on the person. I've always thought it would be fun to do that stand there with a couple friends and just sing.

Last year, at the Target out here where I work, there was an Asian man who brought his electric fiddle and played it all day long. The entire time he was there with the kettle he had that fiddle. It was pretty damn cool and he got a ton of donations.

It's a shame that Target has pulled their stores from this, but it appears that it's "done."

The collections have already started . . . you'll see the bell-ringers out there in other places. So, not all is lost. At least we can hope that any way.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

What kind of person do you think I am?

Apperantly the resentfull type.

Quote:

I just resented being told by you that I have an obligation to donate to anybody. I do not.

Yea, I don't think I told you you were obligated to do anything. I was just hopefull that you weren't soured on giving alltogether. I was also trying to make the point that I fully UNDERSTOOD your reluctance or refusal to give to any groups that offend you or differ in a fundimental way, but you just have to find something in that to get offended by. I realise that you're a tad more sensitive than I, and I try to accomdate that when responding to you, but it can get to the point of being rediculous. I want to better understand your stance on various issues as well as express mine, but as you may have noticed in my sig, i have X-BOX Live now so I don't want to spend my depleteing time here talking to people who are going to get offended and act like a resentfull jerk. i would like to make one suggestion (it is JUST a suggestion, so don't feel obligated) Every day stand infront of a mirror, preferably a full lenght mirror and say in a full voice "I am not a victim" You'll feel alot better.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I realise that you're a tad more sensitive than I, and I try to accomdate that when responding to you, but it can get to the point of being rediculous. I want to better understand your stance on various issues as well as express mine, but as you may have noticed in my sig, i have X-BOX Live now so I don't want to spend my depleteing time here talking to people who are going to get offended and act like a resentfull jerk. i would like to make one suggestion (it is JUST a suggestion, so don't feel obligated) Every day stand infront of a mirror, preferably a full lenght mirror and say in a full voice "I am not a victim" You'll feel alot better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions.

I do give. All year. But at Christmas, I tend to hang on to my dollars because I need 'em, too.

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2004-11-30 12:05 PM.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
The collections have already started . . . you'll see the bell-ringers out there in other places. So, not all is lost. At least we can hope that any way.

You can always call the Salvation Army and arrange a donation that way.

ZOD Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Target is a great contributor to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Little Timmy's going to die thanks to WBAM!

Behold! The sabered Head of Uschi shall give death to Zod's enemies! CLICK and know DEATH! KNEEL before ZOD!!!
ZOD #391911 2004-12-01 6:45 AM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
NOOOOOOO!!! Not Timmy!!!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
At least little Mary-Sue will be okay... won't she?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
No, I'm afraid she won't. Without those extra funds, there's nothing we can do for her. And that liver won't reattach itself!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Red kettles are Salvation Army's main fund-raisers

If you think the holiday season brings more work and less pay at your job, take a look at Lebertus (Bert) van der Werff Sr.

For the past 14 years, van der Werff, a retired baker, has been in charge of organizing and coordinating the Salvation Army's kettle campaign in Auburn NY.

What it boils down to are 12-hour days most of the time, from the week before Thanksgiving through Christmas eve.

Of course, the volunteer effort "isn't really work when you know what you are doing it for," van der Werff said. "It isn't really work because you meet a lot of nice people. It is very gratifying when you see the end of it and give out food baskets."

Van der Werff makes sure the volunteer bell ringers are at their posts. He sets up and takes down the kettles.

"They asked me to help about 17 years ago and I just stayed with it. I enjoy it; you give back to the community," he said.

Van der Werff came to this country from the Netherlands in 1957 when he was 17. He lived in Liverpool until 1962, when he moved to Auburn. He worked in several area bakeries and retired from Harrison Bakery in Syracuse. He has been married to Betty van der Werff for 20 years. He has four children, three stepchildren, 13 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Van der Werff also works with the Salvation Army's emergency disaster services. He cooks for senior citizens and in the soup kitchen. He is a member of the advisory board. All volunteer work.

The Christmas Kettle Campaign is the Salvation Army's biggest fund-raiser of the year. Much of the money goes for holiday food baskets, but some goes to the food pantry or is given to people in emergency situations, for necessities such as rent or medical care.

pain in the neck
25+ posts
pain in the neck
25+ posts
We're gonna need another Timmy.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This post, and other popular "DT" posts, are being stickied until idiot boys's spongebob shit ends.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i dont think sponges "shit"......

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

URSA said:
We're gonna need another Timmy.

Totally Hidden Predator!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
ABC News.com

Target Faces Backlash for Bell-Ringer Ban
Target Faces Backlash for Banning Salvation Army Bell Ringers From Its Stores

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. Dec 2, 2004 — When Florida was reeling from one hurricane after another during the summer, the Salvation Army was a welcome sight for thousands of storm victims. But with the holidays here, the charity's bell-ringers and red kettles have been barred from Target stores.

Target decided earlier this year it could not permit Salvation Army bell ringers at any of its stores because doing so would be unfair to other charities wanting to solicit shoppers.

Now some shoppers are fuming that the nation's second-largest retailer would turn away a charity whose bell-ringers have long been a symbol of the holiday season.

"Target is this year's Ebenezer Scrooge," said Randy Sharp of the American Family Association, a Christian group which sent an e-mail this week to 2.3 million people urging them to shop elsewhere in protest of Target's policy. "They are the Grinch that stole Christmas for a lot of needy children."

Carolyn Brookter, a spokeswoman for Target, said the chain always had a "no solicitation" policy at its stores but made an exception for the Salvation Army. But Brookter said more and more groups have been asking for permission to collect money at Target, forcing the company to re-examine its relationship with the Salvation Army.

"The best way we thought to deal with this situation is to have a consistent policy," she said. "It absolutely was a difficult decision, it was not done lightly."

The Minneapolis-based chain had been the Salvation Army's second-most profitable collection point, accounting for nearly $9 million of the $93.8 million bell ringers raised nationwide in the 2003 holiday season. Wal-Mart, whose stores are the Salvation Army's most lucrative collection point, continues to allow the red-kettle collections along with Kmart.

The Salvation Army said Thursday it understands Target's position and knew in January about the new policy.

The retailer's decision is part of trend of shopping centers deciding against allowing the bell ringers because of requests for similar access by other groups, said Salvation Army spokeswoman Theresa Whitfield.

Other major retailers such as Toys "R" Us, Kohl's department stores and Barnes & Noble also don't allow bell ringers because of blanket no-solicitation policies.

"Anytime we lose a red kettle location we are disappointed," Whitfield said. "That includes not just Target, but other retailers. But it's also a privilege to raise funds, we don't lose sight of that."

Whitfield said that while the loss of Target is a concern, it likely wouldn't hurt the bell ringers' bottom-line. Contributions in the red kettles have been steadily increasing over recent years, and Whitfield said the furor over Target is actually prompting shoppers to be more generous when they do encounter a bell ringer, she said.

Target also has tried to make it up to the Salvation Army by offering to find other ways to help the charity, along with contributions it already makes through an online shopping program run by the charity.

At a Super Target in Miramar, Fla., Marina Hardin said Target is her favorite store, but she called a customer service number to protest its decision. Her brother in Texas, whose family is awaiting the birth of a child, have asked other family members not to buy gifts from a Target registry.

"I believe that the Salvation Army really helps people in need and it's always been a part of Christmas," said Hardin, a 45-year-old hotel worker.

But another shopper, Paulo Ramirez, said he was glad to see the bell ringers gone from the store.

"It's very bothersome to see them out front of the store," said the 65-year-old retiree. "It makes people feel that they have to give. There are other ways of donating."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
And this is what makes America great.

You don't like it that Target's banned the bell ringers? Then shop elsewhere. If Target feels any pinch, they'll likely change their minds.

As Abby Carmichael once said, "Morals are morals. Money is money."

200+ posts
200+ posts
Target still donates to the Salvation Army, on a corporate level. Other stores are picking up the slack, and I'm sure the Salvation Army ain't hurtin'.

I'm glad I don't see the bellringers there. We already have lots of hands in our pockets at this time of year.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard