Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
the G-man #479116 2006-11-14 12:43 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Say did he end up marrying that one mistress he had?

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Gee, MEM. I would think you'd be thrilled that the GOP might nominate a lawyer who had an affair, lived in NY, supports gay marriage and abortion, etc.

It's almost like you'd have Clinton back.

the G-man #479118 2006-11-14 1:39 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I was just curious what happened with Rudy's mistress. Personally I think NY mayor Rudy would be better than Bush. I have my doubts that Rudy would have a chance of winning the Republican primary though. We'll see the GOPpified version emerge from it's coccoon soon I'm sure.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I have my doubts that Rudy would have a chance of winning the Republican primary though.

In 2008, there's a good chance that national security will remain the number one issue in the Republican primary as voters decide who will give them the best chance of bringing independents back to the fold on this issue. Rudy is the best positioned on this issue.

Furthermore, a viable conservative alternative has not emerged.

McCain, despite his conservative social views, is at least as unpopular if not far more unpopular than Giuliani among grassroots conservatives, for a number of reasons. Mitt Romney has a record of supporting abortion and gun control, even though he's now singing a different tune. Furthermore, he has no experience to speak of on the national security/terrorism front. Newt Gingrich, while popular among conservatives, does not have a realistic chance of winning a general election.

If this were a pre-9/11 primary focused more on domestic issues I'd agree that Giuliani would be in more trouble. But given the very unique circumstances of the 2008 election, and his likely opponents, I would not write off "America's Mayor."

the G-man #479120 2006-11-28 12:43 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Giuliani Tops in New Politico Popularity Poll

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a prospective 2008 presidential candidate, has won the latest Quinnipiac University poll popularity contest, ranking highest in the warm and fuzzy feeling that voters have for politicians.

Giuliani rose eight notches over two months ago, according to the poll released Monday. On the flip side, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry dropped 15 seats to rank 20th.

Sens. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and John McCain, R-Ariz., both also strong contenders for a White House run next election, won second and third place respectively in the gauge of voters' "thermometer readings."

"As we enter the presidential campaign of 2008, Giuliani and McCain clearly are in enviable positions. They are well regarded and most Americans are quite familiar with them. Obama's showing is impressive, but four in 10 Americans still don't know enough about him to have an opinion," said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

The survey of 1,623 registered voters nationwide was conducted Nov. 13-19, the week after the midterm election. With a margin of error of 2.4 percent, the poll rates the warmth of voters' feelings for their leaders on a scale of 0-100.

It is also useful to look at a further breakdown of the numbers. Among self-described "white evangelical/born again Christians," Giuliani has a 66.3 rating, also the highest in the survey. That puts him ahead of Condoleezza Rice (64.4), President Bush (58.1), John McCain (57.1), Newt Gingrich (47.8) and Mitt Romney's (46.4).

Yes, the New Hampshire primary is a long way off, and yes, even though evangelicals have positive feelings about Giuliani, that doesn't mean they'd vote for him despite his social views. However, here we have yet another data point demonstrating Giuliani's broad appeal even among those who are supposed to be the most antagonistic toward his candidacy.

Perhaps I'm mistaken in my belief that Giuliani will ultimately capture the Republican nomination, but it seems clear that he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

the G-man #479121 2006-12-18 4:55 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
New York Post:

Giuliani has yet to announce trips to key presidential proving-ground states like Iowa and New Hampshire, although he's expected to reveal a trip list soon.

But several Giuliani supporters are eyeing a front-loaded primary calendar that could have big states like Florida and New Jersey - where social issues are not so weighty and security is a major concern - vote earlier, a move that is seen as beneficial to him.

If states like Jersey - where a move is afoot to move the primary to early February 2008 - and Florida hold their votes earlier, it could diminish the impact of the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary, both of which are dominated by social conservatives. McCain, who won New Hampshire in the 2000 election, is leading polls there.

Several insiders said the ability to organize in such states is part of what Giuliani's biggest political hire so far, Republican National Committee political director Mike DuHaime, brings to the table. DuHaime used to head the Jersey GOP and is a veteran field organizer with experience in key states around the country.

DuHaime is also likely to bring other officials from the RNC over to Giuliani's exploratory committee, the insiders said.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rangel: I support Giuliani-Kerik ticket in 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- Never say New Yorkers don't have sense of humor -- especially when they can stick it to the other side.
A powerful New York Democrat, a mischievous gleam in his eye, is offering an early endorsement in the 2008 presidential race, where the field includes many hometown hopefuls like former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Gov. George Pataki and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
"I'm supporting Giuliani for the Republican," Rep. Charles Rangel said Monday, pausing briefly before delivering the punchline. "Kerik, as well," he added, referring to Giuliani's disgraced former police commissioner Bernard Kerik.
Kerik pleaded guilty earlier this year to misdemeanor charges of taking money from contractors with alleged mob ties, when he was the city's corrections chief. He was also President Bush's choice to head the Department of Homeland Security, but the nomination was scrapped after questions arose about his background.
Political observers say Giuliani's relationship with Kerik could be a problem if the former mayor goes ahead with a run for president.

RAW

Fair play!
the G-man #479123 2006-12-18 11:40 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, after all, its not like,say, Hillary Clinton ever worked with anyone who later turned out to be unsavory.

Nope. Guiliani's doomed. What Presidential candidate can bounce back from having a co-worker or subordinate arrested?

I mean, seriously, its just so damn uncommon in U.S. politics.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Revealed: Rudy's '08 battle plans
Rudy Giuliani, at one of his frequent speeches, hasn't answered question of whether he will run for President.

Among the potential liabilities listed in the plan are Giuliani's ex-wife Donna Hanover.

Giuliani's third wife, Judith Nathan.

On the bright side, at least his other wives are not considered political liabilities

Quote:

Many of the pages from Giuliani's secret road map to the Oval Office deal with fund-raising issues.

It's clearly laid out in 140 pages of printed text, handwriting and spreadsheets: The top-secret plan for Rudy Giuliani's bid for the White House.

The remarkably detailed dossier sets out the budgets, schedules and fund-raising plans that will underpin the former New York mayor's presidential campaign - as well as his aides' worries that personal and political baggage could scuttle his run.

At the center of his efforts: a massive fund-raising push to bring in at least $100 million this year, with a scramble for at least $25 million in the next three months alone.

The loss of the battle plan is a remarkable breach in the high-stakes game of presidential politics and a potentially disastrous blunder for Giuliani in the early stages of his campaign.

RAW
and he's supposedly going to run on security issues???

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2007-01-02 11:06 PM.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Any one who supported Clinton (either one) has a hell of a lot of nerve saying that Giuliani's private life disqualifies him as President.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Any one who supported Clinton (either one) has a hell of a lot of nerve saying that Giuliani's private life disqualifies him as President.

I don't think anyone has said that Giuliani's adultery disqualifies him as a President. Just because he cheated on his wife (not sure if he cheated on more than one wife or several) doesn't mean he'll cheat on America or break any future vows or oaths he might take.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
btw, as far as I know Hillary never cheated on her husband so I'm mystified why you would include her in your post G-man. She endured one of the biggest humiliations while the whole world watched (& some cheered) I think she showed that she can take the heat & even use it to make a marvelous meal.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
She's demonstrated she can and will expl... capit... deal with just about any situation and inexplicably derive personal gain from it.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
btw, as far as I know Hillary never cheated on her husband so I'm mystified why you would include her in your post G-man. She endured one of the biggest humiliations while the whole world watched (& some cheered) I think she showed that she can take the heat & even use it to make a marvelous meal.

Actually, employees of the Arkansas Governor's Mansion constantly linked her and the Chief of the State Police in a love affair during Bill's first term in office.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I hope Giuliani is not our nominee.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

Actually, employees of the Arkansas Governor's Mansion constantly linked her and the Chief of the State Police in a love affair during Bill's first term in office.

I'm not counting the rumor mongering. Going by that she also was having tons of lesbian sex too while having people assasinated. There are people who are willing to make things up about the Clintons in between obsessing with Obama's middle name.

As I mentioned more than a few people really were happy to see her go through the Lewinski thing. Cap's post kind of underscores it with his post. He reads the ugliest things into Hillary Clinton that he really has no way of knowing about her character. All the while not saying a word about Giuliani's adultery?

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

I'm not counting the rumor mongering. Going by that she also was having tons of lesbian sex too while having people assasinated. There are people who are willing to make things up about the Clintons in between obsessing with Obama's middle name.

As I mentioned more than a few people really were happy to see her go through the Lewinski thing. Cap's post kind of underscores it with his post. He reads the ugliest things into Hillary Clinton that he really has no way of knowing about her character. All the while not saying a word about Giuliani's adultery?

I'm simply demonstrating that it's possible to make a great many assertions about a person's character at the most private levels based solely on others' opinions which are force-fed to us through our media outlets of choice.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
As the Doctor has noted, employees of the Clintons have indicated she also had affairs.

Then there's the fact that Mrs Clinton, while aware of her husband's infidelities, went out of her way to try and see them covered up.

First, there was the use of private investigators to "contain bimbo eruptions" during the campaigns. Then there was arguably her attempting to mislead the American people that the allegations about her husband and Paula Jones and Monica Lewinsky were simply fabrications of a "vast right wing conspiracy."

Apparently, the Democratic party thinks that Republicans should be held to a different standard than their own candidates. Shocking.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:...
Apparently, the Democratic party thinks that Republicans should be held to a different standard than their own candidates. Shocking.

Since you have been quick to drudge up rumor or just even make things up about the Clintons in the past, I'm not sure what your referring to. When it comes down to Bill Clinton's adultery there was no shortage of Republicans talking about it & still talk about it. (Yourself included) Your just going to have to live with the fact that Giuliani is a serial adulterer & that it's going to be brought up.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
So you're admitting to being a hypocrite. Well, at least that's a breakthrough. Maybe its the first step to getting help.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Oy.... if we have come to the collective point in history that we will accept Rudy or Hillary as legitimate, worthy candidates for president we are truly in a sad, sorry world.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Despite having really high poll numbers right now I think Giuliani's past is going to sink him Pig Iron. Beyond cheating on at least one of his 3 wives he has other political baggage. Plus he's pretty liberal on some basic wedge issues that count with many in the GOP.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
David Hill has a piece in The Hill about how those pesky intangibles -- plus strong poll numbers -- could help Rudy win over conservatives.

There are things I'd quibble with -- I don't even understand what the contention that Giuliani's patriotism is "purer" than McCain's means -- but it seems like a basically sound analysis of the current state of play.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Mayor's client roster could hurt '08 hopes

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT
Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani is weighing the ups and downs of a possible run for the presidency next time around - in 2008.
Rudy Giuliani never shrank from defending his image as mayor, but as a businessman he's gone a step further - even trademarking his own name, the Daily News has learned.

The unusual step, revealed in a recent Giuliani company contract obtained by The News, states under the heading "Use of Mr. Giuliani's Name" that the "trade names and trademarks 'Rudolph Giuliani,' or 'Giuliani Partners LLC' . . . shall not be used . . . without prior written consent."

Doing anything that "tarnishes, degrades, disparages or reflects adversely on the Giuliani" name, it adds, will be grounds for terminating the contract.

As Giuliani now ponders a run for the White House, the document underscores what has become a central question of his candidacy - how will the former mayor's roster of mostly private business clients play when viewed through the harsh prism of presidential campaign politics?

It is clearly something the mayor's own people are worried about: In a list of potential "problems" written inside a Giuliani campaign dossier and obtained by The News last week from a source sympathetic to a rival campaign, the word "business" appears at the top of the list, above even his ex-wife, Donna Hanover.

Apparently, Giuliani's own aides are already imagining the negative ads that could spring from his business dealings.

In the five years that Giuliani has worked in the private sector, his clients have run the gamut, from gambling interests like the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, which may further trouble Christian conservative voters, to large power-generators like the Atlanta-based Southern Co., which environmentalists regard as among the worst polluters in the nation.

He has lent his name to every corner of the energy industry - representing nuclear, oil and natural gas concerns - and worked with the pharmaceutical industry to keep cheap prescription drugs from flowing into the U.S. from Canada.

And that's just what is publicly known.

RAW
So it's now Rudy Giuliani ™

edited to fix TM just for the Cap

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2007-01-07 4:43 PM.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
™ = Alt+0153

Seriously, people.
Start ===> Programs ===> Accessories ===> System Tools ===> Character Map.

x styracosaurus

Reluctantly,
phoneme

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The American Spectator reports on theories that McCain is currently behind Guiliani's troubles:

The leak of the 140-page brief prepared by advisers of former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has been the talk of Washington for more than a week, and by late last week, consensus was that the document was leaked by sources with ties to the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain.

Giuliani's document was intended to give the former mayor and his senior supporters a broad overview of what would be required to mount a presidential campaign for the 2008 cycle. It is similar to documents prepared for other candidates, including former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Speaker Newt Gingrich, and Sen. Sam Brownback.

Giuliani, who rates as highly as McCain on such issues as national security and homeland defense, but is more moderate on some social issues, is viewed as the major threat to McCain in the center/moderate Republican arena.

Still, the Spectator notes, the leak this early in the campaign will probably not have long last damage for Guiliani:

"There was nothing in that document that just about everyone who know Rudy wasn't already aware of or talking about," says a Giuliani supporter. "Okay, it was embarrassing that it was lost and made public, but there is nothing here that should doom his candidacy."

the G-man #479142 2007-01-08 5:09 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
There didn't really seem to be any evidence that McCain actually had anything to do with this. I'm surprised a document like that wasn't kept more secure.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The New York Post reports that Rudy is seeking to sell Giuliani Capital Advisors, the largest arm of his four-unit business.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
When is he going to stop playing us like idiots & officially anounce that he's running? Can't wait to see what his platform will be.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Giuliani stumbles at 'What does a mayor know about Iraq?'

David Edwards
Published: Wednesday January 24, 2007

On NBC this morning, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani had his foreign policy credentials questioned. As he defended the president's escalation plan, with his own additional remarks about measuring the success of the plan, Giuliani was asked point blank "What does a mayor know about what's going on in Iraq, and foreign policy?"

The remark was prompted by Giuliani's comparison of securing Baghdad with his programs to decrease crime in New York City. The presidential hopeful offered up a variety of evidence of who he has spoken with and his travels as proof that he could speak on foreign policy.

Giuliani also referred to Anbar, the violent Sunni province in Iraq, as "Anwar."

Bush the sequal anyone?
RAW

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I didn't realize we were electing the President of Iraq.

Man, Rudy has you terrified. Of all the candidates here, he's the one you spend the most time attacking, even though he's more moderate (and, therefore, closer in views to you) than either McCain or Rommney.

I can only speculate that this means the internal Clinton polling numbers show Rudy crushing her more decisively than any other candidate would.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Absolutely....MEM must not appreciate that Rudy is for gay marriage. Dems are very afraid of him cause he would crush Hillary the cunt.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

For years, the democrat partisans have been telling us that they think the GOP should move to the center, not be extremist, tolerate gays, be pro-choice, etc.

But as soon as a moderate Republican like Rudy starts to gain momentum, they suddenly turn into a "morals" squad and start attacking him on "values" as if they were members of the moral majority.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I didn't realize we were electing the President of Iraq.

Man, Rudy has you terrified. Of all the candidates here, he's the one you spend the most time attacking, even though he's more moderate (and, therefore, closer in views to you) than either McCain or Rommney.

I can only speculate that this means the internal Clinton polling numbers show Rudy crushing her more decisively than any other candidate would.

I don't have any problem with him (other than his support of Bush).

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Displaying some knowledge of Iraq would be important for a candidate IMHO. Our troops are over there, so really all the candidates need to be up to speed on it by now. That should be something we can all agree on.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Giuliani wows 'em in N.H.

The temperature outside was a frigid 11 degrees below zero, but former Mayor Rudy Giuliani easily warmed a crowd of New Hampshire voters last night in his first speech in this presidential battleground since announcing he was exploring a bid for the White House

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I hate Giuliani--And McCain. They can both fuck themselves with pride.

Rice and Cheny in 2008!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Rudy sunk in GOP, Dean says

Rudy Giuliani crushes Sen. John McCain in most categories of a new poll, but Democratic Chairman Howard Dean believes that Giuliani will be rejected by Republican voters.

Dean says he thinks the former mayor will be ousted during the GOP's primaries because of his support for gay and abortion rights.

Yep. The Dems are terrified of Rudy.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Not really G-man. Rudy Giuliani ™ (he actually trademarked his name) is pretty much a joke IMHO. Granted he's doing great in the polls now but the focus hasn't really been on him & his rather unstable personal life.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
more unstable than Bill Clinton's? I don't know of any blue dresses out there with Rudy's cum all over it.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard