Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 136 of 137 1 2 134 135 136 137
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I'm sticking with the Tardis choosing the Doctor. The Clara thing just didn't work for me. I'll miss River too. What comes next does look interesting though.

Clara is ridiculously hot. Regrettably she wears too many clothes. Whatever happened to the days of the Doctor being accompanied by a fur-clad bikini model?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
That's a bad angle, I can't see the face of the guy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
- Lothar

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Just watched Time of the Doctor. I don't know why there's a lot of people complaining about it. It's a nice story. And it managed to tie up all the loose ends from Moffat's run (even Trenzalore) and give the doctor's story a new lease on life. Smith's old-man make up could have been better, but it gets the job done.

It has Christmas-y parts and sad parts all over, and one part got me thinking, is Tasha Lem River Song? The bit about fighting the psychopath made me wonder.

It's also nice to see Amy Pond again, even as an illusion (although that part made Clara irrelevant for the scene. It's kind of dick move on the doctor's part to opine for his old companion when the new one is standing right there.)

I'm liking Capaldi so far, based on that small scene he's had. And I'm hoping that him being old would at least prevent future romance angles with companions. The part about his kidney has a little bit of Tennant in it.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I dont watch Who much, but watched this and the last ones and I have to say this one was pretty "meh". The last one wasnt the greatest either, but it was a lot more enjoyable for me being that I liked Tennant.
My biggest issue with Smiths run wasnt that I disliked him or Pond, in fact I really liked them, it was that I never liked the writing beyond a few episodes here and there.
This tie up episode (that proved I was right about the regenerations) felt like such a cop out, especially the Time Lords decision at the end.

There were some nice touches though, such as the hologram that only Clara could see, that genuinely made me laugh. But overall it felt somewhat forced and cheesey even for Who.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Don't be gay,SoM.

I wonder why he didn't know how to fly the tardis or if he was just a little goofed up from the regeneration. Maybe the new lives the Time Lords gave him started him over with no memories of his past lives.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I do not understand why anyone would feel compelled to watch this show anymore.

Perhaps I could understand the earlier appeal of the show, but every time I randomly came across the show over the past couple of years, the stories just keep on repeating the same old ambiguous formula of making up a bunch of gibberish names for races, places, and time periods (see also: Trenzalore), and then puffing up their importance with a temporal/galactic/universal/reality destabilizing conflict or event that the doctor--in all of his irreverent "charm"--has to see through with a sense of open-minded, well-rounded optimism and at least one female sidekick.

I don't know how you guys are able stomach it.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
The 50th managed to give me everything I wanted to see, most of which was Tom Baker. aside from that, all the Doctors came together (even though it was a cheat, but really how else could you do it these days?), McGann came back and did his regeneration, we saw the mystery of the often speculated about hidden regeneration in the War Doctor and his regeneration, plus a brief glimpse of Capaldi. very well done.

had less expectations for the Christmas episode, but yeah, it was a bit underwhelming by comparison. I consider it part of a "trilogy" of sorts, with Name, Day, and Time all being different chapters in this particular story. but it wasn't quite as epic as I was hoping for.

I'm left with two questions: is Tasha Lem a version of River Song? there are lots of hints that she could be, but it could just be a red herring. and, why does the Doctor age more in certain circumstances (the Time War, Trenzalore) than in others? it must be tied in with his regeneration energy in some way.

there are now three Doctors who've undergone regeneration from natural causes, old age: Hartnell, Hurt, and Smith. both Hurt and Smith's stories had homages to Hartnell.

speaking of, nobody watched An Adventure in Time and Space?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Really? I thought the 50th was very underwhelming compared to the Christmas special. I figure the Doctors aging was just a natural progression of his life. How long do Time Lords live if they age naturally? I figure he probably spent a century or so defending Christmas so I was okay with his getting old. I just wish the next series was coming before next fall.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Really? I thought the 50th was very underwhelming compared to the Christmas special. I figure the Doctors aging was just a natural progression of his life. How long do Time Lords live if they age naturally? I figure he probably spent a century or so defending Christmas so I was okay with his getting old. I just wish the next series was coming before next fall.

A century? He said he waited 300 years for the Tardis to return.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
He spent 300 years waiting for the Tardis to return the first time (when Clara was hanging on to the key and the Tardis dragged her along) BUT the doctor tricked her again and he spent some more time defending Christmas and aging along the way until Tasha Lem went back to fetch Clara.

I'm not sure he spent a century, but he's got to have spent way more than 300 years in Trenzalore.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I based it on the serious aging he did between the 300 years mark and his regeneration. It could be less but definitely 600-1000 years.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I also meant millennium not century. My bad

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Too late, you're banned from the Doctor Who thread Doog.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
goddamnit doog

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Really? I thought the 50th was very underwhelming compared to the Christmas special.

yep. the 50th was pretty epic from where I sat. I'm not saying it was perfect or had no flaws, but I got what I wanted from it. (like I said earlier, MOST of what I wanted was a Tom Baker appearance. :D )

I liken it to a good meal consisting of my favorite foods. satisfied my hunger and tasted great while doing it. the Christmas ep. was like a desert that was appealing, but wasn't really needed after. it was good, but not great.

Quote:
I figure the Doctors aging was just a natural progression of his life. How long do Time Lords live if they age naturally? I figure he probably spent a century or so defending Christmas so I was okay with his getting old. I just wish the next series was coming before next fall.

but see, they don't always age naturally. they physically age at different rates. how many times have we seen them mention the different ages they are with no signs of physical aging? during the whole Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon storyline, Smith's Doctor appears at two different ages about two hundred years apart with no signs of physical aging. Whereas, on Trenzalore, he ages tremendously over a span of time that we don't know the full range of. He ages here, as Hurt's War Doctor did during the Time War, but doesn't seem to age at other times. This is my point. What causes the differing rate of aging?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
maybe they use some kind of topical cream. and when they run out of the stuff, they start aging rapidly.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I'm liking Capaldi so far, based on that small scene he's had. And I'm hoping that him being old would at least prevent future romance angles with companions.

Yes, it'll be funny to see the reaction of all the Who girls who watch it for the good looking Doctor and not the character. Capaldi is a Hartnell fan, so here's hoping that his Doctor uses that grumpiness.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
speaking of, nobody watched An Adventure in Time and Space?

Thought it was pretty good. Not great, but really good. Gatiss wanted to tell everyone's story, it seemed. It would have helped if he had just concentrated on one person, say Hartnell, instead of dividing up the time between Hartnell and Lambert. I do like Hartnell turning off the TARDIS console as he left.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Maybe it has to do with their interaction with the time vortex or the TARDIS. As soon as the doctor stopped traveling and stayed in one place he started aging.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Wasn't Hartnell's Doctor supposed to be about 500 years old? If so, that put's Smith's Doctor at about the same age. Maybe that's it. Or maybe it's just a very loose continuity of rules regarding the Time Lords.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
maybe it's all the sex with the dalek stalk lady

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He spent a lot of time finding Handles' interface, ifyaknowwhatImean.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I like Smith's run for the simple fact that Moffat was clearly making fun of and correcting RTD bullshit. Guess what,RTD, not all Time Lords are dicks. Maybe they do deserve to come back. Looks like Moff may be setting that up as the overarching story for the new Doctor.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lothar is getting excited at the mention of time lord dicks

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Everyone wants a dick that regenerates!

How you doin'?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lorena Bobbit doesn't.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Maybe it will grow back bigger.

How you doin'?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
it's harder to cut

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I'm liking Capaldi so far, based on that small scene he's had. And I'm hoping that him being old would at least prevent future romance angles with companions.

Yes, it'll be funny to see the reaction of all the Who girls who watch it for the good looking Doctor and not the character. Capaldi is a Hartnell fan, so here's hoping that his Doctor uses that grumpiness.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/01/doctor-whos-day-roundup-the-new-doctor-will-be-madder/

Quote:
This week, Peter Capaldi‘s interview with Doctor Who magazine has dominated all conversations about the future of the show. He has revealed that there’s a big shift on the way, and that the Doctor will no longer be considered to be boyfriend material, partly because of the clear, physical age difference between him and Clara, and partly because his Doctor will be no one’s idea of a nice, safe romantic traveling companion.

He explained: ”The last two Doctors have been ‘your boyfriend’ Doctors. It was time for the show to flip around. The new version of the show is quite old now.

“We’re going to give Clara a Doctor who is a much older, fiercer, madder, less reliable Doctor who leads her a merry dance.”

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
but Capaldi is still boyfriend material to Lothar.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
if you know what he means

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He has no idea what he means.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm liking Capaldi's Doctor so far. The stories, on the other hand, haven't been all that great. Good, but not great. The last one could have been great, but I think the bullshit with making Clara so important to making the Doctor the Doctor is something that I can't get behind. I don't want anymore companions who are as important or more important than the Doctor. The show is called 'Doctor Who'. Not 'People Who Travel with The Doctor'.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm with thedoctor. They're focusing way too much on companions lately.

Also, I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm not sold on the Danny Pink character. That bit about a single tear in his eye after being reminded of killing someone was ridiculous.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
also, he's black.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Now Wondy hates him without having ever seen an episode.

I like the over arching theme to this season about the definition of a hero. The Dalek episode was very classic Who. The Robin Hood episode was good until the end. The golden arrow bit was too gay even for a kids show. I'm willing to sit through this series as Coleman is leaving at the end (or so the rumors go). I'm just hoping that Moffat doesn't do the same shit with the next companion.

Capaldi's Doctor is a refreshing change. He's giving a great deadpan reading of lines that Smith or Tennant would recite with a flourish or whimsical excitement. I like that he's a bit sneaky and willing to put others in danger to pursue his plans.

Page 136 of 137 1 2 134 135 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard