Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
I hate to burst your bubble g-man but taxes dont really have alot to do with the price of gas. i live on the border of ohio/ky, and close to indiana, gas costs roughly the same withing 2 or 3 cents, ohios tax is 24 cents p gallon, ky 16, indiana 18, why are pump prices the same? not taxes. the oil companies have found the ceiling they can charge and do, if it wasnt gouging i could get gas 8 cents cheaper a gallon in ky.

The neither proves nor disproves my point.

No one, least of all me, has claimed that taxes are the only factor in the cost of gas. The only thing we've pointed out is that it is a factor, and one that businesses have virtually no control over.

Also, an eight cents per gallon markup is not "gouging." "Price gouging" means a dramatic increase in the price of a commodity or good. Eight cents a gallon is a fairly small increase, percentage-wise, and approximately half (or less) the cost of the tax, which you claim to be insignificant.

You are, correct, however, when you imply that companies will charge whatever the market will allow, which is, of course, the basic law of supply and demand.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
the oil companies are gouging not the local guy. and ive proved taxes are almost zero factor. you take away the tax and it goes to the oil company not us. this is proven by visual fact, not youre conjecture.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the oil companies are gouging not the local guy. and ive proved taxes are almost zero factor. you take away the tax and it goes to the oil company not us. this is proven by visual fact, not your conjecture.

Way back over a year ago, when this thread started, I posted a chart listing the various factors that contribute to the cost of a gallon of gas.

Taxes were one factor. Other factors included the cost of distribution, marketing and refining, as well as the cost of the crude oil itself.

Over the past few months taxes have remained stable. So, therefore, you are correct, insofar as taxes aren't driving the current price hikes.

However, as noted above, there is more to the cost of gasoline than taxes and profits. Therefore, the mere fact that taxes are stable doesn't mean that profits are the only reason for the rise.

Fox example, on the factors noted above was refining costs. Recently, there was a spike in refining costs, because the government mandated the refineries switch to a different mix of gas/ethanol and because a number of refineries were shut down by Katrina.

Another factor was the rise in cost of crude oil. With China using more crude, for example, there was less oil to go around. Less supply means higher costs.

Also you need to remember that much of the cost of crude oil goes to the suppliers. The suppliers are not the oil companies, but OPEC (for example). So telling, say, Exxon to lower its prices doesn't mean a thing since we can't tell OPEC to lower the price it charges Exxon.

Getting back to taxes: The reason taxes are important is that they are the one part of the price that IS set by the government and, therefore, the one part of the price the government can immediately control. The other factors are the ones noted above.

Granted, if the government cut all the taxes and the price stayed exactly the same, then you might have proof of "gouging." However, until you eliminate all the variables in any equation, not just one, any conclusion you arrive at is, at best, conjecture.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the oil companies are gouging not the local guy. and ive proved taxes are almost zero factor. you take away the tax and it goes to the oil company not us. this is proven by visual fact, not youre conjecture.

It's not the local stations that earn 9 cents on the gallon, that's the oil companys profits. So if we decided to make it illegal for gas companies to earn a profit we would effectively lower gas by 9 cents. At 20 gallons a week that's 1.80 a week. Of coarse that's if we completely outlawed profit. If the oil companies made no profit, guess what? They would stop providing us with oil.

It's also important to note that while the oil companies have seen an increase in profits to coincide with with increased demand, they haven't seen much of an increase in thier profit margins.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

It's not the local stations that earn 9 cents on the gallon, that's the oil companys profits. So if we decided to make it illegal for gas companies to earn a profit we would effectively lower gas by 9 cents. At 20 gallons a week that's 1.80 a week. Of coarse that's if we completely outlawed profit. If the oil companies made no profit, guess what? They would stop providing us with oil.

this is going in my "WBAM Bible."

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

It's also important to note that while the oil companies have seen an increase in profits to coincide with with increased demand, they haven't seen much of an increase in thier profit margins.

What strange alignment of the planets has brought this about? I agree with WBAM. I would add that oil companies lose money, too. Check out the period between 1983 and 1993 on Bloomberg. They shut down production because it was not economic to keep them open.

What caused prices to fall? You and I. Consumers cut back and became more efficient. When everyone dumps their SUVs for a new Prius, prices will drop.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I'm glad your keeping information like this collected somewhere so you can refer to it later. It may help you understand your world better someday.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I'm glad your keeping information like this collected somewhere so you can refer to it later. It may help you understand your world better someday.

My world doesn't slap its wife around, so I'm not sure what insight I'll get.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Hmm, I'll add that to me list of Ray "facts".

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

http://www.rkmbs.com/...true#Post703702

Its "Ray facts," not Ray "facts."

Stop flip flopping

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

http://www.rkmbs.com/...true#Post703702

Its "Ray facts," not Ray "facts."

Stop flip flopping

Acctually, I've reorginised my filing system. It's now "Ray 'facts'"

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Maybe it should be "Ray lies"?

But seriously....gas prices are going up because, as Jay noted, demand has gone up and supply has gone down. That's basic economics, nothing more, nothing less.

There isn't much the government can do for a quick fix...except lower the taxes on the product.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

uh, i posted an article you disagreed with and then blasted me for posting an editorial (ie. opinionated piece).
you then posted proof from "opinion"journal.com and then went on to start a million threads from "opinion"journal.com

Bow ties are coool.
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
3 words

Peak Oil Production

Racks be to MisterJLA
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
It's all your fault, you americans!!

I'd say it was the chinese's fault too, but it's political incorrect to pick on asians

Racks be to MisterJLA
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

uh, i posted an article you disagreed with and then blasted me for posting an editorial (ie. opinionated piece).
you then posted proof from "opinion"journal.com and then went on to start a million threads from "opinion"journal.com

Funny how that works isn't it.

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Chant said:
It's all your fault, you americans!!

I'd say it was the chinese's fault too, but it's political incorrect to pick on asians

However, if we in the US actually did cut back on gas guzzlers, then you would be able to blame China. Unless you would prefer to blame OPEC. That would be up to you. But the first blame goes to those who put their useless SUV's over the price of gas for everyone else.

The needs of the many outway the needs of the few, but the few are assholes, and their needs obviously come first in the 21st century.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Poll: More Drivers Feel Pinch at the Pump

High pump prices are pinching the pocketbooks of seven in 10 Americans, a financial hardship that more middle- and higher-income drivers say they are beginning to feel, an AP-Ipsos poll found.

With gasoline prices topping $3 a gallon for regular unleaded in many areas, people say they are driving less, cutting short vacations and curtailing their use of heating and air conditioning.

The number of people who expect rising gas prices to cause financial problems in the months ahead has jumped from 51 percent a year ago to 70 percent now, according to AP polling. This increase has been dramatic among people who earn more than $50,000.

Analysts blame the higher prices on a tight worldwide supply, unstable politics in oil-producing countries, an inadequate number of U.S. refineries and delays in the U.S. in switching over to summer blends of fuel.

Whatever the reasons, soaring gas prices are affecting people's behavior.

Two-thirds of those surveyed said they have cut back on driving and have reduced the use of heating and air conditioning. One-half say they have trimmed vacation plans.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
The current plans for immediate relief all tend to subdisise OPEC. I did see Pelosi talking about long term plans that sounded good to me....“Fourth, we recognize that only innovation and technology can lead America to energy independence. We should be spending America’s energy dollars in the Midwest, not in the Middle East."

President Bush has also been touting alternative fuel sources, such as ethanol and wind power.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yet the only thing I see that most of the GOP has really pushed for in all this time is drilling in the Anwar. What is the party in charge willing to act on?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
For example, Bush proposes to spend an initial $120 million on research, development and production for a promising ethanol-based fuel.

In addition, Republican governors are moving forward with plans to promote ethanol in the states.

This is not to denigrate Democrats who are making similar calls, simply a note that this seems to be a bi-partisan issue.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hawaii Stops Gasoline Price Controls

Hawaii's gasoline price controls have sputtered to a stop.

The island state whose drivers pay the highest pump prices in the nation has given up on price caps after an eight-month, first-in-the-nation experiment. Some complained that the restrictions actually led to higher prices

Gas is particularly expensive in Hawaii because of high state taxes and because of the costs of transporting oil across the Pacific. Last fall, Hawaii became the only state to cap the cost of fuel to try to give some relief to motorists.

One study by an economics professor showed the gas cap cost consumers 5 cents more per gallon. An analysis by the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism estimated that island motorists paid $54.9 million more than they otherwise would have in the first five months under the cap.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
House Votes to Keep Offshore Drilling Ban

Despite talk of an energy crisis and the need for independence from foreign oil, Congress seems to be in no mood to open more of the country's coastal waters to energy development.

The House late Thursday rejected an attempt to end the quarter-century ban on oil and natural gas drilling that has been in effect for 85 percent of the country's coastal waters from Alaska to New England despite arguments that new supplies are needed to lower energy costs.

Lawmakers from Florida and California, who led the fight to continue the drilling moratorium, said they feared energy projects as close as three miles from shore could jeopardize multibillion-dollar tourism industries in their states.

The failure of this attempt to lift the ban on offshore drilling is an atrocity.

First, it only applied to natural gas, not oil, and natural gas evaporates anyway so it doesn't cause oil slicks, etc.

Second, all the lifting of the ban would do is let states have the choice to opt out of the ban. So under the proposal, if Florida still wanted its precious little ban in place, it could keep it, even if the proposal passed -- but Virginia, which does want to let gas drilling occur, would have that option. What's so wrong with giving the states the option?!?

This just infuriates me.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Gas Prices Aren’t Deterring Summer Travelers

Nearly 38 million people will travel this Memorial Day weekend, and most of them will drive on America's roads and highways — a record number of travelers, according to AAA.

High gasoline prices? Not much of a problem, it seems.

"People are traveling just as much," said Philip Reed, the consumer advice editor at Edmunds.com, an automotive Web site. "There is much complaining about fuel prices, but there is still no substitute for the car and for the family vacation. That's a priority that people aren't willing to sacrifice yet."

By Labor Day, drivers will have logged more than 800 billion miles, or 8.6 billion miles a day, and will have consumed 36 billion gallons of fuel crisscrossing the United States, according to the Energy Department.

That is why Memorial Day to Labor Day accounts for the peak in gasoline consumption, why refineries have been scrambling to prepare in time and why gasoline imports have risen to near records to make up for shortfalls. Drivers seem undeterred.

And that, my friends, is one of the reason for high gas prices: the demand for unneccessary travel.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
GAS PRICE COULD FALL 60 CENTS

The pain at the pump is easing.

Analysts expect gas prices to plummet as much as 60 cents a gallon this week, as the summer driving seasons closes following Labor Day.

"Gas rises quickly on the way up, but it goes down a lot slower," said Peter Beutel, an energy analyst at Cameron Hanover. "Motorists can expect a knockoff to happen this week."

And analysts predict that pump prices may plunge toward the $2.40-a-gallon mark by early November

500+ posts
500+ posts
It's my fault

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Gas prices always drop after the summer travel season.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yes and they alwayse go up durring teh summer and yet you all seemed to blame THAT on Bush, so why can;t we give him credit for them going back down?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I didn't blame Bush for gas prices going up this summer so your just blowing hot air. You wanting to pretend gas prices went down because of Bush comes as no surprise to me though.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
lol, yer funny.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I didn't blame Bush for gas prices going up this summer...

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said on May 7:
Yet the only thing I see that most of the GOP has really pushed for in all this time is drilling in the Anwar. What is the party in charge willing to act on?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I didn't blame Bush for gas prices going up this summer...

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said on May 7:

So... MEM ignores facts and changes his position to suit the debate at hand. So what? All you've done is prove he's a consistant Dem.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
To be fair, its possible that MEM is trying to say that he doesn't blame BushTM for the increase specifically caused by summer travel, but does for higher prices in general.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
To be fair, its possible that MEM is trying to say that he doesn't blame Bush for the increase specifically caused by summer travel, but does for higher prices in general.

If you considered the context & note that I posted that back in May, it's more than possible. There are also other factors involved like China's increase in consumption that are really beyond blaming a political party for.

Fair play!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Gas prices did indeed decrease and fall under $3.00 in the Chicagoland area. They still suck, though. $2.89 my ass!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Killconey sighting!!!

$2.41 here.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Eat Me
500+ posts
Eat Me
500+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:
Gas prices did indeed decrease and fall under $3.00 in the Chicagoland area. They still suck, though. $2.89 my ass!

$2.99 is the cheapest in my neighborhood, most other places haven't quite reached under $3, Meijer is the closest @ $3.05

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
2.88 by me! Though I'm sure it went up already.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Four months ago soaring gas prices were President Bush's fault. Today, as we near the November election, they're falling, which The Washington Post attributes to "good luck."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Energy prices are down, maybe heading even lower . . . and that's...bad?

So writes columnist Raymond Learsy today. He begins by citing that irrefutable authority, Al Gore, for the proposition that "we are near the tipping point of climatic catastrophe."

He next bemoans that "never or at least rarely ever, has there been a serious discussion on curtailing the availability of gasoline."

By all means, I'd encourage Democrats everywhere to run on that platform!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard