Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
I've heard the name come up a few times, usually followed by complaints about what he's doing to Batman's Rogues Gallery (and something about Prometheus) in the pages of Gotham Knights, which I don't read. Can anyone give me details? (Don't worry about spoilers.)

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
plllllllllllltttttttttttttttttttttttt....one of the staple of shitty dc writers???

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I read here at Rob's Flippin' Message Boards that he turned Prometheus into a gun crazy, one-dimensional character.

He also gave away The Joker's origin, which was ambigous for as long as I can remember.

Finally, he turned the aftermath of "Hush" into an indecipherable mess.

In other words, he will have a long reign as a Batman writer.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I heard winick helped though...

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:Finally, he turned the aftermath of "Hush" into an indecipherable mess.

So he kept in the spirit of Hush?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:

I wouldn't doubt it.

My Batman zombie days are over, so I'm going by what I've read here.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
dick, we hate you..fuck off..

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:Finally, he turned the aftermath of "Hush" into an indecipherable mess.

So he kept in the spirit of Hush?

Yes

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
thar was meant for R3X

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:

Indeed he did.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
what????

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
I've heard the name come up a few times, usually followed by complaints about what he's doing to Batman's Rogues Gallery (and something about Prometheus) in the pages of Gotham Knights, which I don't read. Can anyone give me details? (Don't worry about spoilers.)

Call yourself a Batfan and don't read all the shit - shame on you!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
25+ posts
25+ posts
The Bat-villains have been treated poorly lately.

Lieberman

The Joker: Gave a definitive origin and had beaten by Hush.
Poison Ivy: About to depower or kill her.
Riddler: Had him reverted back to a B-list villain and beaten by Hush.

Winick

The Joker: Had beaten by a new Red Hood.
Scarecrow: Turned him into an actual beast.

Rucka

Ra's al Ghul: Killed him.

Loeb

Two-Face: Cured him and put him into comic book limbo.

Now we have a new face for the Rogues Gallery:

In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out. - Joker
500+ posts
500+ posts
It merely sounds as if he shook up the status quo.

Which is a good thing.

And when has the Riddler been "A" class?

A guy who commits petty crime and bothers to leave clues as to how to catch him, isn't exactly the stuff of great drama.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
He became A-class after Hush.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Agreed. A lot of potential now just flushed down the drain. Pity...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
It merely sounds as if he shook up the status quo.

Which is a good thing.

Bad ideas that "shake up the status quo" aren't a good things.

Good ideas that "shake up the status quo", however, are good things.

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

Carnyfoke said:
The Bat-villains have been treated poorly lately.

Lieberman

The Joker: Gave a definitive origin and had beaten by Hush.

What was the origin he came up with?

Quote:

Riddler: Had him reverted back to a B-list villain and beaten by Hush.

How was he reverted to B-villain?

Quote:

Rucka

Ra's al Ghul: Killed him.

When and how?

Not that I'd put too much stock in it - al Ghul's been killed off before (Batman #335, Detective #490, Batman #400, possibly others)

BTW, what's Lieberman's background that earned him enough clout to get to re-write Batman's Rogues?

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-04-18 3:26 AM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

Some guy killed his family and he went insane.....That's it. Completely ignorant of Killing Joke's set [continuity/overall point for Joker's character].

Quote:

How was he reverted to B-villain?

Leiberman has essentially wrote him out as a weakling through and through. Not at all smart. Just a backseat rogue that moves on strings twisted by other characters.

Quote:

When and how?

In Death and the Maidens he replaced Re's Al Ghul with his "other daughter". She killed him and had his ashes burned and then--This is the worst part--Caused Talia to loathe Batman (after she put her in the Laz Pit.

Leiberman doesn't have a background, he's just some writer. Seriously, nuthin' to it.

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

Some guy killed his family and he went insane.....That's it. Completely ignorant of Killing Joke's set [continuity/overall point for Joker's character].

Quote:

When and how?

In Death and the Maidens he replaced Re's Al Ghul with his "other daughter".

Quote:

She killed him and had his ashes burned and then--This is the worst part--Caused Talia to loathe Batman (after she put her in the Laz Pit.

Quote:

Leiberman doesn't have a background, he's just some writer. Seriously, nuthin' to it.

In that case, I oughtta be able to get to write "Batman." I'd undo all the damage this yutz has done. I'd find a way somehow - writing off Joker's origin as just another imaginary version of The Joker's past (in "Killing Joke," doesn't he say that he remembers his past one way, and then another? Implying that the origin in "Killing Joke" might be one of several origins he remembers for himself?)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
In that case, I oughtta be able to get to write "Batman." I'd undo all the damage this yutz has done. I'd find a way somehow - writing off Joker's origin as just another imaginary version of The Joker's past (in "Killing Joke," doesn't he say that he remembers his past one way, and then another? Implying that the origin in "Killing Joke" might be one of several origins he remembers for himself?)

Precisely.

I don't see things as too far gone. Stuff can still be saved.

Joker's psyche can get a new revelation that corrects his current one, confirming it wasn't his real past. And with that, Riddler could say he lied and was merely scheming everyone.

Talia could just be faking it so she can disillusion her sister, save her father, plus she'd still love Batman.

Two Face can mutilate his own face.(don't ask)

Hell, even Harley can be fixed after her junked her book so badly.

This isn't to say that I dislike all forms of change, but these particular ones are jerk-stupid awful.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

I actually always liked the Two-Face character from Dark Knight Returns - a.k.a. Face - largely because all his scars were completely internal. It made him a much more intruiguing character in my mind...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I share that setiment, but I'm just saying that without the conflict of interest going on inside of Harvey, he's lost his coolness factor. Now (provided they actually incorporate Miller's idea), he's just a crime boss, a thug. Rather one note if you ask me. I'm thinkin', as a story idea, that his conscience is able to break through eventually and try to take control again. The most effective way to do that would be to create a type of symbolic juncture through his previous physical affliction; he takes a knife or acid to his face and perhaps succeeds in restoring half and half but doesn't get to finish ruining his face.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Does anyone remember that really good "noir" story that Dini and Timm did in one of the "Black and White" books in which Harvey was cured and started dating a woman with a psychotic twin sister?

THAT was how you write Two-face.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree. He should date. They should de-gay Montoya and have him ask her out.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i really liked all the things loeb did to shake up the status quo. the HUSH storyline itself may have been presented like a "villain of the month" brochure, however, so many cool new possibilities were laid out.

a healed two-face, an empowered riddler, various rogues wars (riddler / ra's, hush / two-face, etc), a seemingly amped up ivy, the introduction of "hush," the better rebirth of jason todd, etc, etc.

all great possibilities.

ruined, only months later, in a dreadful sequence of gotham knights issues.

the joker was awful. he was whiney and not funny and not even really crazy. prometheus was a hitman, and a poor one. hush was awful, and still had issues with bandages (saw darkman. not good then.) ...batman was pathetic. green arrow (ollie) was the better fighter and better detective of the two.

its like every page introduced new, awful crap. i couldn't believe an editor would accept one of these stories, let alone a series of half a dozen, or so.

it was really, really bad.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I agree. He should date. They should de-gay Montoya and have him ask her out.

She's gay now? Didn't she lose a boyfriend to the plague during "Contagion"?

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

Wasn't there already a Batman annual where Two-Face gets plastic surgery and rescars his own face?

I wouldn't put it past Two-Face to re-mutilate his face.

Quote:

This isn't to say that I dislike all forms of change, but these particular ones are jerk-stupid awful.

Agreed.

This isn't the first time you and I have agreed on stuff, but it's still disturbing every time it happens.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Wasn't there already a Batman annual where Two-Face gets plastic surgery and rescars his own face?

Really? Got an issue number?

Quote:

MisterJLA said:
She's gay now? Didn't she lose a boyfriend to the plague during "Contagion"?

Indeed she did, but Rucka decided to ignore the fact that she was going to spend her life with a man and titled her as "always gay" to get his storyline through the door.

Fuckin' editors.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
it was really, really bad.

Rob, you're being very negative don't you think?

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

Indeed she did, but Rucka decided to ignore the fact that she was going to spend her life with a man and titled her as "always gay" to get his storyline through the door.

Fuckin' editors.

Your sexual preference doesn't preclude falling in love with someone. It's just not quite the same. I've had serious girlfriends in the past that I've had every intention of one day taking to the alter. And with women, i've noticed that there are relatively few 'true' lesbians. They tend, more often than not, to oscilate between men and women.

The whole character developement for Montoya was believable, although I'll agree poorly executed. Franlkly though, I don't think anyone wants to read a tremendous exposition on why she's made her choices in a Batman comic. A bit character is just there for scenery, and cannon fodder should the need for a tragic death in a cross over 'event' ever arise.

FYI.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Your sexual preference doesn't preclude falling in love with someone. It's just not quite the same. I've had serious girlfriends in the past that I've had every intention of one day taking to the alter. And with women, i've noticed that there are relatively few 'true' lesbians. They tend, more often than not, to oscilate between men and women.

My disagreements with the homosexual opinions on physical attraction aside, that's not Rucka's lip-serivice. His tune is that she's been living a lie all her life and keeping her gayness a secret. I truly doubt she'd go for a life of unhappiness in an straight marriage to keep that secret considering the independence of her personality. She prolly would have stayed alone. She loved Johnny romantically. There's not doubt about that. Rucka's just being a PC prick, media-whoring out to GLAAD like Brubaker.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
You forgot Winick...

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
She loved Johnny romantically. There's not doubt about that.

I never said anything to contradict that fact, niether did Rucka. I mean you're free not to like it and all for artistic merit. I was just pointing out that the scenario is a very realistic one that happens to people all the time.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So you're saying she tricked herself into being attracted to Johnny's body?

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
So you're saying she tricked herself into being attracted to Johnny's body?

Being attracted to someone physically and loving someone are not always the same thing. When you are in the closet and unwilling or unable to come out you can overlook physical satisfaction. I don't expect you to understand, given your narrow life view and limited realm of experience. I am merely stating that it is reality for many people.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Okay, now you're just spewing ad hominem to make your case seem more valid. Nothing you say about your self-proclaimed monopoly in understanding physical attraction will suddenly overlook Rucka's intent to characterize Montoya's awareness of being in the closet. At which point, her character wouldn't suggest she'd trap herself in a marriage that she'd hate. Going over the severity of physical attraction and then saying it can easily be thrown in the backseat sounds so cheap especially with an 'I-don't-expect-you-to-understand-it' tune. Being human, I understand emotion well enough. Please don't imply otherwise simply cuz' you're gay and I'm not.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Whatever Pariah. I am sick of this shit with you. If you don't buy it, fine. I'm telling you the story rang true for me...that's it. I'm not debating this with you. It was just an attempt to help you see the reality behind the situation. I really don't care about your personal opinions on the issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard