Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts

Okay, as promised from my last column, let's look at the outfields in MLB. What I've done is taken the starting three plus the fourth OF and listed them with a grade. I swore at least 1 team would have received a "D" grade, but so far every actually looks to have a good set of OF's playing for them. If I misrepresented a team I apologize. So, here we go....

AMERICAN LEAGUE

ANA: Guerrero/Anderson/Finley/Davanon - A
BAL: Bigbie/Gibbons/Matos/Newhan - C
BOS: Damon/Ramirez/Nixon/Payton - B+
CHI: Podsednik/Rowand/Dye/Everett - B-
CLE: Crisp/Blake/Sizemore/Gonzalez - B
DET: Higginson/White/Monroe/Thames - C
KC: DeJesus/Long/Guiel/Stairs - D
MIN: Stewart/Hunter/Jones/Ford - B+
NYY: Sheffield/Williams/Matsui/Sierra - B+
OAK: Kotsay/Byrnes/Swisher/Thomas - B
SEA: Suzuki/Reed/Winn/Ibanez - B-
TB: Crawford/Huff/Baldelli/Sanchez - A-
TEX: Hidalgo/Mench/Matthews/Dellucci - C-
TOR: Rios/Wells/Johnson/Gross - C+

NATIONAL LEAGUE

ARI: Gonzalez/Green/TerreroMcCracken - C-
ATL: Jones/Mondesi/Langerhans/Jordan - C+
CHI: Patterson/Burnitz/Hollandsworth/Dubois - C-
CIN: Dunn/Junior/Pena/Freel - A
COL: Wilson/Mohr/Holliday/Freeman - C
FLA: Pierre/Cabrera/Encarnacion/Harris - B
HOU: Biggio/Palmeiro/Lane/Berkman - C
LAD: Werth/Bradley/Drew/Ledee - B
MIL: Clark/Lee/Jenkins/Hart - B-
NYM: Beltran/Floyd/Cameron/Diaz - C+
PHI: Lofton/Abreu/Burrell/Michaels - B-
PIT: Lawton/Bay/Redman/Mackowiak - C
STL: Walker/Edmonds/Sanders/Mabry - A-
SD: Roberts/Giles/Klesko/Nady - C+
SF: Alou/Grissom/Ellison/Bonds - B
WAS: Chavez/Guillen/Sledge/Wilkerson - B

Despite the fact some players like Berkman, Baldelli and Bonds haven't played yet, I added them as the 4th OF. But the fact that they haven't played yet affected the grade slightly for me.

Now, my player to watch this week is SP Gustavo Chacin of the Blue Jays. He's 3-0 right now with a ERA of 1.42. His last start had him going 8 innings of two hit, shut out ball and last year at AAA New Hampshire he went 16-2 with a 2.92 ERA. If he's available in your fantasy league, snag him now!

And then trade him in June before he wears out!

Now, the latest from the Truth and Rumors column:

Quote:

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen delivered a very public message to Frank Thomas -- who returned to Chicago to rehabilitate from a fractured ankle -- that this White Sox team was built for unity and on attitude. "It is good to have him here, because now he can see a winning attitude, because he was part of the bad attitude [of the past]," the Sox manager said. "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude. Now he can see the guys, how we handle stuff, why we're not whining every day, why we're hitting today after a day game. Everybody is happy, and I want Frank to be part of it."
-- Chicago Tribune

Asked to explain, Guillen said, "Because he was here for 20 years and he was part of the bad attitude. And he was a big part of the bad attitude. Why? Because he was their leader. He got better last year; his attitude [before that] was horrible here. Everybody's was."
-- Chicago Tribune

The Pirates have one of the least productive offenses in baseball, but GM Dave Littlefield, who has maintained for months that he would like to trade for a power hitter, apparently is feeling no additional urgency. "Obviously, I'm not pleased with the way we've hit the ball so far, but there are too many signs that we will improve, too many players with track records," he said.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates soon will have three healthy catchers in Benito Santiago (flu), David Ross and Humberto Cota, (on a rehabilitation assignment in Indianapolis). Littlefield said no decision has been made on who might be the odd man out, but he strongly suggested he will not keep three.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It still figures that Ugueth Urbina would be a contender's best friend if he were added to a wobbly bullpen down the stretch. The Tigers will gauge their own chances before they make any deals, but figure on something significant happening at least by the trade deadline.
-- Detroit News

The Indians thought Juan Gonzalez would start playing today, but GM Mark Shapiro said, "I think that's been pushed back." He said he has not thought about releasing Gonzalez because there's still a chance he can help the Indians this year."
-- Cleveland Plain Dealer

The Padres won't know for sure how long shortstop Khalil Greene will be out until team physician Jan Fronek re-examines the break between the first and second knuckles today. "We're looking at a month ... best-case scenario," manager Bruce Bochy said.
-- San Diego Union Tribune

Tony Reagins, the Angels' director of player development, said Cuban defector Kendry Morales was "in the final stages" of gaining citizenship in the Dominican Republic, a prerequisite to securing the passport the 21-year-old slugger needs to travel to the U.S. Morales, who signed a six-year contract with the Angels, has been stuck in the Dominican since August.
-- Los Angeles Times

Moises Alou is running at 75 percent of normal effort and seems on track to come off the disabled list when eligible Friday. Head trainer Stan Conte said the outfielder is stepping up his activities daily but cautioned that clearing the final hurdle, running at 100 percent, can be tricky.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

The Reds placed pitcher Ramon Ortiz on the 15-day disabled because of a strained right groin.
-- Cincinnati Enquirer

That's it for me for now. Let's talk baseball...

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
The Orioles outfield seems pretty "D" to me. They're certainly not better than the Cubs outfield or the D-Backs outfield(which, if you're including Juan Gonzalez and Barry Bonds, should include Jose Cruz Jr).

I'd agree that the Angels in the outfield are the best, even without Tony Danza.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
DET: Higginson/White/Monroe/Thames - C

I can't argue with that grade. What I'd like to know is how you would grade them if Logan was on the list instead of Higginson? If Logan can stay consistant, he'll be the center fielder for the rest of the season, and maybe into the future. He won't be leading off for a while, though. While the Tigers love what he's been doing in leadoff situations, it's only been a couple of games, and he's still got a lot to learn. Inge sees him as the leadoff man in the future. It helps that he's a switch hitter, and he knows what he can and can't do when batting. He is expected to bunt towards the gap between the SS and the second baseman when batting left. He is strong when batting right, so he can try to line it out of the infield. But they really just want him to keep the ball down and on the ground. The guy his unbelievably fast.

Pittsburgh has an two many catchers, and they need a power hitter. Who needs a catcher? Who needs a closer? And who has a pitcher that the Tigers might be interested in? Would Thames be a good fit for Pittsburgh? Is there someone out there who can make this deal work for the Tigers to part with Young? I admit that the guy is hitting very well, but if Maggs comes back and gets into a groove, and if Young continues to make an ass of himself, it would be wise to take advantage of his value in a trade. I don't see anything happening until the deadline. When is that?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
The Orioles outfield seems pretty "D" to me. They're certainly not better than the Cubs outfield or the D-Backs outfield(which, if you're including Juan Gonzalez and Barry Bonds, should include Jose Cruz Jr).

I'd agree that the Angels in the outfield are the best, even without Tony Danza.

Owwww.....that hurts because I am a huge Cruzer fan. I saw him come up in the M's organization and I knew we got hosed when we traded him to Toronto. I know he really got soured on life in MLB because Mariner management promised him to his face they wouldn't trade him and literally did the next day. I've always believed if he was treated better if he wouldn't be a more consistent player. More like Abreu is now.

My fave outfield is Tampa's. I love what Lou's done there.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I wasn't saying Cruz was bad(though he certainly hasn't lived up to his minor league hype). I was just saying that, like Gonzalez and Bonds, he's currently on the DL, but still on the roster, so if those two are counted towards their team ratings, so should he.

I'm a fan of his, too, but moreso because of his father.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
I wasn't saying Cruz was bad(though he certainly hasn't lived up to his minor league hype). I was just saying that, like Gonzalez and Bonds, he's currently on the DL, but still on the roster, so if those two are counted towards their team ratings, so should he.

I'm a fan of his, too, but moreso because of his father.

I knew what meant. However, I feel that if the M's kept Cruz, he'd be a consistent 30-30 guy and bat about .290 and be getting 100 RBI's on a regular basis. He really felt lied to when he was traded to Toronto and I don't blame him. Serves them right to have the deal not work out. The M's got Paul Spoljaric and Mike Timlin and they lost Timlin to free agency the following season. The trade really messed his head up.

Granted, that's life in the big leagues but at least with most players they're prepared for it to a degree. Cruz was blindsided. By the owner no less. Amazingly, the Sonics did the same to Desmond Mason and IMO he's messed up now as well.

But enough Seattle sports history. As far as the Tigers are concerned, I was wondering how they'd look if they kept Alex Sanchez and he never got suspended. I think he would have upped them to a "C+" just on the fact that he's a great stolen base threat. You'd think someone with his speed could cover a lot of ground on the field though but he just seems to be.......problematic with the glove.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I think Logan is better than Sanchez. He seems to know what to do at the plate, on base, and in the field.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>

Link Copied to Clipboard