Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts

Well, we've gotten through the first month of the season. So what have we seen so far? We've seen a steroid scandal creep into the season, congressional hearings on the state of MLB, one MLB suspension for steroid use, a whole truckload of minor league suspensions for steroid use, two near brawls in the same game, the debut of a new NL team in Washington DC, the Big Unit in pinstripes, Johan Santana pitching even better than last year and Ichiro hitting better than last year. Miguel Tejada is an early MVP candidate and Barry Bonds orders all Giants players not to discuss his medical condition with the media. Other than that, its business as usual in MLB.

Here's a column from
Fox Sports analyzing the 2005 season's early trends:

Quote:

After a bizarre first month, it stands to reason that major league baseball soon will return to order.

Then again, maybe not.

Here's my take on several early trends.

The demise of the Yankees. This might be only the beginning. The Yankees feature more dead wood than a petrified forest, and their large number of excessive contracts combined with a weak farm system leave them with little maneuverability. The quick promotion of righthander Chien-Ming Wang to the rotation was not part of the plan.

The dominance of the Marlins' rotation. It's going to continue. The Marlins began the week leading the majors with a 2.34 rotation ERA, and concerns that their starters will wear down are misplaced. Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett and Dontrelle Willis averaged a mere 98 pitches per start while going a combined 12-2 with a 1.71 ERA.

Surprise teams. The White Sox won't seriously challenge the Twins if their on-base percentage remains among the lowest in the majors. The Dodgers should win the NL West if closer Eric Gagne makes a strong recovery from a sprained elbow. The Diamondbacks' bullpen isn't nearly as deep.

The woes of the Giants and Cubs. Both teams look doomed. The Giants still don't know when Barry Bonds will return. They are without closer Armando Benitez for four months. And their rotation, expected to be a strength, began the week ranked next-to-last in the NL with a 5.00 ERA. The Cubs have no closer, no Nomar, a fragile Kerry Wood and seemingly little hope.

Okay, now it's a little late for this since he pitched today, but my player to watch this week is Jarrod Washburn of LAA. Why you ask? His WHIP is high at 1.53, but Washburn hasn't lost, has a 3.38 ERA, and 22/7 K/BB rate, so I'm optimistic he can have success in Safeco (3.73 ERA there since 2002) and against the Tigers (3.90 ERA vs. DET since 2002) this week.

As of this posting he shut out the M's at Safeco Field tonight.

Now for the latest rumors:

Quote:

For the second time in eight days, Barry Bonds had fluid removed from his surgically repaired right knee, he said on his Web site Sunday. "We talked about my knee and took a few X-rays," Bonds said. "After looking at the X-rays, we decided it would be a good idea to drain the knee. This draining is to make sure there isn't any infection and that I'm healing properly. Overall everything looks positive."
-- San Francisco Chronicle

Giants head trainer Stan Conte has no idea if Armando Benitez will pitch again this season. The problem is a lack of precedence with this type of torn hamstring. Few baseball players have had the injury, and none was a pitcher.

Kerry Wood will miss at least one start and perhaps more depending on results of tests that will be done on his balky right shoulder Monday in Chicago.
-- Chicago Tribune

Ex-Pirates manager Jim Leyland said in the wake of rumors that he is the logical successor if Pittsburgh continues to falter, "I don't want Lloyd McClendon's job. Lloyd is my friend. Lloyd McClendon is a good manager. I've been very impressed. I've never seen him not prepared. I've never seen him not ready for a situation." Leyland does have some interest in getting back into a dugout. He tried to get the Philadelphia job after last season. But working for Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy again? There's just no way.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It is a sad commentary on the Pirates when the minute a player starts to perform well, the talk immediately shifts to the merits of trading him. That is the economic nightmare that is MLB in the 21st century. Jose Mesa is turning 39 later this month and could be closer to 45 for all we know. Some contending team will covet a veteran closer later this summer and if Mesa is still performing well at that time, the Pirates should trade him when the demand is higher and get some one younger in return.
-- Pittsburgh Tribune Review

While Todd Helton trade rumors will persist, they are baseless unless the first baseman asks out, something he's given no indication he will do. That makes Preston Wilson the Rockies' primary pawn to fill roster needs.
-- Denver Post

If the Phillies fall out of the race in July -- and it's way too early and this team has way too much potential to see that coming -- reliever Billy Wagner could be a prize on the trade market.
-- Philadelphia Inquirer

Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar and manager Lou Piniella will meet today to discuss what can be done to improve the club. No doubt, how to improve the offense -- more specifically, the power supply -- will be on the menu. The Devil Rays player most other teams appear most interested in is closer Danys Baez. The Giants, Cubs and Rangers are all reportedly seeking closers, and St. Louis' Jason Isringhausen is currently on the disabled list.
-- Tampa Tribune

The Cubs need a shortstop and bullpen help. The Rangers and Giants need relievers. Indians GM Mark Shapiro, with depth at both positions, has done his share of talking over the last couple of weeks, but says he has not considered making a trade. Shapiro said that he had no intentions of making big changes to the Indians' 25-man roster. "These are the guys we're going to ride," he said. "Either we made a major miscalculation on these guys or they're going to start playing better."
-- Cleveland Plain Dealer

Shapiro believes that Eric Wedge has done all that he can as manager. "The accountability lies with one person, me," Shapiro said.
-- Akron Beacon Journal

The Phillies might trade Placido Polanco, who's upset about sharing second base with Chase Utley, and the Cubs might be a target after losing middle infielders Nomar Garciaparra and Todd Walker to injuries.

The Red Sox went out in search of help at first base and arrived at John Olerud, who they signed to a minor league contract. He spent the winter recovering from November surgery to repair ligaments in the foot. "If he's healthy and able to contribute to the big leagues, he makes our team better," said GM Theo Epstein. "We think he can play an important role on this club and it remains to be seen how much he'll play."
-- Boston Herald

The Red Sox will now attempt to trade away Dave McCarty, who served primarily as a defensive replacement at first base.
-- Boston Herald

Tanyon Sturze is slated to make a rehab appearance today for Class A Tampa and how he fares could have an impact on several Yankee relievers. The Yankees anticipate that Sturtze (strained muscle in his side) will come off the disabled list this week. The team will have to decide which reliever it wants to lose. The Yanks would have to either put a pitcher on the disabled list, give one his release or make a trade. Steve Karsay, Buddy Groom, Felix Rodriguez, Mike Stanton or Paul Quantrill could go.
-- New York Daily News

For the first time since going on the disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis, Devil Rays RHP Jesus Colome threw at full strength Sunday during a bullpen session.
-- Tampa Tribune

Darren Dreifort, on the disabled list after four offseason surgeries on his hip, knees and shoulder, hasn't been around the Dodgers this season. The team hasn't expected Dreifort to pitch this season, reifort is making $13 million in this, the final year of his five-year, $55-million contract. "You wonder if Dreif is ever going to pitch again," manager Jim Tracy said. "Do you realize how many times this guy's been operated on? ... I mean, how much can one take?"
-- Los Angeles Daily News

That's it for me. Let's hear how baseball went for you this week. Anybody go out to the ballpark so far this season?

One sidenote, I saw Ichrio rob Garrett Anderson of a home run by climbing up the wall and reaching over the fence for the ball. Haven't seen that since Mike Cameron played here. I love plays like that!

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I'm going to the Copa tomorrow night! I'm still amazed that I got the tickets!

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>

Link Copied to Clipboard