Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#513670 2005-05-22 11:44 AM
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Multiple votes. We'll make it top seven votes make the team.

Pick your dream JLA
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 2005-05-22 8:44 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I done said it before and I'll done said it again:

Wonder Woman (leader)
Flash
Green Lantern
The Atom
Zatanna
Green Arrow
Black Canary

I'm betting on the following results:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Flash
Martian Manhunter
The Atom (or Green Arrow)

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I tend to like very recognisable characters for the JLA as a concept. So I picked:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Cap Marvel
Supergirl
GL
Flash
Steel (he had a movie)

and then I threw in Maxima and Zatanna just for the hell of it.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The 14 gay alts seem to favor Katana, Oracle, Shining Knight and Guardian...

I voted for JLI members, just to fuck you up.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
always loved morrison's icons:

superman
batman
wonder woman
flash
GL
martian manhunter
aquaman

giant picture
Rob #513675 2005-05-22 4:34 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I went with the team that was more or less the team I grew up with, plus Plastic Man:

Superman
    Batman (reservist)
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern (Hal)
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Hawkman
    Plastic Man
    Aquaman

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I won't even try to argue again Superman and Batman (*le sigh*) but I do have to ask: Other than the fact that they were included in Morrison's Big 7, what reasons do people have to include Aquaman and Plastic Man?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
The 14 gay alts seem to favor Katana, Oracle, Shining Knight and Guardian...

I voted for JLI members, just to fuck you up.

Shining who?

25+ posts
25+ posts
I wrote in Allah's name. *screaming maniacly*

Would you like to see my nuclear warhead?
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
My dream JLA is misterJLA

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #513680 2005-05-22 6:29 PM
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Bats (leader/tactics ala first few JLI issues)
Cap. Marvel (power)
Flash (John Fox) (speed/communications. keeps everyone one the same page)
Canary (experience/martial arts/Bats lieutenant)
GL (Guy) (most powerful weapon in the universe)
Hawkman (warrior, the asskicker, helps keep Guy in control)
Firestorm (transmutational powers)
Atom (brains)
Plastic Man (deductive abilities/FBI liasion/levity/knowledge of criminal tactics)
Power Girl (power, completes a one/two punch combo with CM)
Capt. Atom (military liasion/tactics/quantum powers)
Animal Man (just because)
Oracle (info/communications)
Steel (John Henry Irons) (brains and brawn ala Morrie's JLA)
Raven (mystical/just because)
Guardian (Jake) (because I like him)
Other (rotating spot)

I didn't see Dr. Fate listed, but he's one I would add for mystic abilities.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I went with

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Flash
Green Lantern
Zatanna
Black Canary

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I won't even try to argue again Superman and Batman (*le sigh*) but I do have to ask: Other than the fact that they were included in Morrison's Big 7, what reasons do people have to include Aquaman and Plastic Man?

Because, to me, the JLA is a book that should appear to the inner eight year old in all of us and when I was eight years old both Aquaman and Plastic Man were "big guns." Aquaman was a charter member of the JLA and Plastic Man was being reprinted in nearly every issue of those 100 page Detective Comics books.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
  • Superman - (Power/Leadership)
  • Nightwing - (Hand-to-Hand/Field Leader)
  • Hippolytia - (Warrior)
  • Flash (Wally) - (Scout)
  • Green Lantern (Guy Gardner) - (Living weapon)
  • J'onn J'onnz - ('team backbone'/telepathic link)
  • Captain Marvel - (Power/Mystical Ambassador)
  • Adam Strange (Strategist/Alien Ambassador)
  • Steel - (Tech)
  • Doctor Fate - (Mystical Defense)
  • Oracle (Information liason)

25+ posts
25+ posts
I chose:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Flash
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Hawkman

I think the Big Seven should all have longevity while also being powerhouses who all bring something different to the team. So the Big Three obviously make it. Flash and GL make it because there have been more incarnations of those characters than any other. J'onn makes it since he's been with every incarnation of the League. Hawkman makes it over Aquaman because Hawkman is straight up more useful in a fight. Though I've always been an advocate of letting Arthur carry Poseidon's trident around. THAT would make him useful in a fight. But even with that, Hawkman can get himself from place to place quickly, and he's also been around as long as Aquaman. Captain Marvel doesn't make it simply because we don't need three people with Superman's powers, and Clark and J'onn win out over Billy for me.

Bring on the ladies!
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I don't get why a GL would choose to be in the League. Their primary responsibility is their space sector and they already belong to a large scale group with the GL Corps. In fact, there's times the Leagues agenda may conflict with that of the GL Corps.

Same with Batman. He's more concerned with the going ons within Gotham City, IMO, than with the rest of the world. Unless his reasons of being with the JLA is to keep an eye on them.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As far as GL is concerned, I have to agree that until the return of the Corps, the existing Lanterns would be stretched thin, so I don't see any of them joining the League. However, after the reformation of the Corps, there will be five GLs in this sector plus Jade. I think one could be spared to side with the heroes of Earth in planetary defense, especially considering that the Earth of the DCU seems to be the focus of attention for wannabe intergalactic conquerors, space alien monster thingies, and the like.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Would the JLA really trust Jordan at this point with it revealed he was part of the "power pact?" For all we know he helped Zatanna mindwipe others with his power ring. I don't think Batman would allow him in, and with Superman as his yes boy and Wonder Woman all hot for him the Big 3 of the League have their own alliance going on and vote out Jordan. I think they prefer Kyle Rayner as GL because they can order him around and he just blindly goes along with whatever they tell him to do.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
BTW,

Wonder Woman (leader): There is no one in the DCU, save Hippolyta, who has more experience both on the battle field and in the egg shell white halls of diplomacy. She is what the league needs most, and, in my opinion, was born to lead the team.

Flash: The Flash is one of the DCU few heavy hitters that isn't mega strong. He can pretty much be everywhere at once, and completes the League's circle of powers.

Green Lantern: The League's key member in anything to do with the gabillion other stars and planets in the DCU. GL is also one of the few heavy hitters who doesn't have muscles where muscles don't belong. Lantern and Arrow would play opposites in both power and personality without being at each other's throats, and his combination of level headedness and ties to every other member on the team would make him its balancing weight.

The Atom: The greatest scientific mind in the DCU. Things go sci-fi, he's your man.

Like Aquaman he has powers but isn't a walking JLA of his own. Unlike Aquaman his powers make him as useful on the battlefield as he is in the lab.

Zatanna: The mystic. The DCU has a magic side (see Day of Vengeance) that is incredibly underused. Adding her to the JL is the key to fixing that. As a celebrity, she has one of the most interesting lives outside of the superhero world in the DCU. She also has ties to Atlantis (she's half Homo Magi) and an interesting backstory that has yet to be fully explored (she and her father share a curse).

She is possibly the most naturally gifted magician in the DCU and definitely one of its most powerful users. In addition to magic, she would also bring sex appeal to a team that is a near sausage fest without her.

Aaaand fishnets.

Green Arrow: He would bring a human aspect to the team. When things get waaaaay quirky (see the preceeding three members) he would be the one who would step back and demand an explanation. I could definitely see many stories being told through his point of view (see IC and multiple episodes of JLU).

He's on the streets every night, and would ground the team. Like Batman, the fact that he is so well rooted in Earth's everyday affairs would cause him to clash with his fellow members, but unlike Batman he's a team player and wouldn't demand that things ALWAYS be done his way.

Black Canary: One of the first "second-generation" super heroes, she gone out with Green Arrow and Ra's al Ghul. If that doesn't sell ya, she's a co-founder of the Justice League of America and a detective with ties to the Bat family. She's also as close to being a spy as they get without being one.

Aaaand fishnets.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Zatanna: The mystic. The DCU has a magic side (see Day of Vengeance) that is incredibly underused. Adding her to the JL is the key to fixing that. As a celebrity, she has one of the most interesting lives outside of the superhero world in the DCU. She also has ties to Atlantis (she's half Homo Magi) and an interesting backstory that has yet to be fully explored (she and her father share a curse).

She is possibly the most naturally gifted magician in the DCU and definitely one of its most powerful users. In addition to magic, she would also bring sex appeal to a team that is a near sausage fest without her.

Aaaand fishnets.

Apparently she's in a few Vertigo titles and likes to have a lot of sex in there, dont know if she's meant to be like that or its just some wannabe writer, but a whore on the team could be very interesting when not battling giant mythical beasts.

Batman/Nightwing-- Batman because he's Batman, but Nightwing more of the time, partly because Batmans obsessed with Gotham, and partly because he worked so well in The Obsidian Age and needs his respect back after the writing in his solo title. Would also be interesting to read his growing relationships with the already established leaguers, like being the new guy at school but still striving towards a moderate leadership role [and getting critised for his automatic leadership by the likes of GA]

Flash-- He's Flash. Would like to see him threaten a big gun like Superman after being yelled at, Wally showing he's got some attitude and wont roll over to the big shots would be great. Keep the softie attitude most of the time, but as Wednesday said, super-strength isnt everything, and Wally could take anyone in the League

Green Arrow-- Only sometimes. He's got the attitude thats interesting to read, and also the confrontations with literally everyone.

Kyle Rayner-- You dont get the relationship with GA etc... with Kyle as appossed to Hal, but he's an untrustworthy bastard. Batman getting revege and slapping him around for the punch he took in Rebirth #6 would also be very welcomed. Kyle should actually grow a JLA spine and take command now and again aswell. Give him an awkward relationship with someone like Hawkman aswell, just to have some interesting tension

J'onn J'onzz-- back-bone. Big gun. J'onn's got everything and cant be left out

Aquaman-- I want the Aquaman with the beard and 'tude back, but still with the water hand so he can actually participate in fights. He's got to have the arrogance and tied loyalties to his home under the sea though [Atlantis or Sub-Diego, dont care which]

Hawkman-- Like the wings, like the attitude, like the big honkin' mace, and would like to see him both interact friendly with the team and also be a real grumpy git, depending on who he's talking to

Superman--Obligitary big gun. Though I show disdain for his unlimited powers i'd still prefer him over Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman, he's also got the relationships with Batman and J'onn already down perfectly. Plus he could build a relationship with Nightwing and get slapped around by nameless giant beasts a lot

Edit: Im scraping Supes for Captain Atom/Breach, or whoever he is now. He'd had a rough ride what with dying again in Superman/Batman, getting defeated by Hawkeye in JLA/Avengers and being pummelled by Mary Marvel, but a slot on the League could remedy that and restore him to his Big Gun status in the DCU

Atom-- He's already got the established relationships. His return could also wipe the stain he suffered from the awful Identity Crisis ending

Edit: Azrael-- Az on the team could go someways to building a friendship with Nightwing, something I dont think ever happened. Plus he could revert back to his old killing ways and bring up some good boy-scout conflict where everyone says "Killing Super-villains is wrong!"

No Wonder Woman because she just annoys me. Dont know if she's meant to be portrayed as such, but when she lets thieves go just because they are female and refuses to admit she's wrong [like the Joe kelly story with the broken lasso] it just pisses me off. Better without her. Not fond of Canary or Zatanna either.

Last edited by Flameswordsman; 2005-05-24 9:48 AM.

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
500+ posts
500+ posts
Need some odd moments of comedy aswell. Can only think of Plastic Man, so he gets the extra position

"Now TV's all about format these days isn't it, and I've got a new type for you right here. Its me and Paris Hilton driving around in a car.... Now I know what you're thinking, but she's in the boot!" "So you see, 'Ring around the Rosey' refers to the horrible symptoms of a terrifying disease, a disease which.....a disease which....ZIM! Theres a Pigeon on you're head. You have 'Head Pigeons'. get to the Nurse before they spread to the other children." "Get off my lawn Cookie Beast!" --Invader Zim
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you are flaming!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I picked :

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Green Lantern

Flash

Captain Atom

Martian Manhunter

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
There is something seriously wrong here. From the looks of it, our team is:

Superman
Batman
Wonderwoman
Flash
Martian Manhunter
Green Lanturn
Oracle

I expect more from the RKMBs. I expect Canary and Zatanna. But for some reason they only have 11 and 7 votes respectively. What the fuck?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Well, they are 2nd-tier characters.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I personally don't want more than 2 characters on the team who have their own book, especially not memberswho have 4 of their own books.
Its pointless then, there's no tension or drama when the characters are basically on loan to the JLA.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
that was gay.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
You know what else is gay?

Being attracted to someone who is the same gender as you.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I would have picked a team of 9 Heroes for the JLA dream team, but the option was only for 7..and most of the ones I would have picked were not on the list.

Or my list would have read :

Captain Atom

Superman

Amazing Man ( from All Star Squadron )

Fury ( from Infinity Inc. )

Jade ( From Justice Society. )

Flash

Atom Smasher ( From Infinity Inc - Justice Society. )

Dr Light

A guy or a girl. maybe a NEW character with weather type powers.

life." - Tuvok.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Superman
Wonderwoman
Flash
Martian Manhunter
Hawkman
Captain Atom
Steel

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dr. Light?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Michael Corleone
Vito Corleone
Sonny Corleone
Tony Soprano
Tony Blundetto
Paulie Walnuts
Christopher Montalsanti
Johnny Sac

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
In all honesty, the best JLA idea would be what they're doing with JLU. Use the big guns with recognition as a way to introduce new and old readers alike to second and third tier characters that aren't being used much. Have Supes and/or Flash lead a team of Booster Gold, Firestorm, and Donna Troy (since they're bringing her back) on one mission while Wonder Woman and Hawkman lead another team of underused characters on another mission. Show that the JLA is a big organization that is handleing a shitload of problems at once and a roster that indicates they're capable of doing it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
PJP #513703 2005-05-24 2:57 PM
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Wednesday, there was a female version of Dr. Light. She was oriental. I haven't seen her since Crisis as I haven't kept up with Justice League since that AWFUL line up they had in the early 80's, followed by a FUNNY JLA book after that..some of those issues were pretty good, though... IMO....

life." - Tuvok.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
She was a part of a Doom Patrol line-up in the pre-Byrne book along with Metamorpho and Elongated Man... someone else too, I think. I didn't read the title, though - just saw her on the cover - so I don't know what happened to her.

She was also a member of the first Giffen-DeMatteis Justice League, if I'm not mistaken.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thanks Chewy!

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Ohhhhhh.

PJP #513707 2005-05-24 3:10 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Michael Corleone
Vito Corleone
Sonny Corleone
Tony Soprano
Tony Blundetto
Paulie Walnuts
Christopher Montalsanti
Johnny Sac

I ain't stupid enough to argue that one.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Beardguy, the rules didn't say you could only vote for seven people, it just said the top seven vote getting characters would be the final team.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thanks Grimm! Guess I wasn't on the ball there!

life." - Tuvok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard