Next Thread
Print Thread
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
Against their will: North Carolina's Sterilisation Program

- The Winston-Salem Journal and Journalnow.com

Quote:

They were wives and daughters. Sisters. Unwed mothers. Children. Even a 10-year-old boy. Some were blind or mentally retarded. Toward the end they were mostly black and poor. North Carolina sterilized them all, more than 7,600 people.

For reasons I cannot fathom this story drew some pretty flippant remarks when Ultimate Jaburg posted it about a week ago. I can't help thinking that if a greater number of women posted here, then the topic would have been discussed more seriously. The final indignity came when it was moved to another forum.

As Eugenics programs were at one time widespread across the United States and also Canada and parts of Europe, it is a subject which bears discussion.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
North Carolina + sterilization = Good thing. That's why the topic got 'flippant remarks'.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts
So you're saying that you think it was justifiable to sterilise people based on racial profiling or, in the case of unwed mothers, on moral grounds?

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
No. I was just kidding with you, adding more 'flippant' remarks. The same thing happend here in the backtowns of Quebec not o long ago. It's sick and disturbing, no matter how you look at it. Although, it doesn't come off as all that shocking...which is the part I personally find the most disturbing.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I don't get it, I guess. I mean, I understand, but there's so little information here it's hard to take seriously.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"

Link Copied to Clipboard