Next Thread
Print Thread
#542888 2005-07-12 4:54 AM
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts

Sorry for the delay for this. Computer problems, illness and such. For this column, let's first start off with this story from ESPN.com:

Quote:

Twins receive Boone, cash for player to be named

MINNEAPOLIS -- Bret Boone wanted a chance to jump-start his career, and the Minnesota Twins found a proven veteran for their unproductive infield.

This should be a good fit for the second half of the season.

Boone, a three-time All-Star second baseman, was acquired by the Twins on Monday -- eight days after being dumped by the Seattle Mariners.

"I'm not saying that Bret Boone is going to be a savior, but he might be a guy that can help," Minnesota general manager Terry Ryan said. "There's a lot at stake for him, obviously."

The Mariners had designated the 36-year-old Boone for assignment, which meant they had 10 days to trade him before he became a free agent. They will pay the balance of his $9.25 million salary, minus the prorated portion of the major league minimum salary (approximately half of $316,000) that the Twins will pick up. Minnesota is also on the hook for a player to be named.

"This is a high-reward, low-risk situation," Ryan said. "I don't think there's any downside."

Boone's career in Seattle peaked in 2001, when he finished third in the AL MVP vote and batted .331 with 118 runs, 37 homers and 141 RBI for a club that won 116 games and lost in the league championship series to the New York Yankees. Though he won his fourth Gold Glove last season, Boone began to slump while the Mariners did, too. They went 63-99, their worst record since 1983.

This year, Seattle is 39-48 at the break -- the third-worst mark in the AL -- and 12½ games behind the Los Angeles Angels in the AL West. Boone was batting .231 with seven homers and 34 RBI.

The Mariners' decision to get rid of him stung, bringing him to tears after finding out July 3. But with the Twins, Boone will see significant playing time and get to be part of a pennant race again.

Boone said he told agent Adam Katz that the Twins were his first choice, which is how he said he felt about the Mariners before signing with them in 2000.

"I was a part of a lot of fun things, but it was my time to move on," Boone said.

Though the Twins are nine games behind the Chicago White Sox in the AL Central, they're currently leading the wild card race with a 48-38 record. Having won three straight division titles, Minnesota doesn't want to settle for that, which is why Ryan made a move.

"I think it's apparent that we need something to happen," he said. "We need to get going here. Just watching us score two and three runs a game, it's getting old."

Second base has been a particular problem for the Twins, with Luis Rivas, Nick Punto, Luis Rodriguez and Michael Cuddyer all starting there this season. Now, Punto and Cuddyer likely will fight for time at third, with Boone becoming the everyday second baseman.

"That's why I'm going there," Boone said.

He should expect a warm greeting, at least from the Twins' two All Stars.

"I just hope it's good for him and he'll help us," Minnesota left-hander Johan Santana said at Comerica Park in Detroit, where he was preparing for Tuesday's All-Star game with teammate and closer Joe Nathan.

"Sounds awesome," Nathan said. "He's going to do nothing but help us, and hopefully he'll get back to his old form. Hopefully it'll be like the Shannon Stewart trade."

The Twins were 44-49 at the break in 2003, when they acquired Stewart from the Toronto Blue Jays and surged to the playoffs.

Boone, a 12-year veteran with 252 homers and a .266 average for his career, is with his fifth team. He'll join Minnesota on Thursday at the Metrodome for a four-game series against the Angels.

"Sometimes, guys get jump-started when they move and get a new beginning," Ryan said. "I hope that's the case with Bret."

Now, I don't know if anyone saw his press conference, but Boone's reaction to the news that he was basically let go from the M's was one of the saddest I've ever seen involving a pro athlete. For me, it was refreshing to see considering that most pro athletes will basically prostitute themselves to the highest bidder. He genuinely liked playing in the city, for the team and people of Seattle. Whereas players like Griffey, ARod and Johnson were all quoted saying "I've done my time." The same statement jailed prisoners make when they get out of prison. Even coaches will do the same. (see Nate McMillan)

Now, IMO, the M's should have let Boone play out the year. Or even platoon with Jose Lopez. He still is a solid glove and the batting lineup for the M's does well enough to compensate for his recent struggles I believe. IMO, when a player does as much for the team and city as Bret Boone has done, like John Olerud before him, the classy thing for the organization would be to let him play out his contract. After all, the team won't tolerate hold outs, I don't get how designating Boone for assignment is any different.

I also question if such a quick hook possibly gives the organization the reputation of being impatient with players, thus affecting the recruitment of any future free agents. I question if the Yankees would do the same. If Bernie, Jeter or Posada were struggling, would they be let go after a season of sub-par production?

What does everyone think? Is there a point where a player needs to be released no matter what? Or is there a time when a players history comes into play?

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
No one has anything to say? Not even you Yankee fans?

Well, I'll say something.

Sometimes, you just have to say goodbye. Dmitri Young comes to mind. Even when he's good, he still blows it in key situations. He has that damn "I can swing for the fences all the time" mentality. Right before the break, he started hitting like a real baseball player again, getting singles and doubles, which is what he's supposed to do. But Craig Monroe does his job better, and he has more RBI to prove it. Add to that Young's attitude problem, and the need to lose him is very clear.

And remember Juan Gonzalez? Texas needed to trade him. Badly. Maybe they saw the end coming for him. Maybe they just got lucky Randy Smith was dumb enough to make the deal. But even if they couldn't get all that much for him, the Rangers would have had to get rid of him that season.

And what about Nomar? Garciapara lost is edge and his health in Boston. Boston lost it's "curse." Chicago still sucks. I call that a win for Boston, and everyone believed that trade would be a disaster for them.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Yeah, I can't believe no one has an opinion either. Seems as though everyone here is a Yankee fan. Oh, we do have one Reds fan and one obsessive Ranger fan though.

See, I really felt that the M's, in deference to Boone's history with the organization, should have been allowed to finish the season. I wouldn't have resigned him for next season. But I wouldn't have waived him. My thinking is that the club expects the player to honor his contract, well it goes both ways. Granted, Boone still gets paid but he doesn't get an opportunity to achieve any of his incentives. (though the way he was playing I'm not sure he would have met them) Same with Olerud. He was in the last year of his contract. I didn't see how releasing him made the team any better last year. But if you let them finish out the season, you can at least make an impression on any potential free agents.

Last season the M's made a seriously hard push for Carlos Delgado. They really didn't want any NL players after the Jeff Cirillo and Rich Aurilla acquisitions backfired. But Delgado hesitated. Granted hitting at Safeco Field might not have been appealing, but you have to wonder if the treatment of the previous 1st baseman (Olerud) played a role in his decision.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I've been wondering if the Yankees would do the same to Bernie if the right OF came along.

Link Copied to Clipboard