PJP Offline OP
We already are
15000+ posts
OP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts

'Superman Returns' on the rebound

By Thomas K. Arnold, Special for USA TODAY

SAN DIEGO — Call it the attack of the love-struck superhero.

With as much romance as action in the two smash Spider-Man movies, it's no wonder that director Bryan Singer says next summer's Superman Returns is first and foremost a love story.

"It's a story about what happens when old boyfriends come back into your life after they've been gone a few years and things have changed," Singer says in an exclusive interview at Comic-Con International, the comics and pop-culture convention that ended Sunday. (Related story: Superman thrills Comic-Con)

A three-minute clip of his movie drew a standing ovation from a crowd of several thousand convention-goers.

"Superman has always been about Lois Lane, Superman and Clark Kent and this love triangle between these three people who really are only two people," Singer says.

Superman Returns, which is due in theaters in June, finds Clark Kent (newcomer Brandon Routh) and his Superman alter-ego back in Metropolis after several years of trying, in vain, to return to his home planet.

Back at the Daily Planet, Kent discovers that his former love interest, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has a boyfriend and a child. Lane writes a cynical story about Superman's return and in a tirade bluntly informs him, "The world doesn't need a savior, and neither do I."

Singer won't reveal much more about the movie's plot, but it's a fair bet that in the end, Lane is wrong on both counts.

Superman Returns picks up a few years after 1978's Superman, which starred the late Christopher Reeve. It's as if that film's three critically panned sequels didn't exist.

"It sort of puts the first film in a vague history," Singer says. "It utilizes elements, icons and images from that movie and helps give us a place to begin."

The late Marlon Brando, who played Superman's father, Jor-El, will be seen in the new movie, and computer-generated re-creation will supplement archival footage of the actor.

Singer, who also directed the blockbusters X-Men and X2, says his Superman harks back visually to the 1930s and '40s vision of the superhero.

"It looks kind of like Rebecca or some other 1940s love story," Singer says.

Warner Bros. has been trying to relaunch the Superman franchise for 11 years. Singer was asked to step in last year, and he says he jumped at the chance, even if it meant relinquishing the X-Men franchise.

"I identify with Superman," Singer says. "I am adopted, I am an only child, and I love the idea that he comes from another world, that he's the ultimate immigrant. He has all these extraordinary powers, and he has a righteousness about him."

PJP Offline OP
We already are
15000+ posts
OP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
Why the hell do they feel the need to give Lois a child?????

That is just stupid.

Other than that the movie will be solid at the very least.

And for thedoctor or any other fucking tool that will say "Hey there's already a thread about this."
or another one of his favorites..." Gee, how come nobody made a thread about this before?"
FUCK OFF!

Have a nice day!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Fucking Singer. Everything in that article sounds like complete shit. I hope it bombs.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

It's as if that film's three critically panned sequels didn't exist.

I thought SUPERMAN II got mostly good nods....

Quote:

"I identify with Superman," Singer says. "I am adopted, I am an only child, and I love the idea that he comes from another world, that he's the ultimate immigrant. He has all these extraordinary powers, and he has a righteousness about him."

Does this mean Superman is gay, too?

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2005-07-18 2:52 PM.

We all wear a green carnation.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:

Fuck off!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I thought SUPERMAN II got mostly good nods....

It did. And Singer himself has said this begins after Superman II, not the first one. I think this is an error on the reporter's part...

25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Back at the Daily Planet, Kent discovers that his former love interest, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has a boyfriend and a child. Lane writes a cynical story about Superman's return and in a tirade bluntly informs him, "The world doesn't need a savior, and neither do I."

EEEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEEEEEEEEEEE

You have just been smashed in the face with a key lime pie.

The Masked Pie Smurfer strikes again!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Two things:

1)Why would he try to get back to a planet he knows got blowed up real good?

2)Why does he look so skinny & gay?

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Everything I've read about this in blogs and whatnot makes me want to avoid this film.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The only good thing about this movie is Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I'm not saying I wouldnt go to see this film,but I cant understand why Superman would try to get back to a planet that he knows isnt there.
Plus that guy just looks shit as Superman........even Dean Cain looked fucking better than that geek!

My hair mocks Snarf
25+ posts
My hair mocks Snarf
25+ posts
Back in the 70's I was a superman.

It's the truth!
200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Superman Returns, which is due in theaters in June, finds Clark Kent (newcomer Brandon Routh) and his Superman alter-ego back in Metropolis after several years of trying, in vain, to return to his home planet.

Didn't it ...........

blow up?

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
Quote:

PJP said:

Didn't it ...........

blow up?

hence "in vain"

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
yes

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

Link Copied to Clipboard