#565554 2005-09-03 2:54 PM
Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
Please wear your helmet.

My co-worker held a guys hand as he died last night because, after pulling in front of a truck, he was hit and scalped by his wind-shield-thing.

He had three kids and a wife.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Helmets are compulsory here.

That's a sad story.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Helmets do save lives but in a case like that it sounds like he prolly woulda died anyway!

Like Australia,helmets are compulsory here too!

Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
His scalp was torn off and at least 40% of his blood drained out in the seven minutes it took the EMR to get there. Had his scalp been attatched to his head he would have had a better chance at surviving.

Also, he died that morning at the hospital.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
It's so sad...because of pride or ego, people can be so careless. Last weekend I saw so many people on the interstate going 80 mph with no helmets, wearing shorts and flip-flop sandles...everyone thinks it won't happen to them. My aunt was almost killed when the bike her and her husband were riding got clipped by and SUV out on a country road...thankfully she is fine now, but it goes to show you can't take chances anywhere.

SMILE...IT MAKES PEOPLE WONDER WHAT YOU'VE BEEN UP TO!
Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
1. helmets aren't made in ways leaving visibility in periferals. it's hard to see.

2. most motorcycle accidents are the fault of unobservant car drivers

3. regardless of personal protective equiptment, if some ignoramus hits you on a motorcycle, you're FUCKED.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Regarding point #3, not really. IF you're wearing a helmet and you're adiquetly protected, ie leather jacket, jeans, etc, then you have a higher survival rate then those that don't.

Case in point, a guy at my church was on his bike just this past Thursday and was hit by a car. His entire right side is messed up, they amputed his foot about mid shin. He's got massive broken bones, but because he was wearing a helmet he's in better shape than had he not worn one.

On the other hand, I was drivng home from a wedding 10 years ago almost to the day. I happend to take a route that I don't normally take from the church the wedding was at (the reception was about a block away, we all walked there). I was driving along, zoning out as to where I was exactly, but paying attention to the cars. It was close to midnight, so not a lot of cars on the road, save for 3 in particular. There was an IDOT (IL Department of Transportation) truck, a motorcylclist and me, all in a row, center lane of the Edens. The truck pulled into the right lane to gather the contruction barrels, for whatever reason the cyclist slammed right into the back of the truck.

I slammed on my breaks and swearved into the left lane and stopped once I got to the shoulder. I was the start of a chain reaction. Everyone after me stopped in their lanes, while a couple people stopped on the shoulder.

I got out of my car and ran down a mental checklist of what needed to be done. Everyone around me was doing those things as I mentally checked them off.

Fortunatly a semi stopped in the lane we were in, effectivly blocking traffic. He called for an ambulance a good two times since it took way too long for emergency workers to respond at that time of night in the burbs!

The paramedics loaded this guy onto a gurney and started working on him, they asked if he had a helmet on and I said no, realizing for the first time that he never did. You see one of the guys that stopped grabbed a clean towel out of his gym bag and used it to staunch this guy's blood. He held his hand trying keep this guy awake and living while we waited.

During that time I could hear him chocking on his own blood. When he was finally put in the bus, there was a serious pool off blood where his head was.

In standing around waiting for the cops to show up, we were all talking to each other and it turned out, I was the only one that witnessed the entire thing. The truck driver didn't eve know what happened. He said he felt something bump the back of the truck but didn't know what it was.

I gave my statement to the police, gave them my contact info and left. I never heard what happened to the guy.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Some years ago I was riding a Yamaha 650. Helmets weren't mandatory but I always wore one. It just seemed like a good idea. It had started to rain a little and the streets were really slick. I came to an intersection and all of a sudden this guy in a BMW 520I throws a left in front of me. There was no way to stop or maneuver around him, so I laid it down. As I came down on the street my head went back and bounced off the pavement. I remember thinking, 'Man, that the best 100 bucks I ever spent'. I walked away without a scratch.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
PJP Googles little Greek boys.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
PJP Googles little Greek boys.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
Okay, so you aren't necessarilly DEAD fucked, but you're still almost always pretty bad off. My friend's dad used to bike. He got in three accidents and kept riding after recovery (thinking it was his fault somehoiw and he'd be a better motorist). The fourth accident he was thrown from his bike into a tree - if the tree hadn't stopped him he would have landed in the middle of 40 mph running traffic. He got off with only four broken bones and sold his bike.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Of course you're still screwed when you get on a bike. It's just you sitting on a couple of wheels, a motor and a seat, coupled with a handle bar. there's nothing to protect you like a car.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Vroom, vroom..........throttle harder, throttle harder

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'd love to get a bike. But everyone else on the road is driving half a ton of glass and metal at high speed, and I've got a helmet and a leather jacket to repel that.

I grew up next to a guy who had every muscle fo his right arm ripped out in a bike accident in Darwin.

Its always seemed like a no-brainer not to get one.

Pimping my site, again.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
I'd love to get a bike. But everyone else on the road is driving half a ton of glass and metal at high speed, and I've got a helmet and a leather jacket to repel that.

I grew up next to a guy who had every muscle fo his right arm ripped out in a bike accident in Darwin.

Its always seemed like a no-brainer not to get one.

Probably a wise choice. A bike rider does have the advantages of greater manueverability and acceleration. You can avoid collisions better than a car but you need to be on your toes constantly.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I remember hearing a joke once.

What do doctors call motorcyclists?
Organ Donors

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
What do doctors call G-Man?
A cunt!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The motorcycle joke is an actual joke some doctors tell to illustrate how dangerous motorcycles can be.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
So all doctors make light of bad situations,is that what you are saying?
Do they make jokes about cancer victims & victims of gun shot wounds?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And just for the record,I have been riding motorcycles for 16 years now,and do not have a car licence.
Yes I have been in accidents,all of them involved car drivers not looking,and strangely enough,all of them were women drivers.

Wanna know the strange thing.
In all my years of riding,I have never personally known anyone die on a motorbike,but I have known a few people die in cars!

People become too complacent about how safe they are in cars where as motorcyclists know the risks.
Car drivers tend to think they are indestructible surrounded by steel.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Some have referred to cigs as "coffin nails." I guess that is sort of a joke about cancer and cigs.

I don't think the point is to laugh at the victim as much as warn the living through humor, albeit black humor.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Some have referred to cigs as "coffin nails." I guess that is sort of a joke about cancer and cigs.

I don't think the point is to laugh at the victim as much as warn the living through humor, albeit black humor.

Doctors and lawyers use humour to deal with the tragedy that confronts them daily. Shirley, G-man, you've heard a PI lawyer or corporate defense counsel refer to a burn case as 'crispy critters'? Medical people do the same. The people who pick up the pieces need a release from the stress of doing their jobs.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Organ Donors

the other punchline I've heard is

donar cycles.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

cancer sticks is the other one.

As for the bit about not knowing people that have died in motorcylce accidents...

For all I know that guy I talked about earlier, the one that wasn't wearing a helmet, died.

Also, my sister and oldest brother had a friend that died from a motorcylce accident, in a parking lot no less. I don't remember the details, but it was something about riding it to try it out and hitting the speed bump.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Organ Donors

Nowie, to be fair, I've heard this too.

Pimping my site, again.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fucking lawyers,always sticking together!

How many lawyers does it take to change a lighbulb?

One to change the bulb & one to sue the ladder company if he falls!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Doctors and lawyers use humour to deal with the tragedy that confronts them daily. Shirley, G-man, you've heard a PI lawyer or corporate defense counsel refer to a burn case as 'crispy critters'? Medical people do the same. The people who pick up the pieces need a release from the stress of doing their jobs.

That is true. I'm sure cops are the same. I know my oldest brother has plenty of stories to tell, like the time he had to ride around and pick up dead bodies.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Kimi said:
It's so sad...because of pride or ego, people can be so careless. Last weekend I saw so many people on the interstate going 80 mph with no helmets, wearing shorts and flip-flop sandles...everyone thinks it won't happen to them. My aunt was almost killed when the bike her and her husband were riding got clipped by and SUV out on a country road...thankfully she is fine now, but it goes to show you can't take chances anywhere.

hi difficult kind

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
LOL

:P

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Link Copied to Clipboard