Here's a great column from the sporting blog of Stan McNeal on The Sporting News website:

Quote:

Read a nice story in USA Today this a.m. about Cal Ripken and his busy life these days. It's been almost four years since Ripken retired from the Orioles but he's more involved in baseball than ever. Today's story comes on the 10th anniversary of one of the most memorable games I've ever been to (thank you, Buster and Lisa) --- the one in which Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games played.

Besides bringing back memories of the goose bumps I had watching Ripken make his victory lap, the story got me thinking about the summer of 2007. Since it became clear that Ripken, Tony Gwynn and Mark McGwire all were retiring after the 2001 season, I've figured that Induction Weekend 2007 would be one of the biggest ever at Cooperstown. Now I'm thinking it coud be big for the wrong reasons.

Let's take a look at the three since they retired.

Ripken has become perhaps baseball's No. 1 ambassador. His Ripken Baseball is involved in just about every level of the game this side of the majors (and it's only a matter of time before he's back in the bigs).

Tony Gwynn recently signed on to coach the baseball team at his alma mater, San Diego State, for three more seasons. Gwynn announced long before he retired from the Padres that he wanted to be the Aztecs' head coach and, sure enough, he took over as soon as he could. While the Aztecs haven't been wildly successful on the field, it hasn't been for a lack of effort on Gwynn's part. He's involved in everything from keeping the grounds in top shape to arguing with umpires to arguing with the NCAA. Many figured Gwynn quickly would tire of the fairly anonymous grind of coaching college baseball, but he clearly hasn't.

Then there's McGwire. Seems like the only times we hear about him are in connection with his embarrassing performance at the steroids hearings or when he turns down another invitation to appear at a Cardinals game. A proud man, he seems to have been shamed into hiding.

If McGwire still is voted in on the first ballot --- no longer a sure thing --- Induction Weekend '07 would mark the first time a player so closely connected to the steroids controversy would take center stage at Cooperstown. And it would put him on the same stage with two true Hall of Famers. What a shame.

Unless McGwire steps up and does some serious explaining, keeping him off the Cooperstown stage in '07 is plenty enough reason for me to hope he's not voted in with Ripken and Gwynn.

IMO, until McGwire makes some sort of plausible explanation, he ain't going to the Hall. At this point Shoeless Joe will go before him. Especially if more athletes of the caliber of Giambi, Bonds and Palmeiro admit to using 'roids. The real question might be who will get there first: Rose or McGwire?

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.