Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
He's talking about when they became a corporate commodity, by spawning such gems as Team Titans, and Deathwing.

........where's the vomit emoticon when I need it?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Yes. I would also like to point out the professional wrestler Mike Awesome had the greatest success of his career while sporting a mullet. Mullets = money.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Jeremy said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Yup. Just like they retconned Nightwing's bitchin' mullet.

DC should have learned something about giving their heroes mullets.

Business in the front, party in the back....

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts

Rack you!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
One day the goatee will be the equivalent of the mullet, and everyone will be talking about Tony Stark's goatee period.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
It will, interestingly, be much more controversial than his raging alcoholic period.

The same will be true of Carol Danvers.

(This post has a weird sorta 'in the year two thousaaaaaaaand!' feel to it...)

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
But keep in mind that Batman often gives criminals a chance to surrender,

And conservatives wouldn't do that because???

Furthermore, this isn't universally true. Batman's immediacy in taking down criminals all depends on the variables of the scenario.

Quote:

he's pro-gun control,

.....No he's not. There's a difference between hating guns and condemning them. And as far as you know, he hates them. Plus, you do realize that Alfred owns and uses guns in the manor yes?

Quote:

never kills,

Because he was traumatized.

Quote:

hire ex-cons looking for a legitimate second chance.

Uh....Yeah, what issue was this in? In any event, while I'm sure he does give those cons jobs, I don't see how that defines him as a liberal.

Quote:

I love this argument because you're basically saying that violating civil rights is a conservative stance (which is harsher than I've ever said).

Actually no, it just means that Batman isn't going to deal with unions, civil rights movements, or the ACLU before he chases down perps.

Quote:

Batman believes in protecting the innocent, but he never crosses the line of becoming a killer. He steps outside of the governmental rules (in other words counter-culture) and strives to heal Gotham as much as protect it.

Batman doesn't "step outside government". He sees himself as the government (and considering his tolerance of other vigilantes, this would lead one to the conclusion that he believes in the empowerment of citizens rather than a dependency on government--A very anti-liberal stance). And, as any government knows, you have to protect the inhabitants to make sure the government continues to run and preserve its country (in this case: Gotham). And, again, you're mistating reasons for Batman's obstruction of death.

Quote:

he doesn't throw money into his gadgets?

Of course he does, but he makes sure to use them with his own clear and present intent. This is opposed to simply making donations and giving cheap speeches.

Quote:

he doesn't throw his money into building housing and new jobs in an area where he'd lose profit before he made profit?

Yes, but he doesn't monopolize the use of his money that way. He doesn't leave things to chance by giving money to the community and waiting for something to happen. He knows it's not that simple.

Quote:

that makes no sense and is ridiculous. like most of your posts.

I guess that means you missed Bustamante's "tough love" tax proposal. Which is odd sense we, supposedly, live in the same state.

Quote:

Batman uses Wayne Enterprises as a massive social program to give a hand up to the less fortunate. he believes that giving poorer people a chance at a better life will work long term to lower crime.

Yes. But, once again, he's not going to leave it at that because he knows money isn't going to solve all of the problems. I could even go so far as to say that with his action as Batman, you'd have confirmation of positive reinforcement with him fighting crime, whereas a mere donation could be totally unsuccessful due to tragic circumstance.

Quote:

revolving door prison? you're such an idiot. Batman works towards rehabilitation over simple imprisonment. obviously psychopathic killers like the joker are too insane to be released but he will give a second chance to those who are genuinely looking to turn over a new leaf after they served their time.

Wow! That was an impressive tangent switch. Suddenly we go from holes and technicalities in the justice system causing revolving door prisons to societal recompense. In either case, however, you seem to miss the point. Batman wants to genuinely reform people, yes. That doesn't mean he'll ever stop being suspicious of them or being on their ass about said suspicion though. In which case, many of the criminals and crazies he deals are incurable according to him. Which scenario do you think he would be more comfortable with? The Hatter claiming that he's cured and being released? Or the Hatter staying imprisoned?

Quote:

no. that argument is why DC won't kill off his villains. Batman doesn't kill because he doesn't believe that he has a right to pass final judgement.

Or: He's functionally insane and has a stigma to death--Which would make a lot more sense considering the fact that he scales Gotham's sky-scrapers in a Bat-suit.

He's already decided that he has enough right to track down criminals and beat the shit out of them and then proclaim Gotham itself as a vigilatian (which borderlines on machivellian) society. Why, all of a sudden, draw the line somewhere when he finds that he has more rights than everyone else?

Quote:

more issues then i can count where he hired a recent parolee who he had incarcerated.

So he tracks down and locks criminals away with the intent to hire them on his work-force?

And which issue numbers might those be?

Quote:

you have no idea what the point of Batman is. Its not about going out and punching bad guys, for him its about protecting the innocent and trying to heal his city.

Uh, I was the one who said as much. I already argued that Batman protects the innocent so as to help the city. The only difference being that you seem to think Batman does what he does because it's the 'right thing to do' whereas I think "protecting the innocent" is a means to the end of "healing the city".

Quote:

you try too hard to sound smart.

Meaning I'm precisely right and you don't want to admit it.

Quote:

and please stop using objectivism. you keep using it, and you keep using it incorrectly.

And how am I doing that exactly?

Quote:

its a metaphor for the villain of the week. Superman 90% of the time is written to fight the bad guy but never really encounter the social problems of Metropolis.

Wait a tic. Simply because it doesn't show him talking about racism or bigotry, that automatically means he's conservative? If so: You're rediculously stupid.

And should I take the "big monster" observation to mean that every character who's more prone to fighting bystandard-threatening antogonists, rather than talking about controversial issues, is conservative? If so: You're rediculously stupid.

Quote:

your point? (about Supes being independent)

A simple observation on my part.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
gayer teletubby.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
We've covered this "is Batman liberal or conservative" ground before.

With the possible exception of the "gun control" question, nearly every position Ray cites to show Batman is liberal is actually an example of a millionaire businessman using his private fortune, as opposed to government money, to help people.

That sounds exactly like George Bush's "Thousand Points of Light" program more than anything else.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
This was a good thread 'til Pariah started talking...

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
oh, it's true! it's damn true!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
We've covered this "is Batman liberal or conservative" ground before.

With the possible exception of the "gun control" question, nearly every position Ray cites to show Batman is liberal is actually an example of a millionaire businessman using his private fortune, as opposed to government money, to help people.

That sounds exactly like George Bush's "Thousand Points of Light" program more than anything else.

I think you can see him either as social conservative or a progressive liberal (like John Dewey), depending on what you prefer.

Adam West's Batman was certainly a leftist liberal though.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, I'm sure everyone here uses Adam West as a mediator.

Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
This was a good thread 'til Pariah started talking...

r3x was the one who took the bait.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
That's not important. You started it... and, thus, ended the goodness of the thread.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
it's true! it's damn true! the gay(er) teletubby ruined the thread!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:

Nah. He was a country club/liberal republican. All the political figures on that show that Bruce Wayne hung around with (Gov. Stonefeller, Mayor Lindseed, etc.) were based on famous liberal Republicans of the 60s.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Adam West's batman was a greek restaurant owner!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
waoh!

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I heart Power Girl and "friends"!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
Adam West's batman was a greek restaurant owner!

Thank god for Adam West

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:

Nah. He was a country club/liberal republican. All the political figures on that show that Bruce Wayne hung around with (Gov. Stonefeller, Mayor Lindseed, etc.) were based on famous liberal Republicans of the 60s.

Didn't know that.

Anyway, I bet TV-Bats would make Becaria and Jeremy Bentham proud.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

Glacier16 said:
Alexander Luthor?

Drzsmith?

Isn't he a myth? Kinda like the Nature Boys?

I'm a mythter!

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
rimshot!

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Drzsmith said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

Glacier16 said:
Alexander Luthor?

Drzsmith?

I'm a mythter!

Nature...Boys?

astounding!
1000+ posts
astounding!
1000+ posts
They live in the jungle!

_
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
THERE ARE NO NATURE BOYS!!!

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Oh, and yesterday lying in the gutters rich said that Flash was indeed NOT going to die...thank God....or Dan Didio or whoever...

get your story straight fucker....

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Once.

Twice.

Three times a lady.

cause it's easy....easy like sunday morninggggggggggg

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Drzsmith said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Quote:

Glacier16 said:
Alexander Luthor?

Drzsmith?

I'm a mythter!

Holy shit, you're real!

Does this mean the nature boys aren't just an urban legend?

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
GA = Golden Age

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
GA = Golden Age

I know!!!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
What does GA mean......Green Arrow?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Fuck you.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
did you watch sopranos?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
No - not a Soprano fan - my dad loves it though - maybe I'll give it another shot - everyone raves about that show - I've only seen season 1, but a friend of mine says that it really kicks into gear with season 2. Maybe I'll catch up with season 2 and see if it's worth continuing to watch. But guess what I will be watching? Prison Break! Wo0t! And then 24 - after last week's ending, I'm stoked for that show.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
you told me that a few days ago. I'm drunk and forgot.....sorry.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Wait - you're drunk now, are you were then?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
sounds like you are too.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard