Next Thread
Print Thread
#599661 2005-11-27 6:12 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Jacques Attali is a writer; president of PlaNet Finance, an international nonprofit organization; and a contributing editor to Foreign Policy. He argues that:

Monogamy, which is really no more than a useful social convention, will not survive. It has rarely been honored in practice; soon, it will vanish even as an ideal.

The continued rise of individual freedom will permanently change sexual mores, as it has most other realms. Likewise, jumps in life expectancy will make it nearly impossible to spend one's entire life with one person and to love only that one person. Meanwhile, technological advances will further weaken the links between sexuality, love and reproduction, which are very different concepts. Widely available birth control has already stripped away an important obstacle to having multiple partners.

Just as most societies now accept successive love relationships, soon we will acknowledge the legality and acceptability of simultaneous love. The demise of monogamy will not come without a struggle. All the churches will seek to forbid it, especially for women. For a while, they will hold the line. But individual freedom, once again, will triumph. The revolution will begin in Europe, America will follow, and the rest of the world will eventually come around.

The implications will be enormous. Relationships with children will be radically different, financial arrangements will be disrupted, and how and where we live will change. To be sure, it will take decades for the change to be complete, and yet, if we look around, it is already here. Beneath our hypocrisies — in movies, novels and music — the shape of our future is visible.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I disagree. Some people will want monogamy, other won't. Its always been that way, just now people don't feel as forced into it.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But will it be as institutionalized as it is currently? Even people who don't practice it currently pay lip service to it.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Being monogamous is not hard, so I don't see why so many people have a hard time with it. My grandparents have been monogamous for 60 some odd years, my parents have been monogamous for 31 years and I'm engaged and can't imagine living life with someone other than my fiance at all, whether he's alive of dead. I think that if you feel that you're in love with two people, it is in fact lust bcz being in love with someone is wanting to see them happy and I don't believe someone could be truly happy sharing their husband/wife with someone else; I know I couldn't be. Intimacy is something that can only go between 2 people and not more without getting twisted.

From ME.... DUH!
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
Also, last time I heard (on Judge Judy, to be exact), about 50% of the marriages in the United States end up in divorce, so I don't see monogamy dying out completely anytime soon. But then again, there are those that get/stay married for reasons other than loving each other and wanting to spend the rest of their lives together.

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't see it going out of style anytime soon. At the very least I think it's instinctive to a degree. And as long as kids need years of parental guidence could anything but monogamy work?

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Until this thread I always thought Monogamy was a type of wood.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Even as we speak, your wife has a strange feeling she should be hitting you over the head with a rolling pin, but doesn't know why.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Until this thread I always thought Monogamy was a type of wood.

Also a decent movie!

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
And as long as kids need years of parental guidence could anything but monogamy work?

Bingo.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
And I only needed I-18! Cursed fate!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I would agree that many people will not practice the 1 man 1 woman for life form of monogamy. But I think serial monogamy is the likely replacement. Amongst white middle class couples in the SF Bay Area, this is what I see.

Late teens and early 20s, the traditional family forming years, people are pretty promiscuous. They form and break relationships in rapid succession. The party is on!

Mid 20s to early 30s longer term relationships form leading to marriage and children. Couples are pretty stable in the child bearing and rearing years. People stay together for the children and because breaking up the family is likely to cause severe financial hardship for everyone.

As the kids reach high school, couples start to get restless and may drift apart. When they reach their later 40s and early 50s, divorces happen. The individuals go back to dating, perhaps even promiscuity. Get the face lifts and boob jobs they've been wanting. Many then find another mate for their Sunset years.

Rather than a wanton fuck-fest I think increased life span yields a second courtship cycle and serial monogomay.

Link Copied to Clipboard