Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
X-Stream's gone for now -- he was by definition a character I kept inventing too many new powers for, so I took the final logical step that you see in the epilogue.

I'll be back in the next story though with another character -- and X-Stream will show up again in some form down the line...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Also, I'm all for keeping the MBL and Vanguard seperate, although I'd prefer to keep consistency in the world, even if stuff never crosses over or comes close to doing so.

That said, a few references here and there can't always be stop -- people like me and Euro are continuity machines!

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
I have one big gripe about having the current Vanguard and the MBL on the same continuity, while at the same time I see a big plus in that.

My gripe is that the MBL, how we started it, was about a group of heroes in the HR/Vanguard universe; a universe that we last saw one year ago, and now it has subtle differences, explained by the off-screen year. Things have happened, and the result is that metas are not anymore outlawed.

The Vanguard Universe, instead, is outright changed. Things have not changed in the span of one year, they were different from the start.

That's why I have difficult to see how can both groups share the same universe. I know that the policy we have here (same continuity, but don't talk about it) in the end is stupid, and maybe we can adopt the policy of Vanguard (old continuity is gone, let's say whatever we want), without any problem, but somehow I am proud of old continuity, and thinking this universe is a repository of all those stories to which taking elements that anyone can go back and see how they were developed and can be used, makes it an advantage, and not a nuisance.

I see the MBL Universe as the one where Vanguard should be, if they have not been borught away.

On the other hand, if the MBL lives in the "brave new world", it is interesting because if the goal of Vanguard is to change back the Universe, there could be a final battle where MBL defend this continuity while Vanguard wants to change it back to what they knew. But his is the only advantage I see (a big one, I have to admit, but only if the MBL will still be alive at the moment of this clash).

Thought?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Since the Vanguard storyline deals specifically with a fracture in the timeline and includes that the MBL does NOT exist in the timestream created by Mxy, my assumption would be that the New MBL is in the Core Timeline of the HR Universe, albeit a damaged core. In a perfectly continuous universe, I'd say the resolution to the Vanguard dilemma and ours would somehow tie-in to heal any chronal damage.

However, that defeats our purpose.

So, what can we do for this team? I'd say continue along the basis of the HR timeline, purposely leave certain things in the dark about the past year, consider certain characters to be temporarily removed from the timestream, and blame any hiccups on what's happened since we last saw the world (and eventually have a cool reveal of what's been going on once the stage is set). With luck, once the other half is returned to normal continuity, all will be meshable.

All else fails, we do what we've always done - blame cosmic forces!

I think we need to figure out what we want this team to be, then we can get folks to come join it. We can even have returnng characters if folks want it, old Vanguardians or HR MBL guys or the like who are in Pro's thread, and still keep it free of deep continuity.

But that's just my take...

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
It seems more clear.

The two groups are on two separate places, just the "eleven" (who have been plugged out of reality in the Vanguard story) are not around in the MBL Universe, having been placed in a different, altered reality. Right?

What do we want for the MBL

I have two suggestions:

•One is the one implied by the first post of MBL one: Promethean City is a dirty and dark place, that hides many secrets, cospiracies, corrupted politicians and such... a cancer growing on the side of Thunder City, a shiny place that has been an heaven for metas since 2001, in the core of an America that hated metas.
Now that metas are not actively hunted anymore, just Thunder, of any place, what was a flag for metahumans freedom, has become threathened by something only our heroes can fight.

•The other is something we talked for sometime with Pro, and it's to make them a global protectorate, something JLA-Autorithesque, or, to stick to the HR-Vanguard universe, a new Strikeforce.

My preferred choice would be going from the first scenario progessively to the second, having the MBL gaining global status thanks to the good work they did in Promethean city.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I'm now working on an idea for the third story that I want to run by people here. It works towards the first idea (I really like the Thug cult, so I'm giving them the rub).

The team track down a link to the Thug cult in a businessman from Thunder who's investing in some sort of urban regeneration project in Promethean. It turns out he's deliberately building it to collapse, as a sacrifice to boost his power. We thwart him, with government help (from a Forrest replacement of nicer ilk).

I know it's slight, but I'm keeping it open for other people to throw in ideas of their own. What do you guys think?

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
I like it, as sort of follow the half debacle (from the Thug part of the plot) of the current issue. By me, go for it.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
And my new hero I'll be using has ties to the government and military, so I'm all for us having more contacts

I like the idea that dark things are afoot in Promethean City -- you've seen the sort of people who rebuilt it, and you can just imagine how they're profitting off it through a myriad of third parties.

I think our two main goals right now remain:

1. Good stories
2. More than 2-3 people posting

As long as we don't go out and contradict continuity, I'm for not necessarily trotting it out every two posts. Although I'm fine using bits of the Hero Revolution Universe continuity on occassion for effect; whoever uses it will just need to be sure to explain it as they use it so new folks don't NEED to dig through old stories if they don't want to.

'Easter eggs' are a different matter. Forrest was fromt he old stories, but that wasn't his important distinction.

Anyway, guys, looking forward to Issue 3...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
BTW, anybody else have anything to add to Issue 2 in epilogues for your characters? I have one more to do (nothing to do with the Draco, honest!), but I'd rather leave it for last if possible.

Plus, I always loved when folks did personal epilogues for their guys or the teams -- nice way to get in their heads once the battle was over but before the next coflict began.

Anyway, let me know, so I can do what I need to before Issue 2 gets locked up...

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
I will do an epilogue for the issue, just to keep up the tradition.

I have just a gripe about the killing of Forrest: he was from around the very first issues of the HR Universe, and I brought back for his relation with the man we saw talking to him through the glass, which had a connection with the monster the MBL fought in the first issue.

Now I am tempted to bring in the twin brother of Forrest...

And yes, we need to bring in more people...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Remember that in Issue 1 you showed there was an odd duality to Forrest I never tried to explain away.

Quote:

Meanwhile, elsewhere…

In total darkness, two persons face each others across a glass.

“The payment is on its way. All went smoothly…” says the man we saw from the back.

That makes me happy. It has always been a pleasure to make business with you” respond the one from across the glass.

“The beast risen, the fools got out of their holes… And now the beast is in our hands.”

"Handle it with care. You should be proud to own such a marvel, General…

The hand of General Forrest went to the switch, and the light went on. It was in his bathroom, facing a mirror, his own face replacing the mysterious man’s own.

Genral Forrest smiled, opened a slider, took out a razor and began to shave his face.

That day was opening in the best possible way…

I purposely did not include Forrest as part of the Viper conspiracy (although he was made aware of something larger X-Stream was part of tied to the group that had rebuilt Promethean)

Feel free to bring back Forrest under the control of whatever entity that was -- should be interesting to all the folks who think he should be dead...

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'll be back. Just busy a bit right now.

500+ posts
500+ posts
I like the idea of the team as a JLA like force wuith stories that jump from city to city where they right the injustices...

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
- Reflection (2002) UTOPIAN PRODUCTIONS
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
In any case, I would like to have them based in Thunder City, even if they become a global peacekeeping force. Thunder has been always a heaven for metas, even in the dire days of discrimination, and so I think it would be fitting.

Also, it will be a nice homage to the old TOMBL Universe. They could even build an artificial island in the river. Not big as the old Edge island, but an headquarter that stand in the middle of the running water would be nice. But first we need money...

500+ posts
500+ posts
For the new story comng up, I think we should go with a straight forward action packed good time.

MBL LINE-UP
Dr. Marvelo, Captain Midnight, Doug, Hero, Quinn Stevens

Sub-Plot
Chewy's plant girl

Everyone feel free to jump in with new characters.

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

SpandexMonkeyMan said:
I'm now working on an idea for the third story that I want to run by people here. It works towards the first idea (I really like the Thug cult, so I'm giving them the rub).

The team track down a link to the Thug cult in a businessman from Thunder who's investing in some sort of urban regeneration project in Promethean. It turns out he's deliberately building it to collapse, as a sacrifice to boost his power. We thwart him, with government help (from a Forrest replacement of nicer ilk).

It's a good idea, I think you can post it. GO!

500+ posts
500+ posts
Sounds good to me also! Let's get it going...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I HATE THE IDEA!

But let's go with it.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I don't really hate the idea.

I just wanted to sound cool.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Just a heads up, I'm going to bring Quinn's inventor ally back in an early post in the next story. Might as well start to give the team some way to contact each other. Here is a refresher so you don't have to look for the post

Quote:

WAREHOUSE – THE DOCKS, THUNDER CITY

Quinn Stevens, now fully costumed, lands on the ground in the back alleyway of a warehouse that is nested on the docks of Thunder City. He walks to a brick wall and presses one of the bricks in. Stepping back, a red light scans down his body and a doorway in the brick wall opens.

The young hero steps in the warehouse, which on the inside is a technological marvel. Gizmos and computers are all over the place, as are inventions and the like. An older man is working on a backpack shaped device. Kevin “Forge” Anderson.

“Kevin.” Quinn says, but his words are blocked by Forge’s saw hitting metal, “MR. ANDERSON?”

The balding man looks up and sees Quinn.

“Quinn!” he shuts and puts down the saw like device, “Young man, how are you?”

The older gentleman walks towards Quinn, who pulls off his mask.

“Tough day. Second mission and I was almost gutted.”

“Oh, your Dad’s gonna be worried. I should-“

“No, its ok Kevin. I’ll be fine, I got a few others watching my back”

“Yes, yes, yes, these MBL guys.”

“Yeah, that’s them.”

“You didn’t tell them your name, did you? You can’t trust just anyone!”

“No, I haven’t taken of my mask with them.”

“Good, I wouldn’t want your family or ME hunted down. Trust me, this is a dangerous game we play.”

“I know.”

“Now, why are you here? Need a laser gun? Antigravity device? Fast shoes? Bullet deflecting underwear?”

“Heh. No, none of those, but I could use a communications device. Something small and directly linked to others…”

“How many do you need?”

“Six would work”

“How about in a ring, that cool and different right?”

“Ah, yeah, I think that works.”

“I can retro build them bigger than normal so they can automatically fit to any finger size, and I can put MBL on them for you and-”

“Sounds great Forge”

“Anytime kido. Come back tomorrow, I’ll have them ready for you.”

“Thanks! Ok, back off to try and be a hero”

“Don’t get killed, or your parents will kill me!”

“Not planning on it!”

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Fearing SpaMM will disappear again for weeks, I'm about to post a story beginning. Since there is no plot, we can just hang around and wait for SpaMM story idea to be posted later, or just created another one, and leave it for issue 4.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Sorry about that. I got bogged down with stuff. Plus, I'm lousy at starting things.

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
500+ posts
500+ posts
I think a short/fun/action Museum robbery might be a good light hearted start to the story. Not the big plot, but a start

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

SpandexMonkeyMan said:
Sorry about that. I got bogged down with stuff. Plus, I'm lousy at starting things.

Well, I wanted also to put in place the role call intro, to keep up with the old tradition.

Post your start in the story as soon as you are ready...

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
So, me and Gooz have resumed active duty (as much as deadlines allows us) on posting in the MBL thread.

IF THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANTS TO PARTECIPATE THEY ARE WELCOME.

T5 has gone, SPAMM and TTT, are you still with us? I-Man, how's the work on the Russian book?

Danny, Notwedge, anybody from Vanguard/TOMB/MBL/JLR, anyone else who wants to write, would you give it a try?

For whoever would be interested, all the backstory needed to be known is recapped at the beginning of the story itself.

The story is set loosely in a Year One Later version of the Vanguard Universe in which things from the old TOMBL Universe seems to appear/be remembered, but we aim to the future and not the past, so don't bother with continuity. Just follow the previous post in good round robin tradition, and be creative.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Whatever happened to Nowhereman?

Who the fuck gives a shit?

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Whatever happened to Nowhereman?

Who the fuck gives a shit?

Kristogar Velo?

500+ posts
500+ posts
Guys, there are just two rules if you jump in...

1 - No sigs in posts.

2 - Please don't have your character talk to you, the poster, or realize that he is in fact a fictional character. Thats so 1998.

Anything else goes. Have fun. Post. Read. Comment. DO what ever the fuck you want.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
How very German!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

GoozX said:

1 - No sigs in posts.

2 - Please don't have your character talk to you, the poster, or realize that he is in fact a fictional character. Thats so 1998.

Well....there goes my Sig-slinging, fourth-wall-aware character I was about to bring in....

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Once over and twice twist--d'oh!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

GoozX said:

1 - No sigs in posts.

Well....there goes my Sig-slinging, fourth-wall-aware character I was about to bring in....

But at least he had hair!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You've obviously never read any of my characters...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
You've obviously never read any of my characters...

This was a new character that you broke the mold with!
He had hair, didnt smoke & was straight!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Now that's just crazy talk!

500+ posts
500+ posts
Pro, I have missed you! Get your ass on AIM tomorrow!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I've been planning to make my return for a while, but I was on holiday all this last week. Posts coming soon, I promise.

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
It seems I have broken my modem this morning (I am typing from a friend's computer) and here all shops are closed for the summer holidays, so I don't think I will be able to come back until the end of the week past this one.

Shit.

500+ posts
500+ posts

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard