15000+ posts
No problem. I can totally relate.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Terrorists are extremists too. Does the fact that I use the same term to describer them as you (or others) use to describe me make us the same?

I never called you an extremist. I said that people would, and pointed that fact out because you probably wouldn't like it.

You'll note the parentathes. As far as telling me people might call me an extremist, thinking it would bother me or I wouldn't like it, you'll need to brush up on your phych profiling abilities. People can call me whatever they want. I may question thier accuracy, but that's as bad as it gets for me.

Quote:

Okay, people may call you an extremist because you want to add something to the curriculum, thereby altering it.

That would be interesting if they did. (I like the ever commital Wednesday use of "some people") I know there are people who would consider the simple altering of a curriculum extreme, but I think they would have a great deal of trouble gaining popular support for thier position.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Extremist is definitely too harsh of a word. Perhaps we should try passionately religious. Lots of Amish people live in the rural areas surrounding my hometown of Ft. Wayne, IN. Many of their school age children attended the public schools that were offered in their area. The Amish definitely have very strong beliefs. Should the school change it's curiculum for them? Personally, I think not.

The Muslims in question are most likely much more similar to the Amish than to the terrorists, but that still doesn't mean that the art class should be entirely reworked just for them.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
My two cents. I think it's well and good to culturally sensitive to various groups including Muslims. But the USA is a nation of people from somewhere else. Most of us have a different cultural heritage and none is more important than any other. Muslims need to know us just as we need to know them. The art curriculum should be the same as other schools with perhaps a greater empasis on the art of Islam but solid in the art of Europe and Asia as well.

They need to learn to live among us as we need to learn to live with them.

The Alhambra, Spain

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
That wasn't two cents. That was a whole nickel!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
My two cents. I think it's well and good to be culturally sensitive to various groups including Muslims. But the USA is a nation of people from somewhere else. Most of us have a different cultural heritage and none is more important than any other.

I will disagree with this to a point. There is, I think, an American culture that's been developed and should supercede others. Not wipe out, not invalidate, but supercede others. And the ostensible fact that "we're all from somewhere else" does not offset that.

I would never move to another country and insist that my newfound home now cowtow en toto to every iota of the culture and heritage I bring with me.

We all wear a green carnation.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I thought that was what he was saying.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Me too.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Me too.

Me too! American culture didn't spring fully formed from the head of Zeus. It is and was created by synthetic process over time. My post was about that process of amalgamation by which individuals become part of a greater whole.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
No puppets? No papier-mache' masks? Craziness! Next they'll be taking "John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt" out of music class, and do you know what we'll have then? Bedlam! Pure unadultarated bedlam!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Rack!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Because the religion is, you guessed it, Islam:

In our brave new schools, Johnny can't say the pledge, but he can recite the Quran. Yup, the same court that found the phrase "under God" unconstitutional now endorses Islamic catechism in public school. In a recent federal decision that got surprisingly little press, even from conservative talk radio, California's 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled it's OK to put public-school kids through Muslim role-playing exercises.

Parents of seventh-graders who were taught the pro-Islamic lessons as part of California's world history curriculum sued under the First Amendment ban on religious establishment.

They argued, reasonably, that the government was promoting Islam. But a federal judge appointed by President Clinton told them in so many words to get over it, that the state was merely teaching kids about another "culture."

So the parents appealed. Unfortunately, the most left-wing court in the land got their case. The 9th Circuit, which previously ruled in favor of an atheist who filed suit against the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, upheld the lower court ruling.

The decision is a major victory for the multiculturalists and Islamic apologists in California and across the country who've never met a culture or religion they didn't like - with the exception of Western civilization and Christianity. They are legally in the clear to indoctrinate kids into the "peaceful" and "tolerant" religion of Islam, while continuing to denigrate Judeo-Christian values.

In the California course on world religions, Christianity is not presented equally. It's covered in just two days and doesn't involve kids in any role-playing activities. But kids do get a good dose of skepticism about the Christian faith, including a biting history of its persecution of other peoples. In contrast, Islam gets a pass from critical review. Even jihad is presented as an "internal personal struggle to do one's best to resist temptation,"

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The Bible and any other religious text does not belong in a public school. In fact, the only place religion should be aloud to be taught outside of private schools is at the university level in classes that students choose to take.

This decision cannot stand.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But it probably will. In politically correct America, we feel the need to "understand" the people trying to kill us, don't you know. That need trumps everything, even the constitution.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
We are dangerously slipping away from a nation of laws. Too many judges are ignoring the Consitution. The scary thing is, the current adminsitration hasn't exactly been perfect, either.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard