Print Thread
#644422 2006-03-17 2:51 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thank You For Smoking

In 1994, when Christopher Buckley published his comic novel Thank You For Smoking — a squib on the culture of spin-and-counterspin that, it’s quaint to say, “pervades Washington these days,” — pop satire was just starting to shrink. Today, cutting edge lampoonery comes almost entirely in literal 800-word stories in The Onion and three minute, monotopical sketches on The Daily Show.

Both formats are crisp and smooth, of course, in quick drags. By contrast, to watch Thank You (which opens in movie theaters today) is to inhale an entire pack of satire in one breath.

Plot-wise, Thank You is The Insider turned inside out. In a seductively witty opening montage, Nick Naylor, lobbyist for the American Academy of Tobacco Sciences (Aaron Eckhart; the blonde wholesomeness, the dopey slickness — it’s hard to escape the conclusion that this is the role he was genetically engineered to play) introduces himself, his words turning into machine gun bullets. “I’m the Colonel Sanders of cigarettes,” he proclaims.

Yes he is. And Washington’s chickens are out to get him. Reporter Heather Holloway (Katie Holmes) is working to expose him. Senator Finistirre of Vermont (William H. Macy) is leading a crusade to brand all cigarette packs with an oversized skull-and-crossbones. A former Marlboro Man (Sam Elliott) is about to go public with his lung cancer. And, to top it all off, cigarettes just aren’t cool anymore.

Naylor aims for each in turn. He lambastes neo-puritan public-health officials, and charms a cancer-stricken boy, on daytime TV. He starts beguiling Holloway. He takes a briefcase full of cash to the Marlboro Man; and when he proves too reticent, Naylor spins him like a top (the mark of great satire: not even cancer victims get off easy).

To watch Naylor at work is to get Thank You’s axial gag: He is a man no longer capable of not spinning, and the world doesn’t care. By way of homework advice to his pre-teen son, he says “If you argue correctly, you’re never wrong.” Trying to convince his ex-wife to let his son go with him on his mission to Hollywood, where he plans to make cigarettes cool again by getting them back on the silver screen, he urges her to consider how many electoral votes California has.

Then there’s the problem that couldn’t have been avoided. Satire works when the world it presents — its targets: Public health as a moral issue, muculent politicians, licentious lobbying — is more ridiculous than the world its audience lives in. The artless horse trading between big tobacco and movie studios comes across as slightly less farcical in light of Thank You’s own rather obvious product-placement shots for Coke.

As it turns out, Naylor wasn’t as successful at beguiling that reporter as he thought he was. Her reportage runs and his life of spin starts to wobble just as Senator Finistirre’s hearings on the evils of tobacco get underway. The only thing that can redeem him is a little bit of libertarian-infused honesty. Can he muster it?

Thank You doesn’t overwhelm, but its rich, flavorful execution will have you hankering (though remember, no research has conclusively proved a link to addiction) for more of the same.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Reitman explains missing Holmes sex scene

Jason Reitman says a projection error — not Tom Cruise — was responsible when a Katie Holmes' sex scene was missing during a screening of her upcoming movie, Thank You for Smoking, at the Sundance Film Festival.

"I was sitting there in the theater, the scene was missing, and my immediate thought was, 'Oh my God, Fox cut the scene out of my movie,'" Reitman told AP Radio in an interview. "And then I realized, 'No, if it's at the end of the reel, the projector probably just accidentally cut it out.'"

Some blamed Cruise, Holmes' fiance, speculating that he had pressured Reitman, son of Ghost Busters director Ivan Reitman, to remove the scene.

"That's a fun story. I'd read that story. The problem is that it's not true," Reitman said. "The problem with 'projection error' is that it's the truth but it sounds like a lie. It sounds an awful lot like 'wardrobe malfunction.'"

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
That movie looks hilarious.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Now that I know it's from the son of the Ghost Busters director, I wanna see it even more.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Now that I know it's from the son of the Ghost Busters director, I wanna see it even more.

Now that you've told me this, I agree with you.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Saw this last night. A very funny movie.

The only major flaw in this movie was the same major flaw of "Batman Begins." That's right: the future Mrs Tom Cruise.

Holmes can be pretty good, and has been pretty good, in projects like "the Gift" and even "Dawson's Creek." But she was completely out of her depth here, trying to play a reporter both clever and sexy enough to match wits with the lead character.

And why cast Holmes, whose not exactly buxom, when the script keeps going on about how her character has "glorious tits"?

However, the rest of the cast was great: Aaron Eckhart, Robert Duvall, Sam Elliott, William C Macey, Maria Bello, Rob Lowe, etc., all turned in sharp, funny, performances. And, except for the flaws around Holmes character, the story was well executed black comedy, and even made you think once or twice.

Definitely a movie to see, either at the theater or on video.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Saw it this weekend and LOVED it!

Stewie (to one of the prostitutes at Cleveland's house): So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway? --Family Guy
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
This is out on video now. If you havent seen it, you should.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Got it on my Netflix list...

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
There are some good funny moments, and the film doesn't betray itself by taking the moral highground. However the fim does drag at times.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Other than the aforementioned scenes with Katie Holmes, I can't think of any "drag" in the film.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I saw it. It was stupid.

I wish people would stop coming in the store and telling me it's great.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I knew there was a reason I liked that movie!

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I saw it. It was stupid.

I wish people would stop coming in the store and telling me it's great.

I wasn't going to rent it until I saw this post.

Link Copied to Clipboard