Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:
The new "Vanguard Issue #1" MUST be named "Snakes on a Plane"!

That would just be plagerism and completely unoriginal.

I propose the first issue title be "Snakes on Train."

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
The next person who says they don't understand.....

....I'm going to shoot all of these people...

shoot 'em. especially that ugly fucker between Nowhereman and Sammitch.

Last edited by Grimm; 2006-03-24 4:39 AM.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
just to put my perspective out there:

this universe/story is not about the past or exploring the changes of the world. yes, the characters are dealing with the changes they've gone through right now. that's what an introductory story is for.

once the team is settled and we move on to other stories, I imagine things will be different.

as for Grimm, I've tried to deliberately be vague about just what he does or doesn't remember. for all intents and purposes, he's a "new" character free and clean of any baggage. and I never said he was from "this" universe. so there.

I'll decide int he next day or so depending on how it goes storywise with this thread, but I may end up waiting til the next Issue to introduce a character if I can't find a good place to throw a complete stranger into the mix...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
hopefully we can make that process a little easier pretty soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Does everyone actually understand the concept okay? I kind of hoped I could avoid literally explaining it, and let our writing define it. But, I don't want the same kind of confusion that led to the demise of the original writings. So, here is the best, loose way I can sum it up...

One Year Ago......

Mxy inadvertently (?) altered time and space. The Vanguard Universe we know was re-written. In some ways, it remained exactly the same. In others, it was completely different. The figures that lived within this universe lived their lives on, never knowing any difference.

For one year.

After one year, a figure calling himself Prometheus pulled eleven beings from the world, and rebooted their memory back to its original status. For these eleven, the last year does not exist in their memory. They do not know why they have changed in the ways they have, nor do they understand what details have changed in the world. Not yet.

Why Prometheus did this remains unknown.

The identities of some of the eleven remain a mystery.

However, these have been confirmed as remembering:

1) Ozzy Baxter
2) Lykopis
3) Adem Different
4) Victor Reilley
5) Icarus Sidewinder
6) Edmund Gaunt
7) Grimm
8) Phil's character
9)
10)
11)

The following people may remember the universe as before. But, without further clarification, it remains unknown:

Link Fox
{Euro's character}
Grissom Montag

These character do not remember the original universe:

Eddie

*Artemis Cross is a character from outside the universe, and therefore, does not count within this list. He was never part of the original universe, and therefore, can know both universes equally*

The characters main purpose for now: Find out what has changed, why, and how it can be corrected. Their mission: Locate the being known as "Mxy".

So, does this clarification help?

if it makes it easier, just take Gaunt off of the list. he's effectively done anyway, so that gives you another "spot" to play around with.

nothing says that the "eleven" all have to be in Vanguard, or that Vanguard has to be all made up of the "eleven."

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
After all, what's the fun if villains don't know too?

BTW, I've interlude-introduced a hero-to-be. As you can see, not all love and sunshine...

I'll find the appropriate spot to bring The Wild Huntsman into the storyline proper, so make sure there's a proper storyline for me to find a spot in!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Euro, have you EVER had a charactrer who ages in linear time?

Eh.

Actually I had the Eurostar of the HR/Vanguard universe, he aged normally from 2001 to yesterday, but I find that he's dead, so, technically, now, no, I haven't.

Too bad, next year he would have been forty. Think of the party...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I suppose, but he DID change powers and identities every other week...

(and who knows, maybe Eddie just THINKS he's dead!
bum-bum-bum!)

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
And Happy Birthday, Grimm

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Eurostar said:
Now, in my previous post I explained why I am interested into this story. I see you have listed Eddie among the ones who remembers.
I think a child three year old can't be aware of the world around him (aside home and parents), so I guess you can scrap him from the list.
But what interest me is that Eddie has been pulled like the other eleven from the altered reality and and has been SUDDENLY found himself grown up.
I don't know what Doc though, but what I find brilliant about his stuff is that I have to write the mind of a three year old kid into a young adult. If you give me a kid that's has been already one year in the body of an adult, the fun is lost.

So, if you concede me this, and don't consider it a lack of respect of Doc's works, but just a reallignment, I will be extremely happy to join you.

Ok, let me explain what I was attempting to do with that post. Honestly, I think you've put Educore through just about everything he can go through. I also figured that Eddie was the next character you had the most emotional attachment to. He's the younger Eurostar, so to speak. As you said, how can a three year-old mind be aware of the world around him? Especially if he's on the run? To further that, how can a three year-old mind get accustomed to growing up in less than a year (my exact words in the post. Three months, five months, who knows.)? This is what I thought I left you with:

• An Eddie left to fend for himself in a mental state where he is not capable of doing so. How can a three year-old, even in a 23 year-old's body live on his own in the world?

• An Eddie with a problem he can't understand. Once again, I just can't imagine him being used to his body. He's grown, not all at once, in less than a year. Also, is this process finished, or ongoing? Will Eddie continue to age?

• What powers, if any, does Eddie have?

• Why was Educore running? What was after him? Or what was he after? Why live the life he'd put Eddie through? Was Walker after him again (or for the first time)?

• Most important: Why is Educore dead? Who or what killed him? Was it natural? Did someone finally get to him? Could it even have been Eddie himself?

I'm sorry if that wasn't clear, but I didn't want to give a direction for the character. I thought that should have been up to you, if you wanted it. I'm willing to delete what I posted if you'd like; or you could just ignore it. You're the one writing it, it's up to you. I was just trying to give you something new with a great deal of room for you to work with, is all.

Don't feel sorry, it was very good and I appreciated it, especially the fact that you took my request.

I should say that most of the points above, that for a person who wrote Vanguard but, I guess, had no interest into reading the solo things I have written lately, could seems an interesting spin, they have been somehow been touched before, and seem to come out directly from what I was writing. I know it's a coincidence, but I didn't found the astonishment I was looking, and I concentrated over the only appeal I had in it, the idea of a three year old that like all the children of that age dreams of become an adult in the matter of a night, and that "magically" it did.

The "being on the run" seems to spring out directly from the aborted Worldwalkers story (and the use of it as the past of Eddie I did in my Last days of Vanguard solo); that, too, other than the reference to Ed having been associated to Grissom, gave me the wrong impression that Eddie was one of those that remembered the past.

So, while you created a situation for you (and most of the others) new, I saw it ashaving still Ed and Eddie on the run from EnKi and Aurochs.

Sure, there was the question of how Edulcore died, but I was unable to cope with how Eddie was remembering the past and still having lived the whole year, and so I tried to rectify it without contraddiction too much. After all, what I was interested in (what astonished me of your take) was to pair Eddie with my daughter and her dream to finally being answered in her prayer to become "a grown -up".

So, I thank you anyway for your post; I ask you, also, to delete it; I am thorn between using your Eddie and another character I have talked about with Pro, but in any case, whatever character I will use, it's better if he "enters the stage" much later, without meeting the Vanguardians right now.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

And Happy Birthday, Grimm

it has begun.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Happy Birthday Grimm!

Do you wish "a hundred of this day" to people having a birthday in America?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
what does that mean? the second part. I know what the first means.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
It means that you whish the the one having the brthday, other one hundred birthdays. It's a way to whish someone a long life.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Yeah, but we call it, "and many more"...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I like the new character, I-Man. Can't wait to see him in action!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I'm glad Doc took Euro's request and not me. I was just gonna take his character and make him deaf.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Eurostar said:
Don't feel sorry, it was very good and I appreciated it, especially the fact that you took my request.

I should say that most of the points above, that for a person who wrote Vanguard but, I guess, had no interest into reading the solo things I have written lately, could seems an interesting spin, they have been somehow been touched before, and seem to come out directly from what I was writing. I know it's a coincidence, but I didn't found the astonishment I was looking, and I concentrated over the only appeal I had in it, the idea of a three year old that like all the children of that age dreams of become an adult in the matter of a night, and that "magically" it did.

The "being on the run" seems to spring out directly from the aborted Worldwalkers story (and the use of it as the past of Eddie I did in my Last days of Vanguard solo); that, too, other than the reference to Ed having been associated to Grissom, gave me the wrong impression that Eddie was one of those that remembered the past.

So, while you created a situation for you (and most of the others) new, I saw it ashaving still Ed and Eddie on the run from EnKi and Aurochs.

Sure, there was the question of how Edulcore died, but I was unable to cope with how Eddie was remembering the past and still having lived the whole year, and so I tried to rectify it without contraddiction too much. After all, what I was interested in (what astonished me of your take) was to pair Eddie with my daughter and her dream to finally being answered in her prayer to become "a grown -up".

So, I thank you anyway for your post; I ask you, also, to delete it; I am thorn between using your Eddie and another character I have talked about with Pro, but in any case, whatever character I will use, it's better if he "enters the stage" much later, without meeting the Vanguardians right now.

Well, it's gone now; so you have a clean slate to do as you please.

Honestly, I did copy many of the things you'd previously written on purpose. Though this may be a new timeline or universe or whatever you want to call it, there are obviously things that are similar. Though Montag may not be a meta, he definitely exists; and he has, according to Chewy's post, at least one three fingered hand (birth defect or tragic accident? ). I felt that the new came from the perspective and not just the circumstance. You may have done similar stories, but they were always Educore's stories told from his point of view. You'd never really gotten into Eddie's head, and I thought that would have been a fresh outlook on what's going on as well as the characters themselves.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
500+ posts
500+ posts
my gob damn enternet if fucking up, have anther post but will have to wait till i fix it my computer to post it.pro i'm borrowing you desk top for a moment

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
500+ posts
500+ posts
very nice i-man

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Ohhhhhh... I didn't understand everything when I posted Link's intro, Pro (or when I sent you that PM... no, not the kinky one... this means the "body" can be anywhere and not in the island as I said).

Does Link remember the old world? Hmmmm... well, by logic, the "eleven and a half months" part of my post should mean he does, but I don't really have any problems one way or the other.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
good stuff, kids.

Euro, like Chewy said, we say "many more."

since Doc and Euro deleted their posts I thought I'd try my hand at the Ed/Eddie thing. see what you think.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Oh, look everyone, Grimm managed to rope me back in.

That being said, Pro, I enjoy the tweaking of Lykopis.

I'll probably get started tonight after dinner. I have a lot of catching up to do...

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Jackie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Happy Birthday, big boy.

Dang, I have a lot of reading to do...

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
you gonna come over later and give me my present?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Uhhh, Grimm? You may want to delete that last post. Euro PMed me back and forth, and, he's decided he's not going with Eddie or Euro. However, Nadia may be up for use. Just letting you know before it gets confusing...

CJ!! Welcome back! And there go my plans for Lykopis....

Grimm, I completely agree. Not all the eleven have to be in Vanguard. And, as we only have...what...three? spots left...I would be against ANY MORE CHARACTERS KNOWING at this time. Let's leave a little room to play with in the future, people....sheesh...

Mxy, personally, I was hoping Link would not remember. It would be nice if we had at least ONE new character in this. But, in the end, that's your call.

I haven't read Cross or I-Man's posts yet....I'll get back to you...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Oh, and for CJ, here's a tally of the characters we have seen in play, so far:

Active:

Ozzy Baxter (me)
Lykopis (CJ)
Adem Different
Icarus Sidewinder (Chewy)
Victor Reilley (Danny)
Grimm (Grimm)

Inactive, but seen:

Artemis Cross (Cross)
Grissom Montag (Chewy)
Richard Merrick (I-Man)

Mentioned, but not used:

-Phil's character
-Euro's character

At some point within this story or the next, I'll be writing Adem Different out...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Ceej... marry me.

That is all.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Dammit, I can't compete with Chewy!

I posted and stuff. Since we've got a Drummer now, I took a page from Elijah.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
ooh! ooh!

Can I be the black guy who dies in a flashback?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I think Ambrose was taken already. You might wanna check. :p

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
That's alright -- my writing style tends more in the Grant Morrison vein than the Warren Ellis vein anyway...

(After all, my dimension-hopping New MBL character with 128 senses just became self-aware that he was a fictional entity...)

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
So, Phil must have used his telepathy to scan the world, and locate his old teammates in England, less than nine hours after they were dropped there? And then, used light-speed powers to get to them from across the ocean? And, has walked in, and immediately caught up and slid right back into the swing of things?

Glad you took some time for character reflection....

Just fucking with you Phil. Good stuff. Welcome back.

Now, since he's an uber-telekinetic, I can only assume you've done away with the telepathy...in order to not make him an uber character, right? I mean, as one of the Eleven, his memory was rebooted by Prometheus. So...I can only assume he doesn't know why he's got white hair now? Or, what's happened to his life in this universe? Right?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Working on it.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I didn't really think his powers were that lopsided. I've done away with some things, but I haven't completely rewritten him.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dude, it's nothing you have to concern yourself with explaining. I was just fucking with you. I'm going on and using Phil just as I would any other time. None of the rest of us have explained how or why our characters look different. You shouldn't waste your time doing it either.

Anyway, just wanted to get a bit more of "the world" out there for you guys. Absorb it at your leisure...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
BTW, Cross and I-Man....GREAT stuff!

I'm seriously enjoying this influx of new blood. I-Man, I think I'm going to like this 'Hulk' of yours. He should be fun to fuck with....

And Cross, you finally made it to Amsterdam, eh?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
hey guys. I thought I made it pretty obvious in my previous post that Grimm had turned in for the night. Please edit him out. Thanks.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Uhhh, Grimm? You may want to delete that last post. Euro PMed me back and forth, and, he's decided he's not going with Eddie or Euro. However, Nadia may be up for use. Just letting you know before it gets confusing...

nothing a few name changes couldn't fix.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard