Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
By the way, I think Chris Oakley has a challenger for the "I'm always wrong about sports" award.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
By the way, I think Chris Oakley has a challenger for the "I'm always wrong about sports" award.

My original thoughts on San Antonio were right. My thoughts on Dallas being the bigger threat were right.

No reverse psychology here. Both should be seven game series. I like Nash, so that one is more of a hope. As for Miami, they're healthy, and Detroit isn't. But, their dumbass assistant coach was on the radio this morning, and when asked the difference between this year's Heat and last, he said last year the Pistons won because the Heat were hurt. The Pistons thrive on that stuff. It motivates them to have the world against them, and that's what I've been hearing and reading, that Miami will win. They've been playing great, and after the way Detroit almost got beaten by a one man show in the last round, it would make sense to go with Miami.

But, in reality, I'm just not going to get my hopes up. Like with the Tigers, I'd rather sit back and enjoy the show than worry about making bold predictions. I have enough to worry about as it is, I don't need to obsess over sports as well.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'm just giving you a hard time because you picked the Heat to lose in the first round and now you're picking them to make it to the Finals.

At least you don't hate minorities like Chris.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
It's not easy to make correct predictions, even in a sport I know more about than most people I know. In the NHL playoffs, I picked seven of eight series correctly in the first round, and that was only because I allowed myself to be blinded by my home team. In the second round, I was half right. In the third round, I haven't made a prediction, although unless something happens tonight, I think Edmonton will make it to the finals, because each series should go seven, and both should be evenly matched. I won't even begin to predict baseball, especially this early in the season. I don't think the Tigers will stay in first, but they might win the Wild Card if they can avoid a big losing streak. Still, even at the half, when predictions are more accurate, things can go south in a hurry.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I'm giving you a hard time because you're a spineless prick who blames the world for his troubles and has no taste in sports teams.

PJP #666985 2006-05-24 1:14 AM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
did I say that out loud?

PJP #666986 2006-05-24 1:15 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
I'm giving you a hard time because you're a spineless prick who blames the world for his troubles and has no taste in sports teams.

Um, what now?

I blame no one for nothing. My lot in life is what it is. I think you're projecting yourself on me.

Woosah, my friend. Deep breaths and all that.

RDCW Profile

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I fart on you.

PJP #666988 2006-05-24 1:19 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
And it really smells. You need to soak the beans in baking soda first. Then you don't get all that nasty gas.

Last edited by PenWing; 2006-05-24 1:19 AM.

RDCW Profile

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
A lot of interesting information about the TV ratings coming from the Houston Chronicle about the NBA finals opener:

Quote:

As we projected last week, the Mavericks-Heat NBA Finals have started like a typical NBA Finals involving a Texas team — down in the dumps in the Nielsen ratings.

Even though the outcome was in doubt most of the way, Game 1 had a 7.8 national Nielsen rating with an average audience of 8.56 million households. That's up from 7.2 and 7.86 million for the Spurs-Pistons opener last year but down from 9.8 and 10.6 million for Game 1 of Pistons-Lakers two years ago.

Houston held up its end with an 11.5 rating on KTRK (Channel 13), but that was down from 12.4 for last year's opener. Dallas-Fort Worth rated 32.8, the highest ever for a Mavericks game but no great shakes when compared with the 36.0 rating in Houston for Game 1 of the World Series, which eventually averaged 41.2.

Miami, meanwhile, had a surprisingly ho-hum 24.9 Game 1 rating.

I'm a little surprised by this. I really thought that Dallas and Miami, two major markets and two pretty exciting teams, both with clear starpower, would do well in the ratings. You've got Shaq, Dirk, Wade, lots of points, and two cities that love their sports franchises. Apparently, unless LeBron James is playing, people don't give a shit about basketball much anymore.

However, I was right about this series beating last year's abysmally bad ratings. MSNBC had this blurb the other day:

Quote:

NEW YORK - Ratings for the first two games of the the NBA finals between Miami and Dallas were up 13 percent for ABC in comparison to last year's championship series with San Antonio and Detroit.

The second game of the series on Sunday night, which Dallas won 99-85, drew an average rating of 8.0 _ a 17 percent increase from 2005.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. Each rating point represents about 1.08 million households.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard