Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
They will probably just start the season in January.

Running a full season's worth of episdoes or just a half season?

If you run a full season's worth, that means you push the CI and CJ seasons into summer. If you run a half season, you're going to have an unhappy crew at CI if you only pay for a half a season.

We all wear a green carnation.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I don't know, Alias was run back to back, no repeats and did a full season last year. They didn't have to go into summer from what I remember.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
It appears that Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and."Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" will run in a two hour block on Tuesdays, while the original "Law and Order" will be consigned to the Friday, 10 pm death slot.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts

Hopefully SVU won't conflict with NCIS, or else I'd have to tape that one ep (of SVU) and try and find the time to watch it later.

As for the original L&O , I don't have much trust in networks right now. First Alias now this.

now granted I don't watch L&O on NBC, but on TNT, just don't feel like watching it 'live' when its on nearly all day long on TNT and I usually catch 1 or 2 episodes on there after work before tuning into something else or going up to my room.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think they are gunna cancel G-M: FPITA

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
What shows are being moved again? Can someone make a list?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
It appears that Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and."Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" will run in a two hour block on Tuesdays, while the original "Law and Order" will be consigned to the Friday, 10 pm death slot.

Many of us L&O fans are worried this is STAR TREK 1968 all over again.

I know I won't be watching any first-run L&O's from late August through October because of my daughter's high schoo's football schedule.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
A lot of shows dont start running new eps until October anyway, so you probably won't miss too many.

BTW, I could be wrong but this point, L&O has to be getting close to Gunsmoke for longevity, correct?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Coming up on 16 years compared to Gunsmoke's 20.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
L&O just completed its 16th season.

Exec producer Dick Wolf has mentioned before that it's a dream of his for L&O to surpass GUNSMOKE's longevity as a primetime drama.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think its going to make it. For some reason, I was thinking L&O had started in 88.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think its going to make it. For some reason, I was thinking L&O had started in 88.

To my understanding, the show's first episode, "Prescription For Death," was aired in 1988 on CBS as a pilot for the show. CBS declined to pick it up, but NBC bought the series, made some changes to it (most notably, replacing Roy Thinnes's DA Arthur Wentworth with Stephen Hill's Adam Schiff) in 1990 and episodes began airing that same year.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
L&O's been on a fairly steady ratings decline since about 2002.

NBC's moving it to Fridays can be viewed as an attempt by the network and Dick Wolf to keep the show going and get it away from AMERICAN IDOL and LOST on Wednesdays. Furthermore, it hasn't helped that L&O has had no decent lead-in to keep viewers since NBC moved THE WEST WING from Wednesday nights at 9pm.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
To my understanding, the show's first episode, "Prescription For Death," was aired in 1988 on CBS as a pilot for the show.

Ah, that probably explains it. I probably saw the CBS pilot.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I want the original attorney and assistent back. McCoy is a dick and his line of sluts are annoying. Stone was cool.

In fact, I think the thing that's pissed me off the most since him leaving is when the very first ADA defended a case for an addict child abductor and the writers actually had the nerve to have him say (paraphrased), 'Stone told me something before I left: You're either going to be a lawyer who's a black man or a black man who's a lawyer.' That pissed me off so much.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, Michael Moriarity was great. Nothing against McCoy, but Stone was way better.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Dennis Farina to leave 'Law & Order'
5/30/2006, 6:46 p.m. CT
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Dennis Farina is turning in his "Law & Order" badge. Farina has decided to leave his role as New York police Detective Joe Fontana after two seasons on the NBC drama to pursue other offers and projects being developed by his production company, his spokeswoman, Lori De Waal, said Tuesday.

Advertisement

The actor's movie credits include "Get Shorty," "Midnight Run," "Out of Sight" and the upcoming "Purple Violets" and "You Kill Me."

Dick Wolf, creator and executive producer of "Law & Order," said in a statement that he respected Farina's decision and looked forward to working with him again.

Farina's departure isn't the only change for "Law & Order," which has a long history of cast turnover. Assistant district attorney Alexandra Borgia, played by Annie Parisse, was killed in the season finale as she investigated a murder case.

Parisse was part of a succession of actresses playing young female prosecutors paired with assistant D.A. Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston), including Jill Hennessy, Carey Lowell, Angie Harmon and Elizabeth Rohm.

Farina had succeeded longtime series fixture Jerry Orbach, whose Detective Lennie Briscoe was to be featured in a "Law & Order" spinoff before Orbach's death in 2004.

There was no announcement of cast additions for next season, a "Law & Order" spokeswoman said Tuesday

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
They should get Brian Dennehy.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
'Law & Order: SVU' May Be Over

You wouldn’t think that NBC could afford to lose a hit show right now, but that’s what may happen.

Sources tell me that NBC is playing hardball with stars Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni, not wanting to pay them big increases if they stay for a ninth season next fall.

“It’s not Dick Wolf,” my source says of the notoriously capricious producer. Wolf is infamous for constantly replacing and substituting actors on the original “Law & Order.” But so far the cast has remained stable for “SVU” since it launched eight years ago.

NBC, however, according to insiders, doesn’t seem to care whether the show returns or not. “They’re acting like they want Chris and Mariska out of there,”

with cost-cutting and layoffs going on, NBC is said to feel that they don’t mind losing the show or starting over with new, less expensive actors.

Personally, I think its more likely, given its a "Law and Order" show, that NBC would opt for new cast members and keep the show going.

I also wonder how the ratings were when Hargitay took some time off earlier this year. If the ratings stayed the same, maybe NBC figures they don't need her and can hire someone cheaper.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Further, SVU has the largest primary cast of the L&O shows and can probably afford, script-wise, to lose an actor or two.

Many in L&O fandom repeatedly gripe about the lack of screentime for the Munch and Fin characters anyway.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
People still watch SVU?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, it wins its time slot most weeks. Its still a pretty big hit.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Still, it's not as popular as it used to be. Perhaps they should rearrange the theme a bit:

Aside form South Park, it'd be the first show I knew of that actually had the balls to talk about it. That's sure to help their ratings.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Good that show has been balls since that old guy croaked.....

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
'Law & Order' Chaos

It's chaos in the world of Dick Wolf and "Law & Order."

Last year at this time, we told you NBC was going to cancel the series after 17 seasons and countless, ceaseless reruns in syndication. But the network relented.

Now NBC is sharpening its axe again, looking at both classic "L&O" and spin-off "Criminal Intent" as prime shows to cross off its schedule for next year.

Already told she's out at "Law & Order" is producer Jamie Crowell Blank. She was a controversial presence anyway based on a still unsettled sexual harassment brought by a former staffer.

Wolf is also telling insiders that if "Law & Order" is renewed, he's dumping Jesse L. Martin and Milena Govich, who play the cops on the show. Wolf is coming up with a plan to cut the show's weekly budget in half, and replacing those actors with less expensive ones would be a way to do that, sources say.

But there's another problem on "Law & Order": S. Epatha Merkerson, the much-admired actress who has been with the show from the start, is unhappy.

Merkerson, who plays a desk-bound cop, has been complaining for years of not having enough airtime. Lately scripts have had her out on investigations, but Merkerson's recent raft of awards and nominations for HBO's "Lackawanna Blues" has emboldened her to make demands and to consider leaving the show altogether.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
LAW & ORDER To Get Record-Breaking 21st Season On NBC
  • Buried at the bottom of a Thursday Business Week story comes word that NBC plans to bring “Law & Order” back for a 21st season, which would break CBS’ old “Gunsmoke” record for longest-running primetime drama:

“I’m a ‘Law & Order’ junkie,” [NBC primetime entertainment president Angela] Bromstad said. “I wouldn’t want to be responsible for not having ‘Law & Order’ break the record.”

“The Simpsons,” which launched nine months earlier than “L&O,” is currently in its 21st season and holds the record for primetime sitcom. “60 Minutes,” launched in 1968, is in its 41st season and holds the record for primetime series.

Outside primetime, “Meet The Press” is the longest-running TV series, having debuted in 1947. “Guiding Light” began life on radio in 1937, hopped to TV in 1952 and finally left the air last fall.

“L&O’s” 20th season premiere pulled a miserable 1.2 in the 18-49 demo, but the series has improved steadily since. Its last new episode of 2009 hit a 1.7, matching its season high in the 8 p.m. Friday timeslot

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
  • Buried at the bottom of a Thursday Business Week story comes word that NBC plans to bring “Law & Order” back for a 21st season, which would break CBS’ old “Gunsmoke” record for longest-running primetime drama:

“I’m a ‘Law & Order’ junkie,” [NBC primetime entertainment president Angela] Bromstad said. “I wouldn’t want to be responsible for not having ‘Law & Order’ break the record.”

“The Simpsons,” which launched nine months earlier than “L&O,” is currently in its 21st season and holds the record for primetime sitcom. “60 Minutes,” launched in 1968, is in its 41st season and holds the record for primetime series.

Outside primetime, “Meet The Press” is the longest-running TV series, having debuted in 1947. “Guiding Light” began life on radio in 1937, hopped to TV in 1952 and finally left the air last fall.

“L&O’s” 20th season premiere pulled a miserable 1.2 in the 18-49 demo, but the series has improved steadily since. Its last new episode of 2009 hit a 1.7, matching its season high in the 8 p.m. Friday timeslot

Friday at 8 isn't the best timeslot for any show.

As another L&O junkie, I have found the recent cast changes really good, helping to revitalize the show's creativity. Is that enough to keep it going? Dunno. I too would like to see it break GUNSMOKE's record.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Wasn't this the exact same reason Gunsmoke kept going? Because the dude who ran the channel said it was a his favorite show and didn't want to see it replaced with Gilligan's Island?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jim Jackson
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Friday at 8 isn't the best timeslot for any show.

As another L&O junkie, I have found the recent cast changes really good, helping to revitalize the show's creativity. Is that enough to keep it going? Dunno. I too would like to see it break GUNSMOKE's record.

I will continue to not care and repost the article just like jimbo did even though it was in the post right above his.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Quote:

Wasn't this the exact same reason Gunsmoke kept going? Because the dude who ran the channel said it was a his favorite show and didn't want to see it replaced with Gilligan's Island?

Well, I'm not sure.

But GUNSMOKE did last until 1975, while GILLIGAN was gone by 1967.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Gilligan was to get another season until the CBS president found out that Gunsmoke, his favorite show, had been cancelled while he was on vacation. Ro make room to bring Gunsmoke back, they ditched Gilligan.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Gilligan was to get another season until the CBS president found out that Gunsmoke, his favorite show, had been cancelled while he was on vacation. Ro make room to bring Gunsmoke back, they ditched Gilligan.

Hm. GILLIGAN was a half-hour. GUNSMOKE was an hour.

But what the hey.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You really don't need to quote the post right before yours.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

Yeah.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
 Originally Posted By: rex

Yeah.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Leno's failure mean we get LAW AND ORDER back where it belongs, Wednesday, 10:00PM?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard