Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Ap61D3xF23bXLqvw9W2WDD0RvLYF?gid=260824126&prov=ap

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds began a crucial stretch against the teams chasing them in the NL wild-card race with quite the comeback victory.

They scored their final four runs with two outs.

David Ross' solo homer broke a tie in the eighth and the Reds rallied from a three-run deficit to beat the San Francisco Giants 6-3 on Thursday night.

Ross connected against Vinnie Chulk (0-2) with a drive to left for the Reds, who began a season-long 10-game road trip against contending NL West teams by pulling within .0004 of first-place St. Louis in the NL Central (.5238 to .5234).

"A big win," Ross said. "When there are so many teams in it, it's nice to gain ground on anybody. What everybody's worrying about in here is taking care of ourselves at this point."

ADVERTISEMENT
Ryan Franklin (5-6) got the final out in the seventh for the win as Cincinnati gained a half-game on idle San Diego for a 1 1/2 -game edge in the wild-card race. David Weathers pitched the ninth for his 10th save in 16 chances.

Edwin Encarnacion drove in two runs for the Reds on a cold August evening at San Francisco's waterfront ballpark, where the first-pitch temperature was 58 degrees. Juan Castro hit a two-run single in the ninth off Mike Stanton for the Reds' final runs.

"The big thing for us is every game is huge from here on out," Weathers said. "Every time we have a chance to get a win, we have to jump on it."

Pedro Feliz hit a two-run homer and Randy Winn added a solo shot, but the Giants didn't score a run after the second inning.

San Francisco had won eight of 10 to get back in the playoff chase after the Giants seemed out of it following their fifth straight loss Aug. 13 at Los Angeles to fall 7 1/2 games behind in the NL West race. The Giants now trail division-leading Los Angeles by 4 1/2 games, and the Giants are five games back in the wild-card chase.

Trailing 3-0, Encarnacion singled in a run to get the Reds on the board in the sixth. The ball bounced slightly in front of second and over the bag and rolled under lunging second baseman Ray Durham.

"That was a big play," Giants manager Felipe Alou said. "I still don't know what happened with the ball that went over the bag and into the outfield. ... That game was lost. You know what I mean? Lost. Not l-o-s-s. It was lost, l-o-s-t."

Cincinnati Reds' Ken Griffey Jr., left, scores past San Francisco Giants pitcher Brad Hennessey on a passed ball in the sixth inning of a baseball game Thursday, Aug. 24, 2006, in San Francisco.
AP - Aug 25, 12:04 am EDT
More Photos
Ken Griffey Jr. scored from third on a passed ball moments after Encarnacion's hit.

Encarnacion doubled in the tying run in the seventh.

Brad Hennessey had a better showing than his previous performance, when the right-hander didn't make it out of the second inning in the shortest outing of his career Saturday against the Dodgers.

Durham extended his season-best and team-high hitting streak to 14 games with a leadoff double in the second, then Feliz followed with a drive to left on a 2-2 pitch from Eric Milton for his 21st home run of the season.

Winn hit Milton's second pitch of the game over the left-field wall for his 10th home run and second leadoff homer of the year.

Barry Bonds went 0-for-3 with a walk in his 2,834th career game, tying him with Al Kaline for 14th on the all-time list.

Bonds, who hit his 725th career homer Monday night against Arizona and had produced back-to-back multihit games for the first time in two years, and Griffey have a combined 1,286 home runs -- the second most by two players in the same game behind Hank Aaron and Willie Mays (1,355) when the Mets played at the Atlanta Braves on July 17, 1973.

Bonds flied out to Griffey in center field to end the first inning, then Griffey hit a fly ball to Bonds in left in the fourth.

Notes

Bonds is second on the career homers list behind Aaron's record 755, while Griffey's 561 homers are good for 11th place. ... Reds SS Aurilia visited with fans and enjoyed another return to the city where he played the first nine years of his career before leaving after the '03 season. ... Kevin Correia pitched on his 26th birthday. ... A rally rabbi was on hand for the stadium's Jewish Heritage Night. ... Winn has 11 career leadoff homers and six as a member of the Giants, who he joined last summer in a trade from Seattle.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Cincinnati before trade: 46-44
Cincinnati after trade: 34-38

So...what do I win from the bet?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Nothing we found out Bowden didn't reveal Majewski's injury. Therefore you're disqualified.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Peter Gammons says the Reds just signed Alex Gonzalez to a three year, $14 million deal.

It's a good thing they traded a younger, better, cheaper shortstop six months earlier.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Cincinnati Reds
5 World Series championships in 9 trips.

Houston Astros, 0 in 1 trip.

I just felt like saying that.

We all wear a green carnation.
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
At least the Astro's have been there THIS century!

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Cincinnati Reds
5 World Series championships in 9 trips.

Houston Astros, 0 in 1 trip.

Thank you for the "has nothing to do with anything" comment of the week. I'm not a Reds-hater. Actually, I like several of their players. Junior of course, Adam Dunn(who the Cincy media gives way too much flack for his strikeouts; see what you can do about that), former Ranger farmhand and Rob Bell giveaway prize Edwin Encarnacion, former Ranger farmhand Aaron Harang, former Ranger farmhand Rich Aurilia...they even have the former Ranger manager Jerry Narron.

As a fan of baseball in generall, though, it's hard not to notice that they're just a very poorly run team right now.

By the way: the Reds have been around three times as long as the Astros. If 80 years from now the Astros haven't won five championships, I'll concede the (currently lack of a) point to you.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

As a fan of baseball in generall, though, it's hard not to notice that they're just a very poorly run team right now.

Quote:

NL CENTRAL W L Pct. GB Streak
St. Louis 83 78 .516 – Lost 1
Houston 82 80 .506 1½ Lost 1
Cincinnati 80 82 .494 3½ Lost 2
Milwaukee 75 87 .463 8½ Won 1
Pittsburgh 67 95 .414 16½ Won 2
Chicago Cubs 66 96 .407 17½ Won 1

yes, yes you can tell they are ran horribly worse then the world champion team, why krivsky ran them nearly 2 games worse

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

Thank you for the "has nothing to do with anything" comment of the week.

You're welcome. Like I said, I just felt like saying it. And thanks for Joe Morgan. We loved him.

Quote:

ACtually, you must not have watched this season. The Reds, for the first time since 1999, were in it until the last week of the season (evinced by the fact that the Cardinals won only 3 more games than the Reds). The Reds of 06 made a variety of in-season trades in an effort to better themselves for a playoff run. Any "fan of baseball" should have seen that.

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2006-11-19 12:58 PM.

We all wear a green carnation.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Get off his leg Jim!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Dear Blind Animalman,

The Reds bullpen put up a combined 5.16 earned run average in the first half of last season, the retooled bullpen went 15-11 with a 3.51 ERA in the second half. Krivsky really ruined the bullpen didn't he?

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Reds trade LaRue
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds traded catcher Jason LaRue, their longest tenured player, to the Kansas City Royals today for a player to be named.

LaRue, 33, lost his starting job to David Ross last season and hit a career-low .194. He was due to make $5.2 million next season.

LaRue had played his entire eight-year career with the Reds. Ken Griffey Jr. is now the longest-tenured Red.

Also today, the Reds announced that they have signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez and left-handed reliever to Mike Stanton to multiyear deals.

Gonzalez, 29, was signed to a three-year deal. He is considered one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball.

He had only seven errors in 111 games last year. He led American League shortstops with a club-record .985 fielding percentage. He went 57 games without an error, setting a Rod Sox team record for shortstops.

Gonzalez hit .255 with nine home runs and 50 RBI for the Red Sox. Gonzalez played the frist eight seasons of his career with the Florida Marlins.

Stanton, 39, signed a two-year deal with a club option for 2009.

He went 7-7 with a 3.99 ERA and eight saves in 82 games for the Washington Nationals and San Francisco Giants last season. He began the season with the Nationals and made 56 appearances before he was traded to the Giants on July 28 in exchange for a minor leaguer.

He finished the season as San Francisco’s closer. He was 4-2 with eigh saves and a 3.09 ERA after the trade.

Stanton is the active leader in appearances with 1,108. He is third all time behind Jesse Orosco (1,248 relief appearances) and John Franco (1,119).

Stanton has a career ERA of 2.10 in 53 post-season appearances. He was with Yankees for their run of three straight titlte for 1998-2000. He is 3-0 with a 1.54 ERA and a save in 20 appearances during six World Series.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
Dear Blind Animalman,

The Reds bullpen put up a combined 5.16 earned run average in the first half of last season, the retooled bullpen went 15-11 with a 3.51 ERA in the second half. Krivsky really ruined the bullpen didn't he?

That's about when the Reds got Eddie Guardardo from Seattle! Obviously, he CARRIED the Reds bullpen!!!

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

yes, yes you can tell they are ran horribly worse then the world champion team, why krivsky ran them nearly 2 games worse

The World Champion team was not terribly good in the regular season, mainly because of the staggering number of injuries. Pujols and Rolen both missed 20 games, Edmonds missed 50, Spiezo missed 40, Mulder missed half the season, Isringhausen missed the last month. Chris Duncan and Anthony Reyes weren't promoted until well into the year.

The NL Central is by far the worst division in baseball, and that is the only reason the Cardinals even got the chance to win the World Series.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
And thanks for Joe Morgan. We loved him.

Not the Astros finest moment(I'm not a Lee May fan), but if you're trying to wound me, you should probably try referencing an event that didn't occur 15 years before I was born.

Quote:

ACtually, you must not have watched this season. The Reds, for the first time since 1999, were in it until the last week of the season (evinced by the fact that the Cardinals won only 3 more games than the Reds). The Reds of 06 made a variety of in-season trades in an effort to better themselves for a playoff run. Any "fan of baseball" should have seen that.

The Reds very well might have won it if not for those in-season trades you mention, though saying they were "in it" is pretty misleading, considering they finished seventh out of the 16 NL teams overall. Barely middle of the pack. Plus, although they did win 80 games, their pythagorean record was about five games worse, and their runs scored/runs allowed differential was not very good at all.

For Jim Bowden's many faults, he did leave the last two GM's with a pretty nice collection of offensive talent...which O'Brien and Krivsky have almost entirely squandered.

There was the lowballing of Barry Larking back in '04, who, even at 40, was still a pretty effective player. There was the signing of Scott Hatteberg, which negated arguably the best move they made in years(getting rid of Sean Casey), and prevented them from moving Adam Dunn to first base and thinning out the logjam in the outfield rather than senselessly trading valuable parts for nothing...which then led to one of the worst trades of the '06 season, where they gave up two of their best young position players for replacable middle relievers who weren't that great before they got to Cincy, and weren't even good after they arrived(Majewski had his 8.4 ERA, Bray a 4.23 ERA). It was a terrible move. I said it was a terrible move, a lot of people said it was a terrible move...the only people outside the Cincinnati front office who didn't seem to think it was a terrible move was bsams(who also thought the Eric Milton signing wasn't bad), and some local reporters who seemed to change their minds a few times in the assessment process.

And now they've replaced one of those aforementioned young, quality position players by overpaying for Alex Gonzalez, who will be 30 in February and just finished stinking it up in Boston.

There were a few other bad decisions. They extended Hatterberg on the basis of a first half they should have realized was fluke(the guy is 36 and has been mediocre everywhere else...why would he suddenly become great?). They didn't give Chris Denorfia consistent playing time at all, even though he completely outplayed the more popular Ryan Freel in September(Denorfia hit .352 that month, but for some bizarre reason split time with Freel, who bombed after a hot start to the year, hitting .208). They really should have forced Griffey to a corner spot eons ago, and that is an error that most likely cost him and the Reds a great deal of wins and money.

The Reds did make one or two small moves that paid off, a little. They traded for Eddie Guardado, who gave them about a dozen innings of quality work before tearing a ligament in his elbow, possibly ending his career. They also got Scott Schoeneweis, who gave them about the same number of innings, and was suprisingly, if not miraculously, good. I give them props for that. Still, it's two small successes buried under an avalance of failures, if you get my metaphor.

Quote:

I don't believe I said Krivsky ruined the bullpen, but whatever improvement that was made came from the players they already had, and the two small trades I just mentioned(not from the big trade which we've discussed in this thread). Of course, the stat you're mentioning there, which I'm not going to check but will assume is true, belies what was a collapse in almost every other regard for the team in the second half. Most notably, their offense crumbled thanks to the gaping hole left by the Kearns/Lopez trade and the fact that veterans like Aurilia, Hatteberg and Freel all came back down to earth and played more like they had been for the past decade; something you didn't exactly need a crystal ball to predict. It's called "regressing to the norm".

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
Quote:

Dear Blind Animalman,

That's about when the Reds got Eddie Guardardo from Seattle! Obviously, he CARRIED the Reds bullpen!!!

yes jafabian, he pitched a inning or less, and finished the season on the dl. you sir are a mathematical genius

Quote:

They traded for Eddie Guardado, who gave them about a dozen innings of quality work before tearing a ligament in his elbow, possibly ending his career.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Dear Animalman,

Nice try on trying to make excuses, but the Reds, finishes almost in first, bolstered their bullpen via trades. Were leading the wild card until 2 weeks left and their horrible west coast collapse. So please do continue trying to save face, but really we all know better.

Sincerely,
The real baseball experts

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Dear Animalman,

Nice try on trying to make excuses, but the Reds, finishes almost in first, bolstered their bullpen via trades. Were leading the wild card until 2 weeks left and their horrible west coast collapse. So please do continue trying to save face, but really we all know better.

Sincerely,
The real baseball experts

Dear real baseball experts,

I am trying to properly translate certain phrases. Certain expert phrases. For example:

"almost in first" - seems to mean, "third, in the worst division in baseball"

"bolstered their bullpen via trades" - seems to mean, "traded for eight pitchers who combined for an ERA of 4.05 in 131 innings, and in the process gutted their offense"

"were leading the wild card with two weeks left" - seems to mean "were leading with one week left...in August"

Sincerely,

(Blind) Animalman

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Dear Animalman,

At least you finally admitted they made some good moves. It wasnt hard was it.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Does this mean you'll finally admit I won the bet?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'd like some jolly ranchers.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
i got your fucking jolly ranchers.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061207/SPT04/312070012/1062/SPT

Quote:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - The Reds pulled off one of the shockers at the Winter Meetings this morning when they traded for Josh Hamilton, the talented but troubled outfielder.

"It's worth the gamble," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

The Reds worked out a trade with the Chicago Cubs for Hamilton after the Cubs selected him from Tampa Bay in the Rule 5 Draft.

"It was a prearranged deal," Krivsky said. "We did a lot of homework. We talked to ownership. Hopefully, this will work out."

Hamilton, 25, had spent two years on suspension as the result of drug problems.

He was the No. 1 pick in the 1999 draft and signed for $3.95 million. He was suspended in February 2004 for violating baseball's drug policy.

The outfielder didn't play from July 2002 until June this year because of injuries and unspecified personal issues.

He was cleared to play June 30 of this year and played at Single-A Hudson Valley.

Under the rules of the Rule 5 Draft, the Reds must keep Hamilton on the roster or offer him back to Tampa Bay for half the $50,000 fee it cost to select him.

"I'm excited," Hamilton said. "I wasn't expecting this after all I've been through the last two years. I don't think (Tampa Bay) thought anyone would take the chance on me."

Hamilton began having drug problems after being injured in a car accident in 2002. He is drug tested three times a week.

"No one ever said he was a bad kid," Krivksy said. "Obviously, he has his problems."

Hamilton is confident he can return to form on the field.

"Baseball has never been the problem," he said. "I know I have the ability. I'm excited. I know I'll do well."

Krivksy said Hamilton has been cleared by Major League Baseball to participate.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound outfielder was suspended March 19, 2004. He was allowed to return to baseball, but not play, this spring. He was cleared to play in June. But his season was cut short by knee surgery.

"I'm a drug addict," Hamilton told USA Today in March. "It's not terminal, but there is no cure. It's hell on earth. It's a constant struggle. And it's going to be like that for the rest of my life."

He told the paper he was addicted to crack.

"It got so bad at the end that I just started smoking (crack). I did it so much it was like smoking cigarettes," Hamilton said.

"I remember one time I woke up in a trailer with about five or six total strangers. It must have been 98 degrees in there. There was no air conditioning. Nothing. My truck was gone. I had no money. But I didn't care. I was just looking for that next high."

fire away animalman, i have no defense for this.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
steve howe!

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
except steve howe produced in the majors

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Hamilton is infamous for his drug problems; a cautionary tale amongst baseball talent advisors. I can't help but root for him(everyone deserves a second chance), but Josh did not hit well at the very lowest level of professional American baseball last year, so his chances of contributing much of anything next year at the highest level are remote.

Still, the trade was just for some cash and a roster spot. Not exactly a savvy veteran move...but hardly a catastrophe. It's unlikely to bear fruit(now or in the longrun), but at least they didn't give up anything much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard