Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55168 2003-12-13 4:08 AM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
A couple of weeks ago, I go to the local bar for the weekly tradition of karaoke night. Wasn't expecting much except to sing and get plastered. Imagine my surprise when I run into an old flame (a anachronistic term, I know, but I honestly don't know what else to call her) who I hadn't seen for a couple of years. Anyway, we wound up spending the whole evening together (she's a great singer, btw). She's just moved back to the area, and she's getting a divorce from her husband, so she's single, and apparently she's interested in me (several objective third parties more attuned to the ways of women have informed me of such). Now, I don't put much stock in miracles, but there's a small part or me that wants to believe that God (or Yahweh, Buddha, Allah, or Uncle Pete) has decided to look down on me and bless me with a second chance at The Girl Who Got Away. I'm not getting my hopes up too high (hell, it didn't work out ideally first time around), but we're both different people now, and it is the time of your for miracles, isn't it?

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Ya can't always get whatcha want...
Ya can't always get whatcha want...
And if you try sometime you find...
You get what you need!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Right....

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I think Mr. Spock said that.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Okay, does anyone have anything useful or supportive they'd like to add?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Go for it. No pain no gain.

Do you have anything to lose?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Go for it. If you don't, you'll spend your life regretting it.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Well, I'm going for it. My friends are having a Christmas party next week, and I'm gonna invite her. God willing, she'll say yes. Pray for Snarf!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
As someone in a similar position, I hope it works out. I'm rootin' for ya, man!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by King Snarf:
Okay, does anyone have anything useful or supportive they'd like to add?

Perhaps some useful info, but nothing supportive...

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Well, I'm going for it. My friends are having a Christmas party next week, and I'm gonna invite her. God willing, she'll say yes. Pray for Snarf!

Dude, don't invite her if she knows the people who are throwin' or just goin' to the party. Get them to invite her! This way when you show up, you'll be her hi-light of the evening, guaranteed! Mood is everything y'know...

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Actually, my friends only just met her when she showed up at karaoke a few weeks ago, so she doesnt know my crew all that well. Good idea, though.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Alright, I sent her the invite via email (she just moved in to a new place and doesnt have the phone hooked up yet), so I've got my fingers crossed.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
That ain't chur finger, sonny jim.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quiet you!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
she has email access, but no phone? she on dsl? (Shut it, TK! [nyah hah] )

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I think she checks email at work.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I'd like to change my stance on a few things...

Life sucks! Hope is for suckers! There's no such thing as miracles! Bah fucking humbug! [AAAHHHH!!!]

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I'm guessing it didn't work out. . . [gulp!]

Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
quote:

Life sucks! Hope is for suckers! There's no such thing as miracles! Bah fucking humbug! [AAAHHHH!!!]

Amen Snarf. Life sucks, I hate this fucking season and I still don't understand anyone, myself included. Bah fucking Humbug. It is times like this I am glad I am pagan and that this season is not special for me otherwise I'd be completly depressed.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I thought pagans celebrated Solstice night and had heathen orgies? (Please let their be orgies... :) )

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Sorry, Snarf. I was gonna warn you against an e-mail invite, but I didn't get here soon enough. My sincerest apologies and condolences.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
In all fairness, I didn't get a no; I just didn't get any answer period. I've given up on hearing back from her, and if by some miracle I do see her, I'm going to give her a piece of my mind.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Well, at this point, I don't think that'd be a good thing. Maybe she doesn't check her e-mail at work. Or maybe you just got fed a really big line. In either case, at least wait until you're sure it's the latter before you go blowing any and all chances you may have with her...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Stareena:
quote:

Amen Snarf. Life sucks, I hate this fucking season and I still don't understand anyone, myself included. Bah fucking Humbug. It is times like this I am glad I am pagan and that this season is not special for me otherwise I'd be completly depressed.
Winter Solstice? Candlemas? This time of year is special for many pagans. [izzat so?]

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Hey! We;re straying away from the topic, which is me. Me! Mememe!

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Quote:

A couple of weeks ago, I go to the local bar for the weekly tradition of karaoke night. Wasn't expecting much except to sing and get plastered. Imagine my surprise when I run into an old flame (a anachronistic term, I know, but I honestly don't know what else to call her) who I hadn't seen for a couple of years. Anyway, we wound up spending the whole evening together (she's a great singer, btw). She's just moved back to the area, and she's getting a divorce from her husband, so she's single, and apparently she's interested in me (several objective third parties more attuned to the ways of women have informed me of such). Now, I don't put much stock in miracles, but there's a small part or me that wants to believe that God (or Yahweh, Buddha, Allah, or Uncle Pete) has decided to look down on me and bless me with a second chance at The Girl Who Got Away. I'm not getting my hopes up too high (hell, it didn't work out ideally first time around), but we're both different people now, and it is the time of your for miracles, isn't it?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Well, after weeks of not hearing from her, I basically said to myself, "Self, to hell with her! And if by chance you should see her again, well, you don't care!"

So guess who shows up at karaoke tonight.

She said that a couple of days after I saw her last, she had to go to New York because her soon-to-be-ex-husband is apparrently dicking her over on the child support. I don't know if I believe her or not. I want to, and I understand what with her son, a job, and a pending divorce that I'm certainly not a top priority, but FUCK! In a month, she couldn't check e-mail or give me a call?!?

She's said she'd call me today, and if she does, then I'm just gonna unload, tell her how I feel about her, and find out how she feels about me.

Is it me? Am I over-thinking things?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Snarf, I wish I'd seen this topic sooner.

My experience is, if it didn't work before, then the likelihood is it won't work now. People do change sometimes, but not often.
And if she didn't appreciate how you felt about her before, then you're actually better off without her. And someone better will drift into your life, and make you feel complete, instead of like an unappreciated guy who's being jerked around.

I'm between relationships right now myself.
( I actually ended my last relationship in February. She was very beautiful, but increasingly smothering, jealous, and demanding of my time. Actually, neither of us were happy, and I was going to take her out to dinner for Valentine's Day, and treat her really nice, and then politely end it as friends a few days after the fact. But a few days before Valentines Day, she showed up at my door with all the stuff I'd loaned her, and she broke it off before I had a chance to. So although she broke up with me, I was actually relieved, it saved me the trouble. Although it was a pretty lonely Valentines Day. It would have been better to end it on a more positive note, with a last pleasant Valentine's Day together. )

I've gone out on a few dates over the last few months, but no real sparks with any of the new women in my life.

But a great lesson I've learned over the years is: there's one thing that's worse than being alone, and that's being with the wrong woman.

Trust me when I say that whatever you feel for this girl, she's fool's gold. No matter how you feel about her, she doesn't appreciate you, and she'd ultimately make you miserable.
So hold out for a girl who appreciates you. She's out there, just keep smiling, have fun meanwhile, and be yourself. And when you least expect it, you'll meet the woman you've been waiting for.

If she ever does call you up, play it cool, be friendly and go out with her, give her a chance. But again, don't put too much expectation into it working out for the long term.
Just enjoy going out with her for one night, if it comes to that, and take it one day at a time.
And again, if it doesn't work out, it's for the best, and there's better waiting for you down the road. Don't beat yourself up over what might have been, just keep looking, keep approaching women, and you'll find someone you really click with. Whether it's her or someone else.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Thanks for the input, Dave. What you say makes sense, but I've waited so long for some kind of meanigful relationship, and I did really care about her, that now that she's back in my life, it's hard not to think of this as God's way of saying, "Here you go, you poor, dumb bastard."

It would be interesting to hear what some of the females here think of my predicament.

All hail King Snarf!

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Whatever you do don't ask me.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Wonder Boy speaks of wisdom beyond his post count...

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Y'know, I've come to realize that she'll never care about me the way I care about her. That's because I've realized that no woman is ever going to care about me PERIOD! I am going to fucking die alone! I can accept that I'll never be happy, but I am sick and fucking tired of feeling sad and dejected all the fucking time. I just want to be fucking numb. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Okay, done ranting.

All hail King Snarf!

Evil twin
1500+ posts
Evil twin
1500+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
I am sick and fucking tired of feeling sad and dejected all the fucking time.

Then stop feeling that way. Trust me on this. Just stop feeling sorry for yourself. Can't get a woman? Focus on something else in your life (school, work, masterbation techniques, etc.)

The only person that can make you sad and dejected all the time is you. I realized that, and so far I have been pretty successful being a hell of a lot more cheerful. Sure, I'm still single, but I realize that a lot of that is due to my own actions, so hopefully I can correct that.

A big thing to note is this: it's two different things to be in love with somebody and in love at somebody. If nothing else, it's pretty damn easy to reciprocate your feelings towards yourself, and I'm not even talking about killing kittens here.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know now the things I didn't know then.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Bibbo, your wisdom scares and confuses me -- what of us romantics who LIKE pining in our hearts, even if not out loud?

Life without drama is bad television...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
King Snarf said:
Y'know, I've come to realize that she'll never care about me the way I care about her. That's because I've realized that no woman is ever going to care about me PERIOD! I am going to fucking die alone! I can accept that I'll never be happy, but I am sick and fucking tired of feeling sad and dejected all the fucking time. I just want to be fucking numb. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Okay, done ranting.

Snarf, I was 27 when I had my first meaningful relationship (Maria) , where I loved her and she appreciated me and loved me back, and just totally rocked my world. At least in the moment.

But she'd come from Spain for a year, and had to go back. She kissed me, got on a plane, and went back to Spain. And after she left, she called me every day for a few minutes, from Spain, just to hear my voice, and constantly told me how much she missed me.

I was finishing school, and entertained the possibility that this might be the end of our relationship, that in a few months or a year she might meet someone else. But I really believed that she loved me, and when I finished school, she'd either come back or I'd go to Spain to marry her. We'd talked about marriage.

About three weeks after the day she left for Spain, I was at a night club for a birthday party for my friend Enri (also from Spain, the girl who introduced me to Maria), and two of her friends had just arrived from Spain. The first thing they told me, very gently and with great respect for my obvious feelings, was that Maria was already engaged to her former boyfriend of three years before we met, and they were due to be married in 6 months (on October 26, 1991).
I was devastated that she not only met someone else, but that she replaced me so quickly with someone else.

I have never been more devastated. She talked to me on the phone every day from Spain, and I also called her many of those times, to talk more and share the cost. We spoke every day, and yet she had so little regard for my feelings that she never bothered to break the news to me gently of her engagement to another guy, or to explain. I called her immediately when I got home. Although that call was rather unsatisfying, I didn't get any explanation, and it was clear she just wanted to get the call over with.

For years since, I've had this image in my head that she kissed me and got on the plane, she arrived in Madrid, and Nico (her fiance/husband) was there to pick her up, gave her a big kiss, proposed on the spot, and they were in bed together that night. And I was instantly forgotten.

I loved her so much that I rationalized her marrying another guy, incredible as that seems. That she just couldn't face me with it, that she was pressured into it by her family (their two families are close, and this guy's a very successful lawyer). I observed that she never made decisions by herself, that she needed someone to make decisions for her, and this was a case of that.
But I felt like she really loved me, and that sooner or later she'd realize she married the wrong guy, and she'd come back to me. This guy, as she described him to me during the time we dated, was very controlling, and she'd caught him cheating on her multiple times. She'd said while we were together that if she went back to Spain, that she'd never get back together with him.

And she encouraged this fantasy of mine, of us getting back together.

She called me at least once a month for two years, she encouraged me to write her and send her things she could remember me by. Only she asked me to send any letters and pictures to her parents' address. I really feel, in retrospect, like she was keeping me open as a second option, if the marriage didn't work out.

And it took two years, but I finally snapped out of my love-lorn trance.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that even if she left the other guy, despite how much she might love me, I didn't want to be anyone's second choice.

And I'd never trust her the same way as I did before she left for Spain.

And I finally broke my self-programming, and realized she was toying with my emotions, and had for two years made it difficult for me to move on, regarding her as my girlfriend-in-exile. That she'd encouraged me to feel this way, to believe she still loved me, and it was just a matter of time till she left him and we were back together.

About the same time, she told me she was pregnant, and that just added to the snowball effect of my realization. Because in addition to the other baggage, it was clear that even if she divorced this other guy, it would never be just me and her. Through their shared child, this other guy would forever be in the picture.

And I did one of the hardest things I've ever done. The next time she called, I said:
"Look, you're married now, and I don't think you should call me anymore."
Very nonchalantly, she said "Okay..." Click.
She hung up the phone. And that was the last I ever spoke to her. That was April 1993.

And to be honest, not a day has gone by in the last 11 years that I haven't thought of her. But it's a memory of how great it was, while we were together and happy. With the slight sadness that it was later tainted by her complete lack of regard for me.

But again, the truth is, for her to behave as she did, I lost nothing. She never was the person I thought she was, and she would have ultimately made me unhappy.
In retrospect, I saw a lot of things I didn't allow myself to see before, that during our relationship, even in the good times, she was not a partner, she was a spoiled girl who wanted to be provided for, without giving back.
She was an object to be catered to, and ultimately, she didn't care about me, she just sold herself to the highest bidder.

I have tremendous respect for women. But there are times when it's healthy to snap out of your love-clouded illusions, stop trying so hard to see her point of view, and see a parasitic coldhearted bitch for what she truly is.

I've met a number of women since who have re-affirmed my faith in women. But man, regarding Maria, talk about misguided loyalties...

But there's better ones out there. I learned a valuable lesson, that I want a woman who's a partner, not a material girl who only cares about being provided for. And with a girl like that, as soon as times get rough, she'll be gone !

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I'm sorry you went throught that Wonder Boy. Kind of sounds a little similar to what I went through with my ex-boyfriend.

My first, and only, boy-friend was when I was 26. We met 10 moths shy of his divorce being finalized for a year. Things went great, we talked marriage almost from the start, we loved each other, etc. But then one day, out of the blue, he broke up with me. No warning, nothing. In fact, just an hour or so before that, we were working on a premarital counceling work book together. I was severly depressed an upset for months. It wasn't until a year after the break-up that I finally started to really be my normal self again. I went out on "a test date" as my friend and I called it and it felt good. Now granted, that was the last date I went on and that was back in 2000, but I've always been like this. Prior to my ex, I only went out on 4 dates, over the course of 8 years with 4 different guys.

There's nothing wrong with being alone. I'll admit, in my early 20s I was at a point in my life that I wanted to go out on dates, have a boyfriend and so a big thing with me when I finally did have a boyfriend was that I wasn't sure I was any good at being in a relationship, never having been in one before. What I found is that I can make it in a relationship, even due to my lack of experience. The relationship had it not ended when it did, would have ultimatly ended some how. Whether by either of us before vows were exchanged, or in divorce. Looking back at it, even a year after the fact, there were red lights during the relationship, that I ignored, didn't bother to acknowledge. I thought he was the one, but now I know better. I grew so much after that relationship in so many ways.

But listen to Wonder Boy, he said it bed.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Amen, brother! Preach On! I've got a redhead I'm in the same basic situation with. Thankfully, I haven't gone back to drinking yet... and I wouldn't advise drinking to get over bitches, neither. That's how I became a borderline alcoholic!

Quote:

Bibbo said:
Then stop feeling that way. Trust me on this. Just stop feeling sorry for yourself. Can't get a woman? Focus on something else in your life (school, work, masterbation techniques, etc.)

The only person that can make you sad and dejected all the time is you. I realized that, and so far I have been pretty successful being a hell of a lot more cheerful. Sure, I'm still single, but I realize that a lot of that is due to my own actions, so hopefully I can correct that.

A big thing to note is this: it's two different things to be in love with somebody and in love at somebody. If nothing else, it's pretty damn easy to reciprocate your feelings towards yourself, and I'm not even talking about killing kittens here.

I must also agree with the redheaded stepchild. The happiest time in my life in over a year and a half has been the past month... in the past month I recorded an album with my bass player, and I've spent the bulk of my free time creating the album artwork, working on the website, printing up copies of that sumbitch to give out, and writing lyrics for the next album.

Oddly enough, that loathing (self or otherwise) and hatred and misogyny I've built up towards all the stupid, stupid whores I've dealt with makes for good lyrics. I haven't written this well in years. And goddamned if it doesn't help work out all that hatred!

Distractions help. Find some.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

Happy 30th birthday snarf!

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Bringer of Change
400+ posts
Bringer of Change
400+ posts

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard