15000+ posts
Why don't you get off his leg Jim!

what are we talking about?

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
The crying thing was employed when you mentioned about Tressel's powerhouse Bucks beating up on Weis' ragtag ND team in the Fiesta Bowl.

Weiss inherited a poor team. Tressel had all his own recruits, his own schemes, his own staff. In my opinion, Weiss had the more remarkable season, especially since ND was down by only one touchdown with 2 minutes left. It was a good, close game(although the yardage difference may have indicated otherwise). Probably my second favorite bowl game that year.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Notre Dame and Oklahoma both lost today, though in very different fashion. Chad Henne's statline wasn't overly impressive against ND, but the Michigan offense looked very impressive. He certainly looked a lot better than Quinn, both with his amstrength and poise in the pocket.

A lot of top 25 teams going head to head this week(14, to be exact).

Interesting development in Louisville, as Brian Brohm left the game with a hand injury. His replacement did well, but for a team that had a very good shot at running the table and competing for a shot at the national championship, losing both Michael Bush and Brian Brohm would be, obviously, devestating.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
OK, pardon me, but I'm going to gloat a little.

Anointed Genius Coach Charlie Weis and his Fighting Irish suffered a humiliating defeat yesterday, at home, in Weis' second season on campus.

Jim Tressel's Buckeyes did not lose a game in Tress's second season in Columbus. And Jim inherited a team that was 6-6 in 1999 and 8-4 in 2000. Furthermore, Tress's first Buckeyes team finished 7-5. And Tress inherited Craig Krenzel, a good guy, a smart guy, but one whom no one would mistake for Brady Quinn. So don't say "Wait, Tress had great players and Weis has shit scrubs to work with."

Admittedly, the current season isn't over yet, but it will take a lot of work for Weis' Irish to rebound into title contention and it will remain true that Tress and the Buckeyes won a national championship in Tress's second year. It's far more likely that Weis won't be able to say the same thing about his second year at South Bend that Tressel can say about his second year in Columbus.

We all wear a green carnation.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Man, Notre Dame got manhandled.

Go Bucks....

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
OK, pardon me, but I'm going to gloat a little.

Anointed Genius Coach Charlie Weis and his Fighting Irish suffered a humiliating defeat yesterday, at home, in Weis' second season on campus.

Jim Tressel's Buckeyes did not lose a game in Tress's second season in Columbus. And Jim inherited a team that was 6-6 in 1999 and 8-4 in 2000. Furthermore, Tress's first Buckeyes team finished 7-5. And Tress inherited Craig Krenzel, a good guy, a smart guy, but one whom no one would mistake for Brady Quinn. So don't say "Wait, Tress had great players and Weis has shit scrubs to work with."

Admittedly, the current season isn't over yet, but it will take a lot of work for Weis' Irish to rebound into title contention and it will remain true that Tress and the Buckeyes won a national championship in Tress's second year. It's far more likely that Weis won't be able to say the same thing about his second year at South Bend that Tressel can say about his second year in Columbus.

I didn't, nor would I, describe Tressel or Weiss's players like that(although, I've never thought Brady Quinn was terrific; I think he's a system quarterback).

I've already said this several times, but you don't seem to quite get it, so I'll say it once more. I never argued who was the better coach, nor did I argue who had the better chance at a national championship this year. In both cases, I said Tressel. The actual debate was over which looked better on a resume, three Super Bowl rings(yes, Jim, as an assistant), or a national championship and a couple of division II titles.

Now, the season is hardly over for Notre Dame. Even if they lose to USC at the end of the year, a 10-2 record will get them a BCS bowl. If they run the table and beat USC, they'll have a pretty good shot at the national championship game.

The SEC teams tend to beat up on each other, so although they're by far the best conference in college football, it seems unlikely they'll produce an undefeated. The Big 12 is a sad shell of what it used to be, and all of their big teams have lost already(Texas, Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU). The ACC is similarly poor.

Which means, hypothetically, if Ohio State goes undefeated, and Notre Dame wins the rest of the way(meaning USC will have lost), there will only be two teams that would realistically stand in their way. One of the two Big East giants of Louisville and West Virginia, and TCU, who already won their biggest challenge of the year and look to have a fairly clear path towards perfection. Alex Smith's undefeated Utah team kind of proved that nobody's going to give the Mountain West Conference much respect in National Championship consideration, so depending on what happens in the Big East, Notre Dame still has a realistic shot at the big game, despite their implosion against Michigan.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The actual debate was over which looked better on a resume, three Super Bowl rings(yes, Jim, as an assistant), or a national championship and a couple of division II titles.

If this truly is the crux of our argument, I will summarize my opinion as this:

If you're hiring for head coaching in college, Tress's resume looks better than Weis'. Jim has won at the college level and won titles at every level of college at which he has worked (with the exception of his couple of seasons as an assistant on Earl Bruce's Ohio State staff in the mid80s). There are examples of former NFL assistants and coaches who have not succeeded at the college game.

If you're hiring for NFL head coach, Weis' resume probably looks better. There are plenty of former college coaches who failed in the NFL.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
so depending on what happens in the Big East, Notre Dame still has a realistic shot at the big game, despite their implosion against Michigan.

Ohio State has to win out irrespective of what anybody else does to play in Glendale, AZ in January.

Notre Dame has to win out and hope for some others to lose along the way.

Notice here I am not asserting that OSU will win out. I think they can, but I'm not making any foolish predictions.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Animalman, re:

You said

Quote:

I didn't, nor would I, describe Tressel or Weiss's players like that

Yet you said

Quote:

Tressel, with the powerhouse team he built, vs. Weiss, with the laughing stock he inherited...Weiss inherited a poor team. Tressel had all his own recruits, his own schemes, his own staff

What's up with this, dude? OK, I called them "shitty scrubs" and you called themn a "laughingstock."

When Tress's Buckeyes won it all in '02, his team was still largely John Cooper's.

Quote:

Still, if you went around and asked every college coach in America whose list of accomplishments they'd rather have, I bet the significant majority would take Charlie's.

I think this is complete baloney. You ask Bob Stoops if he'd rather have his ring as a head coach or Charlie's 3 as Bill Bellichick's assistant???? How about Lloyd Carr? You think he'd rather be Bill's assistant than the head guy whose team won it all in college? How about Joe Pa? Think he'd give up his 2 titles to call plays for Bill Bellichick?

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
What's up with this, dude? OK, I called them "shitty scrubs" and you called themn a "laughingstock."

Yes, when Weiss stepped in, Notre Dame was in shambles. They were a 6-6 team, under major scrutiny after the firing of Ty Willingham, and with very little going for them as a program.

That doesn't mean their players were all "shitty scrubs". Quinn, Stovall, Walker and Samardzija were all there. There was some talent. Not an enormous amount(otherwise, they would probably have won more), and certainly less of it than Tressel had time to acquire for himself, but some.

It was up to Weiss to change the culture of losing that permeated a once proud university, and get his players to buy into his new schemes and his new philosophy. To that end, he was successful, and surprisngly soon. I doubt many people expected Notre Dame to even be in a BCS bowl game, let alone close to winning one against a team the caliber of Ohio State.

Quote:

I think this is complete baloney. You ask Bob Stoops if he'd rather have his ring as a head coach or Charlie's 3 as Bill Bellichick's assistant???? How about Lloyd Carr? You think he'd rather be Bill's assistant than the head guy whose team won it all in college? How about Joe Pa? Think he'd give up his 2 titles to call plays for Bill Bellichick?

I didn't say the coaches would take Weiss's accomplishments over their own. Obviously, Stoops, and Joe Pa are proud of what they've done at that level, as they well should be. I'm saying that I think, objectively, a coach would take three Super Bowl rings over a national title trophy and a few division two titles.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
I'm saying that I think, objectively, a coach would take three Super Bowl rings over a national title trophy and a few division two titles.

You can't equate the role the coaches had in those championships, which is what you're doing.

Yes, a coach very likely would say he'd rather be Bill Bellichick and have his rings than be Jim Tressel and have his. Or he'd say I'd rather have Charlie Weis' rings than have Mark Dantonio's (Mark was defensive coordinator on the Buckeye's 2002 title team).

But Charlie's rings did not come as head coach. Does that matter? Yeah, I think it does since Charlie quit his assistant coach's job in the NFL to be head coach at ND. If he was satisfied that he was at the pinnacle as an assitant, he would have stayed there.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Wow. Rutgers.

Rutgers.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Rutgers has arrived.

The program that once set the standard for college football futility, jumped into the national title picture Thursday night with a 28-25 victory over No. 3 Louisville.

On his second chance, Jeremy Ito kicked a 28-yard tiebreaking field goal with 13 seconds left and the second consecutive primetime showdown between Big East unbeatens went to Rutgers (9-0, 4-0).

Just a week ago, it was Louisville (8-1, 3-1) celebrating the biggest win in school history, a 44-34 victory over West Virginia that vaulted the Cardinals into the heart of the national championship race.

This time it was Rutgers' turn to party.

The Scarlet Knights shut out the high-scoring Cardinals in the second half, erased an 18-point deficit and got the ball with 5:28 left in the fourth quarter at their own 9.

Brian Leonard went 26 yards with a pass in the flats to get Rutgers into Louisville territory and Ray Rice broke a 20-yard run to get into field-goal range. Ito missed a 33-yarder with 18 seconds left but Louisville was offside and Ito got another shot -- and it was perfect.

The final play, appropriately, was a sack by a Rutgers' defense that proved itself as one of the best in the country.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
go bears!

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
go bears!

Ooooh.....that one's gotta hurt.

Table is set for #1 and #2 to meet next week. Ohio State vs. Michigan in Columbus.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
The CLOW Master!!!
500+ posts
The CLOW Master!!!
500+ posts
California, Auburn and Texas got knocked off yesterday and Florida survived a scare.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo Forum- Come for the games...stay for TEH DRAMA!!!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
go bears!

Ooooh.....that one's gotta hurt.

Table is set for #1 and #2 to meet next week. Ohio State vs. Michigan in Columbus.

It's been set for awhile now.

I expect this city to be deluged with media and media-types.

Why I like the Buckeyes to win...

1. It's in Columbus.
2. Jim Tressel coaches better than just about anyone in big games. All Michigan games are big games. He's 4-1 vs. Michigan. The Buckeyes are 2-0 in "big games" this year (both night games, at Texas and at Iowa).
3. Troy Smith has played his best games versus the Maize and Blue.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
A little higher score than I would have thought, but the Buckeyes again move past Michigan and this time, on to the National Championship Game in Glendale, AZ, Jan. 8.

Lloyd Carr is officially Michigan's John Cooper. And Jim Tressel is, again, not outcoached in a big game.

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I don't.

Tressel won them as HEAD coach.

...yeah, against powerhouses like McNeese State! Weiss coached a state championship high school team. There's his head coach ring!

Seriously, though, Charlie Weiss has succeeded at the highest level of football, on the biggest stage in American sports. And he turned Notre Dame arround immediately. I think his coaching resume is better at this point. I think recruits will think so, too.

Really? What's Weis' record head to head against Tressel? Yeah. Thanks for playing. Charlie succeeded in the NFL as somebody's assistant.

And you think recruits didn't see last night's OSU win over Texas?

Speaking of that little game last night...

Where is the big Texas supporter who was wagging his fucking finger in my face last year on the RKMBs? Huh?? Where the fuck is this loser now? Oh, he was good to say in the offeason, "Oh yeah, the Bucks will not prevail in Austin."

He can suck my cock right now, the goddamn fool.

lookit that! hold on to some anger much? texas had a damn good season being led by a freshman qb. considering that was his what? second start and the only other loss was when he was hurt. look for a mean texzas team for a few years to come. colt mc coy is awesome. that said texas lost, ou won.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
At the time McCoy got hurt against KState, he had more yards, TD's, a better completion percentage and only one more interception than Troy Smith. I don't think McCoy is Vince Young or anything, but it should tell you something.

If Troy Smith wins the Heisman, he'll be the 13th quarterback in the last 35 years to win the award, and barring a historic performance in the national championship game, he'll join Eric Crouch as the only two QB's during that span not to throw for at least 3,000 yards in any season in their college career. Of course, Crouch was essentially a running back who took his handoffs from the center, so basically, Troy Smith will be the least productive Heisman QB in the modern era of college football.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

big_pimp_tim said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I don't.

Tressel won them as HEAD coach.

...yeah, against powerhouses like McNeese State! Weiss coached a state championship high school team. There's his head coach ring!

Seriously, though, Charlie Weiss has succeeded at the highest level of football, on the biggest stage in American sports. And he turned Notre Dame arround immediately. I think his coaching resume is better at this point. I think recruits will think so, too.

Really? What's Weis' record head to head against Tressel? Yeah. Thanks for playing. Charlie succeeded in the NFL as somebody's assistant.

And you think recruits didn't see last night's OSU win over Texas?

Speaking of that little game last night...

Where is the big Texas supporter who was wagging his fucking finger in my face last year on the RKMBs? Huh?? Where the fuck is this loser now? Oh, he was good to say in the offeason, "Oh yeah, the Bucks will not prevail in Austin."

He can suck my cock right now, the goddamn fool.

lookit that! hold on to some anger much? texas had a damn good season being led by a freshman qb. considering that was his what? second start and the only other loss was when he was hurt. look for a mean texzas team for a few years to come. colt mc coy is awesome. that said texas lost, ou won.

The point is that you ran at the mouth so damned sure Texas would beat Ohio State *regardless* of UT's frosh QB.

And it wasn't anger I was holding on to, it's just that I remember what an ass you made of yourself with your foolish prediction. On the DCMB, some idiot did the same kind of thing regarding the OSU-Michigan game, so goddamned sure his Wolverines would prevail.

Me, I kept my mouth shut and the let the game be played on the field.

I suggest in the future you take that advice.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
On the DCMB, some idiot did the same kind of thing regarding the OSU-Michigan game, so goddamned sure his Wolverines would prevail.

Me, I kept my mouth shut and the let the game be played on the field.

Oh?

Quote:

I'll tout the Buckeyes.
Toughest games are at Texas and at Iowa, though I think the Buckeyes win both and run the table, topping it off with a demolition of Michigan at the Horseshoe, after which Lloyd Carr will be fired with a 1-5 record against Tressel's Buckeyes.

The three point demolition/massacre/manhandling doesn't seem to have gotten Carr fired yet, but I'll keep a lookout for that!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Eh, don't confuse the issue.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
You were brow-beating Tim for talking up his team before the game was played, when you did the same thing, yourself.

You've been the Buckeyes' biggest cheerleader here for years...don't try and convince us you're the silent type now. Stay the course, like Dubya.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Oooh....

...score for Animalman!

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
A that 70's show reference?

...really?

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Best image I could find that fit the moment. Next time I'll just post a nude of Teri Polo if you prefer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard