Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Those poor Muslims! How will they ever get to commit acts of terror if we keep thwarting them!?

"Airport profiling "???

It was not boy scouts, nor was it little old ladies, nor was it
college students who crashed the planes that day.

It was Muslim men.

It's like they're saying to us, " We want to destroy you all, why do you hurt us by resisting? "

(And yes, this graemlin is VERY appropriate!)

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Those poor Muslims! How will they ever get to commit acts of terror if we keep thwarting them!?

"Airport profiling "???

It was Muslim men.

It's like they're saying to us, " We want to destroy you all, why do you hurt us by resisting? "

So does that mean that any time someone (or even many someones) from a certain race/ethnic group/religion/etc. commits a crime or act of terrorism, we should assume that every single member of that same race/ethnic group/religion/etc. wants to do the same?

That kind of paranoia and racism (and the convenience of generalizing) has led to and enabled the destruction of millions of people over time - including the same acts of terrorism that we need to prevent and protect ourselves from.

I believe in security also, but I believe in achieving that goal by finding a way of getting the people who are actually the bad guys instead of condemming innocent people who we only think are the bad guys only because of what God they pray to or what color their skin is, or any other example you can think of.

Beware the advice of successful people. They do not seek company.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

"Airport profiling "???

It was Muslim men.

So does that mean that any time someone (or even many someones) from a certain race/ethnic group/religion/etc. commits a crime or act of terrorism, we should assume that every single member of that same race/ethnic group/religion/etc. wants to do the same?

No, but from what I read about the incident, the paranoia was appropriate at the time...

Quote:

That kind of paranoia and racism (and the convenience of generalizing) has led to and enabled the destruction of millions of people over time - including the same acts of terrorism that we need to prevent and protect ourselves from.

I believe in security also, but I believe in achieving that goal by finding a way of getting the people who are actually the bad guys instead of condemming innocent people who we only think are the bad guys only because of what God they pray to or what color their skin is, or any other example you can think of.

life." - Tuvok.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

"Airport profiling "???

It was Muslim men.

No, but from what I read about the incident, the paranoia was appropriate at the time...

I wasn't talking about the incident, and you didn't seem to be either. Your post sounded like a generic "all Muslims are/should be suspected to be terrorists," and that's what I'm responding to.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
No, I was not saying all muslims are terrorists.

I was saying, however, that, in an airport, if muslim men are behaving in a manner that is suspicious, it is better to be safe than sorry.

life." - Tuvok.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
No, I was not saying all muslims are terrorists.

I was saying, however, that, in an airport, if muslim men are behaving in a manner that is suspicious, it is better to be safe than sorry.

That I agree with. But it didn't seem to be the point you were making.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Excuse my sarcasm, please, from that initial post... I do get carried away when I discuss terrorism and topics related to it.

life." - Tuvok.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
I am slowly warming up to the idea that Muslims as a group are in fact the enemy, and we are at war here. It has a lot to do with an article I read over this week (that led to some subsequent research and reading). It was regarding the concessions Muslims are granted when they are in other countries, and what they in turn are willing to concede. It discussed at length the fact that the pope (an office I hold no respect for, but one that does hold a measure of importance on the world stage) was forced to pray in a prostrated stance in a formerly Christian church on his visit. Not a seemingly big deal...but yet enormous in the same breath. Arguably the most influential man on earth is forced to prostrate to these people.

I think if one really looks at Muslim interaction with the world as a whole...there is definately a war brewing (it was always smoldering). Perhaps old Georgie boy was right to begin b y nipping it in the bud before there are more dire consequences down the road. Dunno. I'll need to look into the topic more before forming a definate opinion either way. But I am thinking my 'respect everyone' stance is not necessarily in order here...

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Yeah, I hear you, Klint, but not all Muslims are terrorists...

But then, how do we know for sure which Muslims are friendly, and which ones want us all dead?

It gets very tricky.

life." - Tuvok.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Yeah, I hear you, Klint, but not all Muslims are terrorists...

But then, how do we know for sure which Muslims are friendly, and which ones want us all dead?

It gets very tricky.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, no. But the vast majority are steeped in a culture that breeds the terrorists. It's really no different than the German citizens that refused to oppose Hitler....were they any better? Were they any less our enemy? When a culture contains loopholes wherein acts of random genocide and violence can be written off as religious 'jihad', and the populace makes a point of markedly cutting itself off from integration via distinct clothing offensive to the casual observer...Where does one draw the line? Why are we supposed to tollerate their religious needs...but the pope must pray as a lesser man when on thier soil - the fucking pope!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Yes... and, Muslims do make me fearful...

Remember what Yoda said to young Annakin Skywalker in Phantom Menace?

" Feel your fear, I can.... Remember this: Fear leads to anger... Anger leads to hate.. Hate leads to tragedy."

life." - Tuvok.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
This isn't the voice of fear here. It's about self respect. Like it or not, I am more or less a part of a Christian society (and I honestly do like it...despite some particular philisophical disagreements, I see more or less eye to eye with the average Christian individual). It is who I am, and part of that society is to turn the other cheek and forgive up to 77 times...

But there is a line. There has to be. And why is it that we as a culture are conceding to them...and accepting the fact that these people grow more and more demanding daily? Why do we allow women to walk our streets in blatently sexist garb (the hijab/nijab...ect) and then turn and accept the fact that the pope is not allowed to pray in certain churches, and forced to prostrate as a lesser man (I forget the word...and the article in the "Globe and Mail" is pay per view online...) when on thier turf? Why must the concessions come at our expense?

It comes down to the fact that if we keep treating them like thier shit doesn't stink...they'll go on believing it.

klinton #758009 2006-12-17 12:35 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
This isn't the voice of fear here. It's about self respect. Like it or not, I am more or less a part of a Christian society (and I honestly do like it...despite some particular philisophical disagreements, I see more or less eye to eye with the average Christian individual). It is who I am, and part of that society is to turn the other cheek and forgive up to 77 times...

But there is a line. There has to be. And why is it that we as a culture are conceding to them...and accepting the fact that these people grow more and more demanding daily? Why do we allow women to walk our streets in blatently sexist garb (the hijab/nijab...ect) and then turn and accept the fact that the pope is not allowed to pray in certain churches, and forced to prostrate as a lesser man (I forget the word...and the article in the "Globe and Mail" is pay per view online...) when on thier turf? Why must the concessions come at our expense?

It comes down to the fact that if we keep treating them like thier shit doesn't stink...they'll go on believing it.

I pretty much agree with klinton. How many concessions do we have to make before these people are satisfied? We've already heard it from their own mouths - they want it all. I'd rather concentrate on peacefully coexisting with people who are actually interested in peacefully coexisting.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Passengers Who Reported 'Suspicious' Imam Activity May Be Sued

Six Muslim imams who were forcibily removed from a US Airways flight last year and are now suing the airline for discrimination may also be suing some passengers who were aboard the flight.

In the lawsuit filed last week, the imams say that unnamed "John Doe" passengers at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport reported that they engaged in "suspicious" behavior — praying in the terminal — before they boarded the plane on Nov. 20.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Suing the passengers who reported them?? That's just fucked up! In this day and age, it is considered normal to report ANY and ALL suspicious behavior on a plane. I hope the passengers launch a counter suit of some nature!

life." - Tuvok.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
People can sue them.....doesn't mean they will win.

PJP #758013 2007-03-24 5:41 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The Washington Times

House Republicans are pushing legislation to protect airline passengers from lawsuits for reporting suspicious behavior that might be linked to a terrorist attack.

Rep. Steve Pearce, New Mexico Republican, introduced the Protecting Americans Fighting Terrorism Act of 2007 on Thursday, a week after a lawsuit was filed by a group of Muslim imams who were taken off a US Airways flight in November.

It is "unconscionable" that those who report suspicious activity could be "terrorized in our own court system in our own country," Mr. Pearce said on the House floor yesterday afternoon.

The lawsuit asserts that the imams were discriminated against by US Airways, the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Airports Commission and "John Doe" passengers to be named later.

A public interest law firm that fights against religious discrimination publicly condemned the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) yesterday for supporting a case it calls "legal terrorism" and said it will file a brief with the court on behalf of the passengers.

"This is a first for us," Kevin Hasson, president of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, wrote in a letter to Nihad Awad, president of CAIR. "We have never opposed someone else's claim for religious discrimination.

"But this tactic of threatening suit against ordinary citizens is so far beyond the tradition of civil rights litigation in the United States that we must oppose it to defend the good name of religious liberty itself," Mr. Hasson said.

Finally! Somebody is going to stand up for the American public!

In other good news, the American Islamic Forum for Democracy has offered to pay for the legal defense of any “John Doe” passengers who end up being sued by CAIR.

A U.S. Islamic group is offering to pay to defend “John Does” being sued by six imams who were removed from a plane in Minneapolis for suspicious behavior.

The suit arose from an incident last November in which passengers and crew reported the men aboard a US Airways plane were disruptive, did not take assigned seats, loudly criticized the war in Iraq and shouted about al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden. They were removed from the flight, interrogated and later released.

They have since filed a lawsuit alleging discrimination by the airline, the airport authority and the “John Does” who reported them, The Washington Times reported Wednesday.

However, M. Zuhdi Jasser, director of American Islamic Forum for Democracy, told the Times his group will raise money for the unnamed peoples’ defense. He said anti-Muslim “backlash will be even greater when Americans see Islamists trying to punish innocent passengers reporting fears.”

The AIFD is an example of a legitimate (if unfortunately rather small) Muslim group that deserves the label “moderate.”

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, it ought to be obvious that the six Imams are suing the passengers because they want all passengers and crew to be too afraid of being sued to report suspicious behavior...

The message here?

Let us do our terrorism, or we will make it so you will be too afraid to stop us!

I hope the judge throws the lawsuits out of court.

life." - Tuvok.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070330/ap_on_re_us/passengers_removed_lawsuit
Quote:

The civil rights lawsuit, filed earlier this month, has so alarmed some lawyers that they are offering to defend the unnamed "John Doe" passengers free of charge. They say it is vital that the flying public be able to report suspicious behavior without fear of being dragged into court.

"When you drive up the road towards the airport, there's a big road sign that says, `Report suspicious behavior,'" said Gerry Nolting, a Minneapolis lawyer. "There's no disclaimer that adds, `But beware if you do that, you might get sued.'"

The Muslim clerics say they were humiliated, and are seeking unspecified damages from the airline, the Minneapolis airport and, potentially, the John Does.

Omar Mohammedi, the New York City attorney for the imams, said the intent is not to go after passengers who raise valid concerns about security. But he suggested some passengers may have acted in bad faith out of prejudice.

"As an attorney, I have seen a lot of abuse by the general public when it comes to members of the community creating stories that do not exist," Mohammedi said.

He denied the imams were talking about Saddam, and said that their seats were assigned and that they requested extenders because their seat belts didn't fit.

Some fear such lawsuits could weaken what has become the first line of defense against terrorism since Sept. 11 — an alert public. At airports and train and subway stations around the country, travelers are routinely warned to watch for unattended bags and suspicious activity and to notify authorities.

Ellen Howe, spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration, which oversees security at all U.S. airports, would not comment specifically on the imams' lawsuit. But she said the TSA counts on passengers to help the agency do its job.

"`See something, say something' is certainly a common mantra in this day and age," Howe said. "We would always remind passengers to be both vigilant and thoughtful."

In reaction to the imams' lawsuit, Congress has taken steps to legally protect passengers who report suspicious activity. Earlier this week, the House approved an amendment to a rail transportation security bill that would make passengers immune from such lawsuits, unless they say something they know is false.

Mohammedi said he has not yet identified any of the complaining passengers. An airport police report listed a passenger and two US Airways employees as complaining about the imams. All three had their names blacked out before the lawsuit was filed by invoking a Minnesota law that allows it, airport spokesman Pat Hogan said.

Nolting said he has been contacted by several potential John Does.

Passenger Pat Snelson, who lives in a Twin Cities suburb, said he and his wife were not among those who reported suspicious behavior. But he said his wife noticed the men praying, and he saw them moving around the cabin while others were boarding.

"These guys were up to no good," Snelson said. "We think the airport people did a real good job in taking care of it."

Bomb-sniffing dogs examined the men and their baggage. FBI agents and other federal law enforcement officers questioned the men for several hours before releasing them.

Billie Vincent, a former director of security for the Federal Aviation Administration, said he is troubled by the mere attempt to identify the passengers who raised concerns.

Airline passengers "are your eyes and your ears," said Vincent, who now owns an aviation security company. "If attorneys can get those names and sue them, you put a chilling effect on the whole system."

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I have not flown in years...but, I will fly again sometime... and you better believe I will report anything suspicious going on if/when I see it.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Besides, why stop at humiliating Muslim clerics anyway?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Lawmake blasts Imans' Attorney

The lawyer representing six imams who are suing an airline and unknown "John Doe" passengers should be removed from his position as a New York City commissioner on human rights, said a state assemblyman.

"When it comes to suspicious or potentially terrorist activity, New Yorkers are encouraged to say something if they see something," said Rory I. Lancman, assemblyman from Queens.

Mr. Lancman has asked Mayor Michael Bloomberg to demand that Mr. Mohammedi to resign his seat.

Stu Loeser, Mr. Bloomberg's spokesman, said Mr. Mohammedi is an unpaid employee on the commission and has the right to choose his clients.

Mr. Bloomberg in 2002 appointed Mr. Mohammedi to the commission, which enforces the city's human rights laws, holds hearings and investigates complaints of racial, religious and ethnic discrimination. It also is empowered to make recommendations to the mayor.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
The Washington Times: House Republicans are pushing legislation to protect airline passengers from lawsuits for reporting suspicious behavior that might be linked to a terrorist attack. Finally! Somebody is going to stand up for the American public!

New York Post:

• Rudy Giuliani yesterday blasted Democrats in Congress for blocking a measure that would protect from civil lawsuits citizen tipsters who report suspected terrorist activity.

Giuliani, the Republican 2008 presidential front-runner, charged it's another example of Democrats being soft on terrorism.

The proposed amendment to anti-terrorism legislation, sponsored by Long Island Republican Rep. Peter King, would provide immunity to citizens who alert authorities to suspicious behavior that turns out to be unfounded.

The measure, known as the "John Doe" amendment, was spurred by a discrimination suit filed by six Muslim clerics in Minnesota who were removed from a plane last November after passengers reported suspicious behavior. They were cleared of wrongdoing.

"This is a terrific idea. And we absolutely need it," Giuliani said

Good for Rudy.

The Democrats' opposition to protecting Americans who see suspicious behavior is particulary poorly timed, given reports that "terrorists [may be] practicing to carry explosive components onto planes, based on four curious seizures at airports since September."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Perhaps hearing from Rudy helped serve as a wake-up call. Key Democrats have changed their mind and now support the anti-terror bill:

• People who tip off authorities to potential terrorists would be shielded from lawsuits under new anti-terrorism legislation that has won agreement from key lawmakers.

The so-called "John Doe bill" would protect the tipsters as long as they acted in good faith and didn't knowingly make false statements.

Democrats agreed to add the provision in negotiations over a House and Senate-passed homeland-security measure, which also implements many 9/11 commission recommendations.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Perhaps hearing from Rudy helped serve as a wake-up call. Key Democrats have changed their mind and now support the anti-terror bill:

• People who tip off authorities to potential terrorists would be shielded from lawsuits under new anti-terrorism legislation that has won agreement from key lawmakers.

The so-called "John Doe bill" would protect the tipsters as long as they acted in good faith and didn't knowingly make false statements.

Democrats agreed to add the provision in negotiations over a House and Senate-passed homeland-security measure, which also implements many 9/11 commission recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Glad to see this finally get passed. ...

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yes the Dems did a good job on the 9/11 bill. This was something that apparently the GOP just couldn't or wouldn't do. Where was Rudy then? (clue-it wasn't with either of his first two wives or kids)

Fair play!
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard