Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

dogbert said:
I'm asking G-man why he's making a big deal out of Obama's middle name.

The first time we spoke here, you told me you appreciated being able to have a rational discussion with me without someone distorting your words or accusing you of stuff.

Are you not going to grant me the same courtesy?

How am I distorting anything by mentioning that his middle name is "Hussein"? If anything, I'm being precise.

Further, other than mentioning it in the title of the thread, I've not really dwelled on the fact his full name is Barack Hussein Obama. Instead, I wrote about his tax policies.

You guys are the ones who keep coming back to the fact his middle name is Hussein.

About his tax policies, I didn't understand (speaking of misunderstandings) your original statement:

Quote:

the G-man said:

Even beyond that, I find Barack Hussein Obama's record on taxes disturbing. Apparently, much like his middle name, he tries to hide his record a tax and spender.

"...a tax and spender"? Do you mean his policies on taxation or his own personal taxes?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

dogbert said:
I'm asking G-man why he's making a big deal out of Obama's middle name.

I'll have to agree with G-man here. It's everyone else who's making a big deal about Obama's name and not him. So I'd have to say that the issues over this that need to be dealt with are your own and not with G-man.

All I'm asking for is a simple explanation. If G-man had just answered my question and laid my suspicions about him to rest, I'd have dropped this by now. I don't understand why he can't just do this.

And the reason I'm being so cagey about this and not explaining what exactly my suspicions about G-man, suspicions first triggered by comments on other threads, are is because I don't want to make a false accusation about him, or give anyone a chance to claim that I am.

I think you are making a false accusation of him.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
And the reason I'm being so cagey about this and not explaining what exactly my suspicions about G-man, suspicions first triggered by comments on other threads, are is because I don't want to make a false accusation about him, or give anyone a chance to claim that I am.

I suspect what you want to say is that you think I'm anti-Muslim, correct?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I don't think he does.

But I think it's quite sad and pathetic that Republicans like yourself are working so hard to cash in on it.

That's the best you got?

The lol smiley. Second only to the rolling eyes. I would ask if it's all you've got, but it's just so darn insightful.

Second! Most! Powerful! Force!!! =

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Associated Press:

Sen. Barack Obama drew large crowds curious about his presidential prospects yesterday during his first trip to the pivotal campaign state of New Hampshire.

Several hundred voters turned out to hear the Illinois senator speak at a signing for his best-seller, "Audacity of Hope."

He didn't mention the presidential race but spoke instead about a new political spirit to unite Americans

I somehow doubt that he just happened to be in New Hampshire and that his visit to that state had nothing to do with a contemplated Presidential run.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've never cared enough abou the guy to atually talk about him before, but now I'm gonna make sure that I do, and every time the subject comes up, I'll include his full name for Whomod's sake.

Barack Hussein Obama

Just testing it out.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

dogbert said:

Geez, G-Man, lighten up. The fact is you posted something, dogbert asked you to clarify and also asked the reason for the posting, and now you're getting defensive, which I suppose answers his question, after a fashion.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You're assuming an angry tone to my post where none exists. I think Dogbert is trying to avoid asking me that question is all. If he is, I'm saying its okay to ask. I won't be offended.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Heh:

According to USA Today, Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) will do nothing to discourage speculation he'll take on Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) as he appears in ESPN's Monday Night Football opening segment tonight to talk about "a contest between two very different philosophies" that is also "a contest about the future."

Supposedly, he'll then acknowledge questions about "whether the new guy has enough experience."

Then, he says, he'll "put all the doubts to rest. After a lot of thought and a good deal of soul-searching, I'd like to announce to all of America that I'm ready... for the Chicago Bears to go all the way!"

Funny, but should ESPN be injecting politicians from either party into their football coverage?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You're assuming an angry tone to my post where none exists. I think Dogbert is trying to avoid asking me that question is all. If he is, I'm saying its okay to ask. I won't be offended.

Its/it's confusion.

-6 points.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I concur. If you wanted him to flat out ask you, you should have said so. Your original post comes of as snide and sarcastic. Poor show, G-Man.

All hail King Snarf!

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

dogbert said:

To be perfectly blunt, yes. And I'm wondering if you're highlighting Obama's middle name because of it.

But I realize that I might be wrong and misreading some of your comments and your intentions here, so I don't want to make a flat-out accusation, or even sound like I'm implying one.

Which is why I'm asking about the name thing and trying to do so in a way that doesn't involve suggesting racism on your part. Perhaps the answer to your question will either prove or disprove my suspicions. Then again, it might not.

But since you say asking straight out won't offend you, I'll ask - are you anti-Muslim, and is your highlighting of Obama's middle name related to it?

Last edited by dogbert; 2006-12-11 11:32 PM.

Beware the advice of successful people. They do not seek company.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I think if you read the "religion of peace" thread from the beginning you'll see I have real problems with Islam as its practiced. I won't detail them here, since we already have that thread, and I don't itend to debate it here, but I think as practiced or often enunciated its a bad philosophy and the fact that many of its adherents hide behind god to commit bad acts disturbs me.

I don't think that makes me anti-Muslim, since I've noted that there are rational Muslims out there who reject some of the loopier aspects of the religion (Again, not to belabor a point, or start a debate that is better confined to the other thread).

As for Barack Hussein Obama, I mentioned his middle name because I found it interesting, because it tied into an earlier conversation with PJP, and because I thought (rightly so apparently, given the number of replies to this thread about it) that it would spawn some conversation more interesting than "Barack seems like a nice guy" or "my white guilt means I must support Obama"

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I don't think he does.

But I think it's quite sad and pathetic that Republicans like yourself are working so hard to cash in on it.

That's the best you got?

The lol smiley. Second only to the rolling eyes. I would ask if it's all you've got, but it's just so darn insightful.

And no, that's not all I got. But, hey, if it's going to be about his middle name, "sad and pathetic" is all I'll ever need.

Thanks for your input, though.

The reason it's funny is because noone made it "about the middle name" G-Man just posted his name w/ teh middle included, but said nothing about it, then posted a long article that adressed other issues. It was you all who made a big deal about the mere use of his middle name.

Now, did G most likely include his middle name because it's ironicly embarrasing, yea, sure he did, but it's still his middle name. It's there and if including his middle name makes you all so uncomfortable, perhaps this is about more than an embarrasing name. If his middle name was Koksmoker, we'd make fun of it, but you all wouldn;t be so up in arms about it.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I think if you read the "religion of peace" thread from the beginning you'll see I have real problems with Islam as its practiced. I won't detail them here, since we already have that thread, and I don't itend to debate it here, but I think as practiced or often enunciated its a bad philosophy and the fact that many of its adherents hide behind god to commit bad acts disturbs me.

I don't think that makes me anti-Muslim, since I've noted that there are rational Muslims out there who reject some of the loopier aspects of the religion (Again, not to belabor a point, or start a debate that is better confined to the other thread).

As for Barack Hussein Obama, I mentioned his middle name because I found it interesting, because it tied into an earlier conversation with PJP, and because I thought (rightly so apparently, given the number of replies to this thread about it) that it would spawn some conversation more interesting than "Barack seems like a nice guy" or "my white guilt means I must support Obama"

Okay. That's all I wanted to know.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Just a guess on my part but I doubt any of the posters here had anything personally to do with the examples you set forth Wonder Boy. If say Dogbert posted a thread titled "Jay Danforth Quayle" I could see it as being equitable. Since he didn't I don't see how it's fair holding him accountble to something somebody else did almost 20yrs ago.

It seems to me that G-Man's title for this discussion topic just repeats what has already been shown and widely discussed in the media, by both conservatives and liberals.

As the articles posted here by G-man and others reflect.

Again, the mocking of a candidate's name (Quayle), or exploiting a candidate's middle name when it taps into an image of the founding fathers (Clinton), is ground first tread on both counts by the Democrats.

In this light, liberals bashing use of Obama's full name appear quite hypocritical.

I'm not bashing anything. I'm asking G-man why he's making a big deal out of Obama's middle name.

The first time we spoke here, you told me you appreciated being able to have a rational discussion with me without someone distorting your words or accusing you of stuff.

Are you not going to grant me the same courtesy?

I fail to see any courtesy I've denied you.

I cited straightforward facts about use of a candidate's full name in past election campaigns, specifically Quayle and Clinton. The "Jay Danforth Quayle" thing came to a head when Bush Sr. confronted Dukakis about it during one of the 1988 Presidential debates. So I don't know how you could have missed it.

And in addition to talk in the media about Obama's middle name, and Democrat pundits whining about the unfairness of using Obama's middle name, I called you and other liberals here on RKMB on your "shame on you..." tactics to G-man, implying he did something wrong without plainly stating anything that he did wrong. (And in truth, he did nothing wrong, and neither have I.)

Mean what you say, and say what you mean, without all the coy innuendo, implying guilt without plainly stating your case.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Looks like B.H. Obama is the latest Democrat with a questionable land deal:

Largely overlooked in the hubbub over the Democrats' election sweep last month was Obama's backpedaling over a questionable land deal he struck in 2005 with a tainted political fund-raiser, Tony Rezko, who has since been indicted by feds in an alleged pay-to-play scheme.

The seeds for the deal were planted in 2004, when Obama got a big-money book contract after winning his Senate seat. With the book cash, he bought a swanky Illinois mansion in June 2005 for $1.65 million. On the same day that Obama closed on the home, Rezko paid $625,000 for the adjacent vacant lot.

Six months later, Obama expanded the size of his yard by buying a strip of Rezko's land for only $105,000.

Obama insists the transaction was aboveboard, but he has been contrite about the appearance of impropriety.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Well, as long as he's not interested in underage Senate pages....

All hail King Snarf!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
You don't like the competition?

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
No, I was concerned for Pariah.

All hail King Snarf!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
He doesn't like the competition?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Exactly.

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
What does Barack Obama believe in?

Sen. Obama spent his short lifetime breathing in the common liberal/leftist wisdom, which he exhales at length. This is not something new--it's something old in a new package. And it is something that wins you what he has, a series of 100% ratings from left-liberal interest groups.

He is, clearly, a warm-blooded political animal, an eager connector, a man of intelligence and a writer whose observations suggest the possibility of an independence of spirit. Also a certain unknowability. Which may account for some of his popularity.

But again, what does he believe? From reading his book, I would say he believes in his destiny.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I see him similar to Guiliani (minus Rudy's serial adultery & a succesion of wives). They both have that blank canvas bit that people seem to be liking at this point.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Actually, Guiliani ran a city that has a higher population than some states and a city government more complex than a lot of statehouses.

For example, the population of New York City alone is more than ten times that of Vermont (home of former Democratic frontrunner Howard Dean).

Basically, given its size and complexity, being mayor of New York is not unlike being a 51st governor.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Reminds me of what was said when Bush was campaigning. I prefer some type of voteing record myself.

Fair play!
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Fascinating.

Before I begin...let me qualify my short response: For those of you that don't know, I manage a retail jewelry store.

It's the Christmas season.

I am working 13 to 14 hour days. I've had 1 off day since December 1st and my next one will be Christmas day. I'm wired on 6 RedBull, 3 espressos and 4 Ginseng tablets...I've drank almost a pint and a half of scotch trying to fall asleep and, at 4:09 am EST, I'm still awake.

That said...I don't think G-Man was being bigoted in any way against Obama by mentioning his middle name.. Was he being incindiary and inciteful...?

Of course. He's G-man. Would any of the left leaning posters here expect anything less?

However...he raised a point that will be as crucial in the argument against him in the 2008 election as his skin color: Many under-educated and/or reactionary and/or bigotted and/or what-ever-adjective-you'd-like-to-pick voter: Since his name is not "merican-soundin'" he can't be for America.

Pa Kettle: "Damn, Maw...that Barak feller is OK fer a Nigra...he talks like us white folk and I bet he don't listen ta that rap music...but he's named fer one 'a dem Muslim sand niggers that's tryin ta kill us..."

Mas Kettle: "Well, Pa...he is light skinned. He cain't be all bad. Ain't his Mama white? I mean, I know she's a race traitor and all but seems like at least some of his genes would be for us God fearin' white folk..."

Here, in the MidWest, I would be willing to bet serious cash that some version of the above conversation will go on in the homes of some voters.

Barak is a great politician. His story is awesome and uplifting. He is perceived as a non-threatening Black man by many whites. He has the intelligence and ability, I'm sure, to be a great president given enough governing experience.

That said...I don't beleive that I'd vote for him as primary on a ticket. At least not right now. His lack of experience governing does concern me. I think he'd be better served as the eloquent compromiser on the bottom of a ticket rather than the unsure and untested head of same.

While I don't think Obama would do any worse a job that our governments' current "leader", I think Obama needs to make his opinions and voice more clear for those that haven't read his book and don't know much about him.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

THE Bastard said:
Was he being incindiary and inciteful...?

Of course. He's G-man. Would any of the left leaning posters here expect anything less?

No.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
The reason it's funny is because noone made it "about the middle name" G-Man just posted his name w/ teh middle included, but said nothing about it, then posted a long article that adressed other issues. It was you all who made a big deal about the mere use of his middle name.

Over half the original article is about the role of religion in Obama's life and the lives of his parents.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
It's there and if including his middle name makes you all so uncomfortable, perhaps this is about more than an embarrasing name. If his middle name was Koksmoker, we'd make fun of it, but you all wouldn;t be so up in arms about it.

It's not about being uncomfortable, as you and G-man suppose. I know it feels good to think that we on the left are uncomfortable about Obama's name, but that's really not the case. At least, it's definitely not for me. If watching Obama has taught me anything, it's that his middle name won't be an issue for very long one way or the other.

For me, it's G-man's denial of tactics that remain incredibly obvious, something that we on the left have come to expect, that renew my attention. It doesn't make me sad or angry, though.

If anything, I take G-man's naming of this thread as proof that G-man and others like him are scared of what Obama could do in '08 if he chose to run. If the midterm elections were any indication, people like Obama and Mrs. Clinton would stand a very good chance against whoever chose to run on the other side of the aisle. An Obama/Clinton ticket or Clinton/Obama ticket would be devastating.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
ph34r the double quota!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

I don't think G-Man was being bigoted in any way against Obama by mentioning his middle name.. Was he being incindiary and inciteful...?

If, by incindiary, you mean did I want to incite discussion on the board, even if a pissed a few of the left leaning posters, off, then yes. Guilty as charged.

His middle name is part of who he is. His family background, his parents' beliefs, his beliefs, they are all part of who he is.

Does it wholly define him? Of course not. No more really than the fact Bill Clinton's middle name being "Jefferson" reminds us he's southern or George H.W. Bush's middle names being "Herbert Walker" remind us he comes from the wealthy upper crust of New England.

And, to be honest, I think its the "left" here, or a portion thereof, that finds his middle name the real threat. Why else, for example, would most of you guys scrupulously edit out of the thread title...if the not the fact that you don't want people to be reminded of it? Why else are so many of the "left" here incited by mentioning the truth about his middle name?

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

I don't think G-Man was being bigoted in any way against Obama by mentioning his middle name.. Was he being incindiary and inciteful...?

If, by incindiary, you mean did I want to incite discussion on the board, even if a pissed a few of the left leaning posters, off, then yes. Guilty as charged.

His middle name is part of who he is. His family background, his parents' beliefs, his beliefs, they are all part of who he is.

Does it wholly define him? Of course not. No more really than the fact Bill Clinton's middle name being "Jefferson" reminds us he's southern or George H.W. Bush's middle names being "Herbert Walker" remind us he comes from the wealthy upper crust of New England.

And, to be honest, I think its the "left" here, or a portion thereof, that finds his middle name the real threat. Why else, for example, would most of you guys scrupulously edit out of the thread title...if the not the fact that you don't want people to be reminded of it? Why else are so many of the "left" here incited by mentioning the truth about his middle name?

If that was the case, why didn't you just say so the first time I asked? Odds are this whole brouhaha over why you included the middle name might have been avoided (at least by me). By not answering and seemingly dodging the question, you made me suspicious of your motives and intentions.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Because the thread should have been, and is, about Barack Hussein Obama, not about whether or not I like Islam which, as I correctly surmised, is what you were getting at.

Also, if you look at my earlier answers I said what I meant, and meant what I just said: that its his actual middle name, that it reflects who he is, and why not mention it?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I prefer some type of voteing record myself.

That's your right. However, based on voting patterns of the past forty-plus years, you're a little alone in that desire.

Every President since 1964 has had executive branch experience and ran orimarily on that experience.

Johnson ran as the incumbent.
    Nixon ran as a former Vice President.
    Carter ran as a governor.
    Reagan ran as a governor, then as sitting president
    Bush Sr ran as a sitting Vice President.
    Clinton ran as a governor, then as sitting President
    Bush ran as a governor, then as sitting President

In contrast, during that same time period, every candidate whose experience ended with the legislative branch lost.

Senator Goldwater lost
    Senator Humphrey lost
    Senator McGovern lost
    Senator Dole lost
    Senator Kerry lost.

In fact, if the 2008 race ends up as McCain vs Clinton or McCain v Obama, it will be the first time in forty-eight years that a sitting legislator is elected President.

And if its Guiliani or Romney vs either of those guys, there's a good chance a member of the executive branch (Governor or Mayor) will get elected again.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

If watching Obama has taught me anything, it's that his middle name won't be an issue for very long one way or the other.

In the long run I think his name will be a plus factor for him.

[quotesomething that we on the left have come to expect,

Well, not everyone can be so exalted as the left, but I'm glad you have all become content to look down on us with pitty rather than disdain.

Quote:

If anything, I take G-man's naming of this thread as proof that G-man and others like him are scared of what Obama could do in '08 if he chose to run. If the midterm elections were any indication, people like Obama and Mrs. Clinton would stand a very good chance against whoever chose to run on the other side of the aisle. An Obama/Clinton ticket or Clinton/Obama ticket would be devastating.

I would have to agree with you. I'm not so pollyannish as some others on both sides of the isle can be to ignore a genuine threat from the other side. Obamma worries me, because I dissagree with his policies and think they would be far more harmfull than even Hillary, but I also think he can win, because his would really not be a campaign of policies, but rather an "outsider vs. the status quo" campaign, wich would be very effective in teh current climate.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

The "most of you guys" editing out the thread title is actually just me G-man. Obama doesn't deny having Hussein for a middle name but he doesn't use it. I totally understand why you do use it but I'll follow Obama's lead & go with the usual first & last name usage.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I prefer some type of voteing record myself.

That's your right. However, based on voting patterns of the past forty-plus years, you're a little alone in that desire.

Every President since 1964 has had executive branch experience and ran orimarily on that experience.

Johnson ran as the incumbent.
    Nixon ran as a former Vice President.
    Carter ran as a governor.
    Reagan ran as a governor, then as sitting president
    Bush Sr ran as a sitting Vice President.
    Clinton ran as a governor, then as sitting President
    Bush ran as a governor, then as sitting President

In contrast, during that same time period, every candidate whose experience ended with the legislative branch lost.

Senator Goldwater lost
    Senator Humphrey lost
    Senator McGovern lost
    Senator Dole lost
    Senator Kerry lost.

In fact, if the 2008 race ends up as McCain vs Clinton or McCain v Obama, it will be the first time in forty-eight years that a sitting legislator is elected President.

And if its Guiliani or Romney vs either of those guys, there's a good chance a member of the executive branch (Governor or Mayor) will get elected again.

I think most people would like to see more experienced candidates in this post 9/11 world but the political process still turns experience into a liability. McCain & Kerry both had their records fuel more than a couple of negative campaign ads.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
The "most of you guys" editing out the thread title is actually just me G-man. Obama doesn't deny having Hussein for a middle name but he doesn't use it. I totally understand why you do use it but I'll follow Obama's lead & go with the usual first & last name usage.

Oh.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

Oh.

Yep.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I see.

Page 2 of 94 1 2 3 4 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard