Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
dogbert Offline OP
300+ posts
OP Offline
300+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061218/us_nm/usa_marijuana_dc
By David Alexander 1 hour, 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. growers produce nearly $35 billion worth of marijuana annually, making the illegal drug the country's largest cash crop, bigger than corn and wheat combined, an advocate of medical marijuana use said in a study released on Monday.

The report, conducted by Jon Gettman, a public policy analyst and former head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also concluded that five U.S. states produce more than $1 billion worth of marijuana apiece: California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington.

California's production alone was about $13.8 billion, according to Gettman, who waged an unsuccessful six-year legal battle to force the government to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed to have no medical value.

Tom Riley, a spokesman for the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, said he could not confirm the report's conclusions on the size of the country's marijuana crop. But he said the government estimated overall U.S. illegal drug use at $200 billion annually.

Gettman's figures were based on several government reports between 2002 and 2005 estimating the United States produced more than 10,000 metric tons of marijuana annually.

He calculated the producer price per pound of marijuana at $1,606 based on national survey data showing retail prices of between $2,400 and $3,000 between 2001 and 2005.

The total value of 10,000 metric tons of marijuana at $1,606 per pound would be $35.8 billion.

By comparison, the United States produced an average of nearly $23.3 billion worth of corn annually from 2003 to 2005, $17.6 billion worth of soybeans, $12.2 billion worth of hay, nearly $11.1 billion worth of vegetables and $7.4 billion worth of wheat, the report said.

Gettman said the 10-fold increase in U.S. marijuana production, from 1,000 metric tons in 1981 to 10,000 metric tons in 2006, showed the country was failing to control marijuana by making its cultivation and use illegal.

"Marijuana has become a pervasive and ineradicable part of the economy of the United States," he said. "The contribution of this market to the nation's gross domestic product is overlooked in the debate over effective control."

"Like all profitable agricultural crops marijuana adds resources and value to the economy," he added. "The focus of public policy should be how to effectively control this market through regulation and taxation in order to achieve immediate and realistic goals, such as reducing teenage access."

Riley said illegal drug use was a "serious part of the economy," but he rejected the notion of an economic argument for legalizing marijuana.

He said marijuana use was an "inherently harmful activity" with serious physical and mental health consequences. He said more American teens were in treatment centers for marijuana dependency than for all other drugs combined.

Should there be a prize for this? The Golden Blunt, or something like that?

Last edited by dogbert; 2006-12-18 10:08 PM.

Beware the advice of successful people. They do not seek company.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
First, marijuana being America's top cash crop is not news. Second, I highly doubt the accuracy of the last paragraph. First, no one has ever died of a marijuana overdose. Ever. Second, does "all other drugs combined" include alcohol?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
marijuana isn't physically addicting. and there's no conclusive evidence of health risks unlike say the myriad of problems with legal "drugs" such as nicotine, alcohol, fast food, processed sugars, etc.

they should legalize it and they probably will at some point just to collect tax revenue and stop wasting funds on prosecuting such a minor thing.

Bow ties are coool.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
marijuana isn't physically addicting.

That's in dispute.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Okay... Lots of legal substances are physically addicting as well. What's your point, G?

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
We should base the decision as to whether and to what extent to legalize and/or regulate it, like any other drug, based on potential side effects is all.

We shouldn't ignore side effects in one drug (marijuana) just because it happens to be popular among aging hippies and hipster doofuses.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It's ironic that pot is not legal, and alcohol is, and look how many people end up in AA....

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, but if pot was legal would as many people be in NA?

I don't know the answer. I'm just asking.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I don't know the answer, either. I last smoked pot in college - about 30 years ago.

I just appreciate the irony of it all.

life." - Tuvok.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
lids and dime bags next to the candy would make a killing IMO

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
He said marijuana use was an "inherently harmful activity" with serious physical and mental health consequences. He said more American teens were in treatment centers for marijuana dependency than for all other drugs combined.

Wow. What a perfectly absolute blatant lie. They're not even trying anymore, are they?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You're doing that thing again where you think an opinion different from yours has to be a "lie." Ya gotta watch that, buddy

While I am willing to concede that, like a scientific or medical data, the ultimate conclusion is in dispute, there is a certain amount of evidence that suggests marijuana, or at least the stuff that's been carefully bred for potency over the past few decades, is addictive and contains at least as many carcingens as tobacco.

If so that makes it at least as inherently harmful as nicotine.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Actually, there have been studies that show marijuana is LESS harmful than cigarettes, at least the mass marketed cigarettes. Whether straight marijuana is more or less harmful than straight tobacco is probably in debate.

All hail King Snarf!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Let's put this to a vote!

Legalize it?
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
Votes accepted starting: 2006-12-20 1:51 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Actually, there have been studies that show marijuana is LESS harmful than cigarettes, at least the mass marketed cigarettes. Whether straight marijuana is more or less harmful than straight tobacco is probably in debate.

You may be correct. Like I said, I think some of the evidence is still open for debate.

However, the cynic in me says that legalizing it, at least for recreational (as opposed to medical) use will only result in the tobacco companies doing what they can to make it at least as addictive as their current product.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
THC is not less harmful than nicotine. Whoever told you anything of the sort is a lying tard. Quite frankly, that is the only real difference between cigarettes and marijuana. The idea that tobacco or marijuana vary in lung pollution is a myth. With the exception of their addictive properties, they're the same in all regards. It's acid vs. nicotine. Which one do you think is the more dangerous exactly?

The only reason this whole debate is going on is that dirty hippies don't want to admit their filthy life-style while trying to say smokers are throwing stones in a glass house. Their greatest ammunition lies in pointing out the fact that abuse of tobacco smoke has killed a greater number of people than marijuana. In the mean time, they don't want to admit that if we were to legalize shit like marijuana, meth, cocaine, etc. those drugs would have just as much chance to kill millions of people as well.

But no...In the end, cigarettes are just too friggin' evil to be compared to marijuana. Let's not forget that the tobacco companies consume our young.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
THC is not less harmful than nicotine. Whoever told you anything of the sort is a lying tard. Quite frankly, that is the only real difference between cigarettes and marijuana. The idea that tobacco or marijuana vary in lung pollution is a myth. With the exception of their addictive properties, they're the same in all regards. It's acid vs. nicotine. Which one do you think is the more dangerous exactly?

The only reason this whole debate is going on is that dirty hippies don't want to admit their filthy life-style while trying to say smokers are throwing stones in a glass house. Their greatest ammunition lies in pointing out the fact that abuse of tobacco smoke has killed a greater number of people than marijuana. In the mean time, they don't want to admit that if we were to legalize shit like marijuana, meth, cocaine, etc. those drugs would have just as much chance to kill millions of people as well.

But no...In the end, cigarettes are just too friggin' evil to be compared to marijuana. Let's not forget that the tobacco companies consume our young.

I assume that this is all based on something your priest told you during sunday school.
However filthy evil science says otherwise. There has never been a documented case of death from marijuana.
There has never been a conclusive sutdy showing harmful side effects fom THC.
Smoke from marijuana actually burns at a different temperature than cigarette smoke so effects the lungs differently.
Tobacco companies add some pretty nasty shit to their cigarettes.
We've already established also that you are a virgin who doesn't masturbate.
marijuana and cocane are drastically different substances and the people who want to legalize weed rarely mention other harsher drugs.
no matter how you phrase it, alcohol is more dangerous and destructive than marijuana can ever be. in terms of both health and the actions performed by the intoxicated party.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
While I am willing to concede that, like a scientific or medical data, the ultimate conclusion is in dispute, there is a certain amount of evidence that suggests marijuana, or at least the stuff that's been carefully bred for potency over the past few decades, is addictive and contains at least as many carcingens as tobacco.

If so that makes it at least as inherently harmful as nicotine.

i don't think you know what you're talking about. hypothetically, having never smoked as it is illegal, i have had nicotine fits where you just need a cigarette but never once had the "urge" to use weed other than its enjoyable. weed is only addictive in the sense watching tv is addictive or sleeping in on the weekends is addictive.
if you're a shiftless layabout then weed is merely an excuse to be lazy. if you're an ambitious type person then weed is an excuse to do a bunch of shit. it depends on the person and you can't blame weed for the failings of the users.

Bow ties are coool.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
The real reason marijuana is illegal is that it can be used to make cheap and clean paper, cloth, pharmaceuticals, and other products.

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
The real reason marijuana is illegal is that it can be used to make cheap and clean paper, cloth, pharmaceuticals, and other products.

Heh. The old conspiracy theory. I guess pot DOES make you paranoid.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Please, if the government was really worried about the so-called dangers of marijuana, then they'd be equally concerned about the dangers of alcohol, tobacco, and various pharmaceutical drugs. But the truth is, you can't make pollution-free paper out of hooch.

And by the way, the Bush family owns stock in a drug company that's trying to develop a synthetic marijuana. If marijuana was ever legalized, they'd lose an assload of money. Gee, I wonder why they're so keen on the War on Drugs?

All hail King Snarf!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
All I know is that SLOM-ing is awesome.

Y'know, sticking leeches on myself. It's great.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
SLOM-ing! It's the *NEW* teen trend!

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
And it looks like THIS is the next new trend for teens!

life." - Tuvok.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

not really, in the case of glaucoma to balance a lower IOP one would have to light up about 15 joints a day. brinking on naked air guitar solos.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Legalizing regulated quantities of marijuana for use and posession would increase government revenue and decrease the overcrowding of US prisons- also freeing up money for government things. Why the hell is the government AGAINST legalizing it?

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
However filthy evil science says otherwise. There has never been a documented case of death from marijuana.

Because society never gave it a chance to.

Quote:

There has never been a conclusive sutdy showing harmful side effects fom THC.

You musta been smoking some as you typed that sentence out.

Quote:

Smoke from marijuana actually burns at a different temperature than cigarette smoke so effects the lungs differently.

It's not the temperature, it's the pollutants in the smoke. Both forms of smoke affect the lungs negatively.

Quote:

Tobacco companies add some pretty nasty shit to their cigarettes.

Clarify.

Quote:

marijuana and cocane are drastically different substances and the people who want to legalize weed rarely mention other harsher drugs.

They are, however, still on the list of drugs that people are pushing to legalize. Furthermore, it is continually claimed that cigarettes are more addictive than any of them when in fact that's just the bias of hippies talking.

Quote:

no matter how you phrase it, alcohol is more dangerous and destructive than marijuana can ever be.

Any substance can be harmful if it's abused too much. The point is that THC is more easily abused than either nicotine or alcohol.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Legalizing regulated quantities of marijuana for use and posession would increase government revenue...etc.

The same could be said for any substance, dangerous or not.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
And by the way, the Bush family owns stock in a drug company that's trying to develop a synthetic marijuana. If marijuana was ever legalized, they'd lose an assload of money. Gee, I wonder why they're so keen on the War on Drugs?

Oh. I see. It's "Bush's fault"TM.

I should have known that the war on drugs HAD to be directly tied to yet another of the many, many, conspiracies that this President engages in on a daily basis to enrich himself, his family and friends.

After all, its NOT like the federal government has been fighting a "war on drugs" FOR NEARLY FORTY FUCKING YEARS!!

Like I said... paranoid.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You're doing that thing again where you think an opinion different from yours has to be a "lie." Ya gotta watch that, buddy

Fair enough. However, I would need to see legitimate numbers showing that "more American teens were in treatment centers for marijuana dependency than for all other drugs combined". THAT is pure fucking bullshit on a "Santa-is-real" level...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

Show me the research and conclusive proof you have to validate such a definite statement. Or, is that just another of your lucid opinions born of wanting to argue to seem intelligent and noteworthy? Yeah, I'm thinking the latter.

Quote:

The only reason this whole debate is going on is that dirty hippies don't want to admit their filthy life-style while trying to say smokers are throwing stones in a glass house. Their greatest ammunition lies in pointing out the fact that abuse of tobacco smoke has killed a greater number of people than marijuana.

Uhhh...yeah. Cause, it is. A fact. I even highlighted that part for you. Marijuana is not lethal. No one dies from smoking a joint. Ever. I mean, basically what you just said is that people are using facts to prove the lack of harm in smoking pot. So, point made and agreed with. It's a fact. What were you smoking while typing that?

Quote:

In the mean time, they don't want to admit that if we were to legalize shit like marijuana, meth, cocaine, etc. those drugs would have just as much chance to kill millions of people as well.

Yeah, and jaywalkers, shopkifters, Hitler, mass murderers, litterbugs, rapists, dads who owe child support, students that haven't paid their student loans back, child molesters, and Saddam Hussein are all the same on every level. Right? You cannot lump marijuana in with meth and coke. That's absurd even for someone as woefully blind to facts as you.

Quote:

Agreed. I'll take pot over tobacco any day of the week. As would anyone with any common sense, grasp on reality, and trust in the factual universe of existence...

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
THAT is pure fucking bullshit on a "Santa-is-real" level...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
After all, its NOT like the federal government has been fighting a "war on drugs" FOR NEARLY FORTY FUCKING YEARS!!

Gob forbid I agree with G-Man on anything, but...yeah, that's true. The 'War on Drugs' has been going on for a looooong time. Now, whether the Bushes ("Bush's"? "Bushi"?) or some of the other wealthy elite are making peripheral profit off of it, I don't know. But, you can't lay the wild and wasteful distribution of War-on-Drugs tax money solely in the lap of the current Prez...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

Prometheus said:

Fair enough. However, I would need to see legitimate numbers showing that "more American teens were in treatment centers for marijuana dependency than for all other drugs combined". THAT is pure fucking bullshit on a "Santa-is-real" level...

But what would you consider "real numbers"?

For my part, I can see the stat as "true," insofar as I would hazard a guess that, if nothing else, the number is skewed by having teens in for marijuana and something else, as well as the possibility that by dependence they mean psychological, as opposed to physical, dependence.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Uschi said:
Legalizing regulated quantities of marijuana for use and posession would increase government revenue...etc.

Two things:
1. Cocaine is legal for certain uses.
2. Are these other substances our #1 cash crop?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Point of Consideration: Pariah has been led to believe that AIDS is caused by the contact of semen to blood - like magic.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Uschi said:

Two things:
1. Cocaine is legal for certain uses.
2. Are these other substances our #1 cash crop?

But we aren't talking about just cocaine.

And the only reaons its our "#1 cash crop" is because it is, in fact, illegal, which drives up the price.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
And the only reaons its our "#1 cash crop" is because it is, in fact, illegal, which drives up the price.

Let it be known that I would pay the same amount if I could just go buy it at the drug store...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
But what would you consider "real numbers"?

For my part, I can see the stat as "true," insofar as I would hazard a guess that, if nothing else, the number is skewed by having teens in for marijuana and something else, as well as the possibility that by dependence they mean psychological, as opposed to physical, dependence.

Ah, but see that's it. If there are any numbers to support such an assertion, they are incredibly skewed by the very idea of lumping it in with what they're actually in there for. You could very well throw in caffeine, and it would be "more than all drugs combined", as I'm certain even heroin junkies drink coca-cola. In other words, it's a fabrication by omission...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Let it be known that I would pay the same amount if I could just go buy it at the drug store...

Except then you'd be bitching about how the big pharmaceutical companies are ripping you off and claiming they were a bunch of crooks.

As for your other point, about skewing the numbers, while I wouldn't call it a fabrication I would agree that the numbers may be skewed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard