Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Nintendo Announces 2007 Wii Lineup
by Matt Casamassina

Last week, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata held a conference to talk about company financials and to outline its plan for the year. At the Japan-hosted event, Iwata noted that the Big N had 45 Wii games and another 79 DS titles in development. Now, through officially released financial documents, we've gained a much deeper understanding of which titles players can look forward to this year - both in Japan and in America.

Nintendo officially states that the following games will be coming out for Wii in Japan in 2007:

Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (DK Jet or DK Bongo Blast, US) - June 28, 2007
    Wii Health Pack -- 2007
    Disaster: Day of Crisis - 2007
    Mario Party 8 - 2007
    Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - 2007
    Wii Music - 2007
    Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2007
    Battalion Wars II - 2007
    Forever Blue - 2007
    Mario Strikers Charged - 2007
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 2007
    Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 2007

In a word, wow. The list confirms that, at least in Japan, Nintendo is planning to release all of its big Wii guns, including Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, this year. In addition, the list reaffirms that the company is underway with Wii Health Pack and Wii Music, two games destined to follow in the footsteps of the ultra-popular Wii Sports. Wii Health Pack is allegedly an exercise-focused game that rates players' health scores in the same way that Nintendo's brain titles rank brain ages. Meanwhile, Wii Music will very likely include both Wii Orchestra and Wii Drums, as demonstrated or shown at previous events, such as the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

While skeptics may argue that Nintendo carelessly listed all of its major games for 2007 without much thought, or to remain vague, it is important to note that it also made a distinction for two projects. Both Animal Crossing Wii and Hoshi no Kirby (Kirby Adventure) Wii are listed in the same documents as "TBA," or to be announced. Clearly, some separators were set for the official list and Nintendo still chose to define the majority of its Wii projects for the 2007 time frame.

Of the games listed, only four have been officially confirmed to debut this year in America. Mario Party 8 is set for May 29 in the States; Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree for June 11; Pokemon Battle Revolution for June 25; and Mario Strikers Charged for this summer. SEGA has revealed that Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will ship this year, but no specific date has been set. However, readers should remember that titles like Metroid Prime 3 are set for 2007 in Japan and these games have always shipped in America first, suggesting that Corruption is certain to debut in the US before the end of the year. In addition, we have to think that fans would riot if Japan got Smash and Galaxy in 2007 and the Americas did not.

Nintendo has historically shied away from releasing too many major games during a single year and as a result fans have become accustomed to bracing themselves for software delays. Beyond the second quarter, though, this year's Wii release schedule is anybody's guess and there is now real hope that the company could actually debut many of its biggest games before the holiday season.

While PlayStation 3 may not yet be a threat to Wii, Xbox 360 sales are continuing at a steady pace with no visible signs of slowing. The house that Mario built could choose to counter some of Microsoft's kings with aces of its own - Smash, Galaxy and Metroid can certainly compete with titles like Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Too Human. And Nintendo may be able to do this without losing sight of the mainstream crowd, dishing out efforts like Wii Health Pack and Wii Music.

Furthermore, Nintendo's 2007 Wii schedule consists of only 13 titles -- a far cry from the 45 projects the company has in development.

For now, the release schedule is not speculation, but truth - at least overseas. What remains to be seen is whether or not Nintendo will stick to the schedule or delay one or more projects to next year. If it does indeed move ahead as currently planned, 2007 may prove to be one of the biggest years in company history.

In separate, but semi-related news, rumors began to circulate late last week that Nintendo was interested in hiring former Sony head Ken Kutaragi, who, having fathered the PlayStation and its predecessors, is leaving the company. But speaking with the Japanese press, Nintendo's president said that such rumors were unfounded.

giant picture
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The name "Mario" appears 4 times too many in that list.

When are they going to move on to new things and stop milking these ancient characters?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
mario galaxy is the true heir to the mario line, so thats fine. and it looks aweshome. i got to play it at e3 last year, and its so fun.

mario party 8 is a continuation of a line that no one here seems to care about, but it sells very well in japan and europe, so they keep mass producing them. supposedly, this one is going to get much more involved in minigames and make good use of the controller, so i might rent it, but... traditionally, they're crap.

mario strikers is part of the "nintendo sports" line (baseball, tennis, golf, soccer, etc), where the whole crew gets out there and plays with a varied amount of power ups. its really in the same vein as the smash bros titles, tho focusing more on the mario universe. typically very fun, but not great representations of whatever sport they're utilizing.

the mario / sonic olympics game sounds great!!! sincerely, 1992. ... honestly, it could be fun, or it could be crap. i haven't heard or seen anything about it, other than the announcement.

is it overusing the franchise/character? perspective, i guess. really, in the past 10 years, its like we're sorta done with "new games." everything is a sequel. tekken is on 6, resident evil is on like 15, madden and wwe games have a new title every year, and sometimes more! if they sell, who can blame them?

giant picture
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
The name "Mario" appears 4 times too many in that list.

When are they going to move on to new things and stop milking these ancient characters?

probably when it stops making them money....

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

is it overusing the franchise/character? perspective, i guess. really, in the past 10 years, its like we're sorta done with "new games." everything is a sequel. tekken is on 6, resident evil is on like 15, madden and wwe games have a new title every year, and sometimes more! if they sell, who can blame them?

I think the point though is although Madden etc has a new game every year, thats only one Madden game a year, one Resident evil game a year etc
But every second game on the Nintendo is Mario related.

I realise its a cash cow for them, but I think its often a way to sell a subpar game!
Sell a shitty olympics game with a unknown characters it makes jack shit, sell the same game with Mario in it and people buy it on name alone!

As you say, they will keep doing it while people keep buying them though!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Rob, my dear boy. I have not a single beef with anyone who wants to make money. However, if Nintendo would like to expand beyond their current tedium, they should take a lesson from their rival, Sony, and invest in making more franchises and character varieties instead of whoring the same character over and over again.

This is not about money, it's about art. Their's is becoming more stale with each launch.

Investing in Manhunt 2, for example, was the one of the only smart decisions they've made so far with the Wii.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I think the point though is although Madden etc has a new game every year, thats only one Madden game a year, one Resident evil game a year etc But every second game on the Nintendo is Mario related.

semantics, sure, but the mario games do not come out every year. after 5 years, you'd have 5 maddens and 5 mario games.

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I realise its a cash cow for them, but I think its often a way to sell a subpar game!

yes and no.

in the past, nintendo has often applied their mascots to games that they felt, otherwise, would not be successful. "dinosaur planet", for example, was an adventure game about a non-descript hero in a new world. nintendo saw how much effort rare was putting into the game, but didn't feel it would be strong enough to support the development.

so, nintendo enforced starfox characters into the existing premise in order to guarantee a certain level of sales.

other samples, like that of the sports lines, tend to cater to a unique fanbase; baseball games really only appeal to baseball fans. however, a baseball game enfused with mario characters doubles the appeal.

its a strategy ever developer and system deploy, nintendo just does it more often as they are console and software developers, as well as the owners of more franchises.

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I think the point though is although Madden etc has a new game every year, thats only one Madden game a year, one Resident evil game a year etc But every second game on the Nintendo is Mario related.

semantics, sure, but the mario games do not come out every year. after 5 years, you'd have 5 maddens and 5 mario games.

Now you know that aint true!
In between 2001 and 2005, Nintendo released something like 13 Mario based games on the GBA!

The DS has already had at least 10 Marion related games in little more than a year!

The N64 had at least 11 games in five years!

16 in four years on the Gamecube!

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Rob, my dear boy. I have not a single beef with anyone who wants to make money. However, if Nintendo would like to expand beyond their current tedium, they should take a lesson from their rival, Sony, and invest in making more franchises and character varieties instead of whoring the same character over and over again.

ps3's titles, my dear... y'know... you, are filled with sequels, just as much as the next guy's. new worlds and genres and titles aren't as common place as they used to be, because development costs have grown exponentially.

however, that doesn't mean nintendo hasn't developed or hosted any new IPs in the past few years. its quite the opposite; fire emblem, disaster, brain age, wii sports/play, conker, project hammer, pikmin, nintendogs, animal crossing, baten kaitos, advance / batallion wars, eternal darkness, viewtiful joe, blue, etc.

there are a large number of new worlds, new "art", you just don't notice those as much as the "mario" ones.

Quote:

Pariah said:
Investing in Manhunt 2, for example, was the one of the only smart decisions they've made so far with the Wii.

a sequel!

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

save mario party, the mario games do not come out every year. in the lifespan of gamecube, for example, there was 1 golf, 1 soccer, 1 baseball, etc.

giant picture
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
despite all that has been said....im still getting smash bros as soon as possible...

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
despite all that has been said....im still getting smash bros as soon as possible...

it is much good!

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

save mario party, the mario games do not come out every year. in the lifespan of gamecube, for example, there was 1 golf, 1 soccer, 1 baseball, etc.

But you are missing the point totally.
We aint talking about sequels per se, we are talking about Mario this, and Mario that.

As much as the name Mario sells to Nintendo fans, you have to understand that so much being Mario related is what keeps a lot of people away from Nintendo as they view it as being a kiddie orientated games system!

Granted if they stopped releasing "Mario shit" or "Mario pee", it probably wouldnt attract enough people to balance the loss of sales that they would have, but its still a potential loss.

I can tell you this for now, I do buy sequels, but if 50% of the games on the PS3 were Lara Croft golf, Lara Croft rally, Lara Croft farts etc etc etc, I would probably lose interest in that as well!

Although the games are different, the characters make everything seem to samey!

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
As much as the name Mario sells to Nintendo fans, you have to understand that so much being Mario related is what keeps a lot of people away from Nintendo as they view it as being a kiddie orientated games system!

in gamecube's life span, nintendo released a handful of mario titles (your 16 seems high). nintendo also released many times that amount of non-mario games. and thats just first party. second and third party titles saw still more non-mario games.

if the angst of the population is over 1%, or even 10%, of the games, thats a perception issue, not a production or artistic one. there's no great way to correct that.

giant picture
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Now all that's needed is a Smash Bros for the DS....

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

in gamecube's life span, nintendo released a handful of mario titles (your 16 seems high). nintendo also released many times that amount of non-mario games. and thats just first party. second and third party titles saw still more non-mario games.

if the angst of the population is over 1%, or even 10%, of the games, thats a perception issue, not a production or artistic one. there's no great way to correct that.

Ok, you are still totally missing the point and contradicting yourself.
You said that in five years there are 5 Madden games and 5 Mario games, which I said wasnt true.
I then said there was at least 16 Mario related games released in a 4 year period on the GC, which you dispute, then back it up by saying percentages.
By that reckoning Madden makes up a far smaller percentage of games released on any other system than Mario on the GC.

For the record the Mario related GC titles were:
Quote:

* Luigi's Mansion (2001) - Mario is the man you must save in this "Ghostbusters-esque" title.
* Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001) - largely a facelift of SSB with a new Final Fight-style side-scrolling brawler; this was also the first game featuring Mario to be given a "T" (Teen) rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board.
* Super Mario Sunshine (2002) - First Mario platform game for Nintendo's GameCube
* Mario Party 4 (2002)
* Mario Party 5 (2003)
* Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003) New features include 2-drivers system, and the support of 16 players playing at the same time, using GameCube's LAN feature.
* Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (2003)
* Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004) Sequel to Paper Mario.
* Mario Power Tennis (2004)
* Mario Party 6 (2004)
* NBA Street V3 (2005) Mario, Luigi and Peach are playable characters as the "Nintendo All-stars" team in the GameCube edition of this game.
* Mario Superstar Baseball (2005)
* Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix (2005)
* SSX On Tour (2005) Mario, Luigi and Peach are playable characters.
* Mario Party 7 (2005)
* Super Mario Strikers (2005)

Ok, so maybe the NBA game is stretching it, but the fact still remains that it was probably given lots of page space in magazines and on websites that made mention of this!

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
You said that in five years there are 5 Madden games and 5 Mario games, which I said wasnt true. I then said there was at least 16 Mario related games released in a 4 year period on the GC, which you dispute, then back it up by saying percentages.

as i explained, the "5 games" comment was about the specific titles mentioned. i said 16 mario-based games sounded high. ssx, nba street, and super smash are not mario-based, and the ddr game was special release. but, again, its all semantics. lets call it 20 games. my point still remains that its just some of the titles released for the console. whether or not its a good fraction is perception.

if there are gamers so bent out of shape in their hatred of mariosploitation that they miss out on other titles they might enjoy, thats unfortunate.

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
you are still totally missing the point

if so, i guess don't see your point. what is it?

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The original point that Pariah made was that only 13 games are sposed to be releases, and a third of them are from the same franchise.
Where is the originality?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
those 13 games listed are all first-party nintendo games -- i.e; nintendo is responsible for all of them. if 4 or even 10 are from repeating franchises, or hell even re-releases, that still leaves 3-9 new IPs or new titles in a single year from one developer.

how is that bad? that would put them towards the top of the list for new product.

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I'm not even gonna bother with this anymore because you just dont get the point that no matter what other console maker we are talking about, none of them milk a franchise like Nintendo milk Mario!

Sega never released untold Sonic titles a year, Sony never released untold Lara Croft titles a year and Microsoft never released (err what is Microsofts flagship franchise character anyway?).

For all the originality Nintendo have shown with the system itself, they still show no originality with their games.

If this were films, would it be ok for UA to release 5 Batman films a year because everyother movie company is releasing other films?

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Sega never released untold Sonic titles a year, Sony never released untold Lara Croft titles a year and Microsoft never released (err what is Microsofts flagship franchise character anyway?).

Halo, then Gears of War...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I'm not even gonna bother with this anymore because you just dont get the point that no matter what other console maker we are talking about, none of them milk a franchise like Nintendo milk Mario!

nintendo makes a lot of mario games. we've covered that. we've also covered that there are many other games being created. but you're ignoring that, in favor of revisiting the first topic.

then you said that the point i was missing was...

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
only 13 games are sposed to be releases, and a third of them are from the same franchise. Where is the originality?

the response was that of the 13 games, 4 were mario based. thats a lot, sure (see point 1). However, that means the rest were not (see point 2). 5 of them were entirely new IPs, some were new genres. thats in a single year of development.

how many other developers come out with 5 entirely new games in one year? how many even hit 2?

is your argument that the nintendo reputation and sense of originality would be stronger (as per the nowhereman and pariah aliance) if they simply crossed those mario titles off the list, and released the rest as is?

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
ps3's titles, my dear... y'know... you, are filled with sequels, just as much as the next guy's. new worlds and genres and titles aren't as common place as they used to be, because development costs have grown exponentially.

Playstation has a much larger variety of genres with differing characters going for them and not every game that keeps its own individual series of games crosses over with another game. To put it more simply: There's never gonna be a "Solid Snake Party" let alone 10 of them. None of the Playstation characters have required crossover events to make things interesting--They never needed a Super Smash Brothers.

The Sony division has kept re-occurring franchises, but you can't possibly compare them to the Mario phenomenon--And before you bring up: Madden isn't representative as one of the best selling PS games out there; it's name is not automatically associated with Sony like Mario's name is associated with Nintendo.

Quote:

there are a large number of new worlds, new "art", you just don't notice those as much as the "mario" ones.

Which is exactly my point: The Nintendo market is saturated with Mario and Mario type characters with Mario crossovers where all of them get together play the same ol' shit over and over. Aside from Conker, which is from a decade ago, all those other games live under a shadow of Mario mediocrity.

Quote:

a sequel!

That's one sequel. And it's been about 3 and a half years since the first. This is opposed to one or two sequels every year with the same engine over and over.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
why is this just becoming another "I love sony" vs "I love nintendo" thread?

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
To put it more simply: There's never gonna be a "Solid Snake Party" let alone 10 of them. {SNIP} The Sony division has kept re-occurring franchises, but you can't possibly compare them to the Mario phenomenon--And before you bring up: Madden isn't representative as one of the best selling PS games out there; it's name is not automatically associated with Sony like Mario's name is associated with Nintendo.

i agree with parts of that

but a major distinction to note is that nintendo MAKES mario games. they're not just a hardware company, they develop software and own the licenses to a number of franchises, which they are free to mix and match. nintendo titles are also not the only titles that appear on nintendo consoles. in fact, its a small percentage of the overall library.

sony does not make madden or gta or tomb raider. they are games that appear on sony, and sometimes microsoft and nintendo. but playstation doesn't own the licenses of most of these properties. the reason snake wouldn't cross promote with lara croft in a new game is because the licensors generally wouldn't allow it.

if you're comparing software companies, you can't speak with sony vs nintendo -- its capcom vs nintendo, or rockstar vs nintendo

Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

fire emblem, disaster, brain age, wii sports/play, conker, project hammer, pikmin, nintendogs, animal crossing, baten kaitos, advance / batallion wars, eternal darkness, viewtiful joe, blue, etc.

Aside from Conker, which is from a decade ago, all those other games live under a shadow of Mario mediocrity.

not a single game mentioned relates to mario, or the mario universe, in any way. if you're knocking the quality, thats totally your call, but there's literally no similarilty or references shared between the titles.

Quote:

Knutreturns said:
why is this just becoming another "I love sony" vs "I love nintendo" thread?

its a video game thread. it has to!

quite honestly, im not trying to overtly pick on anything or even defend anything, though thats often how it comes across. im just trying to clarify various points of difference in opinions.

plus, i just like the discussion, cuz i loves me the video games, and this is a forum often left empty.

giant picture
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
yeah, take that! you empty fuckin forum!

on a sidenote, one a my boys brought his wii over to a friends house. gotta say... some pretty fun shit. and no mario!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
7 Search Spiders.
Search Spider Last Activity Location
Google 07/03/10 11:37 PM Reading a post
Forum: Games and Tech
Thread: Nintendo Announces 2007 Wii Lineup: Metroid, Mario, and Smash in '07?

Link Copied to Clipboard