Next Thread
Print Thread
#811112 2007-05-28 2:39 PM
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Seriously. Looks like Americans aren't the only ones to hold the "ugly" title anymore. And the whole not tipping your waitress because you don't do it at home is a huge pet peeve of mine. Read a Foder's or a Lonely Planet you ignorant fucks! They'll tell you about the local customs, courtesies, culture, etc... Feigning ignorance about things like that pisses me off to no end. And abruptly stopping on a crowded sidewalk and getting annoyed because people slam into you because you suddently stopped to take a picture? Fuck you. Anyway, I could go on a full on rant, but I'll just get to the article instead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/weekinreview/27vite.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

They Came, They Toured, They Offended

By PAUL VITELLO
Published: May 27, 2007
EVERY summer, people all over the world become acquainted again with a deep truth spoken by the philosopher-tourist Steve Martin.

He was speaking for tourists everywhere, not just to France, when he said: “Boy, those French, they have a different word for everything!”

That people from different countries observe different customs — not only of speaking, but of eating, sleeping, gesturing, counting change, observing boundaries of personal space, tipping cab drivers, standing in lines, avoiding certain topics of conversation at dinnertime as unbearably disgusting — is a truism one probably can never be reminded of too often.

Especially this year, which according to statistics compiled by New York City, is likely to be a very big year for foreign tourists around here. The dollar is cheap. The shopping is endless. And about seven million foreign visitors are expected in the city — the highest number since before 9/11 — mainly from Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Scandinavia and Germany.

This is good news for New York, of course. Foreigners who vacation in the United States spend about four times as much as American tourists do.

But it is bad news only in those isolated cases (which you hear about if you talk to cabbies, tour guides and certain sarcastic individuals in sales) where the awe of Mr. Martin’s revelation is supplanted by the ugly reality of a culture clash — a tip denied, a personal boundary violated, or a long line at a drug store counter jumped by a family of Italian-speaking people, who forever thereafter shall be remembered by the offended party present (an acquaintance of mine) as those “ugly Europeans.”

Let it be said that no group holds a monopoly on the title of “ugly.” Tip-stiffing, line-jumping, excessive price-haggling, sidewalk-blocking-when-stopping-suddenly-to-take-pictures-of-a-person-playing-the-steel-drums — none of these are unique to any national group.

Expedia, the online travel service, conducted a survey of tourist boards around the world that rated British tourists as the most obnoxious. Some people in the tourism world claim that the Chinese, the newest wave of world travelers, are even more so.

Whatever. Is it time, at least, for retiring the term “ugly American” from the dictionary of foreign phrases?

The answer, according to experts in the rarified field of tourism anthropology, is a possible yes.

“Ugly” behavior in tourists is almost always in the eye of the people being toured; and Americans are no longer the only, or even the dominant group of tourists out in the world. We are now as often toured as tour-ing.

And New Yorkers, it turns out, are just as likely to be exasperated being toured by tourists unfamiliar with their local mores about tipping or standing in check-out lines, say, as the Achuar tribesmen of Ecuador are to be offended by tourists who sit on certain sacred rocks.

“The Achuars have actually developed a list of rules for tourists,” said Sharon Gmelch, an anthropology professor at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y. “If you are a man, you are not to look directly at a woman, for example. You are not to sit in certain sacred places, or touch anyone’s person. You’re not to take pictures without asking permission. Some of these rules might work in New York, too, I would imagine.”

Nelson H. H. Graburn, a professor of anthropology at the University of California at Berkeley, said one of his graduate students recently asked tour guides in China to rate the tourists from various Western countries.

“They told her that Israeli, French and American tourists could be the most difficult,” Professor Graburn said, “but that what distinguished Americans was that they could be loud and demanding, and then would invariably apologize and give them big tips.”

To be an ugly tourist is to miss the fundamental truth in Mr. Martin’s statement. “It is to have an overall lack of understanding that there is such a thing as cultural difference,” wrote Prof. Inga Treitler, the secretary for the National Association for the Practice of Anthropology, in an e-mail message.

Valene Smith, an anthropology professor at California State University at Chico who pioneered the academic study of tourism and travel in the 1970s, said that the tourists most likely to be deplored by their hosts these days are not the euro-rich Europeans or the British or the standard ugly Americans but the Chinese.

“They have only been traveling widely in the last five years or so, but they are touring in numbers no one has seen before — by the thousands,” she said. “They behave as they would at home — there is a lot of pushing and shoving. Very few speak languages other than Chinese.”

Last summer, in an incident widely discussed among travel experts, she said, 40,000 Chinese tourists descended on the small German city of Trier to visit the birthplace of Karl Marx.

“It was quite a mess,” Professor Smith said. “No one was prepared ahead of time. The Germans were quite upset.”

And so, my fellow Americans, this summer let us host and be hosted as travelers in a world in which we are no longer alone; a world where we can venture forth with the unschooled of other nations, and join hand in hand in ignorance of all the different words those French have for everything!

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
yeah! and fuck fanny packs too!

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
IN THE FANNY!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
YEAH!

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
you realize "Fanny" has a different meaning in Europe. . .

Grimm #811117 2007-05-28 6:55 PM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Oh yeah? Well, you can go eat snails, Frenchie!

Grimm #811118 2007-05-28 6:57 PM
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
you realize "Fanny" has a different meaning in Europe. . .

Yeah! It's an old lady's name!

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
you're close, but think more "eating clams" than snails. ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grimm #811120 2007-05-28 6:59 PM
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
yeah, the "little front-back," as Tank Girl puts it.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Uschi #811121 2007-05-28 7:12 PM
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
so your gonna show your snatch?

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
YOU should follow suit. We might as well get the ball rollin' with the open-minded ladies...

He fixes the cable?
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

oh, did you miss that one? Yeah, done and done.

furry? teethes?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Uschi #811124 2007-05-28 7:59 PM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts

He fixes the cable?
Uschi #811125 2007-05-28 8:54 PM
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

furry? teethes?

Yeah, that was a great if a little bit scary picture of your snatch...

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
the legend of the sarlac snatch continues...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Some legends are based on fact.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
(shudders...)

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

furry? teethes?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
(shudders...)

Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

furry? teethes?

Gah!

But that's not it...

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
wow...uschi's snatch looks just like a red x...

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
a LEGENDARY red x

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
well that makes all the difference...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

furry? teethes?

http://www.rkmbs.com/showflat.php/Number/526222#526222

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
do i really wanna click on that?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
C'mon! It's funny!

Even after all this time it still makes me laugh!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

dayum! Well looks like Uschi's got the greatest defense against rape evar!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
wow we took this thread from hatred of tourist to sarlac snatch in under 3 pages. thats gotta be a record...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I still hate most tourists....

tah dah!

There! back on topic!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said (emphasis added):
Valene Smith, an anthropology professor at California State University at Chico who pioneered the academic study of tourism and travel in the 1970s, said that the tourists most likely to be deplored by their hosts these days are not the euro-rich Europeans or the British or the standard ugly Americans but the Chinese.

“They have only been traveling widely in the last five years or so, but they are touring in numbers no one has seen before — by the thousands,” she said. “They behave as they would at home — there is a lot of pushing and shoving. Very few speak languages other than Chinese.”

They come in thousand-packs and they come in million-packs. No returns or refunds, just more and more and more exchanges. You wanted to know what nation cranks out the world's thinnest condoms; there's your answer.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:

anti-rape device

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Knutreturns said:

anti-rape device

uschi better get her share of the profits. clearly she helped with the prototype...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Knutreturns said:

anti-rape device

Dayum...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

notwedge said:
a LEGENDARY red x

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Uschi #811146 2007-05-28 9:56 PM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
eWwWwWw!

He fixes the cable?

Link Copied to Clipboard