Next Thread
Print Thread
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Last month, we told you about Francis Manapul signing on to Legion of Super-Heroes with #37, and at the time, he couldn’t name the writer. Shooter is that writer.

Newsarama

Yeah!

I'm surprised there sticking with the last reboot but with Shooter on the title it might not feel like a reboot anymore. The new costumes even lean more towards the Cockrumn/Grell era.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2007-09-09 1:03 AM.

Fair play!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
This could be the best thing to happen to the Legion since Adventure Comics #346 and 347 ... when Shooter first started writing the Legion!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

I Feel Pretty, So NeoCon Pretty
500+ posts
500+ posts
You guys should invite all those Legion posters back and celebrate!

Rob can do a "Poster Phoenix" special starting with THIS guy--starhavenite@yahoo.com !

Have 'em bring socks for Rex and dickchicks for Par(I'mnotgay)iah!

It'll be a 31st-cen. HOOTENANNY!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
If Shooter's writing LEGION, I'll have to give it a look. I stopped buying the series even before Waid left the current series, which started off well under Waid and Kitson, but kind of lost its way.

Shooter started his career writing Legion in ADVENTURE COMICS in the mid/late 1960's (issues 346-380, and then ACTION 378-384, the two together running from from 1966-1969). And Shooter had another stint on SUPERBOY/LEGION from 209-224, in 1974-1976.

So hopefully Shooter's new work on the LEGION series will be inspired work. I haven't really cared about LEGION since the Levitz era ended. But it would be nice if Shooter could return it to greatness.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11922

Quote:
In 2008, the Legion of Superheroes celebrates their 50th anniversary as defenders of the 31st Century, and who better to helm the time traveling team than Jim Shooter, the writer synonymous with the title during its glory years in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Scheduled to return with issue #137 in December, Jim Shooter told CBR News he has huge plans for DC Comics' “Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes” and their milestone anniversary.
“My first arc is 16 issues. As far as I know, I'll continue on the ‘Legion of Superheroes' after that,” revealed Shooter. “We have several big, actually huge events planned for the first storyline, worthy, I think, of the 50th anniversary year for the Legion. I can't tell you those. I can tell you that the Legion and the Legionnaires will grow and evolve, but everyone says similar things about whatever series they're writing, don't they?

"Supergirl & The Legion of Super-Heroes" art by Francis Manapal
“I can tell you that many of the things I liked about the Legion way back when will become more important, like the membership tryouts, the councils and the missions to fantastic worlds. There'll be a new take on the Legion Academy. I'm also introducing the Legion Reserves. Night Girl will be reintroduced as one of that group. There'll be lots of new characters. A few will depart. There will be lots of new worlds, new technologies, new revelations about the 31st Century and beyond. I hope that by the end of the first arc people feel that every issue was significant, that the series has evolved dramatically, and for the better.”

How's that for a sales pitch?

Shooter, who would go on to become Editor-In-Chief at Marvel between 1978 and 1987, made his first big splash in comics as a 14 year-old when he successfully pitched DC Comics four Legion stories in 1966. Beginning with “Adventure Comics” #346, the four books introduced some of the team's most beloved characters including Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Ferro Lad, and one of their classic super villains, Universo.

“My first stint started 42 years ago, but I did write a few stories for [editor] Murray Boltinoff in the mid-seventies, so it's been only 31 years since I wrote the Legion,” quipped Shooter. “About ten years ago, I discussed with Paul Levitz possibly doing a Legion project, which I referred to as ‘Jim Shooter's Last Legion Story.' The idea was that it would be a ten or 12 issue story featuring ‘my' Legion of Super-heroes of the 1960s, an untold story from my run on the series back then, so as not to interfere with anyone else's continuity. Apparently, a few editorial people at DC objected to my working there, ultimately they got their way and the project never happened.”

Known for its sizable roster, Shooter said the Legion's membership will remain status quo, for a little while anyways. “At the beginning, the roster will be the same as those at the end of the Waid and Bedard runs,” teased Shooter. “Atom Girl, Brainiac 5, Chameleon, Colossal Boy, Dreamer, Element Lad, Invisible Kid, Karate Kid, Light Lass, Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl, Princess Projectra, Saturn Girl, Shadow Lass, Star Boy, Timber Wolf, Triplicate Girl and Ultra Boy. I think that's all. The roster soon changes, though.”

Shooter says that like a proud parent, he loves each of the Legionnaires equally, but when pushed, he would have to go back to the beginning to choose a favorite. “I know it sounds like an evasive answer, but I get involved in whichever character or characters I'm writing at the moment, and at that moment, they're my favorite, and I can't imagine a better character,” said Shooter. “But if you pressed me to pick favorites objectively, I suppose I'd go with the original three: Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy.”

That being said, Shooter says his run does not tie directly into Geoff Johns' upcoming Legion story in “Action Comics,” which will feature the team's three founding members, nor will it touch on “Lightning Saga” or “Final Crisis,” for that matter.

“Because ‘The Legion of Super-Heroes' is 1,000 years in the future, and, in a way, its own little universe , the book isn't as involved with the big crossover stories as most other titles, though the effects will be felt,” explained Shooter. “We haven't really tied-in with the 'Lightning Saga' or 'Action Comics' much, but thanks to on-the-ball editor Mike Marts, we've coordinated with them pretty well, I think.”

Shooter says the Legion having their own corner of DCU to protect is part of the team's strength, but the tangential line connecting the team to its premier players defines the Legion, as well. “The Legion of Superheroes is as limitless as tomorrow,” Shooter declared. “We have a little corner of the DC Universe pretty much to ourselves. Therefore, we can keep our continuity tight and our world consistent. We have all the advantages of being part of the same mythos that contains Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, et al, but very little of the burden.”

Never one to back down from a challenge, Shooter has high hopes for “Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes,” his first major project for DC Comics in nearly 20 years. “My goal is to make “Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes” the most relevant and most important title,” stated Shooter. “Don't laugh. We've got a terrific editor, a great penciler, an outstanding inker and a wonderful basic concept, young heroes in a fantastic future. I figure if I just pull my weight...”

The penciler on the book is Francis Manapul and the inker is John Livesay. “Francis is amazing. He's a rising star,” said Shooter. “He draws wonderfully well. He's a storyteller. He's a dramatist. His work is dazzling. It has that innate appeal Stan [Lee] used to call ‘glamour.' Few times in my many years have I been as eager to see what the penciler did with my script as I am with Francis and I've worked with some very heavy-duty Hall-of-Famers.”

Shooter, who keeps busy working for Illustrated Media, a company that produces comics for advertising, promotions and premiums, says now that he is back writing for DC, he's be open to writing any of the company's big hitters. “I'd enjoy writing pretty much any of the household name characters. But, I'm also open to new things. Right now, the Legion is keeping me busy, but maybe down the road a ways, I'll take on something else,” said Shooter.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
This bullshit Logan's Run Legion really needs to be discarded in favor of the badass classic Legion currently running around the 21st century DCU.

To continue on with such a lousy premise (adults=bad, kids =good + all potential Legionnaires) is a stupid setting to base a continuity in.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Borrowing this section from the Jim Shooter interview topic:

Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
  • THE EARLY DAYS, 1966-1970

TIM HARTNETT, SilverBullet : ...How did you acquire your fascination with the medium?

JAMES SHOOTER: I read comics as a kid in the fifties. Got bored with them around age eight. When I was about 12, I discovered the then-new Marvel Comics, and got very much interested again. Those early Marvels started what has become a lifetime passion.

TH: You entered the industry at a rather early age. How did this come about?

JS: I had the crazy idea that if I could learn to write like Stan Lee, I could sell comics scripts to DC since their comics, I thought, weren't nearly as good as the Marvels of the time. So, I spent a year literally studying comics trying to suss out what I liked, what I didn't, and why. Then, when I thought I was ready, at age 13, I wrote a Legion of Super-Heroes script with rough layouts (because I had no idea what the proper format for a comics script was) and sent it to DC Comics. Editor Mort Weisinger wrote back and asked me to send him another story. I sent a two-parter. The he called, bought all three, and gave me an assignment to write a Supergirl story. I never lacked for work from DC for the next five years. I worked my way though high school.

TH: During your run on Legion of Super-Heroes, you wanted to introduce one of the first Black superheroes but the idea was shot down?

JS: Ferro Lad (who was masked, remember) was supposed to be black. My plan was that when this was revealed, no one would bat an eye---it would be a total non-issue as one might expect in the enlightened future. Mort vetoed it on the grounds that if we had a black character ID wholesaler distributors in the South would refuse to carry DC Comics. Hmf.

TH: What about the Legion being the first comic to have a "drug" story?

JS: I believe it was. The "Lotus Fruit" story starring Timber Wolf [ACTION COMICS 378, July 1969] I think was rejected by the Comics Code. We had to eviscerate the ending and way downplay the obvious drug reference to get it into print. Stan ran his Spider-man drug story, which I think -- not sure -- came soon after without the Code Seal, a risky thing to do in those days.

TH: While at DC, you worked on some pretty hefty properties. Superman comes to mind in the '70s. What did you get from your time at DC that later helped you in your tenure as EIC of Marvel? Why did you decide to leave DC? Did DC have an "A-list writers get A-list books, B-list writers get B-list books" system similar to the one you scrapped when you first came to Marvel?

JS: The first script I submitted was a Legion of Super Heroes script. Legion of Superheroes and all "Superman family" books were under Mort's purview and as a writer in his stable that's what I wrote. There was no such thing as A-list or B-list. You were competent or you weren't. The point which I carried with me to Marvel was to find the writer best suited for each book. I demonstrated to Mort I guess that I could write any Superman family book. Mort not only taught me a lot about the creative side of comics, but also about the business -- managing a creative organization, art production, separations, printing, licensing, merchandising, media, advertising, and more. I think he was grooming [me] for editorial/management work someday. All of what I learned from him and others at DC was useful to me at Marvel.

This is one of the few times I'm optimistic about a creator returning to a series he formerly worked on. Shooter did quite a bit to develop the Legion's continuity during his run (ADVENTURE COMICS issues 346-380, and ACTION COMICS 378, 380-382, 384, together spanning from July 1966-Jan 1970) and make it more engaging to read, injecting a Lee/Kirby brand of dynamic storytelling to the series.

I hope Shooter is able to resurrect some semblance of the 35-year continuity that existed until the series was scrapped, or "re-booted" in 1994 after the "Zero Hour" crossover event.
Of the 37 Legion members established in the original series from 1958-1994, only 7 were created after 1968. And Shooter introduced quite a few of the series' enduring heroes and villains.

Here's a fun website that nostalgically explores the 60's-era continuity, with story chronology, covers, checklists, and a lot of art panels displayed from those stories:

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
This bullshit Logan's Run Legion really needs to be discarded in favor of the badass classic Legion currently running around the 21st century DCU.

To continue on with such a lousy premise (adults=bad, kids =good + all potential Legionnaires) is a stupid setting to base a continuity in.

I agree.

Here's hoping Jim Shooter can fix all that.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Borrowing this section from the Jim Shooter interview topic:

• THE EARLY DAYS, 1966-1970

TIM HARTNETT, SilverBullet : ...How did you acquire your fascination with the medium?

JAMES SHOOTER: I read comics as a kid in the fifties. Got bored with them around age eight. When I was about 12, I discovered the then-new Marvel Comics, and got very much interested again. Those early Marvels started what has become a lifetime passion.

TH: You entered the industry at a rather early age. How did this come about?

JS: I had the crazy idea that if I could learn to write like Stan Lee, I could sell comics scripts to DC since their comics, I thought, weren't nearly as good as the Marvels of the time. So, I spent a year literally studying comics trying to suss out what I liked, what I didn't, and why. Then, when I thought I was ready, at age 13, I wrote a Legion of Super-Heroes script with rough layouts (because I had no idea what the proper format for a comics script was) and sent it to DC Comics. Editor Mort Weisinger wrote back and asked me to send him another story. I sent a two-parter. The he called, bought all three, and gave me an assignment to write a Supergirl story. I never lacked for work from DC for the next five years. I worked my way though high school.

TH: During your run on Legion of Super-Heroes, you wanted to introduce one of the first Black superheroes but the idea was shot down?

JS: Ferro Lad (who was masked, remember) was supposed to be black. My plan was that when this was revealed, no one would bat an eye---it would be a total non-issue as one might expect in the enlightened future. Mort vetoed it on the grounds that if we had a black character ID wholesaler distributors in the South would refuse to carry DC Comics. Hmf.
    TH: What about the Legion being the first comic to have a "drug" story?

JS: I believe it was. The "Lotus Fruit" story starring Timber Wolf [ACTION COMICS 378, July 1969] I think was rejected by the Comics Code. We had to eviscerate the ending and way downplay the obvious drug reference to get it into print. Stan ran his Spider-man drug story, which I think -- not sure -- came soon after without the Code Seal, a risky thing to do in those days.

TH: While at DC, you worked on some pretty hefty properties. Superman comes to mind in the '70s. What did you get from your time at DC that later helped you in your tenure as EIC of Marvel? Why did you decide to leave DC? Did DC have an "A-list writers get A-list books, B-list writers get B-list books" system similar to the one you scrapped when you first came to Marvel?

JS: The first script I submitted was a Legion of Super Heroes script. Legion of Superheroes and all "Superman family" books were under Mort's purview and as a writer in his stable that's what I wrote. There was no such thing as A-list or B-list. You were competent or you weren't. The point which I carried with me to Marvel was to find the writer best suited for each book. I demonstrated to Mort I guess that I could write any Superman family book. Mort not only taught me a lot about the creative side of comics, but also about the business -- managing a creative organization, art production, separations, printing, licensing, merchandising, media, advertising, and more. I think he was grooming for editorial/management work someday. All of what I learned from his and others at DC was useful to me at Marvel.

This is one of the few times I'm optimistic about a former creator returning to a series he formerly worked on. Shooter did quite a bit to develop the Legion's continuity during his run (ADVENTURE COMICS issues 346-380, and ACTION COMICS 378, 380-382, 384, together spanning from July/1966-Jan 1970) and make it more engaging to read, injecting a Lee/Kirby brand of dynamic storytelling to the series.

I hope Shooter is able to resurrect some semblance of the 35-year continuity that existed until the series was scrapped, or "re-booted" in 1994 after the "Zero Hour" crossover event.
Of the 33 Legion members established in the original series from 1958-1994, only 5 were created after 1968. And Shooter introduced quite a few of the series' enduring heroes and villains.

Here's a fun website that nostalgically explores the 60's-era continuity, with story chronology, covers, checklists, and a lot of art panels displayed from those stories:

I had heard a rumor that Ferro Lad was supposed to be black, now I know for sure. I bet it might have been okay had DC gone with that idea back in 1966.

Or maybe not..

But they should have brought Ferro Lad back in the post Zero hour reboot as being black.. I am certain that 1994 Southern states would have handled a black Legionairre just fine.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

One of the best racial stories I ever read in comics was in WEIRD FANTASY 18, "Judgement Day" written by Al Feldstein, with art by Joe Orlando. Cover-dated March-April 1953.

It's about an Earth astronaut who travels to a planet of robots, and there's segregation on the planet between orange robots and blue robots.

This was published at a time when segregation in the deep South was in full swing, and the tensions were running particularly high. I recall reading a commentary by Gaines that they lost some distribution for the story, but were willing to, because they were very proud of the story.
And rightly so.
I consider it the single best story E.C. ever published.

I first read it in the 1975 DC fanzine, AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS # 6, a special tribute-issue to Joe Orlando, and that was the representative art sample of his work, that he himself chose to run with that issue.
It lost a bit in black and white, but even in that limited form, it was very powerful.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
A 1953 story about prejudiced between orange and blue robots.

Love to have read that story, it sounds great and was way ahead of it's time.

There is a Deep Space Nine episode called " Far Beyond The Stars." It deals with Sisko in a hallucination where he is a sci fi writer in 1953 and wants to write a story about a space station where the Captain is black.

His editor is fired for approving the story and Sisko is carted off in an ambulance to the mental ward of a hospital for being so insistant on the story being published.

Avery Brooks did an excellent job of portraying that character. It was an awesome episode.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

There's inexpensive WEIRD SCIENCE and WEIRD FANTASY facsimile reprints, done in the early 90's that you can get at pretty much cover price.

And DC Archives just produced hardcovers of these issues too.

I have a few facsimile issues, and also the black and white 11" x 14" Complete EC Library hardcover sets of all these issues, from back before they started reproducing them in color.

And of course, every Legion story up through the Grell issues (202-224) are also available in Legion hardcovers. 12 volumes, so far.

I wish they'd reprint those later issues in hardcover, from 225-306. The late 70s stories have some of the worst printing in comics history, and it would be great to see them nicely printed for the first time.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
To firmly establish my geekery, I compiled this chronological list of characters, the issue they were first introduced in the Legion series, and cover-date, and the writers/artists who created them, in numbered order of appearance (the ones who first appeared in the same issue I numbered in alphabetical order):

• (1) Cosmic Boy,
    (2) Lightning Lad,
    (3) Saturn Girl,
    (4) Superboy..............ADVENTURE COMICS 247, 4/1958....... (by Otto Binder/Al Plastino)

(5) Chameleon Boy,
    (6) Colossal Boy,
    (7) Invisible Kid,
    (8) Supergirl................ACTION 267, 8/1960 ................ (by Jerry Siegel/George Papp)

(9) Star Boy...............ADVENTURE COMICS 282, 3/1961......... (by Otto Binder/George Papp)

(10) Bouncing Boy,
    (11) Braniac 5,
    (12) Duo Damsel,
    (13) Phantom Girl,
    (14) Shrinking Violet,
    (15) Sunboy,
    (+ Supergirl officially joins).......ACTION 276, 5/1961..........(Siegel/Jim Mooney)

(16) Mon-El...................SUPERBOY 89, 6/1961..........( Robert Bernstein / Papp )

(17) Ultra Boy................SUPERBOY 98, 7/1962........ ( Siegel/ Swan/Klein)

These are all from just 13 scattered appearances up to this point over the first 5 years. The group already has 17 members, and they don't even have a regular series yet !

Their first regular series begins with their next (14th) appearance, in ADVENTURE COMICS 300, dated 9/1962.

(18)Matter-Eater Lad........ADVENTURE COMICS 303, 12/1962.....( Siegel/John Forte)

(19)Element Lad..............ADVENTURE 307, 4/1963.........(Edmond Hamilton/ Forte)

(20) Light Lass
    (originally Lightning Lass).........ADVENTURE 308, May 1963....... (Hamilton/ Forte)

(21) Dream Girl............ ADVENTURE COMICS 317, 2/1964.....(Hamilton/Forte)

(22) Timberwolf............. ADVENTURE COMICS 327, 12/1964.....(Hamilton/Forte)

(23) Ferro Lad,
    (24) Karate Kid,
    (25) Princess Projectra..... ADVENTURE COMICS 346, 7/1966......(Jim Shooter/Sheldon Moldoff)

(26) White Witch.............ADVENTURE COMICS 351, 12/1966.....(Shooter/Swan/Klein)
    (not made a member till LSH 292, in 10/1982!)

(27) Chemical King...........ADVENTURE COMICS 354, 3/1967.......(Shooter/Swan/Klein)
    (a cameo appearance, first introduced in the regular storyline in ADVENTURE 371, 8/1968)

(28) Shadow Lass.............ADVENTURE COMICS 354, 3/1967.......(Shooter/Swan/Klein)
    (a cameo appearance, first introduced in the regular storyline in ADVENTURE 365, 2/1968)

(29) Wildfire................SUPERBOY 195, 6/1973...............(Cary Bates/Dave Cockrum)

(30) Tyroc...................SUPERBOY 216, 4/1976...............(Bates, Mike Grell)

(31) Dawnstar................SUPERBOY 226, 4/1977................(Paul Levitz/Jim Sherman/Jack Abel)

(32) Blok....................SUPERBOY 253, 7/1979................(Gerry Conway/Joe Staton)

(33) Invisible Kid (II) ..........LEGION OF SUPERHEROES ANNUAL 1, 1982....(Levitz/Giffen/Patterson)

Of the 37 members, only 7 were introduced after 1968 (Quislet, Tellus, Cosmic Boy's brother Magnetic Kid (or Pol), and Polar Boy were added as members the same issue in 1985. I still have to check their first appearance dates before adding them.)

• [ added: ]
    (34) Magnetic Kid......ADVENTURE COMICS 357, 6/1967.....(Shooter/Swan/Klein)
    (but not added as a member until (3rd series) LEGION 14 , 9/1985.......by Levitz/Lightle/DeCarlo)

(35) Polar Boy......ADVENTURE COMICS 306, 3/1963......(Hamilton/Forte)
    (added to the Legion finally in (3rd series) LEGION 14, 9/1985..... by Levitz/Lightle/DeCarlo)

(36) Tellus.................(3rd series) LEGION 14, 9/1985.....(Levitz/Lightle/DeCarlo)

(37) Quislet................(3rd series)LEGION 14, 9/1985......(Levitz/Lightle/DeCarlo)

And 6 of the members were added by Jim Shooter, as well as a number of other supporting characters and villains that became the core of Legion's heralded continuity: The Khunds, Mordru, The Fatal Five, Universo, Rond Vidar, the Dark Circle, the Heroes of Lallor, and the Legion's fortress headquarters.

Shooter did a lot to fully establish the Legion. I hope he can do a good part to bring them back to greatness again.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Shadow Lass - Adventure Comics # 365

Chemical King Adventure # 371

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Sorry, Beardguy, I was interrupted mid-list, and edited my post to conclude it, after you posted.

You're right about Chemical King first appearing in-continuity in ADVENTURE 371, 8/1968 (by Shooter/Swan/Abel). That was the first appearance of Chemical King in continuity, introduced in the Legion's regular story-line.

The earlier ADVENTURE 354 appearance was in what was essentially an "imaginary" story, of the "adult Legion", that may or may not come to pass, and was just a commemorative statue of dead Legion members who died in action, in the distant future. Introducing a character that would be developed later.

But ADVENTURE 354 was still chronologically the first issue to have an appearance by Chemical King.
But continuity-wise, you're right, ADVENTURE 371 is where the character was fully introduced.

That was a tough one!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I read the Legion from about late 1963 to about 1972, when, at age 15, I was told "Only sick ( Re: Mental. ) people and little children read comics" , and was urged to quit them.

I started reading the Legion again in 1980, at age 23. I quit comics altogether in 1989 when enough of my favorite titles were cancelled or went downhill.

Now? I have the Legion Archives books 5,6,7,8. and 9.

Love em! I read those comcs ( Adventure Comics featuring Superboy and The Legion Of Super Heroes issues 340 - 380, and a year or so of the LSH's Action era, too. I might buy books 1 - 4, and 10 - 12 someday.

I used to write and draw my own Legion comics. It was fun.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Oh, and, once I learned to read in 1963, the Legion was the very first comic book I ever read. It was Adventure Comics # 314 - the one where the Legion was trying to bring Lightning Lad back from the dead.

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
It must have been fun to watch the series develop almost from the beginning as you have, Beardguy, with the continuity that built on the original series from 1958-1994.

I began reading myself with SUPERBOY 197 (1973), which was a great point to begin reading, as the series moved at that point from a few scattered backup stories into a full-fledged bi-monthly series under Bates/Cockrum. I loved the Cockrum and Grell issues, and lost interest after Grell left the series. Although I remained a huge fan of Grell's THE WARLORD series.

I actually quit collecting when I was 15 and felt I'd "outgrown" comics.
I'd stopped collecting with WARLORD 13, and a year or so later I was in a 7-11 and saw WARLORD 22 on the stand, and on a lark I picked up. And I was hooked again.
With access to a car that I saved to purchase when I turned 16, I sought out comic book stores, first collecting a complete Kirby run of KAMANDI 1-40, then Kirby's FOREVER PEOPLE, NEW GODS, MR MIRACLE, JIMMY OLSEN, DEMON and OMAC runs. Then I got all the Neal Adams DC books, and expanded from there.

I actually didn't start reading LEGION again till 1982, after I heard good things about Giffen's work on the series, purchased issue 290 off the stands, and enjoyed it so much I quickly worked my way back to issue 284 (where Levitz's second run began, far superior to his earlier 20-or-so-issue run that began with 225).

Since then, I've accumulated a complete run of Legion stories back to ADVENTURE 340-380, ACTION 378-392, SUPERBOY 172-258, LEGION (2nd series)259-325, LEGION (3rd series)1-63, and LEGION (4th series/five-year-gap)1-61 !
And scattered issues of ADVENTURE before that.

It's really fun to see how the series evolved. And I didn't fully see how well the Levitz/Giffen run drew such great continuity with the earliest Legion stories until I picked up these early issues.
The same is true of Byrne's FANTASTIC FOUR, Stern/Romita Jr's AMAZING SPIDERMAN, Mantlo/Hannigan's SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN, and Simonson's THOR, all great new series that simultaneously capture the flavor of the earliest runs on those series.

I may at some point get the first two hardcover LEGION volumes, just because the earliest appearances are so hard to find, were so scattered, and are now fairly high-priced. I could have 20 stories in hardcover, for the cost of what 2 of those issues would cost in decent condition.
But most of these issues, if you get them in good condition, are 5 dollars or less each, especially at a convention. So it's not that expensive to get them in the original form.

It's a fun series, that shows how characters in a series can evolve, across several decades and severals teams of writers and artists, especially when those creators have a clear love for the earlier work. Tom and Mary Bierbaum, Colleen Doran and other later writers and artists on the series have letters and art published in these earlier issues. You can see their evolution from fans to professionals on the characters they love.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Sorry, Beardguy, I was interrupted mid-list, and edited my post to conclude it, after you posted.

You're right about Chemical King first appearing in-continuity in ADVENTURE 371, 8/1968 (by Shooter/Swan/Abel). That was the first appearance of Chemical King in continuity, introduced in the Legion's regular story-line.

The earlier ADVENTURE 354 appearance was in what was essentially an "imaginary" story, of the "adult Legion", that may or may not come to pass, and was just a commemorative statue of dead Legion members who died in action, in the distant future. Introducing a character that would be developed later.

But ADVENTURE 354 was still chronologically the first issue to have an appearance by Chemical King.
But continuity-wise, you're right, ADVENTURE 371 is where the character was fully introduced.

That was a tough one!

I just thought, that Shadow Lass appeared the same way. In ADVENTURE COMICS 354 (the imaginary "adult Legion" story) she had a cameo as "Shadow Woman" for a panel or two, as a commemorative statue in the future Legion "hall of dead legionnaires".
And wasn't mentioned again until she was introduced in the main storyline, in ADVENTURE 365.

The concepts for the characters were created, and then developed later, in both cases. But they were both dead before they were even introduced !

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You might be interested in the Adventure digest series that reprinted the early Legion series in order WB. Besides the stories Paul Levitz offered commentary on each story that I found really interesting. The issue before Matter-eater Lad joined, he pointed out that Tenz was actually in the previous story listening to Bouncing Boy's secret origon. Sure enough there is an applicant in a different costume with a giant mouth on his shirt. It also reprinted a couple that didn't make the archive series. Besides that the digest ran Aquaman, Shazam & a couple of other heroes. Whoever was picking stuff to reprint really did a good job.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
A nice suggestion, MEM.
I was planning to get the hardcover Archive books for the earliest stories. But with the introductions you mention, I'll give these a look.

For the reason you mention, I have CEREBUS both in the collected "phone book" trades, as well as the four issues per volume earlier SWORDS OF CEREBUS books.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
You might be interested in the Adventure digest series that reprinted the early Legion series in order WB. Besides the stories Paul Levitz offered commentary on each story that I found really interesting. The issue before Matter-eater Lad joined, he pointed out that Tenz was actually in the previous story listening to Bouncing Boy's secret origon. Sure enough there is an applicant in a different costume with a giant mouth on his shirt. It also reprinted a couple that didn't make the archive series. Besides that the digest ran Aquaman, Shazam & a couple of other heroes. Whoever was picking stuff to reprint really did a good job.

Didn't read that issue...heh, Matter Eater Lad with a giant mouth on his shirt.

That could have been amusing if they'd kept that on his costume.

and very gay.

life." - Tuvok.

500+ posts
500+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah I was glad that I didn't buy the 52 series & waited for the trades for the same reason. The page of commentary is a great extra.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
An interesting interview with Shooter at comicbookresources

He talks about his getting fired, rehired & then the title getting cancelled. It's to bad that things didn't work out. Shooter is fairly blunt about what he thinks & there is some talk about a new character called Super Lad that was asked to be created & then yanked. It sounds like we'll be seeing this character at some point but DC management didn't want Shooter's hand in creating the character. Some sour grapes are apparent but he's hard on himself as well as others.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The last issue of the Legion came out this week and was a let down for this fan. Shooter didn't appear on the credits of the last issue and they had a fill in artist to boot. It did have Dream Girl return from the dead but so much was just left hanging. It wouldn't have mattered except Shooter did a heck of a job giving the large cast some personality when he came on board.

Guess there is still Legion of 3 worlds and a stint in the new Adventure title to look forward till/if another Legion series comes my way.

Fair play!
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
There will be, and Geoff Johns has said he'll be writing it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
There will be, and Geoff Johns has said he'll be writing it.

I heard that also and then there was some talk that he was to busy to do it. It does appear that everything has been set up for him to do it. I liked his version of the Legion in Action comics.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard