They've written/directed some of the best/funniest/brilliant movies out there:

The Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

to name a few and most of all, one of the best mob flicks out there:

Miller's Crossing which is nothing short of brilliant.

So, they have a new movie coming out that looks like a nailbiting thriller about a heist gone bad and I cannot wait to see it.

Synopsis:

The film follows Llewelyn Moss, a man out hunting near the Rio Grande who comes across a drug deal gone sour—leaving behind a cache of heroin, two million dollars and several bodies. When two more men end up murdered, the local sheriff realizes Moss and his wife need protection. Things turn dangerous when various men, ranging from ruthless freelancers to ex-Special Forces members, turn up to find out the truth and destroy all evidence.

Tagline: There are no clean getaways.

Trailer

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_count...erType=playlist

Javier Bardem looks like one scary motherfucker.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_country_for_old_men/

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

have you seen Gates of Eden? it's a collection of stories by Ethan Coen.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
No, but I'll be looking for it now - thanks... \:\)

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I saw it once in a used bookstore, but wasn't able to pick it up. I need to go back and see if I can find it again.

Quote:
Gates of Eden is a collection of short stories written by Ethan Coen, first published in November 1998. The title comes from one of the stories in the book. The stories within the book range from traditional fiction (both of third and first person) to stories formatted more like a script.

There is an abridged version on audiobook (cassette tape) which includes 11 of the 14 stories read by famous actors, many of whom have starred in Coen Brothers films.

While some of the stories are similar in format or theme, the stories as a whole are of varying length, do not follow a central theme, and are generally not related.

"Destiny"
"The Old Country"
"Cosa Minapolidan"
"Hector Berlioz, Private Investigator"
"Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland"
"A Morty Story"
"A Fever in the Blood"
"The Boys"
"Johnnie Ga-Botz"
"I Killed Phil Shapiro"
"It Is an Ancient Mariner"
"Gates of Eden"
"The Old Boys"
"Red Wing"

Here is the listing of stories in the order they appear on the audiobook:

"It Is an Ancient Mariner", read by John Goodman
"Cosa Minapolidan", read by John Turturro
"Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland", read by Steve Buscemi
"Destiny", read by Matt Dillon
"The Old Country", read by Liev Schreiber
"Gates of Eden", read by William H. Macy
"I Killed Phil Shapiro", read by Ben Stiller
"A Fever in the Blood", read by Steve Buscemi
"A Morty Story", read by Liev Schreiber
"The Boys", read by John Turturro
"Red Wing", read by Bain Boehlke

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Looks like they're going back to their Blood Simple style of thriller than their usual absurd comedies like The Hudsucker Proxy (can't believe you left those two out )

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
just looked it up on amazon - I'm gonna check to see if its in any of the B&N's around here first though - thanks for the heads up.

BTW: the movie comes out in November... can't wait...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Looks like they're going back to their Blood Simple style of thriller than their usual absurd comedies like The Hudsucker Proxy (can't believe you left those two out )

I just typed them as they came to mind... \:-\[

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

The Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

I think Miller's Crossing is one of the greatest films ever made, and the Coen Brothers' best.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

The Ladykillers
Intolerable Cruelty
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Raising Arizona

I think Miller's Crossing is one of the greatest films ever made, and the Coen Brothers' best.

Agreed. I've said it numerous times here, but I think it could give The Godfather a serious run for its money as the best mob flick out there - and yet, sadly, it doesn't garner the same recognition. The story was fantastic and the acting by every single one involved was absolutely stellar. I have watched it many times and never tire of it. To date, my favorite movie by the Coen brothers' by far.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Loved Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski was interesting (I have to watch it again), and I didn't see too much of O Brother, Where Art Thou. Isn't Ladykillers with Tom Hanks? I'll wait and see about this new one.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I liked There's Something About Mary, but the others did nothing for me.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Wrong set of brothers, hon - you're thinking of the Farrelly brothers. And I didn't like There's Something About Mary, but that prolly has more to do with the fact that I hate Ben Stiller (he's NOT funny!) than anything else.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I thought From Hell was so-so, too.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Wrong set of brothers, hon - you're thinking of the Farrelly brothers.

(psst..., sweetie, he already knows that)

And I didn't like There's Something About Mary, but that prolly has more to do with the fact that I hate Ben Stiller (he's NOT funny!) than anything else.

Ben Stiller is best in comedy roles when he's the asshole, not the lovable goof.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I thought From Hell was so-so, too.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

'Blood Simple' is still my favorite movie of theirs.

I thought 'Raising Arizona' and 'O Brother Where Art Thou' were also pretty good, but more or less hated everything else they did that I saw (Maybe I should check out 'Miller's Crossing').

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Wrong set of brothers, hon - you're thinking of the Farrelly brothers.

(psst..., sweetie, he already knows that)

What?

He coulda been confused....

Quote:
And I didn't like There's Something About Mary, but that prolly has more to do with the fact that I hate Ben Stiller (he's NOT funny!) than anything else.

Ben Stiller is best in comedy roles when he's the asshole, not the lovable goof.

I dunno - I'm just not a fan.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

'Blood Simple' is still my favorite movie of theirs.

I thought 'Raising Arizona' and 'O Brother Where Art Thou' were also pretty good, but more or less hated everything else they did that I saw (Maybe I should check out 'Miller's Crossing').

You should - it's excellent.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh, and yeah, Doc is right. Ben Stiller is great when he plays an asshole. Not so much when he does what amounts to the "big screen version of Ross on 'Friends'" bit (though I thought he was good in "Mary").

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
For me, Stiller is in the same category as Will Farrell; funny towards the beginning of their career but quickly overrated.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
That's a little like how I feel about Jim Carey - though, I think that Carey is actually very talented, but he hasn't done anything good in a long while...

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
O Brother rocks. We almost named the dog Delmar.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
aweshome.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Dapper Dan.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Cowgirl Jack
O Brother rocks. We almost named the dog Delmar.

Link Copied to Clipboard