Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
C'mon already! I'm a huge Ra's al Ghul fan - he's actually my Bat favorite villian - but I'm sick of dead comic book characters coming back to life. I hit the wall (no pun intended) with Jason Todd's resurrection and now shit like this annoys me to no end.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/eshop/pop_p...&InCart=0&adv=2

Product Title:
Batman #670 Regular Tony Daniel Cover (Resurrection Of Ras Al Ghul Prelude)

Our Price:
$2.54

Add to Bag

Tell a Friend

Subscribe

Release Date:
10/31/2007

Manufacturer / Publisher:
DC

Writer:
Grant Morrison

Artist:
Tony Daniel

Description:
"The next chapter of Batman’s life starts here! The shadow of Batman’s archfoe Ra’s al Ghul still looms large over the head of the Dark Knight. Is Ra’s al Ghul destined to live again? Batman begins his quest for the truth in this special prelude to “The Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul,” guest-starring Talia al Ghul, Damian, the Sensei and I-Ching!"

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Well, to be fair, Ra's has ALWAYS come back from the dead.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
yeah, pretty much been expecting this since they "killed" him. nice cover, though.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi

aye.

he's one of the few guys i dont mind this stigma for. its his gimmick.

plus, he's the coolest baddie of all time.

giant picture
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

aye.

he's one of the few guys i dont mind this stigma for. its his gimmick.

plus, he's the coolest baddie of all time.

I agree with you on that last point - he is the only Batvillian who I think is as smart - if not smarter - than Batman and I love him for that. And, yes, the whole resurrection thing is his shtick, but the whole Death and the Maidens thing (which I hated as Talia, once again, proved to be too easily manipulated and the intro of a heretofor unknown "daughter" pissed me off) indicated that this was the absolute "final" death of Ra's. It just seems to me that the whole bringing back a character from the dead diminishes that hell out of their death in the first place.

My only hope is that Morrison is writing it and he will do the "resurrection" justice. I used to have absolute faith in Morrison, but the dull ASS has shaken that faith a bit...

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i believe its morrison and dini -- two of the greatest batman authors, evar

giant picture
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I "heart" Paul Dini.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
and he hearts you, harley.

giant picture
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Indeed.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
he MADE you

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
but not as much as he hearts zatanna. seriously, his wife is a stage magician who looks just like her. . .

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
he MADE you

Sugar, I know! Part of the reason I "heart" him so much...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
but not as much as he hearts zatanna. seriously, his wife is a stage magician who looks just like her. . .

I thought that was Alex Ross?

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
A comic book character coming back from the dead!

I can't believe it!

What's next? A big EPIC crossover designed to screw the 8 people left that still buy comic books?!?

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I drew an elephant.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin

nope.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
A comic book character coming back from the dead!

I can't believe it!

What's next? A big EPIC crossover designed to screw the 8 people left that still buy comic books?!?

Which is why this fucking annoys me!

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I drew an elephant.

pic please.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts

nope.

Are you sure? I'm almost positive that Ross has said he based his Zatanna on his wife...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

nope.

Are you sure?

yep. she was at D*Con with him last year. his new Madam Mirage book is also based on her.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
hmmmm...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
indeed.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
his new Madam Mirage book is also based on her.

which i am enjoying so far...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
eh...the book. not the wife...

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
so how is it?

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
cool so far. ive only grabed the first two issues(not sure if theres more) a few days ago. I like the art, though thats just my opinion ;). And i always like stories about bad guys going "legit"...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I've noticed how Batman has gone back to the blue & grey, instead of the black & grey.

DC Comics: One Step Forward, Twelve Steps Backward...

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the kubert / morrison run has taken the suit back about 25 years. its much terrible.

giant picture
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Batman looks best in black and grey.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I, too, love the art.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Ra's's's return was also teased in the all villian teaser image.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Re: The blue and grey suit. The fact of the matter is that it's easier for a lazy artist to draw the suit in blue and gray. That's why the cape and cowl turned from black to blue in the 40s and why it's happening again now.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Re: The blue and grey suit. The fact of the matter is that it's easier for a lazy artist to draw the suit in blue and gray. That's why the cape and cowl turned from black to blue in the 40s and why it's happening again now.

i don't get how its easier?

the "blue" came about in the 40s because it was easier on the printers. "2 colors to choose from? blue cape, red cape, blue cape, red cape.... let's pick blue!"

i get that. i'm fine with that. if your midnight sky is the same color as a baby boy's blanket, whatever. at least its consistant.

but now a days, there are countless characters with black, yes actual black, coloring in their costume. nightwing, hourman, black panther, robin and... well, even batman on occasion. the coloring is certainly possible. and, underwear argument's aside, i don't see how blue/gray has any pro's or cons versus black/gray, from the reader's viewpoint or the artist's

giant picture
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
actually, for the pencil artist, black is easier because they can just leave empty space.

the inker fills in all the black spaces, so if it's going to be easier on anyone to do another color, it would be them.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But a penciller is supposed to take the inking and coloring into consideration when he draws the pages. By pencilling for a blue cape the penciller is more easily able to insure that the composition of the final product will still "work," especially with a character who normally appears at night. The blue cape stands out from the background better. Also, a lot of pencillers don't draw in the details of the cape, leaving that to the inker. That's an incentive for the inker to also leave the cape "blue."

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I don't understand why blue would be easier than black for the cape. If anything, wouldn't having it in black cover up any potential mistakes?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I don't know what you said, but I'm sure it's something along the lines of "but ALL pencilers everywhere should draw ALL details ALL the time" or some such nonsense and "blue IS the easiest!" or somesuch.

have you ever actually participated in the production of a comic book? have you ever talked with real artists about art and their techniques and various ways of getting things done (I would say "done on schedule" but all artists are terrible at making deadlines). because I have done these things.

the reality of the situation is that not all artists work the same, pencilers or inkers. in a book not of their owning, the artist will rarely have ensurement of the final product for a number of reasons not the least of which being who inks the work and what level of detailing the inker decides to focus on.

just as a for instance, I remember seeing penciled pages by Steven Butler when he was doing Web of Spider-Man during all that clone business nonsense. the level of detail that Steven used to put into his pages was great and the work he was putting out was capable of making him a big name in the industry.

but he had a poor inker, who did a hack job leaving out a multitude of the details and bringing down the quality of the art overall. basically making Steve's work look like ass.

it's just one example of countless in an industry in which there are multiple forms and styles of doing the work.

Mike Gustovich is actually somewhat renowned inside the industry as an inker who fills in a lot of details over pencilers who do half assed layouts, actually doing a majority of the work himself.

none of which changes the fact that for most pencilers, black is easier as all they have to do is leave an X (or Xs) for the inker to fill in later.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
But a penciller is supposed to take the inking and coloring into consideration when he draws the pages. By pencilling for a blue cape the penciller is more easily able to insure that the composition of the final product will still "work," especially with a character who normally appears at night. The blue cape stands out from the background better. Also, a lot of pencillers don't draw in the details of the cape, leaving that to the inker. That's an incentive for the inker to also leave the cape "blue."

This says to me "G-Man doesn't draw." Some pencilers (from interviews I've read) just draw gestures. Others put in every hair on a guy's knuckles. There's even a 'Tec (or Batman) from around the Knightfall series with an example of pencils and two different inked versions, by two very different guys. Very educational.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
P.S. -- Batman is SUPPOSED to blend in with the shadows, with the night sky. Standing out is something he leaves for Robin. [re: "The blue cape stands out from the background better."]

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
And, having a black cape, boots, and gloves makes Batman look like what he is:

A creature of the night.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard