Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/17/us/17surnames.html?em&ex=1195534800&en=a26ea272c49d9d22&ei=5070#

November 17, 2007

In U.S. Name Count, Garcias Are Catching Up With Joneses
By SAM ROBERTS

Step aside Moore and Taylor. Welcome Garcia and Rodriguez.

Smith remains the most common surname in the United States, according to a new analysis released yesterday by the Census Bureau. But for the first time, two Hispanic surnames — Garcia and Rodriguez — are among the top 10 most common in the nation, and Martinez nearly edged out Wilson for 10th place.

The number of Hispanics living in the United States grew by 58 percent in the 1990s to nearly 13 percent of the total population, and cracking the list of top 10 names suggests just how pervasively the Latino migration has permeated everyday American culture.

Garcia moved to No. 8 in 2000, up from No. 18, and Rodriguez jumped to No. 9 from 22nd place. The number of Hispanic surnames among the top 25 doubled, to 6.

Compiling the rankings is a cumbersome task, in part because of confidentiality and accuracy issues, according to the Census Bureau, and it is only the second time it has prepared such a list. While the historical record is sketchy, several demographers said it was probably the first time that any non-Anglo name was among the 10 most common in the nation. “It’s difficult to say, but it’s probably likely,” said Robert A. Kominski, assistant chief of social characteristics for the census.

Luis Padilla, 48, a banker who has lived in Miami since he arrived from Colombia 14 years ago, greeted the ascendance of Hispanic surnames enthusiastically.

“It shows we’re getting stronger,” Mr. Padilla said. “If there’s that many of us to outnumber the Anglo names, it’s a great thing.”

Reinaldo M. Valdes, a board member of the Miami-based Spanish American League Against Discrimination, said the milestone “gives the Hispanic community a standing within the social structure of the country.”

“People of Hispanic descent who hardly speak Spanish are more eager to take their Hispanic last names,” he said. “Today, kids identify more with their roots than they did before.”

Demographers pointed to more than one factor in explaining the increase in Hispanic surnames.

Generations ago, immigration officials sometimes arbitrarily Anglicized or simplified names when foreigners arrived from Europe.

“The movie studios used to demand that their employees have standard Waspy names,” said Justin Kaplan, an historian and co-author of “The Language of Names.”

“Now, look at Renée Zellweger,” Mr. Kaplan said.

And because recent Hispanic and Asian immigrants might consider themselves more identifiable by their physical characteristics than Europeans do, they are less likely to change their surnames, though they often choose Anglicized first names for their children.

The latest surname count also signaled the growing number of Asians in America. The surname Lee ranked No. 22, with the number of Lees about equally divided between whites and Asians. Lee is a familiar name in China and Korea and in all its variations is described as the most common surname in the world.

Altogether, the census found six million surnames in the United States. Among those, 151,000 were shared by a hundred or more Americans. Four million were held by only one person.

“The names tell us that we’re a richly diverse culture,” Mr. Kominski said.

But the fact that about 1 in every 25 Americans is named Smith, Johnson, Williams, Brown, Jones, Miller or Davis “suggests that there’s a durability in the family of man,” Mr. Kaplan, the author, said. A million Americans share each of those seven names. An additional 268 last names are common to 10,000 or more people. Together, those 275 names account for one in four Americans.

As the population of the United States ballooned by more than 30 million in the 1990s, more Murphys and Cohens were counted when the decade ended than when it began.

Smith — which would be even more common if all its variations, like Schmidt and Schmitt, were tallied — is among the names derived from occupations (Miller, which ranks No. 7, is another). Among the most famous early bearers of the name was Capt. John Smith, who helped establish the first permanent English settlement in North America at Jamestown, Va., 400 years ago. As recently as 1950, more Americans were employed as blacksmiths than as psychotherapists.

In 1984, according to the Social Security Administration, nearly 3.4 million Smiths lived in the United States. In 1990, the census counted 2.5 million. By 2000, the Smith population had declined to fewer than 2.4 million. The durability of some of the most common names in American history may also have been perpetuated because slaves either adopted or retained the surnames of their owners. About one in five Smiths are black, as are about one in three Johnsons, Browns, and Joneses and nearly half the people named Williams.

The Census Bureau’s analysis found that some surnames were especially associated with race and ethnicity.

More than 96 percent of Yoders, Kruegers, Muellers, Kochs, Schwartzes, Schmitts and Novaks were white. Nearly 90 percent of the Washingtons were black, as were 75 percent of the Jeffersons, 66 percent of the Bookers, 54 percent of the Banks and 53 percent of the Mosleys.

Terry Aguayo contributed reporting from Miami.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Wonder Boy and Lou Dobbs may be alarmed by this.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Garcia is a cool name.

Everyone knows of Jerry Garcia, former leader of the Grateful Dead.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

I wouldn't have a problem with a hundred million Garcias, so long as they assimilate to our culture.

Millions of Garcias who don't speak english after 10 years in the U.S. I would have a problem with.
Millions of Garcias pushing for Spanish as the second U.S. "official language" (displacing english culture, and opening the door to spanish dominance) I would have a problem with.

The fact that hispanic immigrants, as compared to other immigrant groups, have the highest rate of incarceration, the highest rate of crime, the highest high school dropout rate, the highest use of welfare, and the lowest academic test scores, and overall the lowest rate of assimilation by these measurements, I have a problem with.
Mass numbers of immigrants who are not assimilating is not immigration. It is invasion.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

You sound as if you have a problem with Mexicans Wonder Boy.

There are still some parts of the country I can go to where I may speak English till I turn blue but if I'm say, with my wife or family and for some reason we decide to communicate amongst ourselves in Spanish, I'll still receive indignant looks as I've committed some unpardonable crime.

It used to happen a lot to me back in the 1970's and my neck of the woods was still primarily Caucasian. Now, not so much as people here actually respect differences and in my experience are eager to learn about other cultures other than their own. Thank goodness for "white flight" I say. It tends to weed out the intolerant xenophobes.

It's not so much that some people want others to assimilate, they want others to completely obliterate any semblance of ethnicity lest their delicate ears hear a foreign tongue and they turn to stone. And it wasn't a desire to make one "assimilate", in my experience among people like this, it was a desire to make ones heritage appear inferior and worthy of obliteration.

As for Garcia being more common, good. I can't number the many times some asshole, either back in school or else in my working life that has changed my name to something more Caucasian sounding to put THEMSELVES at ease. Everything else about me told them "like me" except my name and they were all too eager to fix that as if it needed to be fixed.

Which is why I give you a hard time Wondy. Because I know your type from years of experience and I'm having none of it. One of the benefits of living in California is that except for the occasional incursion into the affluent westside where experiences with minorities goes as far as the maid or gardener (and it's reflected in the films and shows these people sometimes produce), I really don't have to put up with xenophobe crap anymore.

Did I tell you that the company I work for had some techs from (90% caucasian) Rhode Island visit us last year to upgrade our systems company-wide? I had the distinct pleasure of visiting several sites where these techs were at work. They looked as pissed off and miserable that Mexicans actually looked them in the eye and demanded acknowledgement and parity that they almost without fail rudely refused to give anyone that wasn't Caucasian or Asian. And they absolutely looked as if they were seething when people would speak Spanish. Best fucking month of my life. Wish it could have been you Wonder Boy. Wish it could have been you......

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Yeah, nothing brings the healing like willfully antagonizing the people who have such a problem with you. Remind me about that next time you try and quote Scripture in the pinko health care thread. ;\)

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Well no one thought they were antagonizing them by being themselves until we all realized it bothered them.

And then we really didn't give a fuck. It's their problem to surmount, not ours.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Did I tell you that the company I work for had some techs from (90% caucasian) Rhode Island visit us last year to upgrade our systems company-wide? I had the distinct pleasure of visiting several sites where these techs were at work. They looked as pissed off and miserable that Mexicans actually looked them in the eye and demanded acknowledgement and parity that they almost without fail rudely refused to give anyone that wasn't Caucasian or Asian. And they absolutely looked as if they were seething when people would speak Spanish. Best fucking month of my life. Wish it could have been you Wonder Boy. Wish it could have been you......

Not that you are bitter or anything.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

You sound as if you have a problem with Mexicans Wonder Boy.

There are still some parts of the country I can go to where I may speak English till I turn blue but if I'm say, with my wife or family and for some reason we decide to communicate amongst ourselves in Spanish, I'll still receive indignant looks as I've committed some unpardonable crime.

It used to happen a lot to me back in the 1970's and my neck of the woods was still primarily Caucasian. Now, not so much as people here actually respect differences and in my experience are eager to learn about other cultures other than their own. Thank goodness for "white flight" I say. It tends to weed out the intolerant xenophobes.

It's not so much that some people want others to assimilate, they want others to completely obliterate any semblance of ethnicity lest their delicate ears hear a foreign tongue and they turn to stone. And it wasn't a desire to make one "assimilate", in my experience among people like this, it was a desire to make ones heritage appear inferior and worthy of obliteration.

As for Garcia being more common, good. I can't number the many times some asshole, either back in school or else in my working life that has changed my name to something more Caucasian sounding to put THEMSELVES at ease. Everything else about me told them "like me" except my name and they were all too eager to fix that as if it needed to be fixed.

Which is why I give you a hard time Wondy. Because I know your type from years of experience and I'm having none of it. One of the benefits of living in California is that except for the occasional incursion into the affluent westside where experiences with minorities goes as far as the maid or gardener (and it's reflected in the films and shows these people sometimes produce), I really don't have to put up with xenophobe crap anymore.

None of what you said here even begins to answer the legitimate complaints I have about rampant hispanic immigration, their contempt for white America, and their forming a hispanic colony inside the U.S., enabling and endorsing massive illegal immigration into the U.S., etc. And the fact that Mexicans are the worst offenders in these categories, regarding gang membership, high-school dropout rates, welfare abuse, imprisonment, and on and on.

All you've done with your hate-filled rhetoric is confirm, with your own stereotypes of me and other white Americans, that you do have a contempt for us and our country. And that you do willingly enable the destruction of our culture, by replacing it with a hispanic culture. You gloat about it.
You delight in prejudicially tormenting those you, hypocritically, claim are the truly prejudiced ones.

But look at your own words. Look at your own actions, as you've just described them. It's you who's behaving with hate and bigotry, it's you who's excluding others. It's you who is stereotyping whites. And once again, your baseless personal remarks about me are yet another attempt by you to box-categorize me to conform, despite what I've said, to your pre-conceived stereotype of a white bigot.

Again, I've dated many, MANY hispanic women. If I were prejudiced against hispanics, I wouldn't socialize with or date hispanic women. I almost married a girl from Spain. I've dated women from just about every race and nationality. I've met immigrants from places like Iraq and Iran where their moving here saved them from being murdered by their governments, and they are supremely grateful and patriotic Americans as a result. My only objection to immigrants is if they don't assimilate, or --as you do-- voice an open hostility toward the whites/Americans who invited them legally into our country. Whether the immigrants in question are from Mexico, Germany, Czech Republic or wherever.

Regarding co-workers of yours you say react with contempt when you talk with co-workers in spanish, has it ever occurred to you that they are not prejudiced, but that they are just annoyed at your rudeness? It's rude to exclude others by not speaking the language you all share. The assumption of anyone in that situation is that they are being deliberately excluded, or so they can be talked about behind their backs.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
"None of what you said here even begins to answer the legitimate complaints I have about rampant hispanic immigration, their contempt for white America, and their forming a hispanic colony inside the U.S., enabling massive immigration into the U.S., etc. And the fact that Mexicans are the worst offenders in these categories, regarding gang membership, high-school dropout rates, welfare abuse, imprisonment, and on and on."

It was a cute anecdote, though.

Quote:
"Regarding co-workers of yours you say react with contempt when you talk with co-workers in spanish, has it ever occurred to you that they are not prejudiced, but that they are just annoyed at your rudeness? It's rude to exclude others by not speaking the language you all share. The assumption of anyone in that situation is that they are being deliberately excluded, or so they can be talked about behind their backs. "

I don't know, man.

I know if I snuck into Russia illegally, or legally emigrated there, I'd except the entire nation to conform to me and my refusal to speak the language.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

Originally Posted By: WB
Regarding co-workers of yours you say react with contempt when you talk with co-workers in spanish, has it ever occurred to you that they are not prejudiced, but that they are just annoyed at your rudeness? It's rude to exclude others by not speaking the language you all share. The assumption of anyone in that situation is that they are being deliberately excluded, or so they can be talked about behind their backs.

I don't know, man.

I know if I snuck into Russia illegally, or legally emigrated there, I'd [expect] the entire nation to conform to me and my refusal to speak the language.

\:lol\:

Oh man, so true!

What arrogance that an estimated 20 million people illegally break into our country, and then call the people who advocate enforcement of our nation's laws "racist". And call us racist, because they don't even have the decency to learn the language of the nation they broke into.

About 30% of legal immigrants to the U.S. since 1965 are Mexican, and God knows how many illegals. At least 30%.

But look at how the Mexican government treats Guatemalans and others who cross into Mexico across its southern border, and tell me if Mexicans have any moral high ground to accuse any other nation of racist or brutal behavior.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

None of what you said here even begins to answer the legitimate complaints I have about rampant hispanic immigration, their contempt for white America, and their forming a hispanic colony inside the U.S., enabling and endorsing massive illegal immigration into the U.S., etc. And the fact that Mexicans are the worst offenders in these categories, regarding gang membership, high-school dropout rates, welfare abuse, imprisonment, and on and on.

Excuse me? Hispanic colony? Elaborate. As for the rest, you just sound like a hate monger. The same crap comes up in regards to black people all the time and that in no way is indicative of the community as a whole. You however seem to try to make that into a portrait of a population. That is racism.

Quote:
All you've done with your hate-filled rhetoric is confirm, with your own stereotypes of me and other white Americans, that you do have a contempt for us and our country. And that you do willingly enable the destruction of our culture, by replacing it with a hispanic culture. You gloat about it.
You delight in prejudicially tormenting those you, hypocritically, claim are the truly prejudiced ones.

Excuse me?? "Our country"? When did I stop being an American citizen? Or was that some accident that you'd gladly revoke to anyone not like YOU? You sound as if you think you own America and everyone else not Caucasian has to work hard to meet your standards and prove themselves to you and only then will you bestow approval and citizenship on them. *&*#%@[insert descriptive expletive here] I'm an American citizen despite your wishes. HAHA. As for replacing "your" culture with a Hispanic culture, you really don't know the 1st thing about Los Angeles do you? The name alone should be a big clue. No ones replacing shit. It's been here for HUNDREDS of years.

Quote:
But look at your own words. Look at your own actions, as you've just described them. It's you who's behaving with hate and bigotry, it's you who's excluding others. It's you who is stereotyping whites. And once again, your baseless personal remarks about me are yet another attempt by you to box-categorize me to conform, despite what I've said, to your pre-conceived stereotype of a white bigot.

No, i'm not stereotyping whites en masse. I'm describing to you why I can't stand people like YOU. There is a difference. And the common factor is see in people like you is this refusal to cohabitate for any length of time and accept people who aren't just like them. That doesn't describe ALL Caucasians, just a segment of the population. A segment that likes to flee at the first sign of the numbers of non Caucasians growing. Something you yourself said makes you uncomfortable. You think it's "invasion". You think you're losing sovereignty. You think people are "taking over". All on account of the color of their skin or on account of language. Not on anything resembling reality.

Quote:
Again, I've dated many, MANY hispanic women. If I were prejudiced against hispanics, I wouldn't socialize with or date hispanic women. I almost married a girl from Spain. I've dated women from just about every race and nationality. I've met immigrants from places like Iraq and Iran where their moving here saved them from being murdered by their governments, and they are supremely grateful and patriotic Americans as a result. My only objection to immigrants is if they don't assimilate, or --as you do-- voice an open hostility toward the whites/Americans who invited them legally into our country. Whether the immigrants in question are from Mexico, Germany, Czech Republic or wherever.

Fuck dude. That argument doesn't fly with me. it's easy for a bigot to be into a pretty woman of another race. It's quite another thing for you to actually accept and feel comfortable around her brother, her male cousin A MAN of her race, large numbers of people from her race. I've yet to encounter even full on openly unashamed bigots and skinheads, and I've been inside their houses before when they've thought I was one of their own, who don't accept pretty female minorities. It doesn't mean shit. It's like asking ANY man to be against Salma Hayek or Osama Bin laden's sexy neice.

Quote:

Ok, i'll accept that.Even though it was quite apparent that wasn't the case. But that was just icing. These assholes wouldn't even respond when asked questions or engaged in conversation and instead would just sneer. They'd only talk to whites and Asians as equals. Which was odd since they were deep in South L.A. and most of the people around them were blacks and latinos.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
Hispanic Americans By the Numbers
From the U.S. Census Bureau

44.3 million

The estimated Hispanic population of the United States as of July 1, 2006, making people of Hispanic origin the nation’s largest ethnic or race minority. Hispanics constituted 15% of the nation's total population.

About 1
. . . of every two people added to the nation’s population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, was Hispanic. There were 1.4 million Hispanics added to the population over the period.

3.4%
Percentage increase in the Hispanic population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, making Hispanics the fastest-growing minority group.

102.6 million
The projected Hispanic population of the United States as of July 1, 2050. According to this projection, Hispanics will constitute 24% of the nation’s total population by that date.

22.4 million
The nation’s Hispanic population during the 1990 census—just slightly over half the current total.

3rd
Ranking of the size of the U.S. Hispanic population worldwide, as of 2005. Only Mexico (106.2 million) and Colombia (43 million) had larger Hispanic populations than did the United States (42.7 million). (Spain had a population of 40.3 million.)

64%
The percentage of Hispanic-origin people in households who are of Mexican background. Another 9% are of Puerto Rican background, with 3.5% Cuban, 3% Salvadoran, and 2.7% Dominican. The remainder are of some other Central American, South American, or other Hispanic or Latino origin.

Roughly half of the nation’s Dominicans live in New York City and about half of the nation’s Cubans in Miami-Dade County, Fla.

27.4 years
Median age of the Hispanic population in 2006. This compares with 36.4 years for the population as a whole.

Number of Hispanic males in 2006 per every 100 Hispanic females. This was in sharp contrast to the overall population, which had 97 males per every 100 females.
States and Counties

48%
The percentage of the Hispanic-origin population that lives in California or Texas. California is home to 13.1 million Hispanics, and Texas is home to 8.4 million.

The number of states with at least a half million Hispanic residents. They are Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington.

44%
The percentage of New Mexico’s population that is Hispanic, the highest of any state. Hispanics also make up more than a quarter of the population in California and Texas, at 36% each, and Arizona (29%).

4.7 million
The Hispanic population of Los Angeles County, California—the largest of any county in the nation.

The increase in Texas’ Hispanic population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, which led all states. California (283,000), Florida (161,000) and Arizona (102,000) also recorded large increases.

Number of states in which Hispanics are the largest minority group. These states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

Businesses

1.6 million
The number of Hispanic-owned businesses in 2002.

Triple
The rate of growth of Hispanic-owned businesses between 1997 and 2002 (31%) compared with the national average (10%) for all businesses.

$222 billion
Revenue generated by Hispanic-owned businesses in 2002, up 19% from 1997.

45%
. . . of all Hispanic-owned firms were owned by Mexicans, Mexican-Americans and Chicanos.

Number of Hispanic-owned firms with receipts of $1 million or more.

* 43% of Hispanic-owned firms operated in construction; administrative and support, and waste management and remediation services; and other services, such as personal services, and repair and maintenance. Retail and wholesale trade accounted for 36% of Hispanic-owned business revenue.
* States with the fastest rates of growth for Hispanic-owned firms between 1997 and 2002 included New York (57%), Georgia and Rhode Island (56% each), and Nevada and South Carolina (48% each).
* Counties with the highest number of Hispanic-owned firms were Los Angeles County (188,422); Miami-Dade County (163,187); and Harris County, Texas (61,934).

Families and Children

9.9 million
The number of Hispanic family households in the United States in 2006. Of these households, 62% included children younger than 18.

67%
The percentage of Hispanic families consisting of a married couple.

44%
The percentage of Hispanic family households consisting of a married couple with children younger than 18.

66%
Percentage of Hispanic children living with two married parents.

23%
Percentage of total population younger than 5 that was Hispanic as of July 1, 2006.

Spanish Language

32.2 million
The number of U.S. household residents 5 and older who speak Spanish at home. Spanish speakers constitute nearly one in eight U.S. household residents. Among all those who speak Spanish at home, more than one-half say they speak English very well.

29%
Percentage of Texas residents who speak Spanish at home, which leads all states. This compares with the national average of 12%.

78%
Percentage of Hispanics 5 and older who speak a language other than English at home. Of that number, about half speak English very well.
Income, Poverty and Health Insurance

$35,967
The median income of Hispanic households in 2005, statistically unchanged from the previous year.

21.8%
The poverty rate among Hispanics in 2005, statistically unchanged from 2004.

32.7%
The percentage of Hispanics who lacked health insurance in 2005, statistically unchanged from 2004.

Education

59%
The percentage of Hispanics 25 and older who had at least a high school education in 2006.

12%
The percentage of the Hispanic population 25 and older with a bachelor’s degree or higher in 2006.

3.1 million
The number of Hispanics 18 and older who had at least a bachelor’s degree in 2006, up from 1.4 million a decade earlier.

Number of Hispanics 25 and older with advanced degrees in 2006 (e.g., master’s, professional, doctorate).

11%
Percentage of all college students in October 2005 who were Hispanic. Among elementary and high school students combined, the corresponding proportion was 19%.

Educational attainment levels are higher among certain Hispanic groups than among others. For example, among Cubans 25 and older, 73% were at least high school graduates, and 24% had a bachelor's degree or higher.
Jobs

68%
Percentage of Hispanics 16 and older who are in the civilian labor force.

17%
The percentage of Hispanics 16 or older who work in management, professional and related occupations. Approximately 24% of Hispanics 16 or older work in service occupations; 22% in sales and office occupations; 2% in farming, fishing and forestry occupations; 16% in construction, extraction, maintenance and repair occupations; and 19% in production, transportation and material moving occupations.

Number of Hispanic chief executives. In addition, 49,200 physicians and surgeons; 53,700 postsecondary teachers; 29,000 lawyers; and 3,300 news analysts, reporters and correspondents are Hispanic.
Voting

7.6 million
The number of Hispanic citizens who reported voting in the 2004 presidential election. The percentage of Hispanic citizens voting—about 47%—did not change statistically from four years earlier.
Serving our Country

1.1 million
The number of Hispanic veterans of the U.S. armed forces.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

I wouldn't have a problem with a hundred million Garcias, so long as they assimilate to our culture.

Millions of Garcias who don't speak english after 10 years in the U.S. I would have a problem with.
Millions of Garcias pushing for Spanish as the second U.S. "official language" (displacing english culture, and opening the door to spanish dominance) I would have a problem with.

The fact that hispanic immigrants, as compared to other immigrant groups, have the highest rate of incarceration, the highest rate of crime, the highest high school dropout rate, the highest use of welfare, and the lowest academic test scores, and overall the lowest rate of assimilation by these measurements, I have a problem with.
Mass numbers of immigrants who are not assimilating is not immigration. It is invasion.

Wondy, perhaps you might benefit from some introspection. you obviously have a paranoid fear and/or insecurity over your race and gender. i think instead of aggrivating yourself and these paranoid feelings you should just take a breather and avoid the talk radio shows which fuel your hatred. maybe that would allow you to find some peace and harmony. it's always sad to see mental illness go unchecked, so i hope you get the help you need.

Bow ties are coool.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts

Yeah! It would be as bad as if a band of Anglos went to a foreign nation, deported the native peoples from their ancestral lands, and forced them into unfamiliar customs, played them against each other, or just outright slaughtered them....

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I keep telling you guys wonder boy is a minority. Thats why he's never posted a picture of himself, he's too ashamed of his skin color.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I think Wonder Boy is someone's alt id, perpetrating the greatest satire of our generation. No one, but NO ONE, can be that close-minded and xenophobic.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
And I think he looks like this guy.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
I think Wonder Boy is someone's alt id, perpetrating the greatest satire of our generation. No one, but NO ONE, can be that close-minded and xenophobic.

Have you ever listened to talk radio or watched fox news?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

About 30% of legal immigrants to the U.S. since 1965 are Mexican, and God knows how many illegals. At least 30%.

But look at how the Mexican government treats Guatemalans and others who cross into Mexico across its southern border, and tell me if Mexicans have any moral high ground to accuse any other nation of racist or brutal behavior.

At least 30%!!! Oh the outrage!!! It's so outrageous that it bears repeating!!! 30%!!!!!

Then in the same breath you talk about the Central Amercans who cross over into Mexico illegally?

See Wonder Boy, this is the thing. I can tell even without that post that you make absolutely no distinction between legal immigrants and illegal ones. All that matters to you is that "your" country is changing.

Deal with it.

And Mexico has every right to enforce their borders just as America does. Funny how no one really wants to. They just like to prey on the emotions of xenophobes like you to win elections with empty promises. Regardless, you can rail against the Mexican along with Lou Dobbs all you want. The Census statistics show that regardless of ILLEGAL immigration, the LEGAL citizens and residents will soon be 1/4 of our country. You too will live next to "Mexicans"!!!

Notice the quotation marks, because the last post I responded on, you clearly referenced me as being NOT American based on my race. So I'll gladly call myself a "Mexican" if only to piss you off but I'm also an American citizen and I so hope that also chaps your hide.

And I'M BREEDING!!!! MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I know you're unable to do the same because all your women turned into militant working lesbians who sneer contemptuously at the traditional family and refuse to have children on account of feminism, liberals, and the 60's.

Or it could be that no woman can stand your backwards, sexist, intolerant ways for long... regardless of her ethnicity.

(YOU)

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
[quote=Wonder Boy]

(YOU)

so, wondy is the dutch boy and i'm guessing g-man is the dam?

Bow ties are coool.
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts

At least 30%!!! Oh the outrage!!! It's so outrageous that it bears repeating!!! 30%!!!!!

Then in the same breath you talk about the Central Amercans who cross over into Mexico illegally?

When he's talking about immigrants who refuse to learn the language, then he doesn't need to distinguish them.

Quote:
See Wonder Boy, this is the thing. I can tell even without that post that you make absolutely no distinction between legal immigrants and illegal ones. All that matters to you is that "your" country is changing.

Deal with it.

Generic "you're afraid of change" knee-jerk.

Quote:
And Mexico has every right to enforce their borders just as America does. Funny how no one really wants to. They just like to prey on the emotions of xenophobes like you to win elections with empty promises.

Generic "xenophobic" knee-jerk.

Quote:
Regardless, you can rail against the Mexican along with Lou Dobbs all you want. The Census statistics show that regardless of ILLEGAL immigration, the LEGAL citizens and residents will soon be 1/4 of our country. You too will live next to "Mexicans"!!!

I doubt Wonder Boy has a problem living next to Americans of Mexican heritage. However, when said Americans refuse to learn how to verbally communicate with the culture they've established themselves in, then that's just a big "fuck you" to the country and culture that welcomed you.

You seem to be so obsessed with pointing out insecurities in other people that you refuse to note that cultural paradigms can have negative social effects on the government itself. Have you even bothered to take into account the effect of a language confused system?

Quote:
So I'll gladly call myself a "Mexican" if only to piss you off but I'm also an American citizen and I so hope that also chaps your hide.

Then maybe you should...You know...At least act like it and not be a proponent of selling out your own country that, I'm sure, you were born in, or came to, legally.

Quote:

I know you're unable to do the same because all your women turned into militant working lesbians who sneer contemptuously at the traditional family and refuse to have children on account of feminism, liberals, and the 60's.

Or it could be that no woman can stand your backwards, sexist, intolerant ways for long... regardless of her ethnicity.

(YOU)

I imagine you're the kind of Mexican American who feels his ascendant culture was cheated out of California and Texas, and because the land was either sold off or signed over, you also feel obligated to "take it back" simply by breeding on it. In which case, not only would you support the second-hander idea that it's okay to sneak back into this place now that the land has flourished under the control of Americans (despite how it might hurt the people living there), but also the separatist notion that because you're a certain ethnicity and bred from a particular history, that makes you a different kind of American--An elitist if you will. Perhaps you feel it's your duty or purpose to multiply as much as possible so as to outnumber the scary corrupt white people. You really gotta wonder if being American means to keep those kinds of feelings and intent.

It's a two-fold attack really since we have Affirmative Action rearing its ugly head every now and again. The whites are people being stereotyped as fortunate and rich (even though that's steadily dying down with illegal immigration nowadays) and not actually needing a fair share. All the while the Mexican illegals and Mexican American populace is being brought up with the perception that America and its evil Caucasian ratio owes them a big fat living--At their own expense if necessary.

Last edited by Pariah; 2007-11-19 12:06 PM.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Excuse me? Hispanic colony? Elaborate.

No need to elaborate. Those who arrive in mass numbers and do not assimilate, are colonizers who wish to replace the existing culture with their own. And if that is their attitude, if they have no respect for the existing culture, then they don't belong here and should be deported.

As for the rest, you just sound like a hate monger. The same crap comes up in regards to black people all the time and that in no way is indicative of the community as a whole. You however seem to try to make that into a portrait of a population. That is racism.

Again, you're the only one who hasd voiced hate for whites as a sweeping whole, and even gloated about how hispanics are taking over.

I've only criticized those who do not assimilate, and those who are hostile to the United States and its existing culture. Period. The end.

Excuse me?? "Our country"? When did I stop being an American citizen?

My scornful opinion of you has nothing to do with your race. It has to do with the fact that you're openly cheering for the other side, against the United States.

Or was that some accident that you'd gladly revoke to anyone not like YOU?

You just made that up out of thin air. Those are your ideas, not mine.

You sound as if you think you own America and everyone else not Caucasian has to work hard to meet your standards and prove themselves to you and only then will you bestow approval and citizenship on them. *&*#%@[insert descriptive expletive here] I'm an American citizen despite your wishes. HAHA.

My ideas are common sense, and the standard set down by George Washington and Ben Franklin, who were concerned about allowing too many germans in the country, or allowing them to immigrate too concentrated in an area. They felt a need to spread them out, so they would assimilate.

As for replacing "your" culture with a Hispanic culture, you really don't know the 1st thing about Los Angeles do you? The name alone should be a big clue. No ones replacing shit. It's been here for HUNDREDS of years.

Yes. Hispanics were about 3% of the U.S. population in the 1970s.
By the 1980s, hispanics were 6%.
Hispanics are currently about 15%, using your own quoted numbers.
Hispanics are expected to reach 25% (double the already high numbers) by 2040.

And yet you don't see that as an invasion. It is a formula for balkanization and separatism. It is national suicide.

No, i'm not stereotyping whites en masse. I'm describing to you why I can't stand people like YOU. There is a difference. And the common factor is see in people like you is this refusal to cohabitate for any length of time and accept people who aren't just like them. That doesn't describe ALL Caucasians, just a segment of the population. A segment that likes to flee at the first sign of the numbers of non Caucasians growing. Something you yourself said makes you uncomfortable. You think it's "invasion".

As I just statistically established, it is an invasion!

Unquestionably.
In terms of numbers. In terms of radio and TV stations switching to spanish-only programming. It is unquestionably a cultural invasion, as well as an invasion in sheer numbers of immigrants, both legal and illegal.

You think you're losing sovereignty. You think people are "taking over". All on account of the color of their skin or on account of language. Not on anything resembling reality.

No.
You keep trying to make this racial. But it's not about race, it's about lack of assimilation, that is de facto invasion.

I don't care whether someone is hispanic or Arab or european, so long as they assimilate and contribute to the United States. Some of the nationalities that assimilate the best into U.S. culture, who have the lowest ratios in gangs or prison, have the lowest high school dropout rates, who pursue higher education at a high rate, and who have very low ratios of welfare usage or imprisonment include Koreans, Phillipinos, Chinese and India. These I would gladly welcome over more Mexicans, who have high ratio that end up subsidized by tax dollars.

But I have no problem recognizing that many hispanics do assimilate and contribute to our culture. Many hispanics are fighting and sacrificing in our military, and have since Texas' independence in 1836. And pursuing careers and higher education.

It's not about race for me. You slanderously allege it's about race, to distract from my point.

And when you've done that, I've won the argument, because you have to use deceit to try and disprove the obvious truth of what I'm saying: that immigrants of any nation are a threat to the United States if they don't assimilate. And that is an opinion I share with George Washington, Ben Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy.

Fuck dude. That argument doesn't fly with me. it's easy for a bigot to be into a pretty woman of another race. It's quite another thing for you to actually accept and feel comfortable around her brother, her male cousin A MAN of her race, large numbers of people from her race. I've yet to encounter even full on openly unashamed bigots and skinheads, and I've been inside their houses before when they've thought I was one of their own, who don't accept pretty female minorities. It doesn't mean shit. It's like asking ANY man to be against Salma Hayek or Osama Bin laden's sexy neice.

That's yet another factless attept on your part to slander me.

You know nothing about me. You ignore that I've stated many times that I not only date non-white women, but that many of my friends are non-white or foreign nationals. My closest friend is from Argentina.

Ok, i'll accept that.Even though it was quite apparent that wasn't the case. But that was just icing. These assholes wouldn't even respond when asked questions or engaged in conversation and instead would just sneer. They'd only talk to whites and Asians as equals. Which was odd since they were deep in South L.A. and most of the people around them were blacks and latinos.

When I sense an anti-white hostility from minorities, I similarly back off. I initially make an effort to break the ice and get past it. But if they don't warm up, I similarly ignore them and reciprocate the same attitude they've given me.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

Wondy, perhaps you might benefit from some introspection. you obviously have a paranoid fear and/or insecurity over your race and gender. i think instead of aggrivating yourself and these paranoid feelings you should just take a breather and avoid the talk radio shows which fuel your hatred. maybe that would allow you to find some peace and harmony. it's always sad to see mental illness go unchecked, so i hope you get the help you need.

More troll remarks, that smear with "fear, racism, hatred" labels, to mask that my arguments are about assimilation, not race.

You also ignore the statistics that confirm what I said. That it is in fact an invasion.

"Multiculturalism" is not occurring, hispanic rise to dominance of American culture is occuring. Balkanization with loyalty to hispanic culture taking root in place of loyalty to the United States is occurring, with the push toward bilingualism and advocacy of illegal immigration, where hispanic voters threaten any politician who would oppose illegal immigration, or would end welfare benefits for illegals. These hispanics, whether legal or illegal, are a hostile anti-American force within the United States, that acts against our national interests.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Yeah! It would be as bad as if a band of Anglos went to a foreign nation, deported the native peoples from their ancestral lands, and forced them into unfamiliar customs, played them against each other, or just outright slaughtered them....

You've bought into the myth of Native American genocide. Over 90% of Native Americans who died, died of disease, not from genocide. And there are about as many recorded incidents of indians killed as there are of Europreans killed by indians.

As I've said often, my ancestry is English, Scottish, Irish, German, Dutch... and Cherokee. I'm a fully europeanized Native American.

Many Native Americans are fully assimilated Americans. When Europeans came to the Americas, native Americans were mostly hunter-gatherers, on the verge of starvation. They were involved in bloody tribal warfare. The Incas, Aztecs and Mayans practiced human sacrifice. And the Carib indians and many other tribal groups practiced cannibalism. Not one tribe in the Americas had invented the wheel. This is what Europeans interrupted.
Speaking as someone with Native American blood, I'd say those of us who assimilated are far better off.

Similarly, a black scholar about 15 years ago said that descendants of black slaves in the U.S. are about 50 times better off as American citizens than the blacks who remain in the former slave-trade nations of Africa, in terms of economic prosperity, healthcare, life span, safety from violence, and other factors.

Weighing the positives and negatives, I'd say that whites/Europeans, including the United States, come out ahead on the balance sheet you raise.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
I keep telling you guys wonder boy is a minority. Thats why he's never posted a picture of himself, he's too ashamed of his skin color.

I'm proud of who and what I am. I just don't feel like being photo-shopped into gay porn images and so forth. I've seen the delightful treatment you give Pariah, G-man and others.

I have nothing I need to prove, or be ashamed of.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Let's face it. If people want to come here, learn the language and work hard, I think we'd all welcome them. Hell, we'd probably all be in favor of amnesty and/or open borders.

But time and time again we hear that isn't what's happening.

I don't think it's xenophobic or racist for WB, or anyone else, to expect that the current wave of immigrants follow the same procedures as past waves from places like Italy, China or Germany.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Hispanic Americans By the Numbers
From the U.S. Census Bureau

44.3 million

The estimated Hispanic population of the United States as of July 1, 2006, making people of Hispanic origin the nation’s largest ethnic or race minority. Hispanics constituted 15% of the nation's total population.

About 1
. . . of every two people added to the nation’s population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, was Hispanic. There were 1.4 million Hispanics added to the population over the period.

3.4%
Percentage increase in the Hispanic population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, making Hispanics the fastest-growing minority group.

102.6 million
The projected Hispanic population of the United States as of July 1, 2050. According to this projection, Hispanics will constitute 24% of the nation’s total population by that date.

22.4 million
The nation’s Hispanic population during the 1990 census—just slightly over half the current total.

3rd
Ranking of the size of the U.S. Hispanic population worldwide, as of 2005. Only Mexico (106.2 million) and Colombia (43 million) had larger Hispanic populations than did the United States (42.7 million). (Spain had a population of 40.3 million.)

64%
The percentage of Hispanic-origin people in households who are of Mexican background. Another 9% are of Puerto Rican background, with 3.5% Cuban, 3% Salvadoran, and 2.7% Dominican. The remainder are of some other Central American, South American, or other Hispanic or Latino origin.

Roughly half of the nation’s Dominicans live in New York City and about half of the nation’s Cubans in Miami-Dade County, Fla.

27.4 years
Median age of the Hispanic population in 2006. This compares with 36.4 years for the population as a whole.

Number of Hispanic males in 2006 per every 100 Hispanic females. This was in sharp contrast to the overall population, which had 97 males per every 100 females.
States and Counties

48%
The percentage of the Hispanic-origin population that lives in California or Texas. California is home to 13.1 million Hispanics, and Texas is home to 8.4 million.

The number of states with at least a half million Hispanic residents. They are Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington.

44%
The percentage of New Mexico’s population that is Hispanic, the highest of any state. Hispanics also make up more than a quarter of the population in California and Texas, at 36% each, and Arizona (29%).

4.7 million
The Hispanic population of Los Angeles County, California—the largest of any county in the nation.

The increase in Texas’ Hispanic population between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006, which led all states. California (283,000), Florida (161,000) and Arizona (102,000) also recorded large increases.

Number of states in which Hispanics are the largest minority group. These states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

Businesses

1.6 million
The number of Hispanic-owned businesses in 2002.

Triple
The rate of growth of Hispanic-owned businesses between 1997 and 2002 (31%) compared with the national average (10%) for all businesses.

$222 billion
Revenue generated by Hispanic-owned businesses in 2002, up 19% from 1997.

45%
. . . of all Hispanic-owned firms were owned by Mexicans, Mexican-Americans and Chicanos.

Number of Hispanic-owned firms with receipts of $1 million or more.

* 43% of Hispanic-owned firms operated in construction; administrative and support, and waste management and remediation services; and other services, such as personal services, and repair and maintenance. Retail and wholesale trade accounted for 36% of Hispanic-owned business revenue.
* States with the fastest rates of growth for Hispanic-owned firms between 1997 and 2002 included New York (57%), Georgia and Rhode Island (56% each), and Nevada and South Carolina (48% each).
* Counties with the highest number of Hispanic-owned firms were Los Angeles County (188,422); Miami-Dade County (163,187); and Harris County, Texas (61,934).

Families and Children

9.9 million
The number of Hispanic family households in the United States in 2006. Of these households, 62% included children younger than 18.

67%
The percentage of Hispanic families consisting of a married couple.

44%
The percentage of Hispanic family households consisting of a married couple with children younger than 18.

66%
Percentage of Hispanic children living with two married parents.

23%
Percentage of total population younger than 5 that was Hispanic as of July 1, 2006.

Spanish Language

32.2 million
The number of U.S. household residents 5 and older who speak Spanish at home. Spanish speakers constitute nearly one in eight U.S. household residents. Among all those who speak Spanish at home, more than one-half say they speak English very well.

29%
Percentage of Texas residents who speak Spanish at home, which leads all states. This compares with the national average of 12%.

78%
Percentage of Hispanics 5 and older who speak a language other than English at home. Of that number, about half speak English very well.
Income, Poverty and Health Insurance

$35,967
The median income of Hispanic households in 2005, statistically unchanged from the previous year.

21.8%
The poverty rate among Hispanics in 2005, statistically unchanged from 2004.

32.7%
The percentage of Hispanics who lacked health insurance in 2005, statistically unchanged from 2004.

Education

59%
The percentage of Hispanics 25 and older who had at least a high school education in 2006.

12%
The percentage of the Hispanic population 25 and older with a bachelor’s degree or higher in 2006.

3.1 million
The number of Hispanics 18 and older who had at least a bachelor’s degree in 2006, up from 1.4 million a decade earlier.

Number of Hispanics 25 and older with advanced degrees in 2006 (e.g., master’s, professional, doctorate).

11%
Percentage of all college students in October 2005 who were Hispanic. Among elementary and high school students combined, the corresponding proportion was 19%.

Educational attainment levels are higher among certain Hispanic groups than among others. For example, among Cubans 25 and older, 73% were at least high school graduates, and 24% had a bachelor's degree or higher.
Jobs

68%
Percentage of Hispanics 16 and older who are in the civilian labor force.

17%
The percentage of Hispanics 16 or older who work in management, professional and related occupations. Approximately 24% of Hispanics 16 or older work in service occupations; 22% in sales and office occupations; 2% in farming, fishing and forestry occupations; 16% in construction, extraction, maintenance and repair occupations; and 19% in production, transportation and material moving occupations.

Number of Hispanic chief executives. In addition, 49,200 physicians and surgeons; 53,700 postsecondary teachers; 29,000 lawyers; and 3,300 news analysts, reporters and correspondents are Hispanic.
Voting

7.6 million
The number of Hispanic citizens who reported voting in the 2004 presidential election. The percentage of Hispanic citizens voting—about 47%—did not change statistically from four years earlier.
Serving our Country

1.1 million
The number of Hispanic veterans of the U.S. armed forces.

Thank you for providing statistics that prove my point.

Originally Posted By: the opening N Y Times article

The number of Hispanics living in the United States grew by 58 percent in the 1990s to nearly 13 percent of the total population, and cracking the list of top 10 names suggests just how pervasively the Latino migration has permeated everyday American culture.

And beyond even that high increase, the hispanic population in the U.S. is expected to double to slightly over 100 million in the U.S., or 25% of total U.S. population.

As I said, many hispanics contribute greatly to the United States, as scientists, physicians, engineers, business owners, etc.

But statistically, more than any other immigrant group, hispanics (primarily Mexicans) end up as high school dropouts, in gangs, in prison, or on welfare. And advocate and enable illegals to enter the United States. In opposition to American national interests.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I'm disappointed in you, Snarf. I've always gotten along with you on these boards, and I've never joined in attacks on you.

I don't know why you'd join with the trolls and launch a personal attack on me. If you want to respectfully raise a legitimate point or counterpoint, okay. But character assassination and personal attack just tosses your opinion in a dismissive category.

Wanting to have our existing immigration laws enforced, and to protect our borders from illegal immigration, and more selectively choose the 1.2 million legal immigrants permitted to enter the U.S. every year, so they don't end up on welfare or in our prisons, is neither closed-minded or xenophobic. It's informed.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

More troll remarks, that smear with "fear, racism, hatred" labels, to mask that my arguments are about assimilation, not race.

wondy, it is about race. i remember one thread where you even slipped up and said the problem was the white race was being over run. And did you ever wonder if maybe immigrants might feel more comfortable in our country if there weren't people like you railing about how big a threat they are?
it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. someone wants to be here to work and have a nice life. people like you then talk about the evil aliens coming to destroy us and that makes these immigrants a little fearful of leaving their close knit communities. then their kids grow up with that fear (which leads to hatred as Yoda taught us) and they have a higher chance of turning to crime because of it. maybe if you unbunched your panties, lived your life, and didn't attack every non-white male out there the world might just be a better place.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I live in what was a very white area 40 years ago, but is now becoming a very mixed area.

There are white, Indian ( from India ), Russian, Romanian, Latin, etc here now.

The neighborhood is also turning black, which is cool, as some of the daddies are cute!

I can hear the people here from other countries all talking in their various dialects in the street, in their apartments, etc.

I don't give a damn who lives here, as long as they don't fuck with me!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

See Wonder Boy, this is the thing. I can tell even without that post that you make absolutely no distinction between legal immigrants and illegal ones.

I make no distinction when the legal hispanics are actively enabling and encouraging illegals to enter our country and break our laws.

I do make a distinction regarding hispanic immigrants who respect our laws, don't support illegals, and are productive contributing citizens of the United States.

All that matters to you is that "your" country is changing.

If it were changing productively, I wouldn't mind. But 10% of the children born in this country are "anchor babies", of illegal women who through a bizarre loophole in the law, are illegals given U.S. citizenship at birth, and cost the U.S. billions over a lifetime in welfare benefits, and create a path to citizenship for their illegal parents and extended family.

If this 30% were legal immigrants from India or China or the Phillipines or Korea, who have a much higher ratio of higher education and good citizenship (i.e., not high school dropouts, not in gangs, not on welfare or in prison, not advocating open borders with Mexico) I would see this as enriching the U.S., not draining its resources.

Deal with it.

You deal with the fact that I have a legitimate point of view, with statistical evidence to support what I'm saying.
If you want more extensive numbers detailing the Mexican drain, read Pat Buchanan's book State of Emergency regarding the immigration problem.

And Mexico has every right to enforce their borders just as America does. Funny how no one really wants to. They just like to prey on the emotions of xenophobes like you to win elections with empty promises.

You ignore, or are just ignorant of, my point. The "white/racist" U.S. captures illegals and deports them, while treating them very well as prisoners. So well that most illegally cross again.

My point is that as cruel and racist as Mexico is toward its illegals, it has no factual basis for calling the U.S. racist for simply enforcing its laws, treating prisoners well, and lawfully deporting them.

Mexico often kills Guatemalans and others who cross, beat their captured illegals, rape the women, and shake them down for whatever they own.

Regardless, you can rail against the Mexican along with Lou Dobbs all you want. The Census statistics show that regardless of ILLEGAL immigration, the LEGAL citizens and residents will soon be 1/4 of our country. You too will live next to "Mexicans"!!!

Again, if most were lawful, loyal and productive Americans who respected our laws and didn't act like a separate nation within our nation, I would have no problem with that. My problem is that their general attitude equates to a loss of U.S. sovereignty, a move toward open borders, and realization of trans-mexican dreams of using the U.S. Constitution as a "transitional document" toward the dissolution of the United States, inside a North American Union, which translates to the U.S. treasury drained to bankroll a welfare state for tens of millions of poor Mexicans, that the Mexican government should be providing for, not us.
In your anti-American wet dream of a hispanicized America, the United States will cease to exist.
Yeah, that's some patriotism you've got there.
Whether you fully realize it or not, what you cheer on is deeply anti-American.

Notice the quotation marks, because the last post I responded on, you clearly referenced me as being NOT American based on my race. So I'll gladly call myself a "Mexican" if only to piss you off but I'm also an American citizen and I so hope that also chaps your hide.

I reference you as un-American for your beliefs and attitude, not your race.
Again: It's about who assimilates and who doesn't, not about race. There are plenty of non-white nationalities who assimilate well. Mexicans, by a large percentage, do not.

When you feel a need to make these kind of personal digs, I know I've won the argument. I have facts. You have racist labels and insults that my facts easily disprove.

(YOU)

Wow, how mature. If a six-year-old were here to call you a poopy-face, I could match that level of intellect.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

I'm proud of who and what I am. I just don't feel like being photo-shopped into gay porn images and so forth. I've seen the delightful treatment you give Pariah, G-man and others.

I've never photoshopped anything. I joke around with pariah and have never attacked him. g-man is just as cowardly as you and hasn't posted a picture of himself so no one has photoshopped him either.

You fail again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I've never photoshopped anything.

Of course not. That might qualify as a "useful" skill.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Let's face it. If people want to come here, learn the language and work hard, I think we'd all welcome them. Hell, we'd probably all be in favor of amnesty and/or open borders.

True enough. Still, imagine my surprise to find out that even though I was born here, and despite the fact that Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth, that I am somehow part of some "invasion" against America or that being proud of my background meant that I have an "anti-American wet dream of a hispanicized America". One can be proud of their culture and still be proud to be an American citizen - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Oh, and for the record, dating one of us does not mitigate one's racism.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I've never photoshopped anything. I joke around with pariah and have never attacked him. g-man is just as cowardly as you and hasn't posted a picture of himself so no one has photoshopped him either.

You fail again.

Cowards are people who yell "racist" and other hate labels at anyone who disagrees with their political views, preferring slander to honest debate of the issues.

They don't have an image of G-man's face, so they use his avatar image of Gordon Liddy.

You fail again, rex. \:\(

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin
One can be proud of their culture and still be proud to be an American citizen - the two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think they are. I'm speaking more of people who refuse to assimilate at all.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

But time and time again we hear that isn't what's happening.

I don't think it's xenophobic or racist for WB, or anyone else, to expect that the current wave of immigrants follow the same procedures as past waves from places like Italy, China or Germany.

Heh. I'm watching Blazing Saddles as I read this thread.

Well, just to play devil's advocate for a moment, the history of legal immigrants hasn't been spotless (or bloodless) either. As I've said before, much of the history of this nation consists of recent arrivals coming into conflict with less recent arrivals. As a person of largely Irish descent myself, it'd be silly for me to gloss over the impact that the Irish had on the history of gang crime and organized crime in the United States. Since we're all human beings and we all like to hang onto our cultural peculiarities, we've all brought our collective cultural pros and cons to America with us. The Italians brought kickass food but also the Sicilian Black Hand, the Chinese brought bitchin' threads but also opium, the Germans elevated the production and consumption of both ground meat and beer to an art form but also brought lederhosen, and so on. All these people groups consisted of plenty of good, upstanding citizens, but they had their share of unsavory characters as well.

I think it'd be silly to suggest that one people group in particular is gonna have a disproportionately high percentage of shady characters. Almost all the groups mentioned above started out with elevated crime rates, not because of the sort of people they were, but because they were shoehorned into crapulent living conditions by the brillions. You can get all uppity and blame The Man™ for that if you want, but really it's just the ups and downs of Coming to America™. The difference is that legal immigration processes give Uncle Sam some control over those numbers, and to some extent those living conditions. Whenever you have an unmoderated flow of any people group into any region, it becomes next to impossible to prevent yes, demographic shifts, but also abrupt imbalances across innumerable little economic seesaws.

You can't balance an equation if the variables won't sit still. Except in calculus, but I haven't figured out how to get all those little symbol thingies to work with UBBCode. The issue I have with legal immigration has less than nothing to do with who's coming in. I mean come on, my brother's Guatemalan, half my mom's side of the family comes from either native Spanish-speaking places or native Portuguese-speaking places, and so on. My concern is that it's been so incredibly difficult over our nation's history for us all to find a balance, and the squabbles that have erupted have often been bloody in the extreme, that any time any group of people charges in with absolutely no mechanism to regulate their numbers or conduct, all hell is gonna break loose.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

One can be proud of their culture and still be proud to be an American citizen - the two are not mutually exclusive.

You can hispanicize my America the Beautiful any day of the week. Twice on Saturdays.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts

I don't think they are. I'm speaking more of people who refuse to assimilate at all.

"They" being...? Mexicans? All Latinos? I'm not slammin' you , G, just asking for a bit of clarification.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard