Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
 Quote:
John Gibson Mocks ‘Weirdo’ Heath Ledger’s Death: ‘He Found Out How To Quit You’

Opening his radio show with funeral music yesterday, Fox News host John Gibson callously mocked the death of actor Heath Ledger, calling him a “weirdo” with a “serious drug problem.”

Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, “I wish I knew how to quit you” from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, “Well, he found out how to quit you.” Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, “We’re dead,” followed by his own, mocking “We’re dead” before playing the clip again.

Listen to it: (at the link)

Throughout the course of the show, Gibson continued to bring up Ledger’s death while discussing current events, jokingly claiming that current events may have caused him to commit suicide.

On yesterday’s drop in the stock market:

Quote:
GIBSON: Maybe he had a serious position in the market.

TOM SULLIVAN: And possibly today, he looked at the window and said…

GIBSON: “Oh my God.”

SULLIVAN: His name’s not Keith Bledger, right?

GIBSON: He was depressed about yesterday’s downturn in the world stock markets.

On the Democratic debate in South Carolina:

Quote:
GIBSON: Apparently Heath Ledger was suicidal and his friends saw it coming. I think he watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant.

In reality, New York City Police spokesman Paul J. Browne told the New York Times that there was “no obvious indication of suicide.”

You stay classy, John Gibson.

UPDATE: In 2006, when Brokeback Mountain was released, Gibson repeatedly made fun of the film, calling it “a gay agenda movie.”

UPDATE II: Newshounds is encouraging readers to complain to Fox News about Gibson’s comments.[/b]

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Gibson sounds like a cool guy who would fit right in on this board.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

I don't think anyone who looks like a cross between John Voight and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula has solid ground to be calling anyone a "wierdo"

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why? Because you judge people on appearances, not actions, whomod?

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
both.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
With all due respect, given that pic of you that sometimes surfaces here, do you really think picking on Gibson for looking strange is a good idea?

And I find it very ironic that you having a fit about some TV commentator mocking Ledger when you've been quite happily joining in on the Ledger-fun here at the board until then.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Heath Ledger: Dan Abrams highlights attacks by right wingers

Dan Abrams and even Scarborough were offended by John Gibson’s mocking of Heath Ledger’s death by right wingers. Will O’Reilly read off a few homophobic comments made on his message board about Ledger to his audience? You knew some wingnuts would try to play the homophobia card on Ledger because of his role in Brokeback Mountain. Simply amazing. Well, not really…

Heath Ledger: Scarborough attacks John Gibson over taunts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I mean: take this guy for example:

Originally Posted By: whomod
OMG!!!! Heath Ledger Died!!!!!

Just tossing into the pile.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
With all due respect, given that pic of you that sometimes surfaces here, do you really think picking on Gibson for looking strange is a good idea?

That was like 15 years ago and on fucking Halloween, you dope! Gibson looks like Halloween every day!

Quote:
And I find it very ironic that you having a fit about some TV commentator mocking Ledger when you've been quite happily joining in on the Ledger-fun here at the board until then.

Yes. I 'mocked' him by starting two threads. One about your favourite films and one repeating that news that he had died with the post saying I started it to add to the litany of posts devoted to the topic. To you that apparently is mocking Ledger.

Or option 2 is that that is your attempt to again defend a fellow right winger by trying to make this about the person pointing out his poor form.

Listen, even if I did publicly mock Leger's death, I'm not a fucking TV personality that should show some professionalism and restraint as he purports to be a professional. Geez.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

I mean: take this guy for example:

OMG!!!! Heath Ledger Died!!!!!

Just tossing into the pile.

you can't possibly compare a joke on a message board that maybe 20 people actually read to a nationally syndicated talk show that is listened to by thousands or millions of people daily making comments that are picked up and replayed by many other national shows.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Come on guys: if anyone but a commentator on Fox had made the joke you wouldn't give a shit. But because some left wing blog got pissy about the joke the two of you have to jump on board and pretend to be outraged, even though we've been making the same types of jokes for two days now.

Try to be a little less transparent.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Come on guys: if anyone but a commentator on Fox had made the joke you wouldn't give a shit. But because some left wing blog got pissy about the joke the two of you have to jump on board and pretend to be outraged, even though we've been making the same types of jokes for two days now.

and i thought they were pretty tasteless. look through the threads, i didn't make any jokes. it's one thing when an old person dies or someone does something stupid or sometimes if it's clever but i don't find anything funny in the fact that his daughter lost a parent. i don't see any humor in the fact that he left people behind, which seems to be the subject of most of the jokes.
and really he didn't do anything to deserve this mocking. he wasn't a tom cruise type, he wasn't some nut. he was an actor with a family who once played a gay man in a movie.
bravo, g-man. you're a real class act.

Bow ties are coool.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I don't think the joke was as cut and dry as all that. Some of the joking wasn't making fun of Heath Ledger rather the joke was starting a thread pretending they didn't already know of his passing.

Take that for what you will.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow. Ray and Whomod are going all out to deny Whomod's hypocrisy. Why am I not surprised?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
I don't think the joke was as cut and dry as all that. Some of the joking wasn't making fun of Heath Ledger rather the joke was starting a thread pretending they didn't already know of his passing.

Take that for what you will.

I understand that, I just think some of them were in poor taste when they veered from making fun of the event to making fun of his family. I see no humor in his daughter having no father.
Stuff like the multiple announcments and the two day rememberances were humorous though.

Originally Posted By: Pariah
Wow. Ray and Whomod are going all out to deny Whomod's hypocrisy. Why am I not surprised?

how so? I specifically pointed out the difference between a message board and national radio show. I think it's also a little weird since just a week ago we were all saying positive things about his performance in Batman. It's not like this is Tom Cruise or Paris Hilton or one those obnoxious nutjobs who deserves mocking.

Bow ties are coool.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I agree with Ray and Whomod.....He is in a serious position of power(Gibson) and has no business of mocking someone the way he did. Ledger by all acounts seems to have been a great guy and this was simply a horrible accident. Fuck Gibson.

These boards can not be compared to a national news media outlet.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP

These boards can not be compared to a national news media outlet.

except for rob's famous blog, of course.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
how so? I specifically pointed out the difference between a message board and national radio show.

There is no difference.

Both are open forums and are viewable by enormous audiences.

Plus, we have this thing called "free speech."

Quote:
I think it's also a little weird since just a week ago we were all saying positive things about his performance in Batman. It's not like this is Tom Cruise or Paris Hilton or one those obnoxious nutjobs who deserves mocking.

We ALWAYS poke fun at pop culture events no matter how serious it may be. That's a fact of RKMB like.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
how so? I specifically pointed out the difference between a message board and national radio show.

There is no difference.

Quote:
I think it's also a little weird since just a week ago we were all saying positive things about his performance in Batman. It's not like this is Tom Cruise or Paris Hilton or one those obnoxious nutjobs who deserves mocking.

We ALWAYS poke fun at pop culture events no matter how serious it may be. That's a fact of RKMB like.

it's not a pop culture event, it's someone who died and people are making fun of the daughter he left behind and turning his widow into a punchline.
It's not a matter of free speech, it's a matter of taste. That kind of humor isn't even dark, it's just tacky.

And just because millions of people can look at the rkmbs, doesn't mean it's realistically more than 50 or so. His radio show is sent out to millions and is very public and these comments were probably heard by the family. it's sick. and you have to wonder what kind of person laughed when he did that.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I only made one Heath Ledger thread and it was not a poke at him, as it was a poke at all the Heath Ledger madness going on in here a few days ago.

I believe in free speech, so I can say Gibson's humour was in very bad taste.

I know what it is like to lose someone whom you loved with all your heart, so I can truly empasize with Michelle Williams and her 2 year old daughter.

It sucks bigtime.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

it's not a pop culture event, it's someone who died and people are making fun of the daughter he left behind and turning his widow into a punchline.
It's not a matter of free speech, it's a matter of taste. That kind of humor isn't even dark, it's just tacky.

A famous actor that dies in his prime is a pop culture event. If you don't find the joke funny, no one's forcing you to listen to it.

Quote:
And just because millions of people can look at the rkmbs, doesn't mean it's realistically more than 50 or so. His radio show is sent out to millions and is very public and these comments were probably heard by the family. it's sick. and you have to wonder what kind of person laughed when he did that.

So if the joke was broadcasted on Air America, you wouldn't care?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy57
I only made one Heath Ledger thread and it was not a poke at him, as it was a poke at all the Heath Ledger madness going on in here a few days ago.

Okay, so are we gonna have a bunch of people rationalizing their participation in the 'Heath Ledger's dead' gag just because someone outside the boards made the same joke?

Does anyone else find this shit hypocritical?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'm not rationalizing it. I'm an RKMBer gob dammit. I mock everything.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
John Gibson Mocks ‘Weirdo’ Heath Ledger’s Death: ‘He Found Out How To Quit You’

Opening his radio show with funeral music yesterday, Fox News host John Gibson callously mocked the death of actor Heath Ledger, calling him a “weirdo” with a “serious drug problem.”

Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, “I wish I knew how to quit you” from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, “Well, he found out how to quit you.” Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, “We’re dead,” followed by his own, mocking “We’re dead” before playing the clip again.

Listen to it: (at the link)

Throughout the course of the show, Gibson continued to bring up Ledger’s death while discussing current events, jokingly claiming that current events may have caused him to commit suicide.

On yesterday’s drop in the stock market:

Quote:
GIBSON: Maybe he had a serious position in the market.

TOM SULLIVAN: And possibly today, he looked at the window and said…

GIBSON: “Oh my God.”

SULLIVAN: His name’s not Keith Bledger, right?

GIBSON: He was depressed about yesterday’s downturn in the world stock markets.

On the Democratic debate in South Carolina:

Quote:
GIBSON: Apparently Heath Ledger was suicidal and his friends saw it coming. I think he watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant.

In reality, New York City Police spokesman Paul J. Browne told the New York Times that there was “no obvious indication of suicide.”

You stay classy, John Gibson.

UPDATE: In 2006, when Brokeback Mountain was released, Gibson repeatedly made fun of the film, calling it “a gay agenda movie.”

UPDATE II: Newshounds is encouraging readers to complain to Fox News about Gibson’s comments.[/b]

that was funny, thanks for posting! we should invite gibson to post here!

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
But he apologized! No self-respecting (or even self-loathing) RKMBer ever apologizes for anything, no matter how tasteless or offensive the joke! He doesn't deserve to be among us!

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
Heath's a Weirdo
few posts
Heath's a Weirdo
few posts
 Originally Posted By: The Pun-isher
But he apologized! No self-respecting (or even self-loathing) RKMBer ever apologizes for anything, no matter how tasteless or offensive the joke! He doesn't deserve to be among us!

\:\(

It wasn't me. Rupert Murdoch made me apologize. Those damn Ozzies stick together.

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
 Originally Posted By: John Gibson

\:\(

It wasn't me. Rupert Murdoch made me apologize. Those damn Ozzies stick together.

*SMACK*

That's another thing we don't do 'round these parts! We don't shift the blame onto corporate CEOs, you candy-ass Fox-scimile of an RKMBer!

Heath's a Weirdo
few posts
Heath's a Weirdo
few posts

That's another thing we don't do 'round these parts! We don't shift the blame onto corporate CEOs, you candy-ass Fox-scimile of an RKMBer!

From what I've read of Ray-man and whomod's posts, that isn't true. They're always blaming the corporations (and Fox News) for everything. I was just trying to fit on.

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
 Originally Posted By: John Gibson

From what I've read of Ray-man and whomod's posts, that isn't true. They're always blaming the corporations (and Fox News) for everything. I was just trying to fit on.

Yeah, and look how they're treated because of it.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you forgot to stick to you gimmick, you should be punished!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, and look how they're treated because of it.

Which brings me to my next point: Do people really put much effort into making alts anymore?

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-01-26 2:43 AM.
ghost
25+ posts
ghost
25+ posts
fuck you john gibson. wooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts

There is no difference.

The fact that you actually posted that and expected to be taken seriously is hilarious.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts

John Gibson is being raked over the coals allover the television. In the past 2 days, I saw them run the story on E! News, the local news, the network news, cable news, the local paper. And not one of these forums had anything pleasant to say about it.

The heat was so hot that your boy had to publicly apologize for his statements. So try to make it about me 'pretending to be outraged' all you want G-Man. It seems a lot of people were outraged. But again, it simply serves to demonstrate a particular nature in the FOX punditry. And EVERYONE can see it now plain as day.

Here's the last time your boy said something sooo stupid that it was publicly slapped down :

Quote:
I myself had some idiot [John Gibson] from FOX playing the tape of me after Sept. 11th, very upset and then calling me a phony because apparently my grief didn’t mean acquiescence… - John Stewart

Lounge Lizard
few posts
Lounge Lizard
few posts
When I heard the news I watched Brokeback mountain again. Laughed my ass off. So some idiot in the "prime" of his time dies. Whether accidental or not who gives a fuck? This is why people like me and Heathie-boy need to hire security. You guys want to know too much about us.

Let the little fucker rest in peace, enjoy his shit, rifle his pockets for loose change and be done with it, you morons.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
The fact that you actually posted that and expected to be taken seriously is hilarious.

Should I take this to mean that you don't think both are open forums?

ghost
25+ posts
ghost
25+ posts
john gibson can suck my ghosty balls. woooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!!!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

Should I take this to mean that you don't think both are open forums?

technically his show isn't an open forum. he, like every radio host, screens calls ends calls when he doesn't like the direction it's taking and generally the whole format and tone of the show is controlled by one man.
these boards have a very very small audience, his show has a large audience. no one is talking about censoring him, we're saying he's an asshole for what he said. just because you have the freedom to be an asshole, doesn't mean it's moral to be one.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
technically his show isn't an open forum. he, like every radio host, screens calls ends calls when he doesn't like the direction it's taking and generally the whole format and tone of the show is controlled by one man.

That's basically Rob's position as well. He's just a lot more lenient.

But I'll humor your position for a moment: What if the boards got a bigger reader base...Say a million posters/viewers. Do you think we should censor ourselves in the event of such a huge migration?

Quote:
these boards have a very very small audience, his show has a large audience. no one is talking about censoring him,

Give it time.

Quote:
we're saying he's an asshole for what he said. just because you have the freedom to be an asshole, doesn't mean it's moral to be one.

Morals? What qualifies as "moral" exactly? Censoring one's feelings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard