Print Thread
#917216 2008-01-27 8:59 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
National Review
  • The United Nations recently announced that it is teaming up with Marvel Comics. The unlikely partnership will publish a comic featuring the usual Marvel superheros working mask-in-glove with U.N. peacekeeping forces and agencies such as UNICEF. Their mission: to bring peace to war torn nations and rid the world of disease.

No doubt the Marvel heroes — if they really existed — would pursue these objectives with single-minded dedication. But it’s doubtful they would achieve them with the U.N. as a sidekick.

Over the years, the U.N. has often been a den of thieves and thugs — a legion of villains rather than of heroes. In the past few years alone, Turtle Bay has seen an avalanche of scandals and crimes.

Considering this decidedly unheroic record, the U.N. could certainly use some super friends to clean up the messes it has made. Here are some suggestions for the first comic episodes:
    • 1. “Cocooning Cruelty” — Spider-Man swings into a meeting of the Human Rights Council, webs up representatives from Cuba, China, and other rights-abusing nations, and introduces a motion to condemn rights violations in “some country, any country other than Israel.”

2. “Clobberin’ Time in the Congo” — Bored by the daily cocktail parties in the U.N.’s penthouse suite at Hotel Metropol, The Thing ventures to eastern Congo and smashes an arms-dealing ring run by U.N. peacekeepers.

3. “Nukes Not Yours” — While the Security Council debates just how strongly to word its next round of letters to Tehran and Pyongyang, The Avengers sneak out and forcefully dismantle the nuclear weapons programs in North Korea and Iran.
      Of course, if superheroes were real and decided to pursue these worthy missions, the U.N. would hotly condemn them for acting “unilaterally.” The entire pantheon of Marvel heroes would have to twiddle their thumbs until the U.N. issued a comprehensive, “consensus” set of regulations to keep them from going “too far” in fighting injustice.
  • The very notion that today’s U.N. is eager to embark on heroic struggles against evildoers defies reality. But reality is no check on propaganda, which explains why the organization is so keen to team up with Marvel. The U.N.-themed comic will be distributed free to one million U.S. school children in hundreds of schools. The U.N. also plans to translate it into other languages and distribute them around the world.

Why? A U.N. communications officer explains that the comic will make the U.N. “more accessible” to young people who will “get excited if they know their heroes like Spider-Man will work with the United Nations to address these issues, peace and security.”

Marvel Comics became a publishing powerhouse because their superheroes had flaws and were therefore more “realistic” than their competitors’ offerings. How ironic that Marvel’s “realistic” heroes will be used to burnish the image of an often ineffective organization, subject to corruption, lacking in accountability, and serving as a soapbox for the world’s most despotic nations.

Ironic, but — sadly — not surprising. After all, these are the same guys who previously thought it would be a good idea to kill Captain America.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
go to hell marvel.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
the U.N. is a joke. anyone who thinks they're a force for fixing this shit hole of a world are ignorant of reality.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
the U.N. is a joke. anyone who thinks they're a force for fixing this shit hole of a world are ignorant of reality.

Well, let's not forget who's in charge of Marvel these days...

Maybe the Avengers can, for example, end the suffering in Darfur by making a deal with Mephisto or something.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I love how the G-Man tries to bring political threads in non-political forums....

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Maybe you should blame Marvel for becoming UN toadies.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
"i come from the water" sucked ass.

Why so serious?
25+ posts
Why so serious?
25+ posts
"i cum in the water" sucked cock.

But I watched it anyway.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
I love how the G-Man tries to bring political threads in non-political forums....

yeah it's annoying. also annoying that it's a front page item so g-man gets to spread his views disguised as a comic book link so people who don't want to read his political views will be suckered in.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Ray's views must be awfully indefensible if he can't stomach the idea of being "suckered" into reading an opposing opinion.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Asseble

ass...e....ble

as....se....ble

Assemble?

I Win!

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Poor Gay-Man, out spelled by bunny!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
UN should make a deal with DC and publish free T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents comics. Then make a deal with the company that owns the rights for The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

As for the corruption within the UN, I regard it like a corrupt police force: corruption is bad, but that does not mean we shouldn't have a (law-abiding) police force. It would help if veto rights for the five great powers in the Security Council were revoked.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Wonder Boy content User leaving Whomod, rex and Ray Adler to fry in their own bile
3000+ posts Wed May 14 2008 12:06 AM Viewing a private message

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
I'm in favour of the UN - in fact i'd quite like to work for the UN - but then I don't view it as a police force or some sort of sovereign nation. Instead, I've actually read the UN charter.

If the UN and Marvel see benefit in teaming up then cool.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Link Copied to Clipboard