Next Thread
Print Thread
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Anyone else read this?

The end was so fuckin' depressing. Yes, the world is recovering from the plague and cloning has been perfected enough that they are starting to clone men, but Yorick's life has been in the shitter since 355 was killed. Throughout the series, Vaughan mixed up the darker moments with some levity, but this issue was a complete downer. The title takes place 60 years later and it boils down to: Everyone dies, and Yorick ends up imprisoned by his own daughter, locked away in a straight jacket, reminiscing about everyone he has lost over the years. It's the first time that I've disliked something that Vaughan has written.

I s'pose after 355's murder it was too much to hope that things would start to look up for him, but still - a life filled with loneliness and grief was how Vaughan wanted to end things for Yorick? Wiping out half the world's population wasn't tragic enough? Christ.

Spoilers.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How did 355 die? And what turned out to be the plague?

Don't really care so much about Yorick--Him being a douche and all.

I haven't read this since the fifth TPB.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
355 got sniped by that Isrealie army chick. I thought I read the plague was evolution kicking in after dr. mann cloned herself, but I wasn't regular on the series for the last 20 or so issues so I'm not sure exactly. that wouldn't explain how yorick survived.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I read that evolution part, but I got the feeling that-that was just a faux climax that helped build up to the real reason. The idea was so absurd, it felt like it came right out of the final acts of Watchmen, so I was pretty confident that he was building up to the plague having something to do with the pendant 355 took from the middle eastern chick.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
the plague was caused by Doctor Mann's father. Ampersand was one of his lab monkies but due to a shipping error (the helper monkey going to Yorrick and Ampersand got out of their cages at the airport and were put back in the wrong ones).

Bow ties are coool.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
im glad this series is dead.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Yorick has a kid? Did he ever find his girlfriend? What the hell is he in prison for?

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I gave up on it somewhere around issue 7.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
I liked the issue. The truth is there was no real "happy" way to end this series. Not after all that yorick has been through. But seeing him pull an escape artist trick one last time to free himself was a nice way to end it I thought...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi
Yorick has a kid? Did he ever find his girlfriend? What the hell is he in prison for?

yes. yes. he was a crazy old man.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
the plague was caused by Doctor Mann's father.

So that wasn't just a misleading plot device? Vaughn actually said all things are empathically linked to their respective evolutionary status'?

Wow. I really really really really REALLY wish I hadn't bought the TPBs.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
The New York Times

• FANS tend to be in obsessive awe of Brian K. Vaughan, the 31-year-old co-producer of the ABC show “Lost” and the writer of the popular comic book “Y: The Last Man,” created with the artist Pia Guerra.

So what happened the other night when around 100 collaborators, friends and comic junkies came to Meltdown Comics, a shop on West Sunset Boulevard, to toast the recently published 60th and final issue of “Y”? A lot of hero-worship for a reluctant hero.

“It’s Brian’s night, and I’m geeking out,” said Joss Whedon, 43, the creator of the television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

Even though the comic-book series is over, “I’ll still be stalking Brian,” said Nick Igoe, 23, a fan who had traveled from Minneapolis and wore a “Y” sweatshirt embroidered by his grandmother.

Also on hand was Jeff Garlin, 45, the “Curb Your Enthusiasm” star, looking relatively trim in a sweatshirt and jeans, and holding a bagful of just-purchased comics. “I have a mad crush on ‘Y: The Last Man,’ ” he said.

Baby-faced, bald and clad in a black suit, a black shirt, black dress shoes and red socks, Mr. Vaughan was cowed by the attention. “I’m totally mortified,” he said. “ ‘Y’ is just the product of five years alone in a room.”

“Y: The Last Man” is the saga of Yorick Brown, a commitment-phobic escape artist who is the lone survivor of a plague that wipes out the male population of Earth; he and a Capuchin monkey named Ampersand travel a world inhabited entirely by women.

A stand-in for Ampersand, named Zuni, was posing for photographs beside a beverage cooler in the shape of R2-D2.

“I jokingly told the store I would do this event if they had a live monkey,” said Mr. Vaughan, who slipped Zuni’s trainer a $5 tip.

Ms. Guerra, 36, was particularly enchanted by the animal. “I’ve never seen a live monkey before,” she said. “I cheated and based Ampersand on my cat.”

Damon Lindelof, 34, a creator and the executive producer of “Lost,” explained why he offered Mr. Vaughan a job on “Lost.”

“Brian spends at least 93 percent of his life apologizing,” Mr. Lindelof said. “He has an idea brain. And he hates himself like we do.”

During a question-and-answer session, Mr. Vaughan apologized to the crowd for making everybody come out on a Friday night. He explained that the writers’ strike had put the movie adaptation of “Y” in “sort of a Han Solo cryogenic freeze.”

When Mr. Whedon told the audience that he had wiped away tears as he read the last issue of “Y,” Mr. Vaughan’s face turned the color of his socks. “He’s the whole reason I became a writer,” Mr. Vaughan said later.

After the Meltdown party, Mr. Vaughan and company headed to Ye Coach and Horses, a nearby British-theme bar. Mr. Vaughan said the end of the series was finally hitting him.

“It’s been like the five stages of dealing with death,” he said. “Tonight was really the acceptance, and I’m at peace with that. It’s actually a nice feeling. And now, I need a drink.”

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
the plague was caused by Doctor Mann's father.

So that wasn't just a misleading plot device? Vaughn actually said all things are empathically linked to their respective evolutionary status'?

That's crap.

Well, I gave up after the 5th tpb too. The series overstayed its welcome. It was just too drawn out for what it was.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Some things I don't really understand because I missed so many, but when did Hero start fucking Beth? I thought that was just plain weird.

Last edited by Stupid Doog; 2008-02-19 12:37 AM. Reason: women can't screw. they fuck.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
Some things I don't really understand because I missed so many, but when did Hero start fucking Beth? I thought that was just plain weird.

That was a "twist" they threw in in the very last issue.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Yorick has a kid?

Aye. Having nookie will do that sometimes. He hooked up with some chippie early on and had a kid, though he didn't know it for a long while.

Quote:
Did he ever find his girlfriend?

Yes, but he realized that he was in love with 355 an issue later.

Quote:
What the hell is he in prison for?

He tried to kill himself, so his daughter, who in the last ish is now President of France, had him locked away and put in a straight jacket to protect him from himself.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Pah.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin
Yorick has a kid?

Aye. Having nookie will do that sometimes. He hooked up with some chippie early on and had a kid, though he didn't know it for a long while.

Quote:
Did he ever find his girlfriend?

Yes, but he realized that he was in love with 355 an issue later.

Quote:
 Quote:
What the hell is he in prison for?

He tried to kill himself, so his daughter, who in the last ish is now President of France, had him locked away and put in a straight jacket to protect him from himself.

Sounds like someone shot a load of Gay all over the script.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"

Link Copied to Clipboard