Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
A courageous hero of the civil rights era has passed. We can thank them for the freedoms we all take for granted and once again are reminded that this crap happened recently enough to be within our or our direct relatives lifetimes. Which to me says that it's still recent enough to have the people who enforced and who supported this crap to still be alive and influencing people with their bigotry.

Thankfully there are always people like Mildred Loving and Rosa Parks who just stand up and defy what is established and accepted.

Quote:
Mildred Loving, matriarch of interracial marriage, dies

By DIONNE WALKER – 15 hours ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Mildred Loving, a black woman whose challenge to Virginia's ban on interracial marriage led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling striking down such laws nationwide, has died, her daughter said Monday.

Peggy Fortune said Loving, 68, died Friday at her home in rural Milford. She did not disclose the cause of death.

"I want (people) to remember her as being strong and brave yet humble — and believed in love," Fortune told The Associated Press.

Loving and her white husband, Richard, changed history in 1967 when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld their right to marry. The ruling struck down laws banning racially mixed marriages in at least 17 states.

"There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the equal protection clause," the court ruled in a unanimous decision.

Her husband died in 1975. Shy and soft-spoken, Loving shunned publicity and in a rare interview with The Associated Press last June, insisted she never wanted to be a hero — just a bride.

"It wasn't my doing," Loving said. "It was God's work."

Mildred Jeter was 11 when she and 17-year-old Richard began courting, according to Phyl Newbeck, a Vermont author who detailed the case in the 2004 book, "Virginia Hasn't Always Been for Lovers."

She became pregnant a few years later, she and Loving got married in Washington in 1958, when she was 18. Mildred told the AP she didn't realize it was illegal.

"I think my husband knew," Mildred said. "I think he thought (if) we were married, they couldn't bother us."

But they were arrested a few weeks after they returned to Central Point, their hometown in rural Caroline County north of Richmond. They pleaded guilty to charges of "cohabiting as man and wife, against the peace and dignity of the Commonwealth," according to their indictments.

They avoided jail time by agreeing to leave Virginia — the only home they'd known — for 25 years. They moved to Washington for several years, then launched a legal challenge by writing to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, who referred the case to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Attorneys later said the case came at the perfect time — just as lawmakers passed the Civil Rights Act, and as across the South, blacks were defying Jim Crow's hold.

"The law that threatened the Lovings with a year in jail was a vestige of a hateful, discriminatory past that could not stand in the face of the Lovings' quiet dignity," said Steven Shapiro, national legal director for the ACLU.

"We loved each other and got married," she told The Washington Evening Star in 1965, when the case was pending. "We are not marrying the state. The law should allow a person to marry anyone he wants."

After the Supreme Court ruled, the couple returned to Virginia, where they lived with their children, Donald, Peggy and Sidney. Each June 12, the anniversary of the ruling, Loving Day events around the country mark the advances of mixed-race couples.

Richard Loving died in a car accident that also injured his wife. "They said I had to leave the state once, and I left with my wife," he told the Star in 1965. "If necessary, I will leave Virginia again with my wife, but I am not going to divorce her."

Maybe one day we'll be at the point in this country where intermarriage makes race irrelevent.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Um according to the story the husband was the brave one. He knew the marriage was illegal but loved her so much he wanted to marry her anyway. She said she didn't realize it was illegal. Way to twist a story whomod. Then again he's a white guy so you likely think he did it for oil and political gain.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

Maybe one day we'll be at the point in this country where intermarriage makes race irrelevent.

Not as long as "interracial" people like Alicia Keys, Halle Berry and Barack Hussein Obama continue to call themselves "black" or "African American," deny their white parentage (or call their white grandmothers racist) and view the world through a racial prism.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills, Mr. Adler. And your racial sensitivities.

Whomod said that he hoped interracial marriage would produce a society where race was irrelevant. I agreed, but observed that a number prominent interracial persons do, in fact, identify themselves with a partcular race. I further observed that their doing so tended to prevent the sort of happy scenario that whomod envisions.

In return you, Raymond Adler, chose to identify those interracial celebrities as "black" in direct contradiction to the hope that whomod and I expressed. You chose to catagorize these interracial Americans in racial terms.

Take of the white hood, Ray, and stop judgeing people based on a nonexistent race.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Maybe 30 years from now people will marvel at why some were so hung up on gay people marrying.

As I say, it's always easy to go with the flow.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Bow ties are coool.
whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Seeing as how the general mindset of most people here seems to be one of not rocking the boat and going by societal norms, I'd say they'd be angrily against Rosa Parks and the Loving's if it was 40 years ago.

"Why won't she sit in the back of the bus". to quote a funny cartoon from "Bowling For Columbine"

After all, some here can't for the life of them understand why Rev. Wright is so pissed off at white people. As if no one ever denied Rev. Wright a seat at the counter, as if he never had to drink from a separate fountain, as if he never had to sit in the back of the bus, as if he never had to endure racial epithets and was unable to openly reciprocate, as if he never had to live under laws that told him who he could date and marry and who he could not. If I were some of you, I'd be eternally grateful that black people didn't join en masse and start taking revenge on the lot of you.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
After all that Wright had to live thru, an angry sermon should be the least of people's worries.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
So racial hate is okay if you're a black man?

Listen, I don't think anyone would fault Rev. Wright if he talked about how the white man made him sit at the back of the bus, drink from a separate fountain, or made him go to segregated and inferior schools. But it's a big jump from that to the white government creating and putting AIDS into the black community.

Grow the fuck up.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

After all, some here can't for the life of them understand why Rev. Wright is so pissed off at white people. As if no one ever denied Rev. Wright a seat at the counter, as if he never had to drink from a separate fountain, as if he never had to sit in the back of the bus, as if he never had to endure racial epithets and was unable to openly reciprocate, as if he never had to live under laws that told him who he could date and marry and who he could not. If I were some of you, I'd be eternally grateful that black people didn't join en masse and start taking revenge on the lot of you.

I never did those things to anyone, so I really don't have to worry about anything.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The irony here is, of course, the fact that I agreed with some of what whomod said about the ideal. I only questioned whether the ideal could be achieved.

I'm not sure why that caused him to fly into a speech about gay marriage, btw. I guess he's projecting his own needs again.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
G-man would rather be half-scarred by acid than be half-black.
one look at his avatar proves my point.

Bow ties are coool.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Actually, he's a bit of both.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Seeing as how the general mindset of most people here seems to be one of not rocking the boat and going by societal norms, I'd say they'd be angrily against Rosa Parks and the Loving's if it was 40 years ago.

"Why won't she sit in the back of the bus". to quote a funny cartoon from "Bowling For Columbine"

So your saying if a racist white person denied Wright a seat at the counter you can understand why Wright is mad at all white people?

You'd be grateful that black people didn't take revenge on the lot of you? When did I ever do anything against a black person? Why would they take revenge on me? I can't really understand you. It seems you are saying that black people were treated unfairly because of their skin, but you think that because some white person did bad things that everyone with the same skin is lucky they weren't killed.

I do feel pity for you for your hatred whomod. There are white racists for sure, but the majority of white people aren't. As long as you continue to lash out at people based on their color, you are no better than the people that put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus for her color. You are a disgusting human being, but you have to live with yourself.

Continue to spew your hatred on the internet, I'm sure no one wants to hear it in the real world.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Are you saying we should be like you and say how great we are in all of our posts?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

So your saying if a racist white person denied Wright a seat at the counter you can understand why Wright is mad at all white people?

You'd be grateful that black people didn't take revenge on the lot of you? When did I ever do anything against a black person? Why would they take revenge on me? I can't really understand you. It seems you are saying that black people were treated unfairly because of their skin, but you think that because some white person did bad things that everyone with the same skin is lucky they weren't killed.

I do feel pity for you for your hatred whomod. There are white racists for sure, but the majority of white people aren't. As long as you continue to lash out at people based on their color, you are no better than the people that put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus for her color. You are a disgusting human being, but you have to live with yourself.

Continue to spew your hatred on the internet, I'm sure no one wants to hear it in the real world.

You don't sound very grateful that black people en masse are not taking revenge against you for something you never did nor condoned.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I never learned to whatever the hell it is!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Spoken like a true oppressor!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
this is the best altered thread title ever.

Bow ties are coool.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You're having to promote your own altered thread title? How very Snarfian of you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, very Snarfian

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
very clumsy attempt, G-man.
i mean that wasn't just bad, that was "MisterJLA" bad.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ray Adler

What I love best: wasting space on the politics forum

\:damn\:

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not surprised that whomod went to the "YouTube card" after bsams kicked his ass. Again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Not only that, but he goes for a Michael Moore clip too.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Poor whomod.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Wow. That was literally some of the stupidest shit I have ever seen.

Seriously. Factually inaccurate, poorly animated, terrible voice work. It was a failure on every level.

No, wait, I take that back. It obviously succeeds as pornography to a particular strain of extreme moonbat leftist.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Not as long as "interracial" people like Alicia Keys, Halle Berry and Barack Hussein Obama continue to call themselves "black" or "African American," deny their white parentage (or call their white grandmothers racist) and view the world through a racial prism.

Um...there is no standardized category for people of mixed parentage if one of those parents is not caucasian. The accepted standard is that if one is at least one fourth racial minority (quadroon), then one is considered to be that minority.

Now, I guess that people of mixed parentage could check "other" or "white" on those forms that ask them to identify their race but, since most children of mixed parentage tend to have more physical characteristics of the minority parent, they will typically be viewed and treated as such.

For instance...Tiger Woods calls himself cablanasian...however, he is always referred to as black or African American. He can categorize himself anyway he choose but perception will usually rule.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Certainly, the can choose what to call themselves, but by picking one race or another they are perpetuating the idea that there are separate races. And as long as that idea exists its impossible to truly have a colorblind society, or at least one as imagined by whomod.

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
It's not the idea...it's the reality.

If the majority of people on the planet...or at least in this country...were of mixed race parentage, I believe that we would stop defining ourselves by one race or another. We would just become "people"...or "Americans" with no modifier...or "humans".

Are you willing to allow your daughters to marry and have children with a minority in order to take one step closer to thios utopian society?

yeah...didn't think so.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
my grandma was 1/2 shawneee indian, my nephew is half mexican, i dont define them by race,my family doesnt define them by race, we dont define ourselves by race. i think that there is an over self conscientiousness by some people that america in general gives a crap what color your skin is...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Are you willing to allow your daughters to marry and have children with a minority in order to take one step closer to thios utopian society?

Um, my wife is a Hispanic, Asian, Carribbean, Dutch, Jew.

In other words, she-and my kids-are mixed race. Picture skin and hair color somewhere in the general skin tone and hair color of Jessica Alba (circa "Dark Angel" and pre-FF dye jobs).

In fact, given my wife's Carribean heritage, there's a good chance she's at least part black.

And I'm part Mohawk Indian. Though I inherited by Irish and Polish grandparents pasty white skin.

So why would I give a fuck if one of the kids marries a black person? Because I'm...Republican?

NOW who's stereotyping?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
i think that there is an over self conscientiousness by some people that america in general gives a crap what color your skin is...

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
whomod, and the bastards responses on this board are exactly why Obama going to a church like Trinity for 20 years makes for a dangerous president. obviously whomod and TB believe anyone white doesnt want "mixed" family or what have you, and it's really silly. are their racist white people? sure, but not the majority. it's really weird seeing people who feel their race has been wronged, blanketly condemning another race....

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
my grandma was 1/2 shawneee indian, my nephew is half mexican, i dont define them by race,my family doesnt define them by race, we dont define ourselves by race. i think that there is an over self conscientiousness by some people that america in general gives a crap what color your skin is...

Perhaps you don't define them by race simply because they are members of your family. You think of them as people before anything else. I've 'known' you for a very long time, bsams...since 2000. I think that you accept certain members of racial groups if you feel like you know them and they fit into your definition of cool...the whole "some of my best friends are..." deal.

I also think that if a black guy that you didn't know...let's say me f'r instance...walked down your street minding his own, you'd be on the porch with a rifle making sure that I didn't rape no white wimmens.

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:

Um, my wife is a Hispanic, Asian, Carribbean, Dutch, Jew.

In other words, she-and my kids-are mixed race. Picture skin and hair color somewhere in the general skin tone and hair color of Jessica Alba (circa "Dark Angel" and pre-FF dye jobs).

In fact, given my wife's Carribean heritage, there's a good chance she's at least part black.

And I'm part Mohawk Indian. Though I inherited by Irish and Polish grandparents pasty white skin.

So why would I give a fuck if one of the kids marries a black person? Because I'm...Republican?

NOW who's stereotyping?

Your wife's heritage may include some African DNA but if she looks like Ms. Alba, she appears white. Sorry but that's the bizness. Some of you white folks kill me trying to find some tenuous link to some minority in order to appear all accepting of the rest of us. My wife is mixed...she's black and some various mixture of European. If you saw her she looks similar to Halle Berry. In other words, definitely black. She indentifies and IS identified as such. Do you wife and kids identify themselves as anything other than white...? Even though they have mixed heritage?

And you not accepting a black man into your family has nothing to do with your politics. It has to do with the my opinion that you are a bigot.

Oderint, dum metuant.

-USCHI showin' some love

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard