Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Fair enough. But, I still stand by the idea that it was having to focus so much of his campaign on shoring up the base due to guys like Rush and Hannity that really put him on the defensive throughout this election.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i thought obama's speech was really well done, as well. yes, yes, its all just words and fluff and typical political jargon. still, it's hopeful. hope isn't a better economy, or the end to terrorism, the fixing of wars, or even the return of the little sound things beneath user's avatars on the rkmbs. honest, it isn't. but there isn't anything wrong with hope. its a good thing, and a great starting place. even if his entire term is nothing more than a fluff piece, it can't be a bad thing to start feeling hopeful again.

i have many differences in opinions and policies with the guy, and worst of all, i just don't know that much about him yet (and not for lack of trying -- certain commentators on cnn tonight were even pointing out that we've never not known so much about a president elect before, much less a candidate). buuuut, he's the president, my president, and he gets a fair shot by me, at the very least.

giant picture
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But if McCain has been more conservative to begin with he wouldn't have had to shore up the base and Rush and Hannity wouldn't have been critical of him.

Also, let's face it: McCain got hoisted on his own petard. He's the architect of campaign finance, which Obama apparently violated hand over fist.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Obama tricked him into bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
But if McCain has been more conservative to begin with he wouldn't have had to shore up the base and Rush and Hannity wouldn't have been critical of him.

Also, let's face it: McCain got hoisted on his own petard. He's the architect of campaign finance, which Obama apparently violated hand over fist.

I'll give you that. But, after he had gotten the nomination, they should've been more supportive in getting him over with the core. Instead, they tore him apart and then expected their "seeing the light" to undo the damage that had already been done. It failed. And, by way of that, McCain failed. All they had to do was be honest and say, "He isn't the most conservative pick. But, he is our pick." Then, they could've pointed out some of his strong conservative points. Instead, they just attacked him and made his job more difficult.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
who do you think will fill out obama's cabinet?

powell is more or less assured a spot, no? secretary of state?

could obama make a "connecting" choice as mccain for sec. of defense?

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Actually, as soon as he picked Palin (which was a week before he got the nomination) both Limbaugh and Hannity started supporting him big time.

This is why the whole "Palin cost him the election" thing is a lie. She's the only reason he held on to as much of his base as he did.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

I'm hoping for powell as a cabinet member. The best presidents always surround themselves with intelligent people.

Its sad that we already know the kind of people obama surrounds himself with.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

No. Obama owes too many favors to too many crazy liberals. Expect a cabinet of people like the worst aspects of the Clinton adminstration (the Madeline Albrights and Sandy Bergers). The closet thing to a "Republican" you'll see in his administration would be either someone like Powell or that anti-war GOP Senator Richard Lugar.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
William Ayers will be secretary of blowing our own shit up.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Luger would be dumb enough to take a spot.

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
Who will be the reverand of the KKK of A?!??!?!

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Once again, I agree. But, I think they should have been supportive before that. Instead, they took him to task for not being conservative enough although the nation had already selected him to be the Republican nominee. At the point of him getting the nod, they should've done the right thing and towed the party line. After 2006, it was clear that any Republican nominee would have an uphill climb. The least they could have done is make it a little bit less of an incline.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Senator McCain has the robust strength of character to be gracious in defeat, and the power to silence a chorus of boos for his rival using only his bare hands. President Elect Obama can likewise be both gracious and statesmanlike in victory.

The G-man, whose politics I have always felt are driven by deep-seated issues he has or had with his mother, posts a frontpage graphic that whatever its confused intentions, evokes memories of racist lynchings.

Rob, you are better than this. I know that you lean to the right and that tonight your man lost, but this kind of thing frontpaging your site makes you look like a raving Prussian Blue fanboy.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: backwards7
Senator McCain has the robust strength of character to be gracious in defeat, and the power to silence a chorus of boos for his rival using only his bare hands. President Elect Obama can likewise be both gracious and statesmanlike in victory.

The G-man, whose politics I have always felt are driven by deep-seated issues he has or had with his mother, posts a frontpage graphic that whatever its confused intentions, evokes memories of racist lynchings.

Rob, you are better than this. I know that you lean to the right and that tonight your man lost, but this kind of thing frontpaging your site makes you look like a raving Prussian Blue fanboy.

Hey, Whomod!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I see it begins already. Criticize Obama and be censored. Any reference to Obama not completely laudatory will be labeled "racist."

You're probably one of those idiots who thinks that "picnic" is a racist term for "lynching" aren't you?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

A McCain pick would be cool but would McCain go for it?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not going to happen. If there's an area of governance where Obama and McCain are most at odds, its' military policy.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

you must abide by The Fairness Doctrine robert!

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
I mean wake up people the ANTI-sentiment was way more toward McCain....come on wake up I dont care who you favored...the media FUCKED MCCAIN AND PALIN look at the shirts dissing them! Look at the effigies HANGING Palin noone commented on! Look at the black Panthers intemidating white voters in PA! No one reports that....

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the silence was deafening with the Panthers in Philly.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

agreed

(and hi bw7! long time, no see!)

Rob, you are better than this. I know that you lean to the right and that tonight your man lost,

i liked mccain more, but i never hated obama, and stated as much many times, including tonight (and particularly well in this thread, i thought)

and the people of the forums have spoken about my centered status! the people, bw7. ...the people...

but this kind of thing frontpaging your site makes you look like a raving Prussian Blue fanboy.

i know not of these prussians, but they sound delicious!

frontpaged graphics, truth be told, is a concern i no longer have the pleasure of time for. i don't look at the front page or go to it. i honestly wish i was still very invested in it, but i'm not. if the images there are a statement on me, then i'll have to just accept the blanket point, cuz i dont want to do anything about it with my random minutes of free time. no offense to the prussians.

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

A McCain pick would be cool but would McCain go for it?

if the opportunity presented itself, i think he'd go for it.

a secretary of defense title is perfect, too. it's mccain's strength and obama's weakest point. plus, it's the optimal "bridge crossing" type gesture. what better way to unite the country and prove your dedication to it than joining together both political parties major candidates under one party?

it'd be a tremendous move.

giant picture
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

The G-man, ...posts a frontpage graphic that whatever its confused intentions, evokes memories of racist lynchings.

Did I miss something, or are you referring to the OBEY one? 'Cause that's from a classic Kurt Russel movie, "They Live." Hilarious crappy film, I highly recommend it. especially if you liked "Big Trouble in Little China."

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

if the opportunity presented itself, i think he'd go for it.

No and no. Seriously, Rob, you're a good guy but this is stupid talk. As mentioned above, of all the policies that Obama and McCain disagree on, their strongest differences are on military issues. Obama ran in the primaries as the anti-war candidate. McCain ran as the pro-war guy who supported the surge before the surge was cool.

There is no way in hell Obama would ask him and no way McCain would say yes. They are just that different on the issue.

Originally Posted By: Uschi

The G-man, ...posts a frontpage graphic that whatever its confused intentions, evokes memories of racist lynchings.

Did I miss something, or are you referring to the OBEY one? 'Cause that's from a classic Kurt Russel movie, "They Live." Hilarious crappy film, I highly recommend it. especially if you liked "Big Trouble in Little China."

He's referring to the OBEY one. He's just playing the race card. No biggie. Might as well get used to it.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
why would McCain who believes in a strong national defense go be sec of defense for a guy that wants to dismantle the army as we know it? cabinet posts are given to like minded people.

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
OPRAH HAS SPOKEN
AND IT IS LAW

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
OPRAH IS STUPID CUNT SPELLED BACKWARDS!

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
LOL OMG RITE?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
why would McCain who believes in a strong national defense go be sec of defense for a guy that wants to dismantle the army as we know it? cabinet posts are given to like minded people.

Rob's kind of a Pollyanna sometimes.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I guess if JFK can be a great President in someones mind, McCain can be anti-military

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
We never had a chance coz Oprah and her media ghouls told them how to go Damn even Letterman got HIT

Who would ever vote for a dude who has beeen going to a blatant anti American adn racist minnistor for 20 years and later build political plans with a terrorist!

WHA????

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

LOL

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Franta
I mean wake up people the ANTI-sentiment was way more toward McCain....come on wake up I dont care who you favored...the media FUCKED MCCAIN AND PALIN look at the shirts dissing them! Look at the effigies HANGING Palin noone commented on! Look at the black Panthers intemidating white voters in PA! No one reports that....

The day a black man is president is the day a black man scares m...dammit!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

no

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber

it'd be a "put up or shut up" moment for two people that claimed to continually want to work with the other side, and have decisions be communal between parties. both have stated that they have weaknesses and strengths, and would happily work with someone on "the other team" to iron out the best decision. campaign policies are not the same as term policies, and neither one could have gotten what they wanted, anyway.

again, it's clearly political fluff, as both individuals, and all politicians, worship the power of lie. however, if obama were to offer and mccain were to accept, it'd not only show they practice what they preach, but also form a stronger union between the two sides -- even if just for a political agenda and bonus free trips to camp david in the spring

Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Rob's kind of a Pollyanna sometimes.

the gman: sprinkling "wishful thinking" with "creepiness," since 1911

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
"Pollyana": a political and literary term to describe a person unwarranted optimism. Geez, Rob, read a real book once in a while.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Did McCain really need Palin to shore up the base? Would the further right sections of traditionally Republican support really have switched over to Obama?
I Still think she was a hinderence with the centre (where most elections seem to be won and lost in many Western states these days).

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They might have voted for McCain but there's more to shoring up the base than just getting them to vote. There's also energizing them to donate, volunteer, etc. Palin helped with that.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
again, it's clearly political fluff, as both individuals, and all politicians, worship the power of lie. however, if obama were to offer and mccain were to accept, it'd not only show they practice what they preach, but also form a stronger union between the two sides -- even if just for a political agenda and bonus free trips to camp david in the spring

McCain in the Obama candidate wouldn't smooth anything over. It'd cause the base of both parties to go apeshit. It'd look good for moderates, but the parties themselves would burn shit to the ground over it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He's almost got the salute down pat but he needs to close his fingers together a little more:

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard