Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1028107 2008-12-01 12:05 AM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081130/ap_o...v0X3ZaDzfes0NUE

Quote:
LONDON – As World AIDS Day is marked on Monday, some experts are growing more outspoken in complaining that AIDS is eating up funding at the expense of more pressing health needs.

They argue that the world has entered a post-AIDS era in which the disease's spread has largely been curbed in much of the world, Africa excepted.

"AIDS is a terrible humanitarian tragedy, but it's just one of many terrible humanitarian tragedies," said Jeremy Shiffman, who studies health spending at Syracuse University.

Roger England of Health Systems Workshop, a think tank based in the Caribbean island of Grenada, goes further. He argues that UNAIDS, the U.N. agency leading the fight against the disease, has outlived its purpose and should be disbanded.

"The global HIV industry is too big and out of control. We have created a monster with too many vested interests and reputations at stake, ... too many relatively well paid HIV staff in affected countries, and too many rock stars with AIDS support as a fashion accessory," he wrote in the British Medical Journal in May.

Paul de Lay, a director at UNAIDS, disagrees. It's valid to question AIDS' place in the world's priorities, he says, but insists the turnaround is very recent and it would be wrong to think the epidemic is under control.

"We have an epidemic that has caused between 55 million and 60 million infections," de Lay said. "To suddenly pull the rug out from underneath that would be disastrous."

U.N. officials roughly estimate that about 33 million people worldwide have HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Scientists say infections peaked in the late 1990s and are unlikely to spark big epidemics beyond Africa.

In developed countries, AIDS drugs have turned the once-fatal disease into a manageable illness.

England argues that closing UNAIDS would free up its $200 million annual budget for other health problems such as pneumonia, which kills more children every year than AIDS, malaria and measles combined.

"By putting more money into AIDS, we are implicitly saying it's OK for more kids to die of pneumonia," England said.

His comments touch on the bigger complaint: that AIDS hogs money and may damage other health programs.

By 2006, AIDS funding accounted for 80 percent of all American aid for health and population issues, according to the Global Health Council.

In Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda and elsewhere, donations for HIV projects routinely outstrip the entire national health budgets.

In a 2006 report, Rwandan officials noted a "gross misallocation of resources" in health: $47 million went to HIV, $18 million went to malaria, the country's biggest killer, and $1 million went to childhood illnesses.

"There needs to be a rational system for how to apportion scarce funds," said Helen Epstein, an AIDS expert who has consulted for UNICEF, the World Bank, and others.

AIDS advocates say their projects do more than curb the virus; their efforts strengthen other health programs by providing basic health services.

But across Africa, about 1.5 million doctors and nurses are still needed, and hospitals regularly run out of basic medicines.

Experts working on other health problems struggle to attract money and attention when competing with AIDS.

"Diarrhea kills five times as many kids as AIDS," said John Oldfield, executive vice president of Water Advocates, a Washington, D.C.-based organization that promotes clean water and sanitation.

"Everybody talks about AIDS at cocktail parties," Oldfield said. "But nobody wants to hear about diarrhea," he said.

These competing claims on public money are likely to grow louder as the world financial meltdown threatens to deplete health dollars.

"We cannot afford, in this time of crisis, to squander our investments," Dr. Margaret Chan, WHO's director-general, said in a recent statement.

Some experts ask whether it makes sense to have UNAIDS, WHO, UNICEF, the World Bank, the Global Fund plus countless other AIDS organizations, all serving the same cause.

"I do not want to see the cause of AIDS harmed," said Shiffman of Syracuse University. But "For AIDS to crowd out other issues is ethically unjust."

De Lay argues that the solution is not to reshuffle resources but to boost them.

"To take money away from AIDS and give it to diarrheal diseases or onchocerciasis (river blindness) or leishmaniasis (disfiguring parasites) doesn't make any sense," he said. "We'd just be doing a worse job in everything else."

I've often wondered if too much money is spent on AIDS cures vs cancer and other deadly diseases. The vast majority of AIDS cases could have been prevented by protection. That of course is of no help to the millions that contracted it through no fault of their own.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
maybe the cancer lobbyists should get more assertive. or get more rock stars to sell out to them.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Actually some forms of cancer probanly fall into a similar category that aids does at least in this country when it comes to the amount of money & attention they get.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
only probanly?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
maybe the spread of aids ahs been brought under control by all the funding...
just an idea!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Dec01/0,4670,ObamaAIDS,00.html

Quote:
CHICAGO — President-elect Barack Obama praised the Bush administration's effort to combat AIDS and pledged Monday to continue to fight the deadly disease when he takes office in January.

Obama discussed AIDS in videotaped remarks to the Saddleback Civil Forum on Global Health held in Washington. The remarks were released Monday while Obama was in Chicago to announce members of his national security team.

In the video, Obama noted advancements since the first World AIDS Day 20 years ago. Among the accomplishments was Bush's initiative of giving lifesaving antiretroviral treatment to people in sub-Saharan Africa.

"I salute President Bush for his leadership in crafting a plan for AIDS relief in Africa and backing it up with funding dedicated to saving lives and preventing the spread of the disease," Obama said. "And my administration will continue this critical work to address the crisis around the world."

He also urged people to recommit themselves to addressing AIDS in the United States with a strategy involving prevention, treatment and a focus on at-risk communities. Obama said everyone must help address the disease because "in the end this epidemic can't be stopped by government alone, and money alone is not the answer either."

More than one million people in the United States are living with HIV/AIDS, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
because enough government spending can solve all our problems!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Happy feel guilty about some day everyone!

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Steve T
maybe the spread of aids ahs been brought under control by all the funding...
just an idea!

Issues like AIDS are always going to be brought under control by personal responsibility above all else.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I'm not sure why this isn't pushed as much as a search for a cure? You see ads everyday urging people to quit smoking, and showing the results. But there are never ads showing homosexual and unprotected sex and the results. Some snappy slogans sure but not someone ate up with AIDS like they do the cigarette smoker.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
Son takes his father to the doctor. Doctor gives them the bad news that the father is dying of cancer. Father tells the son that he has had a good long life and wants to stop at the bar on the way home to celebrate it.

While at the bar, the father sees several of his friends. He tells them that he is dying of AIDS.

When the friends leave the son asks, "Dad, you are dying of cancer. Why did you tell them that you are dying of AIDS?"

The father replies, "I don't want them fucking your mother after I'm gone!"

He doesn't want them to fuck his wife after he's gone! Ha!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama doesn't often offer praise for President George W. Bush's foreign policy, but on Monday he offered the outgoing head of state accolades for battling AIDS in Africa.

Zimbabwean orphan Evans Mahlangu shows the free medicine he got by walking to Mozambique in February.

1 of 2 "I salute President Bush for his leadership in crafting a plan for AIDS relief in Africa and backing it up with funding dedicated to saving lives and preventing the spread of the disease," Obama said in taped remarks to the Saddleback Civil Forum on Global Health.

The videotape was played during a forum marking the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day, established by the World Health Organization to raise awareness about the disease.

Under the Bush administration, more than 2 million people infected with HIV -- most of them in Africa -- have received lifesaving anti-retroviral treatment as part of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR.

In July, Bush signed legislation re-authorizing the program and authorizing up to $48 billion to expand it.
CNN

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
I just posted this five posts up.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But did you get it from the gay liberal blog?

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I'm pretty sure that Rob doesn't post about politics in his blog, rex.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
Blog smog dog fog.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Can't they just show that old "Magic" Johnson :snicker: and Arsenio Hall aids video from 1991 to everyone? Hell, all they have to do is tag on a message at the end about newer meds.

As far as Africa goes, I worked with public health people a few years ago. They gave me the low down on why AIDS keeps spreading there. Despite their best efforts, the people in many of those countries are stupid and won't listen to them. They won't use condoms. They won't change their society so as to adapt to modern living. Therefore, in many ways, we are wasting a shit ton of money trying to educate people that refuse to be educated. If that is the case, I say let 'em die.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
I hear the drums echoing tonight, but she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation. Shes coming in 12:30 flight. The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation blah blah blah dippity snippity shit!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Snarf just PMed me saying he's doing his part by not doing anything that could spread AIDS for the rest of his life. We should all encourage him for his contribution to society.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
I bet you get bullied a lot.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Thanks for not mucking up the gene pool, Snarf.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
Now we know why some animals eat their own children!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Too bad Snarf's mom wasn't one of those type of animals.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
When they made him, they broke the mold...and beat the mold maker.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I agree with the sentiment, but what troubles me is that the AIDS could reach us if the africans are left to their own devices. Also, is it possible that the virus could mutate and become airborne?

I think the only answer right now is GENOCIDE.

Originally Posted By: iggy
Can't they just show that old "Magic" Johnson :snicker: and Arsenio Hall aids video from 1991 to everyone? Hell, all they have to do is tag on a message at the end about newer meds.

As far as Africa goes, I worked with public health people a few years ago. They gave me the low down on why AIDS keeps spreading there. Despite their best efforts, the people in many of those countries are stupid and won't listen to them. They won't use condoms. They won't change their society so as to adapt to modern living. Therefore, in many ways, we are wasting a shit ton of money trying to educate people that refuse to be educated. If that is the case, I say let 'em die.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Also, is it possible that the virus could mutate and become airborne?

By the year 2000 the AIDS virus will become airborne and it will be as common as the common cold.

Some crazy fear mongering bitch told me that in high school. And people wonder why I don't take some things seriously.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
she must have been one of the people that voted for you as "Most Likely to Succeed"!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PJP
she must have been one of the people* that voted for you as "Most Likely to Succeed"!

You mean there was more than one!

*emphasis mine

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think she was friends with another crackpot teacher who said all women will walk around topless by the year 2000.

Or the one who said that the green house effect will block out half of the sun by the year 2000.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I knew a family who up until the last half of 1999 looked very sane to me that bought tons of guns and munitions for the potential Y2K disasters. I was actually dating the guy's daughter for a little while. Needless to say that was kind of a deal breaker after that.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

Or the one who said that the green house effect will block out half of the sun by the year 2000.

I still think it might!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
If you hope strong enough it will!

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
A dork is a dork is a dork.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
I think she was friends with another crackpot teacher who said all women will walk around topless by the year 2000.

Her friend wa sa visionary. If only others thought like her, the last 8 years would have been spent in a much much better world.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
A better world? You live in the UK, it's the urinal of the world!

Link Copied to Clipboard