Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461588,00.html

Quote:
Israel is drawing up plans to attack Iran's nuclear facilities and is prepared to launch a strike without backing from the U.S., an Israeli newspaper reported Thursday.

Officials in the Israeli Defence Ministry told The Jerusalem Post that while they prefer to act in consultation with the U.S., they are preparing plans that would allow them to act alone.

"It is always better to coordinate," a senior Defence Ministry official told the newspaper. "But we are also preparing options that do not include coordination."

It would be difficult, but not impossible, to launch a strike against Iran without permission from the U.S., as the American Air Force controls the Iraqi airspace Israel's jets would have to enter on a bombing mission.

"There are a wide range of risks one takes when embarking on such an operation," a senior Israeli official told the Post.

Iran, the world's fourth-largest crude oil producer, maintains that its uranium enrichment activities are aimed at making fuel for a network of planned electricity-generating nuclear power plants and not for developing weapons.

However Israel intelligence sources say Iran has sufficient nuclear material to make an atomic bomb.

Last month, amid mounting fears in Israel that the U.S. was doing nothing to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power, Ehud Olmert, Israel's Prime Minister, warned President Bush the last chance of destroying Tehran’s nuclear bomb-making program was passing.

Iran dismisses the possibility of an Israeli strike.

"We think that regional and international developments and the complicated situation faced by Israel itself will not allow it to launch military strikes against other countries," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said, according to the Press TV Web site.

"Israel makes threats to promote its psychological and media warfare," Qashqavi said.

A report, published in September in Britain's Guardian newspaper, claimed that Isreali Prime Minister Ehud Olmert requested a green light to attack Iran in May but was refused by Bush.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
man, one day cartograhy in the middle east is gonna be really easy. It'll just all be flat and blank.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Steve T
man, one day cartograhy in the middle east is gonna be really easy. It'll just all be flat and blank.

We can only hope.

I could never figure out why Bush didn't just nuke Mecca after 9/11.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Honestly I would have nuked Afghanistan after 9-11. It would send a clear message that attacks on the US soil were not tolerable. The last time we used them was WW2 after Japan attacked us, and we set a pretty good precedent. To allow it to happen again without overwhelming force being returned was a mistake.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
ask Libya if they want to fuck with us again?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Nuking Afganistan wouldn't have done much in the long run. Not when the people you're fighting are happy to die for their cause. Would have just been a good recruiting tool for Al Qaeda, some would ahve taken it as proof that Bin Laden and co were right about the West. I thought Bush initially handled Afganistan very well, which is why I was so dissapointed when we went to Iraq and Afganistan suffered.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
generic foreign liberal politically correct response.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
haven't actually got anything coherent to say response.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
G-man, you're a right wing voice that can make a decent case, am i just being a whiney liberal or do i make a fair point?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Nuking Afganistan wouldn't have done much in the long run. Not when the people you're fighting are happy to die for their cause. Would have just been a good recruiting tool for Al Qaeda, some would ahve taken it as proof that Bin Laden and co were right about the West. I thought Bush initially handled Afganistan very well, which is why I was so dissapointed when we went to Iraq and Afganistan suffered.
AlQaeda boomed after Somalia and the Blackhawk Down fiasco. Bin Laden and company viewed the West as a Paper Tiger that when a little blood got spilled they would turn tail and run. This emboldened the terrorists. I can assure you that if a Nuke was used there would be little to no major terror going on right now.

Diplomacy doesn't work with people like this. The power of the sword is all they understand. Praise Allah.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
G-man, you're a right wing voice that can make a decent case, am i just being a whiney liberal or do i make a fair point?
You're a great guy Steve but you just don't get it when it comes to people like this.I bet Obama will get tested very early on in his Prtesidency and the liberals are going to be very shocked/upest over his response. My guess is that unless it's to save Israel he will use a very large military response to difuse whatever is happening. We live in a different world now.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I am not against the right use of a military response, I just don't think a nuke would have done much good in the long run. I don't for a second think we can negotiate with Bin Laden. It's why I wanted our focus to have been hunting him down instead of going into Iraq. But the problem we have to address is our widen relationships with the states/peopel who are on the edge, to convince them we aren't the selfish, arseholes cutting up the middle east for oil for our own benefits that they think we are.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

You seem likable Steve but you talk in circles. Killing Muslims with guns(as we are doing) or with nukes is used equally well as a recruiting tool. The problem is Taliban allowing Al Qaida to train in Afghanistan and not handing them over after 9-11. If we had responded with overwhelming force others(Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia) would have reconsidered giving any support monetarily or physically to these groups.

Remember the guys running the countries whether the Taliban, The Sheiks or whomever aren't the ideological nutcases they are just your typical power guys, the nut jobs are the guys doing the attacks. The reason they allow this stuff to go on is it cements their hold on power, but if their very existence is in question they will change their tune and expel these guys or stop the flow of money.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber

You seem likable Steve but you talk in circles. Killing Muslims with guns(as we are doing) or with nukes is used equally well as a recruiting tool. The problem is Taliban allowing Al Qaida to train in Afghanistan and not handing them over after 9-11. If we had responded with overwhelming force others(Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia) would have reconsidered giving any support monetarily or physically to these groups.

Remember the guys running the countries whether the Taliban, The Sheiks or whomever aren't the ideological nutcases they are just your typical power guys, the nut jobs are the guys doing the attacks. The reason they allow this stuff to go on is it cements their hold on power, but if their very existence is in question they will change their tune and expel these guys or stop the flow of money.

I'd say I've been pretty consistant, I'm not against force, it's just the right use of it. I supported using force to drive the Taliban (who were a strongly ideological group) out of Afganistan. The taking away of resources from this was one of the reasons I was against going into Iraq. Nuking Afganistan however, would have killed innocents above and beyond any reasonable idea of collateral damage.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
9-11 was all collateral damage.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Yeah, and it was fucked up. What's your point?

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest person alive.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Yeah, and it was fucked up. What's your point?

Steve obviously this is hard for you to understand as the US pulled your asses out of the fire in WW2. But what made us so powerful and invulnerable was the fact that we didn't allow people to start shit in our back yard. It worked for over 50 years, we should have reminded the world again. As in WW2 we would have saved more innocent life in the long run.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
That's a cheap argument and I could go into the debate about how many lives could have been saved if you hadn't dragged your feet and got into the war in 1939 and blah and blah. It would all be bullshit on both sides. That little small minded nationalistic dick waving serves no useful purpose.

And as to the comparison with WW2, I just don't think it holds, the nature of the situation and the opposition is just different.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
mem speak

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
That's a cheap argument and I could go into the debate about how many lives could have been saved if you hadn't dragged your feet and got into the war in 1939 and blah and blah. It would all be bullshit on both sides. That little small minded nationalistic dick waving serves no useful purpose.

And as to the comparison with WW2, I just don't think it holds, the nature of the situation and the opposition is just different.
you said "small" and "dick" in the same sentence. Are you trying to insult basams?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I'd say you're a whiny liberal ...but concede your point is reasonable, albeit one I happen to disagree with.

As PJP points out, no matter what we do, terrorists will try to use it as a recruiting tool.

However, I can understand your fear that the use of a nuke is so...apocolyptic...that it could be viewed as something outside the bounds of normal war.

To be honest, when I say "nuke" the mideast I can't say that I really mean literally use a nuclear weapons.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
..we have modern conventional bombs that carry as much explosive power as either Fatman or Little Boy.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I agree with Steve. The difference between Japan and Afghanistan is that Japan was a nation where EVERYBODY had been conditioned to be in a war-like mentality. Some historians have described it as shared temporary insanity. The atom bomb showed them the error of that policy. Has there been anything to suggest that Afghanistan is similar to Japan? From what I am to understand, the area is highly factionalized.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
I agree with Steve. The difference between Japan and Afghanistan is that Japan was a nation where EVERYBODY had been conditioned to be in a war-like mentality. Some historians have described it as shared temporary insanity. The atom bomb showed them the error of that policy.

That's the most retardulous load of crap I ever heard.

Grow a fucking brain and then grow some hair.

Quote:
Has there been anything to suggest that Afghanistan is similar to Japan? From what I am to understand, the area is highly factionalized.

This is almost as ridiculous. Middle Eastern countries tend to have even more of a hive mind than you claim Japan did.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Snarf is officially a dumb ass now. I also bet Steve wishes you hadn't lumped him in with your ridiculous theory that it was okay to nuke Japan civilians because they were more war like.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

We didn't drag our feet, when the war came to us we kicked ass.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
The fact is, we were effectively at war with the entire nation of Japan. Citizens were prepared to send out women, children and the elderly to fight us, not to mention dropping radioactive particles on the beaches. As I'm aware of it, the same situation does not exist in Afghanistan. Also, as Afghanistan has several nations bordering it, dropping a nuke could have adverse effects against countries we are not at war with.

All hail King Snarf!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Yes Snarf, there are not men women and children in Afghanistan that have attacked us. Youre a dipshit.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Go easy on him BSAMS, we all know that bald virgins have trouble understanding such complicated issues.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
What makes Snarf such an idiot is he argues against himself. Steve T and even whomod to an extent have a set of principles that they base their opinions on, even if I disagree with them. Snarf on the other hand has an opinion based on nothing.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Snarf is becoming one of those guys that is against something just to be against it. He probably stays up all night listening to shit like art bell and all the other conspiracy shows.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think you guys are jumping down Steve's throat without paying attention to what he's saying. I actually agree with him. Sometimes you need to use the sword and hack something to shit, and sometimes you need to just use a scalpel and cut away the small, cancerous piece. Using infantry and air bombings was the best way to go in Afghanistan. Nuking them would have made us look like shit and prevented us from doing any further military work with other countries in the future. As much as we've borne the burden of Iraq, we had help from a handful of allies that would have shied away if we dropped the big bombs. We were on the right path and stopped short. I would have napalmed every mother fucking cave to drive Bin Laden and his goons out. We were having the same success that we're seeing in Iraq because many of the Afghans didn't like the oppressive taliban and remembered that we helped push back the Soviets. A nuke wouldn't have allowed that.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Yes Snarf, there are not men women and children in Afghanistan that have attacked us. Youre a dipshit.

Yes, but I'm sure there are Afghanis who want nothing to do with the war.

All hail King Snarf!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
As were there millions of Japanese who wanted nothing to do with the war, which makes your point invalid.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I think you guys are jumping down Steve's throat without paying attention to what he's saying. I actually agree with him. Sometimes you need to use the sword and hack something to shit, and sometimes you need to just use a scalpel and cut away the small, cancerous piece. Using infantry and air bombings was the best way to go in Afghanistan. Nuking them would have made us look like shit and prevented us from doing any further military work with other countries in the future. As much as we've borne the burden of Iraq, we had help from a handful of allies that would have shied away if we dropped the big bombs. We were on the right path and stopped short. I would have napalmed every mother fucking cave to drive Bin Laden and his goons out. We were having the same success that we're seeing in Iraq because many of the Afghans didn't like the oppressive taliban and remembered that we helped push back the Soviets. A nuke wouldn't have allowed that.

I'm not sure you paid attention to what I was saying. If we nuked we wouldn't need to work with other countries, state support of terrorist would have ended.

From WW2 till 9-11 no one fucked with our homeland because of the threat of overwhelming response. That's been taken off the table. We blinked.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
No. The point being that we dropped the bomb on Japan because if we didn't and went with a land invasion, we'd estimated losing hundreds of thousands of American soldiers in the fight. Japan was, with the exception of the bomb, our equal in weaponry. The same cannot be said for Afghanistan.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
You don't fight equal. No one should be able to attack the US period without facing destruction. It would end this stuff fast.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm not sure you paid attention to what I was saying. If we nuked we wouldn't need to work with other countries, state support of terrorist would have ended.

The war on terror isn't the only thing we have to worry about. We also have to look at future enemies and possible wars. I also think that we'd probably have been targeted for even more attacks. I think the concept of us sending soldiers to put a boot up your ass for fucking or even thinking about fucking with the USA is a bit more frightening for terrorists than simply dieing in a possible atomic blast.

From WW2 till 9-11 no one fucked with our homeland because of the threat of overwhelming response. That's been taken off the table. We blinked.

It's not because of our lack of the nuclear option being on the table. Don't forget the WTC bombings of the 90's or the Oklahoma City bombing which, though done by an American, is believed to have been funded by Muslim extremists. It was the lack of Clinton having the balls to take Osama down when he had the chance rather than the lack of us deploying nuclear weapons in response. I still say that dragging Osama's corpse out of his hole in Afghanistan would have done more to curtail terrorism than nuking an entire country.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You don't fight equal. No one should be able to attack the US period without facing destruction. It would end this stuff fast.

I didn't say that we'd fight equal. In fact, my point was that you can't say that the Taliban or Al-Quaida are our equals in weaponry, training, manpower, and pure might. The bomb is a last resort weapon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard