Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
After reading some of my Mutants & Masterminds reviews, you might ask, "Snarf, sure M&M is good for heroes, but what if I want to play as someone more down to Earth?" Then Agents of Freedom is for you. This book gives plenty of options for playing characters on the lower end of the scale, reflecting characters and comics such as Nick Fury, G.I. Joe, Gotham PD, and more.

Chapter 1 is all about creating a character of lower power level, from PL3 to PL6. It gives a look at what skills, feats, and abilities would be useful, as well as a few options to ensure they live a little longer. Following that is new equipment. Where does your spy character get those wonderful toys? Right 'chere! This part of the book really expands the options for equipment, vehicles, and headquarters found in Ch. 7 of the M&M corebook. Following that, several PL5 archetypes are given, from the James Bond stand-in to the everday joe that gets drawn into a web of intrigue. This chapter wraps up with a note about some of the genre tropes found in agent/ spy titles. For example, Batman may never kill, but Nick Fury will kill eight people in a day, and that's just before breakfast!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Chapters 2-5 looks at agent characters and campaigns at different levels by viewing them through the lens of groups found in M&M's Freedom City campaign setting.

Chapter 2 focuses on city police, namely FC's Star Squad, the elite cops who get to fight supervillains when the heroes aren't around. The Squad's history and procedures are listed, along with some ideas for adventures. Following this, there are some ideas for police-themed campaigns in general, including common archetypes bound to show up (like the gruff but loveable desk sergeant).

Chapter 3 looks at agents on the Federal level, specifically FC's answer to SHIELD- AEGIS (get it? AEGIS is a kind of shield! Yeah.). Like the chapter on Star Squad, the agency's background, composition, and noteable personalities are listed. Unlike the previous chapter, however, it just focuses on an AEGIS themed game. This chapter would've been a bit more useful if they gave a brief note on other federal agencies, such as the FBI or ATF, but this chapter was already pretty long as it is. As it stands, this chapter certainly gives enough ideas if you want to do an "Agent of ______" series where your spy or commando faces off against supervillains, cults, aliens, or what-have-you.

Chapter 4 looks at Freedom City's UN law enforcement group, UNISON. While this chapter is very brief, it does expand what the rest of the world in the FC universe thinks of superheroes and alien invasions and so forth. Plus, the notes are making UNISON agents are generic enough that they can serve as a rule for making any kind of global peacekeeping commando or spy.

All hail King Snarf!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Chapter 5 looks an example villain agency, SHADOW. Presented as one of the top villain groups in Chapter 6 of the Freedom City book, SHADOW and the leader Overshadow really get the five-star treatment here. Essentially, this chapter is all kinds of awesome. It really gives you an idea of how someone like Cobra Commander could feasibly run an evil organization. Multiple branches of the organization are detailed, as well as numerous front organizations and dupes, to keep the heroes mired in false leads and red herrings.

THIS is how you present a villain or villains in an RPG. This chapter provides numerous ideas on things to throw at players, whether they're superheroes or the more-human agents.

All hail King Snarf!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Chapter 6 gives info to the GM on how to run a campaign where agents are the focus. It discusses some of the problems unique to such a game (superheroes aren't as likely to be felled by Nameless Thug #2 as an agent would be), as well as how to design adventures with agents in mind. After this comes a whole host of NPC stats, from characters that can fill support roles in whatever agency the PCs work to villainous spies and commandos to bulk up the opposition. Finally, for all those who have trouble naming their characters is a list of codenames, giving several examples for each of the hero, npc, and villain archetypes found in the book.

Following that is a fun little adventure designed for agents, but it also has notes on how to scale the challenge so that the GM could run some superheroes through it, if he or she chooses.

The art is very solid in this title, with almost no pieces that make me go "That's... average at best". (As good as the art design has been for the M&M line, a few duds have slipped through.)

Agents of Freedom is a solid genre book that has something for everyone. The expanded equipment list alone almost makes this a must buy for the M&M gamer. Add that the variety it introduces to M&M games, plus the additional info for Freedom City for fans of the campaign setting, makes this a practically can't miss additional.

What really sells this is that the designers give numerous examples citing not only comics, but TV shows and movies. If you've ever wanted to run a game based on Hill Street Blues or The A-Team, then this is the book for you.

All hail King Snarf!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Anything for attention...

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
OP Offline
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

Anonymous 05/28/09 02:50 AM Reading a post
Forum: Comic Books
Thread: King Snarf's Natural 20!: Agents of Freedom!

Yeah, well I'd say it's working, then....

All hail King Snarf!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I think Snarf's Natural 20! threads are popular because people want to read the insults that are sure to follow.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Personally, I read it because Snarf is an okay guy.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

logging out and reading your own post doesnt really count as attention.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
It does in Snarfs bedroom!

Link Copied to Clipboard