Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
If Leno would have said fuck you NBC, I'm going to FOX he would have been a hero to everyone including Conan fans. Instead I believe it's about ego, it's an I told you so moment by taking Tonight back. Leno had a clause where he would be out free and clear if he was canceled at ten.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Didn't Ebersol also take over SNL when Lorne Michaels left for a couple years and got it canceled but Lorne came back and the network gave it another shot?

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
If Leno would have said fuck you NBC, I'm going to FOX he would have been a hero to everyone including Conan fans. Instead I believe it's about ego, it's an I told you so moment by taking Tonight back. Leno had a clause where he would be out free and clear if he was canceled at ten.

Better yet, Leno should have demanded a series of high profile primetime specials at NBC in lieu of the 10 pm show. I'm thinking like those SNL specials they run sometimes in the fall. God knows that NBC is always looking for something to fill holes in their schedule and that could have been spun as "Jay is our secret weapon for sweeps" or something.

That would have been seen as an honor to Jay and a way to pass the torch to Conan.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
Didn't Ebersol also take over SNL when Lorne Michaels left for a couple years and got it canceled but Lorne came back and the network gave it another shot?

Ebersol was responsible for giving Murphy and Piscopo the spotlight as well as bringing in Guest, Shear, and Crystal; but he also dumbed down the show and made it center on repeated appearances of characters leading to Murphy's hilarious Velvet Jones skit where the character was killed from overexposure. But, yeah, NBC was canceling the show until Michaels agreed to come back and clean house and start again.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Fans rally behind O'Brien; 'Tonight' ratings beat Leno

Quote:
BC had the TV network "Sophie's Choice": Do you keep the guy people watch? Or the guy that people like?

"Jay Leno Show" has consistently drawn higher average ratings than "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien."

Yet media and TV fans tend to be more enthusiastic about the creative O'Brien, and hunt for reasons to vilify the traditional Leno.

Since their shows became publicly endangered, however, this narrative has shifted. Ratings for "Leno Show" and "Tonight Show" are telling a clear story: Fans are rallying behind O'Brien.

When rumors first hit that Leno's 10 p.m. show might get canceled, 'Leno Show' actually went down in the ratings. And since, Leno's numbers have been average at best.

Yet Conan's ratings are edging up, up, up ... climbing the last three nights.

Based on preliminary metered-market estimates, on Thursday night O'Brien drew a 1.9 in the adult demo -- nearly double his usual average. That's 27% higher number at 11:35 p.m. than Jay Leno, who drew a 1.5 using the same type of measurement, earned at 10 p.m.

NBC research is unsure, but this might be the first time O'Brien has ever beat Leno in their current slots.

NBC Universal sports chairman Dick Ebersol may have picked the wrong day to bash O'Brien's show as "an astounding failure."

On the other hand: O'Brien's bump is clearly driven by the headlines rather than an organic rise in popularity. Such gains in late night are almost always temporary.

Even as reports continue to swirl that Leno will take over "Tonight Show," NBC has to wonder if it's betting on the wrong horse. This a crucial point. After a slew of disastrous late-night decisions, this is one call that NBC must get right.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

Fuck you Jay.
Fuck you NBC.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
NBC has no real reason to keep leno around anymore. Other than him never cashing his pay checks.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I like the fact that NBC is getting raked over a cheese-grater, but the cognitive dissonance here can be cut with a knife. Conan and Leno are two slices of the same shit-encrusted pie. Otherwise apathetic people treating either of them as if they deserve sympathy for whatever the fuck happens to 'em is hilarious in a bad way.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I give that post a five out of ten pariah troll points.

rex #1101700 2010-01-15 10:09 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Pariah, RuPaul's show was cancelled and it's never coming back. Its time to get the fuck over it.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think Pariah will finally be satisfied with television once he convinces his cable provider to carry the Logo channel.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Didn't even know what that was until you persuaded me to do a Google search.....Yikes.

Anywho, I can't say I'm surprised that you bunch like these late night shows where all you do is watch a guy sit behind a desk and make half-assed riffs about pop-culture. But I did hold out hope that not even the RKMBS was gay enough to care about what happens to Letterman, O'Brian, Leno, etc.

I mean, this situation is funny. But only insofar as it's like watching insects fight over a mound of shit.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Didn't even know what that was until you persuaded me to do a Google search.....Yikes. How did I ever live without it?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Anywho, I can't say I'm surprised that you bunch like these late night shows where all you do is watch a guy sit behind a desk and make half-assed riffs about pop-culture.

And you took the time to come in here, read everything, watch the videos, analyze, and form an opinion that leads you to believe your taste and perspective is above everyone else. Thank you for that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not a problem 'ol buddy.

Like I said, It's pretty funny watching a bunch of irrelevant talk show hosts butt heads over something as meaningless as the Tonight Show.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Pretty sad that you guys care enough to root for any one side though...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Not a problem 'ol buddy.

Like I said, It's pretty funny watching a bunch of irrelevant talk show hosts butt heads over something as meaningless as the Tonight Show.

Yes. Something as meaningless as millions of dollars in salaries.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, well......Maybe if that show dissolved, I'm sure everyone working on it could find jobs on a show that's actually worth watching.

And if not, they could just commit suicide and put themselves out of the viewers misery forever.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I would like to say something about Jimmy Fallon though:

What a spineless dipshit.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
His show is literally unwatchable. No one should be this uncomfortable while hosting a show.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs...ve-reports.aspx

Quote:
The fight between Leno and Conan might be over, for now. Entertainment site The Wrap is reporting that NBC has agreed to pay Conan O'Brien $30-million to leave his 11:35 p.m. time slot.

From their post:

The network has agreed to pay O'Brien $30 million to vacate the 11:35 p.m. "Tonight Show," sources involved in the negotiations have told TheWrap.

The deal, which still has to be formally signed, will be announced later Friday.

NBCU President and CEO Jeff Zucker, NBCU Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin and Co-Chairman NBC Entertainment and NBC Televison Studio Marc Graboff were involved in the final all-night negotiations. The deal was brokered by Universal COO Ron Meyer, who was brought in on Tuesday, after talks had reached an impasse.

Earlier reports had indicated that Conan and NBC were close to a deal that involved the network waiving O'Brien's non-compete clause, paving the way for him to leave for another network and host another show.

From the Daily Beast:

The NBC-Leno-Conan war is close to ending, according to a knowledgeable source. According to the outlines of a settlement, Conan O'Brien will leave NBC and the network will make an as-yet unspecified payment. The comedian will be free to appear elsewhere on television well before his contract expires, despite earlier threats from NBC that it would prevent him from working anywhere else.

Conan's last episode of the Tonight Show is set for January 22. Any new show with O'Brien could take weeks and even months to set up.

The Los Angeles Times rounds up some of Conan's post NBC options. Where ever he goes we wish Coco luck.

Fox is the most obvious choice, and Kevin Reilly, the network's entertainment president, has not been subtle about how much he likes O'Brien. But, as we've previously noted lots of times, the network's affiliates would be a hard sell. They already have programming in the 11 p.m. hour and while sitcom reruns may not seem sexy, they are big cash generators for local TV stations.

With Fox already trying to get affiliates to give the network a cut of any money they get from cable operators for carrying their local stations, asking for a time slot on top of it may be a reach. Fox's own TV stations may also be wary about late night for the same reason. Those reruns cost a lot of money.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
NBC to keep Coco's masturbating bear

Quote:
The Masturbating Bear is dead.

As a deal nears for Conan O'Brien's exit from NBC, one thing is certain: the characters and recurring comedy bits O'Brien originated during his 16-plus years on "Late Night" and "The Tonight Show" will not follow the host when he leaves NBC.

The Peacock owns the intellectual property behind such popular O'Brien characters as Pimpbot 5000 and Conando, as well as recurring segments such as In the Year 3000 and Desk Driving. Sources involved in the settlement negotiations say NBC is keeping the copyrighted and trademarked elements of O'Brien's shows as part of the deal. That means the bits and characters will likely never be seen after O'Brien's "Tonight" ends its run Jan 22. ‬

While the vast majority of the characters O'Brien introduced are said to owned by NBC, it's unclear who controls Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, the crass canine puppet that is perhaps O'Brien's most popular recurring bit. Triumph was originated by writer and longtime O'Brien pal Robert Smigel, whose reps declined to comment on whether Smigel or NBC owned rights to the character.

In 1993, David Letterman got into a dustup with NBC when he departed "Late Night" for CBS's "Late Show." NBC attorneys attempted to prevent Letterman from taking intellectual property originated on "Late Night" to the comic's new home. Letterman responded by dropping certain bits and renaming other recurring segments--"Viewer Mail" became "CBS Mailbag" and frequent guest Larry "Bud" Melman began referring to himself by his real name, Calvert DeForest. Letterman mocked the dispute on his first "Late Show" when NBC anchor Tom Brokaw interrupted the monologue and stole cue cards in the name of securing NBC's intellectual property.

O'Brien, if he lands at another late-night show, might be in a tougher spot. Unlike comic personalities Letterman and Jay Leno, O'Brien began his career as a writer on "Saturday Night Live" and "The Simpsons," and his shows relied more heavily on the cleverly scripted bits and outrageous characters.
Losing those assets could hurt O'Brien as he looks for another home, although his "Tonight" had featured fewer of the characters than "Late Night" and the host--who is considered one of the top comedy writers in the business--may be looking for a fresh start. Sources close to him said he was not interested in taking his NBC characters with him.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
That settles it, I'm done with NBC after this week.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
That settles it, I'm done with NBC after this week.

Isn't Chuck on NBC?

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I bet it won't be too much of a hurt to Conan.

It will force him to come up with new material.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Pimpbot was the best

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
\:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
New York Times:
  • At its height, NBC was the very model of what a television network should be. With iconic programming, enviable ratings and spectacular business success, the peacock network delivered plenty of laughs along the way with “The Cosby Show,” “Seinfeld” and “Friends.”

Nobody is laughing anymore.

Today the network is in shambles, brought down not just by the challenges facing broadcast television — fragmenting audiences, an advertising downturn — but also by a series of executive missteps that have made its prime-time lineup a perennial loser and, most recently, turned its late night programming schedule into a media circus that threatens the lucrative “Tonight Show” franchise.

“We live in a society today that loves a soap opera,” Jeff Zucker, the chief executive of NBC Universal, said in an interview in his office at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York on Friday. “Three months ago it was David Letterman. Six weeks ago it was Tiger Woods’s problems. Today it’s NBC’s problems.”

At the end of the interview in Mr. Zucker’s office, Steve Capus, the head of NBC News, spoke up strongly on behalf of his boss, saying the news media had blown the late-night ordeal “out of proportion,” especially, he said, in light of more important stories like the tragedy in Haiti. “He is paying a price that is so out of whack with what is happening here,” he said.

Yeah, Capus, you tell him. Those news people have no integrity whatsoev...

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Basams, your avatar is fucking awesome! \:lol\: \:lol\:

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its rumored that Conan signed a deal saying that he can use the characters that he created as long as he never makes fun of the network that raped him and everyone who works for him.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Basically, he whines that it's NBC's fault, not his:
  • For a moment, the late-night jokes ended tonight as Jay Leno tried to explain his side of the story.

During the taping of his canceled "The Jay Leno Show," the comedian said NBC pushed him out of his "Tonight Show" spot because executives lost confidence that he could hang onto the No. 1 spot in the ratings.

The revelation came five years ago when NBC executives explained that they planned to move Conan O'Brien into Leno's spot because O'Brien was getting offers from other networks. Leno pointed out that he was at the top of the ratings for the time period.

"We don't think you can maintain that," one told him.

Leno also said that when NBC hatched the idea of moving him to 10 p.m. that executives promised to give the show two years. While he realized that his ratings would suffer against the best shows from rival networks, he thought he'd do well during the summer when more reruns are aired.

But then network executives approached him with the idea of returning to 11:35, and pushing O'Brien back to midnight. He agreed but asked, "Do you think Conan will go for that?"

He was told yes.

It turned out that O'Brien had no interest in doing the "Tonight Show" at midnight. He's expected to leave NBC.

Leno, who has been widely portrayed as the bad guy in the battle, said O'Brien is a gentleman. "Don't blame Conan O'Brien," he said.

That's all well and good, Jay. However, when it became clear that NBC didn't have Conan on board for the move, the classy thing would have been to support him and not steal his show.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'm watching that shit right now. I want to punch his fucking chin through his fucking head.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
-Chris Oakley

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
Its rumored that Conan signed a deal saying that he can use the characters that he created as long as he never makes fun of the network that raped him and everyone who works for him.

Conan snags nearly $40M in exit agreement with NBC: Conan O'Brien is close to signing a nearly $40 million deal to walk away from his job hosting NBC's "The Tonight Show," in a new move that will also award severance pay to his employees.

Nothing in the full article about the characters. However, you have the give him props for making sure his employees are taken care of. That's a classy guy.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
That's all well and good, Jay. However, when it became clear that NBC didn't have Conan on board for the move, the classy thing would have been to support him and not steal his show.

or at least be honest and say "i never wanted to be removed from the tonight show in the first place"

he's trying to play the nice guy in too many directions

giant picture
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
[img][/img]

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard