Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He lives in the antimatter universe on Qward, near the In-and-Out Burger.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Hey, cool it Walter. Look, pal, there never was any power ring. Abin Sur gave me an empty lantern, so take it up with him, man.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
He did six months in Takron-Galtos for exposing himself to a thirteen year old.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Appa Ali Apsa? Her co-star in the beaver picture?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Did you ever hear of the Justice League of America? That was me... and six other heroes.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
No, Donny, these men are Qwardians, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Your power ring is being held by a kid named Kyle Rayner. He lives on Earth, in Los Angles, near the In-and-Out Burger. A real fucking brat; but I'm sure your goons'll be able to get it off him, mean he's only fifteen and he's flunking social studies.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Is this your girlfriend Kyle?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Script!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You see what happens, Hal? You see what happens when you STICK A SPACE BUG IN THE ASS?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I figure my only hope is that Mongul kills me before the Guardians can cut my dick off.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
How are you going to keep them down on Oa when they've seen Ch'p?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

fuck you, prometheus. your console security is shit, and you are fucking clown shoes.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\: \:lol\:

(still looks gay as hell)

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
my one nagging concern is the film always seems half-a-second away from reynolds cracking a joke of some kind. every time he appeared in the trailer (most notably when he first gets the ring) the music skips for a bit, as if he's about to deliver some terrible punch line. maybe that happens, and this was just clever editing. i dunno.

but barring that possibility, i honestly thought this trailer looked pretty damn good. OA looks awesome, parralax looks threatening (a comic book movie with an actual mighty villain??), it's got the dramaaaaatic music, equally impressive voice overs, they're clearly setting up a franchise with a still-good sinestro and teasing additional ring colors... they're taking a number of ridiculously silly concepts (ganthet, space police, humanoid animals in green, magic imagination jewelry, etc.) and making them seem neato.

as a GL fan, what, exactly, are you waiting for to be better?

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
This new trailer looks kind of awesome compared to the early ones where they were trying to ape Iron Man. Reynolds still looks off in the costume, though. He looks like Will Ferrell.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
\:lol\: \:lol\:

(still looks gay as hell)

Pro no offense but clear the sand out of your damn vagina. It's a movie, nothing more nothing less. No it won't be the best movie ever but thats god damn high expectations from Warner Bros. If nothing more it will at least be entertaining to see once in theaters

I'm looking forward to it.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
my one nagging concern is the film always seems half-a-second away from reynolds cracking a joke of some kind. every time he appeared in the trailer (most notably when he first gets the ring) the music skips for a bit, as if he's about to deliver some terrible punch line. maybe that happens, and this was just clever editing. i dunno.

but barring that possibility, i honestly thought this trailer looked pretty damn good. OA looks awesome, parralax looks threatening (a comic book movie with an actual mighty villain??), it's got the dramaaaaatic music, equally impressive voice overs, they're clearly setting up a franchise with a still-good sinestro and teasing additional ring colors... they're taking a number of ridiculously silly concepts (ganthet, space police, humanoid animals in green, magic imagination jewelry, etc.) and making them seem neato.

As a GL fan the only thing that would make this better is G'Nort.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Hybrid
Pro no offense but clear the sand out of your damn vagina. It's a movie, nothing more nothing less. No it won't be the best movie ever but thats god damn high expectations from Warner Bros. If nothing more it will at least be entertaining to see once in theaters

And no offense in return, random poster, but pull the cock from your ass and stop pandering to the lowest demographic of whatever the corporations throw at you. You think this is quality material? Worthy of your money? Have at it. Go see it. Meanwhile if it looks like shit (which it does), smells like shit (which it does), and sounds like shit (which Reynolds does), then guess what? It's probably something Geoff Johns wrote.

The movie looks like shit. It may or may not be. But, whining and pedant-ing from the comic nerds who swallow anything given to them doesn't alter my informed opinion whatsoever. Thanks for your input, though...

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it.

Congratulations! I'll call the press...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Agreed. I might be able to give this thing a slight chance, if it weren't for the horrible, horrible casting. Every moment I see him, it just kills the whole concept and film for me. And I'd bet all kinds of money that he does, in fact, try and Tony Stark it the whole fucking time.

Quote:

I'm not a GL fan. Never have been. I'm okay with the character, but would honestly prefer Kyle if had to have anyone at all. Meanwhile, it doesn't look like a good film to me. It looks exactly like the kind of glossy, spandex-laden over-CGI-ed silliness that I was hoping films like The Dark Knight would have moved us away from. But, hell, this is from the SAME company that gave us TDK.

I'm just not into the all-ages Happy Meal tie-in marketing animal they're trying to Frankenstein-together with this thing. It just looks....dumb.

Hope you enjoy the theater spectacle, sincerely. I'll just wait for the next train and hope it's worth my time...

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
why not just print off a green lantern cover and tape it to the case of your TDK DVD. make your own ideal GL movie for pennies!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Because I'd rather the WB do it for me.... ;\)

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Hal is the hero Coast City deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero, he is an emerald guardian, a watchful protector… a Green Lantern.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

fuck you, prometheus. your console security is shit, and you are fucking clown shoes.

not bad. I'm semi stoked

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Hal is the hero Coast City deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero, he is an emerald guardian, a watchful protector… a Green Lantern.

you just gave away his identity to your son!! you have no console security!! YOU'VE BEEN PARALLAXED!!

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Whoa, Rob, WHOA! I don't mind you abusing the local Chinese like SoM. But, when you start using CAPS I'm have to put a stop to it. I'm calling Shenanigans Article IV. Please report to the Obama Liberal Indoctrination Camp. You'll be sitting next to Wonder Boy and Pariah....

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
Maybe it's just the kush I'm smokin', but when I first see the Guardians in that trailer I immediately think of the aliens from Mars Attacks!

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
OP Offline
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm okay with the character, but would honestly prefer Kyle if had to have anyone at all.

It looks to me like they're basically using Kyle with Hal's job, exactly like in the 90's Superman cartoon. This was really the only option, though, since Hal has no personality.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Hal has no personality.

DC figured a way to make a tamer superman

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Hal fucked Huntress in the ass.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Hal fucked Huntress in the ass.

U jelly?

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Nah. Hal fucked me in the ass first.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I thought Asians had yellow asses?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Would that explain Parallax, then?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
he was supposed to be palarrax

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I'm not a GL fan. Never have been.

i just saw this. i think it makes your "proaction" even stranger! i can see a fanboy flipping out over things they feel don't fit the character. but if that's not you, why are you so outspoken?

I'm okay with the character, but would honestly prefer Kyle if had to have anyone at all.

in that regard, as mxy pointed out, this is essentially kyle using hal's name. so, you're basically getting what you'd prefer

Meanwhile, it doesn't look like a good film to me. It looks exactly like the kind of glossy, spandex-laden over-CGI-ed silliness that I was hoping films like The Dark Knight would have moved us away from. But, hell, this is from the SAME company that gave us TDK.

i guess i just don't see the need for every film to be TDK. that was a heavy mother fucking film. it's a nearly exhausting 3 hours of dark opera. but batman's character is (or at least can be) a grim and gritty, dark and dirty type of persona, so that was a specific, catered fit. 99% of other characters (and i'd include GL in that pile) don't warrant that type. they're lighter, more "comic book"ish. for all the flack the fantastic four movies caught, i thought they were fine, because that's how silly the actual books are (most of the time). yes, there are the collection of us uber-nerds that have seen the 10 issues on record where comics are taken seriously - but in the great scheme of things, in the wide-spread history of the characters and their medium, they're not. just think about what got you into super heroes, and more than likely it was something like the super-friends.

green lantern, alone, is about all-powerful smurfs, imagination jewelry, animal humanoid space police, a 1920s magician villain, and dozens of other ridiculous concepts. in all of the comic book world, GL might be the best example of "glossy, spandex-laden ... silliness". i wouldn't think that a misappropriation in cinematic form. and even with that said, i think this most recent trailer shows an effort being made to address folks like you, looking for a less-silly film.

not that i'm trying to debate you into liking the movie... i guess i just don't understand why this seems to be such a ... well... a bug up your ass.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
i just saw this. i think it makes your "proaction" even stranger! i can see a fanboy flipping out over things they feel don't fit the character. but if that's not you, why are you so outspoken?

Exactly why I said: it looks like a bad film. Not just a bad comic book movie, but a bad film overall. I rate this in the same dislike category as 'Fast & Furious'-type movies or country music. It doesn't appeal to me. At all.

As far as being "outspoken" about this, how so? The fact that I've taken the time to come into the thread and voice my dislike about how they've cast it, and the fashion in which it's presented? I give this thread no more attention or voice in negativity than I do any movie thread where I have nothing but passionately positive things to say. It just so happens I'm in the minority on this one. So be it. But, it doesn't mean I'm standing outside theaters picketing and boycotting. Just means I calls'em like I sees'em.

Quote:

in that regard, as mxy pointed out, this is essentially kyle using hal's name. so, you're basically getting what you'd prefer

No, I'm not. I'm getting Ryan Reynolds as he attempts to mimic Robert Downey Jr, and spout vapid one-liners (theoretically, as you point out, depending on how they edit the film). The Reynolds character and Kyle Rayner bear absolutely no resemblance to each other, except they're both young white guys who get a GL ring (although isn't Kyle Latino these days?)

So, really, you're not getting either Hal or Kyle. Thus, at least one of my points about the film.

Quote:
Meanwhile, it doesn't look like a good film to me. It looks exactly like the kind of glossy, spandex-laden over-CGI-ed silliness that I was hoping films like The Dark Knight would have moved us away from. But, hell, this is from the SAME company that gave us TDK.

i guess i just don't see the need for every film to be TDK. that was a heavy mother fucking film. it's a nearly exhausting 3 hours of dark opera. but batman's character is (or at least can be) a grim and gritty, dark and dirty type of persona, so that was a specific, catered fit. 99% of other characters (and i'd include GL in that pile) don't warrant that type. they're lighter, more "comic book"ish. for all the flack the fantastic four movies caught, i thought they were fine, because that's how silly the actual books are (most of the time). yes, there are the collection of us uber-nerds that have seen the 10 issues on record where comics are taken seriously - but in the great scheme of things, in the wide-spread history of the characters and their medium, they're not. just think about what got you into super heroes, and more than likely it was something like the super-friends.

And I suspected this would be the counter-argument against such a short inferential statement on my part. I, as always, support moderation of influence. In no way do I mean that GL should be as "dark" or "serious" as TDK. It shouldn't have the same themes, and should create its own identity, as it were. However, why not give the subject material the same attention to detail and dedication to realism? Why not at least attempt to give it a sincere eye for substance? Which leads to the next point...

Quote:
green lantern, alone, is about all-powerful smurfs, imagination jewelry, animal humanoid space police, a 1920s magician villain, and dozens of other ridiculous concepts. in all of the comic book world, GL might be the best example of "glossy, spandex-laden ... silliness". i wouldn't think that a misappropriation in cinematic form. and even with that said, i think this most recent trailer shows an effort being made to address folks like you, looking for a less-silly film.

Yes, yes, all superhero comics are "silly" in essence, if translated literally. And if this were twenty-years ago, I'd probably be excited about this level of comic book movie. But, it's 2011. We've had bigger, smarter, and better. If you're going to make something like Green Lantern into a movie, then the least they could do is not make it look like a Hollywood Conveyor Belt Marketing Cartoon.

Quote:
not that i'm trying to debate you into liking the movie... i guess i just don't understand why this seems to be such a ... well... a bug up your ass.

LOL@bug-up-ass reference, since it's about Green Lantern, and Parallax is a bug that crawled up Hal's ass. Also, you like Nintendo, Hulk Hogan, and Batman.

But, seriously, if anyone is reading any kind of more-than-normal hostility from me over this subject, you're simply reading me wrong. I'm down if people want to waste their time and money on this drivel. It's just too bad it will give Hollywood the impression they can churn out any level of comic book shit and the fans will lap it up...

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
if anyone is reading any kind of more-than-normal hostility from me over this subject, you're simply reading me wrong.

I'm down if people want to waste their time and money on this drivel. It's just too bad it will give Hollywood the impression they can churn out any level of comic book shit and the fans will lap it up...

if i were a fatter, blacker, sassier, femalier individual, you'd get SUCH an "mmHM" right now.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard