Print Thread
#1075338 2009-07-31 12:54 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Variety:
  • Jim Rockford is looking for a comeback.

NBC, Universal Media Studios and Steve Carell's Carousel Television have tapped "House" creator-exec producer David Shore to shepherd a redo of the classic 1974-80 gumshoe drama that starred James Garner and put Stephen J. Cannell on the map as a writer-producer.

Garner's Emmy-winning portrayal of the ex-con private eye who lived in a trailer in Malibu (and usually worked as hard to get his clients to pay up as he did on solving cases) turned Jim Rockford into one of the most indelible characters of the smallscreen. Shore said as a fan of the show himself, he's well aware of how high the bar is set for the remake.

"It's one of the shows that made me want to become a writer," Shore said. "I had no interest in adapting any old stuff, but this was the one exception."

Shore's just starting to think about an approach to bring "The Rockford Files" into the present day, but he intends to stick with the basic foundation of a private eye in L.A. just trying to make a living.

"What makes 'Rockford' timeless is that he's vulnerable, he's flawed. He's used to hustling and getting hustled," Shore said. "Sometimes he's a hero and sometimes he runs away."

The idea for a "Rockford" revival came from Carousel, which inquired about the rights to the Universal TV property after Carousel cut a production pact with Universal Media Studios in January. Laura Lancaster, NBC/UMS' exec veep of drama, knew that Shore was a big "Rockford" buff, and the match was easily made.

"The minute I heard this I said, 'Let's get it on for midseason' ... but we're going to take our time and get it right," said Angela Bromstad, prexy of primetime entertainment for NBC Entertainment and UMS. "We know that David has the right sensibility as a writer to take on this kind of big character."

The original "Rockford" was co-created by Cannell and Roy Huggins, a prolific and influential TV scribe who created "Maverick," the offbeat Western that made Garner a star in the late '50s, and "The Fugitive," among other shows.

"Rockford," which earned the Emmy for drama series in 1978, was a training ground for a number of future biz heavyweights, including scribes David Chase, Juanita Bartlett, Chas. Floyd Johnson and thesps Dennis Dugan and Tom Selleck. Show's strong supporting cast included Noah Beery Jr., Stuart Margolin, Joe Santos and Gretchen Corbett.

This may or may not turn into an enjoyable show. However, not only is it pointless to use the name "Rockford Files," it's probably counter-productive.

James Garner WAS Rockford. The whole show was written for and around his persona. You take away Garner and it's just a show about a laconic private eye.

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

James Garner WAS Rockford.

Agreed!

But will that stop whoever from trying to do it all over again?

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
This whole remaking shit becuse there is already a built-in market is, as you say counter-productive.

I was reading some gayness about the recent remaking of horror films from the 70s/80s - it really frightened me, that todays fans thought the newer versions were better than the originals!

The Hitcher

Halloween

The Hills have eyes

- I can't wait till they remake Bladerunner!

I shit on Hogan!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I don't have problem, per se, with remakes. But some characters are so much a part of the actor who originally played them that a remake seems pointless. Without the original actor you aren't going to get the "built in" audience anyway and you'd be better off putting all that talent into a new show.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Quote:

NBC, Universal Media Studios and Steve Carell's Carousel Television have tapped "House" creator-exec

That's as far as I got.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Without the original actor you aren't going to get the "built in" audience anyway and you'd be better off putting all that talent into a new show.

I shit on Hogan!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
support your local gunfighter!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
As my old pappy used to say, a man does what he has to do - if he can't get out of it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
support your local gunfighter!

"You hit that man from behind."

"Just as hard as I could."

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Let me guess....Rockford will be played by a roguishly good-looking twenty-something, built to be a new TV heartthrob. He'll probably have an "equal" female supporting character that is always smarter than him in all respects, just to appease the female crowd that tunes in to rub one off to Rockford. And, I expect there to be a few shots of Rockford walking, solemly, away from an explosion in slow motion, while dressed in some kind of business suit a man of his pay could never afford.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I await to be proven wrong.

Okay Rob, you can make your normal "Quote" post where you berate me for being negative... \:lol\:

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Dermot Mulroney to star in 'Rockford' update
  • Dermot Mulroney is TV's new Jim Rockford.

In his first regular TV role, Mulroney is set to play the iconic private eye in NBC's updated take on the hit 1970s drama that starred James Garner in the title role.

The new Jim Rockford is described as "slightly crumpled, wry humored, cynical, world weary, compassionate when it's called for and easily irritated by morons."

His troubled past includes includes doing some time as a convict and as a cop.

Aside from an arc on NBC's "Friends" in 2003, "My Best Friend's Wedding" co-star Mulroney, repped by ICM, has been focused on features, most recently appearing in "Burn After Reading."

NBC's "Rockford Files" was penned by "House" creator David Shore, who is executive producing with Steve Carell.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Rockford Files May Remain Closed, And Here’s Why:
  • Complaints from those who’ve seen the pilot seem to center around the direction by TV veteran Michael Watkins, which seems to have erred too much on the “veteran” side; comments like “The pilot looked like it was shot in the seventies… You didn’t even know it was the current day until Jim pulled out his cell phone” might be cool if the project was supposed to be retro, but not if you’re trying to create a contemporary crime series. There are also concerns over star Dermot Mulroney, with one suggestion that he be dumped entirely and replaced with Lost’s Josh Holloway.

if the show makes it to series, it’ll be for political reasons (Mostly, not wanting to piss off Carell while they try and woo him to stay on with The Office for another season

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow, Josh Holloway as Rockford. I would pick him over Dermot Mulroney.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, but I doubt it's going to happen...at least not now. Holloway's said he wants to take a break from TV for a few years and try to do movies before taking on another series.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Entertainment Weekly: News that NBC is taking another stab at rebooting the ’70s private-eye classic The Rockford Files—sans Dermot Mulroney in the title role—has revived talk that Holloway would look great in James Garner’s iconic (gum)shoes.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it but I'd like to see it.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
This reminds me of a few years ago when they remade Kolchak the Night Stalker as a hip young guy.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, it's not really the same, at least if they cast Holloway. Holloway is forty and about the same age that Garner was when he made "Rockford." And Rockford, like Sawyer, was always a bit of a cynic and rogue.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I was referencing the overall thread about the failed pilot, not just your most immediate post. Not everything is about you.
I seriously doubt Holloway would want to play another character that is Sawyer-esque so soon for fear of being forever typecast in that kind of role. Also he's said he wants a break from tv and he probably isn't hurting for money.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Simmer down, Ray. You'll notice I said it wasn't the same IF they cast Holloway. I also said I had doubts that would happen.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
shut up, old man!

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Get off my lawn kid

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
you don't remember what it's like to be my age!

though in all fairness the 1920's were quite awhile ago.

Bow ties are coool.

Link Copied to Clipboard