brother from another mother
15000+ posts

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/Media...5E04F55FFFFFFFF

Quote:
Tiger's troubles widen his distance from blacks
Dec 6, 2009 (8:01a CST)
By JESSE WASHINGTON

AP National Writer
Amid all the headlines generated by Tiger Woods' troubles - the puzzling car accident, the suggestions of marital turmoil and multiple mistresses - little attention has been given to the race of the women linked with the world's greatest golfer. Except in the black community.

When three white women were said to be romantically involved with Woods in addition to his blonde, Swedish wife, blogs, airwaves and barbershops started humming, and Woods' already tenuous standing among many blacks took a beating.

On the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner radio show, Woods was the butt of jokes all week.

"Thankfully, Tiger, you didn't marry a black woman. Because if a sister caught you running around with a bunch of white hoochie-mamas," one parody suggests in song, she would have castrated him.

"The Grinch's Theme Song" didn't stop there: "The question everyone in America wants to ask you is, how many white women does one brother waaant?"

As one blogger, Robert Paul Reyes, wrote: "If Tiger Woods had cheated on his gorgeous white wife with black women, the golfing great's accident would have been barely a blip in the blogosphere."

The darts reflect blacks' resistance to interracial romance. They also are a reflection of discomfort with a man who has smashed barriers in one of America's whitest sports and assumed the mantle of the world's most famous athlete, once worn by Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan.

But Woods has declined to identify himself as black, and famously chose the term "Cablinasian" (Caucasian, black, Indian and Asian) to describe the racial mixture he inherited from his African-American father and Thai mother.

This vexed some blacks, but it hasn't stopped them from claiming Woods as one of their own. Or from disapproving of his marriage to Elin Nordegren, despite blacks' historical fight against white racist opponents of mixed marriage.

On the one hand, Ebonie Johnson Cooper doesn't care that Tiger Woods' wife and alleged mistresses are white because Woods is "quote-unquote not really black."

"But at the same time we still see him as a black man with a white woman, and it makes a difference," said Johnson Cooper, a 26-year-old African-American from New York City. "There's just this preservation thing we have among one another. We like to see each other with each other."

Black women have long felt slighted by the tendency of famous black men to pair with white women, and many have a list of current transgressors at the ready.

"We've discussed this for years among black women," said Denene Millner, author of several books on black relationships. "Why is it when they get to this level ... they tend to go directly for the nearest blonde?"

This tendency may be more prominent due to a relative lack of interracial marriages among average blacks. Although a recent Pew poll showed that 94 percent of blacks say it's all right for blacks and whites to date, a study published this year in Sociological Quarterly showed that blacks are less likely to actually date outside their race than are other groups.

"There is a call for loyalty that is stronger in some ways than in other racial communities," said the author of the study, George Yancey, a sociology professor at the University of North Texas and author of the book "Just Don't Marry One."

The color of one's companion has long been a major measure of "blackness" - which is a big reason why the biracial Barack Obama was able to fend off early questions about his black authenticity.

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him," Johnson Cooper said.

So do Woods' women say something about the intensely private golfer's views on race?

"I would like to say no, but I think it garners a bit of a yes," Johnson Cooper said.

Carmen Van Kerckhove, founder of the race-meets-pop-culture blog Racialicious, said there have been frequent discussions on her site about the fine line between preference and fetish.

"Is there any difference between a white guy with a thing for blondes, and a non-white guy with a thing for blondes?" asked Van Kerckhove, who has a Chinese mother, a Belgian father and a husband born in America to parents from Benin.

She claims that Asians don't fully embrace Woods, either.

"There are two layers of suspicion toward him," Van Kerkhove said. "One toward the apparent pattern in the race of his partners, and the second in the way he sees himself. ... People have been giving him the side-eye for a while."

There's nothing wrong with wanting a mate who shares your culture, as long as it's for the right reasons, the comedienne Sheryl Underwood said after unleashing a withering Woods monologue on Tom Joyner's radio show.

"Would we question when a Jewish person wants to marry other Jewish people?" she said in an interview. "It's not racist. It's not bigotry. It's cultural pride."

"The issue comes in when you choose something white because you think it's better," Underwood said. "And then you never date a black woman or a woman of color or you never sample the greatness of the international buffet of human beings. If you never do that, we got a problem."

___

Jesse Washington covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
glad to see that one's character can so easily be measured by their levels of melanin.

doesn't him cheating on his wife with a white woman make him pretty black anyway?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As a pseudo-black individual, I'd like to hear what TK has to say on the matter.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Quote:

There's nothing wrong with wanting a mate who shares your culture, as long as it's for the right reasons, the comedienne Sheryl Underwood said after unleashing a withering Woods monologue on Tom Joyner's radio show.

"Would we question when a Jewish person wants to marry other Jewish people?" she said in an interview. "It's not racist. It's not bigotry. It's cultural pride."

"The issue comes in when you choose something white because you think it's better," Underwood said. "And then you never date a black woman or a woman of color or you never sample the greatness of the international buffet of human beings. If you never do that, we got a problem."

.......wait. What? That makes no fucking sense. Wouldn't you always choose something you think is "better"? White or black, you're not going to choose what you think is "subpar".

So, every redneck that is against interracial unions is just concerned with "cultural pride"?

What asinine excuses...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think this stems from that episode of Oprah where they had the black twelve year old pick between a black doll and a white doll.

She picked the white doll, saying it was a "good color."

I call bullshit; either Oprah or the guest doctor staged it or something.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
They're using a twelve-year-old's doll preference as a standard to measure racism. How can anyone take that seriously...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Because he's a twelve year old.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
I'll be 12 years old in 7 years.

-K. Velo

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Jesse Washington covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press.

Translation: Jesse Washington is nerdy, middle aged, black dude who couldn't get a hot white model or stripper to even look at him.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
they also want to judge him "as a black man" and then turn around and say "he's not really black." you can't have it both ways, kids.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
I'll be 12 years old in 7 years.

-K. Velo

10 points.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Happy Birthday, Tiger.

We all wear a green carnation.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
your mary jane impressions are quite impressive jim.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I bet jimbo says that to all the guys.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Right before he gay rapes them.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
So... apparently the sex addiction clinic that Tiger decided to go to is here in Hattiesburg, MS. I would have never guessed that myself. The news around here is going apeshit over it. There has also been a rumor that workers from the clinic are saying that it wasn't just women. But that's most likely just bs.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Why? Plenty of married men have been known to swing both ways.

I think there's a golf joke in there somewhere...

We all wear a green carnation.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Why do you have to make all the conversations to be about you, Jim? Why?!

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Because he's horribly insecure and needs "validation" from us?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

so I met a reporter from the NY Post last night. she's in town trying to get a story about Tiger's "rehabilitation".

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Did you tell her that you had her post 'right here' and motioned to your crotch? Cuz... ya know.... that would have been funny... and all.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

I do have her phone number.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
How many times do I have to tell you that no woman has an 800 number?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
it's ok. I told them my name was "Mike Peterson."

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch

doesn't him cheating on his wife with a white woman make him pretty black anyway?

No.

Originally Posted By: Pariah

As a pseudo-black individual, I'd like to hear what TK has to say on the matter.

Misplaced modifier.

Originally Posted By: Prometheus

.......wait. What? That makes no fucking sense. Wouldn't you always choose something you think is "better"? White or black, you're not going to choose what you think is "subpar".

I think her point was that people believe Woods may be choosing to marry and have sex with white women exclusively because he feels white women are superior to other women.

Originally Posted By: Prometheus

So, every redneck that is against interracial unions is just concerned with "cultural pride"?

Your point here illustrates why her first point was bullcrap.

Originally Posted By: Pariah
I think this stems from that episode of Oprah where they had the black twelve year old pick between a black doll and a white doll.

She picked the white doll, saying it was a "good color."

I don't think anyone was referring to that episode or event.

What you may not know is that the "black doll" phenomenon is much more widespread than anyone here seems to believe. That study has been repeated several times with many children of many different races, producing similar results.

Originally Posted By: Grimm
they also want to judge him "as a black man" and then turn around and say "he's not really black." you can't have it both ways, kids.

I don't think anyone quoted in the article was saying he's not really black. Quite the opposite, actually.

few posts
few posts
Some people are attracted to fair skin and some to dark skin. If anything this shows Tiger is attracted to fair skin. Only race-baiters would bring any racial connotations into this. It is really sad how insecure some people are.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I am a sex addict.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: Perkinsday

I don't think anyone quoted in the article was saying he's not really black. Quite the opposite, actually.

Quote:
On the one hand, Ebonie Johnson Cooper doesn't care that Tiger Woods' wife and alleged mistresses are white because Woods is "quote-unquote not really black."

few posts
few posts
Just because it said it in the article doesn't necessarily mean it said it in the article.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

I stand corrected.

Then again, so do you. Ebonie (?) Cooper specifically says that he doesn't care about the race of Woods's wife and mistresses because Ebonie feels Woods is not black (an assertion Woods himself has made). The very point he made was that he wasn't going to judge him "as a black man" at all.

Quite the opposite, actually.

Scorned as the one who ran
300+ posts
300+ posts
Wow, this really has you flustered.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Bulk of the series.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

Quote:

I stand corrected.

Then again, so do you. Ebonie (?) Cooper specifically says that he doesn't care about the race of Woods's wife and mistresses because Ebonie feels Woods is not black (an assertion Woods himself has made). The very point he made was that he wasn't going to judge him "as a black man" at all.

I don't think so, Tim. thanks for playing. perhaps you'd like a home version of our game as a consolation prize.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Bulk of the series.

not exactly a lightweight.

300+ posts
300+ posts
I'm black. From the waist up! Or is that down?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

I stand corrected.

I don't think so, Tim. thanks for playing. perhaps you'd like a home version of our game as a consolation prize.

So what part did I get wrong? Or do you just not want to admit that you were generalizing?

300+ posts
300+ posts
You're generalizing.

Link Copied to Clipboard