Page 1 of 2 1 2
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/lt_chile_earthquake
 Quote:
A devastating magnitude-8.8 earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, shattering buildings and bridges, killing at least 78 people and setting off a tsunami that threatened every nation around the Pacific Ocean — roughly a quarter of the globe.

Chilean TV showed devastating images of the most powerful quake to hit the country in a half-century: In the second city of Concepcion trucks plunged into the fractured earth, homes fell, bridges collapsed and buildings were engulfed in flames. Injured people lay in the streets or on stretchers.

Many roads were destroyed and electricity and water were cut to many areas.

There was still no word of death or damage from many outlying areas that were cut off by the quake that struck at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. EST, 0634 GMT) 200 miles (325 kilometers) southwest of Santiago.

Experts warned that a tsunami could strike anywhere in the Pacific, and Hawaii could face its largest waves since 1964 starting at 11:19 a.m. (4:19 p.m. EST, 2119 GMT), according to Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

Tsunami waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of the earthquake. The U.S. West Coast and Alaska, too, were threatened.

A huge wave swept into a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, 410 miles (660 kilometers) off the Chilean coast, President Michele Bachelet said, but there were no immediate reports of major damage there.

Bachelet said the death toll was at 78 and rising, but officials had no information on the number of people injured. She declared a "state of catastrophe" in central Chile.

"We have had a huge earthquake, with some aftershocks," Bachelet said from an emergency response center. She urged Chileans not to panic.

"Despite this, the system is functioning. People should remain calm. We're doing everything we can with all the forces we have. Any information we will share immediately," she said.

Powerful aftershocks rattled Chile's coast — 21 of them magnitude 5 or greater and one reaching magnitude 6.9 — the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

Bachelet urged people to avoid traveling, since traffic lights are down, to avoid causing more fatalities.

The airport for Chile's capital of Santiago airport was shut down and will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours, airport director Eduardo del Canto said. The passenger terminal suffered major damage, he told Chilean television in a telephone interview. TV images show smashed windows, partially collapsed ceilings and pedestrian walkways destroyed.

In Concepcion, nurses and residents pushed some of the injured through the streets on stretchers. Others walked around in a daze wrapped in blankets, some carrying infants in their arms.

The epicenter was just 70 miles (115 kilometers) from Concepcion, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river, and 60 miles (95 kilometers) from the ski town of Chillan, a gateway to Andean ski resorts that was destroyed in a 1939 earthquake.

The quake also shook buildings in Argentina's capital of Buenos Aires, 900 miles (1,400 kilometers) away on the Atlantic side of South America.

Marco Vidal — a program director for Grand Circle Travel who was traveling with a group of 34 Americans — was on the 19th floor of the Crown Plaza Santiago hotel when the quake struck.

"All the things start to fall. The lamps, everything, was going on the floor. And it was moving like from south to north, oscillated. I felt terrified," he said.

Cynthia Iocono, from Linwood, Pennsylvania, said she first thought the quake was a train.

"But then I thought, oh, there's no train here. And then the lamps flew off the dresser and my TV flew off onto the floor and crashed."

"It was scary, but there really wasn't any panic. Everybody kind of stayed orderly and looked after one another," Iocono said.

In Santiago, modern buildings are built to withstand earthquakes, but many older ones were heavily damaged, including the Nuestra Senora de la Providencia church, whose bell tower collapsed. An apartment building's two-level parking lot also flattened onto the ground floor, smashing about 50 cars whose alarms and horns rang incessantly. A bridge just outside the capital also collapsed, and at least one car flipped upside down.

The quake struck after concert-goers had left South America's leading music festival in the coastal city of Vina del Mar, but it caught partiers leaving a disco. "It was very bad, people were screaming, some people were running, others appeared paralyzed. I was one of them," , Julio Alvarez told Radio Cooperativa in Santiago.

Bachelet said she was declaring a "state of catastrophe" in three central regions of the country.

She said Chile has not asked for assistance from other countries.

Several hospitals were evacuated due to earthquake damage, she said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings.

"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the warning center said. It did not expect a tsunami along the west of the U.S. or Canada but was continuing to monitor the situation.

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile on May 22, 1960. The magnitude-9.5 quake killed 1,655 people and left 2 million homeless. The tsunami that it caused killed people in Hawaii, Japan and the Philippines and caused damage to the west coast of the United States.

It was the strongest quake to hit Chile since a magnitude-9.5 temblor rocked southern Chile in 1960. Together with an ensuing tsunami, it killed at least 1,716 people.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hawaii Prepares for Coastal Evacuations at Sunrise; Calif. Under Tsunami Advisory: "Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the warning center said. It did not expect a tsunami along the west of the U.S. or Canada but was continuing to monitor the situation.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Does anybody here know if Mxy is OK yet?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
No idea but I wondered the same thing... What part of Chile is he from?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The fifth dimension.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The fifth region too, and the epicenter was in like the eight (in the south), but it got pretty messy here too. House is a mess but no one's dead.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yet.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Those earthquakes are sneaky, silent killers.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I have three shelves with comics over my bed which all fell down completely, so if I had been in bed, I think my Uncanny X-Men Omnibus would have killed me... or, you know, one of the fucking shelves themselves.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's what you get for investing in X-Men.

And fucking shelves.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Shelves. Shelves. Doesn't sound right. Shelves.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Maybe I did hit myself in the head. Fucking From Hell HC.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I am glad you are alright Mxy! My condolences to your fucking shelves.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm glad you're alright,dad of SOM.
Now stop making deals with Satan and your country might survive this!

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think we should all write to George Clooney and Wyclef Jean and ask them to send Kindles to the people of Chile in order to insure that a tragedy like this can never happen again.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Oh Mxy! I was wondering if you survived. Damn man, I hope your TPB's made it out okay.

BTW, how is your city? Any serious damage in your area? Any relatives or friends caught in the center?

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I have three shelves with comics over my bed which all fell down completely, so if I had been in bed, I think my Uncanny X-Men Omnibus would have killed me... or, you know, one of the fucking shelves themselves.

you ain't supposed to fuck shelves!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You know, it's funny. I didn't actually meaning "fucking shelves" in the verb sense, but rather adjectival sense.

But...Hell. I like the direction the joke has gone.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
you would. dirty perv. probably gonna go and fuck your shelves now, ain'tcha? perv.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Oh Mxy! I was wondering if you survived. Damn man, I hope your TPB's made it out okay.

BTW, how is your city? Any serious damage in your area? Any relatives or friends caught in the center?

My family's all fine, but there are couple of friends in other cities I still haven't heard from.

My city got off pretty well, especially compared to others down south. A few buildings have structural damage and had to be evacuated (mostly new ones), and some areas (like mine) still don't have water or electricity. We don't have phone lines either, but only because a portrait fell and cut the cables (?!). Cellphones are working fine now (it was pretty nerve-wrecking trying to get ahold of everyone in the hours after the quake with no phones).

I walked through the city yesterday to get to a place with electricity, and didn't see anything too fucked up. Mostly gardens in front of buildings full of shattered glass, and some stores and drugstores that had been looted. Near my house a big (pointless) pillar fell down, and some water was running down the street.

My comics are surprisingly fine... but my Life of Python hardcover got pretty bruised. A Superman statue lost its arm. At least I didn't have to deal with any exploding TVs (plural), like a friend who lives two blocks away.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
also my shelves are still all in the floor, so they are now considerably easier to fuck.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Maybe you, the shelves, rex and his sock can all double date now.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Dad! I'm glad you're safe. Send me all of your comics, for safekeeping.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
SOM wants the shelves too. For sodomy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I would treat it to candlelight dinner first

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I can't even get fucked by my shelves. \:\(
-snarf

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Even busted dead ass shelves won't give three fourths of a quickie.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Anonymous 19 minutes 3 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: The Mxy Nation Hit By Biggest Earthquake in 50 Years
Anonymous 19 minutes 4 seconds ago Reading a post
Anonymous 19 minutes 11 seconds ago Reading a post
Anonymous 19 minutes 28 seconds ago Reading a post

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Must be a bunch of shelf-fuckers.
Leave Mxy's shelves alone you pervs!!!

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
How are things going in your area Mxy?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
My city's doing fine, I have electricity and some water now, which means I can see REALLY the depressing stuff on TV. In Concepcion, one of the cities that got hit the worst, the looting really got out of hand: some looters started making fires at public places to distract the police and continue stealing elsewhere. They got carried away in a deparment store (that had already been looted) and the whole building collapsed (with them inside). Firemen couldnt much because they didn't have water in that area. I've also heard about people who bring food and stuff to help, being robbed at gunpoint as they drive into the city, but I don't know if that's true.

Also, I finally read some comics I acquired last week, including Flash Rebirth #6. It killed what was left of my faith in humanity.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I'm sorry you had to experience that horrible comic.

but glad that you're still alive!

Pariah saw the bit about exploding tvs and got excited.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
I can't even get fucked by my shelves. \:\(
-snarf

I can only get them 3/4 of the way in, but they put splinters in my anus.
-Snarf.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth
 Quote:
The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I saw that article on yahoo.....read the comments below it.Unfreakin'beleivable.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Goddamnit, dad. You broke our earth!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: allan1
I saw that article on yahoo.....read the comments below it.Unfreakin'beleivable.

5595 comments as of right now. The ones I read are pure comedy gold.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
500+ posts
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
Anonymous 19 minutes 3 seconds ago Reading a post
Anonymous 19 minutes 4 seconds ago Reading a post
Anonymous 19 minutes 11 seconds ago Reading a post
Anonymous 19 minutes 28 seconds ago Reading a post

AFLAC!

Another Fucking Lame Ass Clown posts a message.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They just reported another one on the news.

Christ, Mxy, what did you people do to piss off God?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard