rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Struggling Blockbuster Bringing Back Late Fees on Rentals

Quote:
Since the dawn of the home-video era in the 1980s, as the proliferation of VCRs and DVD players spread to the point where just about every American home was equipped with one, Blockbuster was, well, a blockbuster. The company dominated its sector of the economy, gobbling up competitors and forcing many mom-and-pop video rental stores out of business.

Those days are long gone.

he heels of a disastrous fourth quarter and the announcement that the chain would be closing hundreds of stores, Blockbuster's latest move to curb its heavy bloodletting could easily be interpreted as an act of desperation: It's going to start charging late fees again on rentals, something the company hasn't done since 2005. At the time, Blockbuster claimed that dropping late fees would cost them $250-$300 million per year in lost revenue. Clearly, the company misses that annual infusion of cash.

Here's how the new late-fee structure breaks down:

• Starting this week, customers will be charged $5 for a five-day movie rental. Previously, customers were allowed to keep each rental for seven days.

• If the customer returns the movie late, they'll be charged $1 per day until it's returned, up to a maximum of 10 days.

• If the customer still hasn't returned the movie by the 15th day, they'll be charged the full price of the DVD, which could range from $29.99 on the high end for newly released Blu-ray discs, to just a few bucks on the low end for a DVD on the clearance rack.

• If the movie is returned within 30 days, the customer will receive a store credit equal to the price of the movie they were charged for, minus $10 in late fees. So if the customer was charged $19.99 for a replacement DVD, they'll have $9.99 credited to their Blockbuster account.

While saying that the move was a necessary one in order to remain competitive with Netflix and Redbox, Blockbuster spokesperson Michelle Metzger tried to downplay its significance, saying the new fee policy is not all that different from others in the industry, and would ultimately make for a more enjoyable customer experience.

"We think this is very forgiving. You have 45 days to bring it back. It's similar to what Redbox does," she said. "This is an incentive to get movies back faster so others can rent them and to get the customer back into the store faster."

Currently, Netflix customers pay flat monthly fees that range from $8.99 to $16.99 to receive movies through the mail or via the Internet. There are no late fees, but customers are charged $14 if they lose a DVD. Redbox, which dispenses movies through its more than 22,000 vending machine-like kiosks across the country, charges a flat fee of $1 per day. For lost DVDs, Redbox charges its customers $25.

Whether or not the reinstatement of late fees helps to revitalize Blockbuster financially remains to be seen. Industry analysts have been pronouncing the company all but dead for some time, and yet it has managed to survive, barely. Blockbuster is still alive and kicking, and that certainly counts for something.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Blockbusters and Hollywood videos have finally started to close around here. They're still doing well in towns where its impossible or expensive to get high speed internet but I think most video rental stores will be completely gone within the next two years. Even the older people I know that are scared of ordering movies on On Demand or through a console are finally getting over that fear.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Blockbusters and Hollywood videos have finally started to close around here. They're still doing well in towns where its impossible or expensive to get high speed internet ....

...but even in those places, I see less people using video stores and more people using RedBoxes. The local Wal-Marts and Wegmans (supersized grocery chain with stores almost as big as a Wal Mart) have them in front of their stores around here. So do some of the smaller independent stores. They're about as difficult to operate as a soda machine and there's a heck of a lot less overhead.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Tragic.

Blockubuster was my first part time job. I'll be sad to see it go.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Also, I still use these fucking stores dammit.

I don't want to order my media offline.

If they force me to do that, I'm just gonna download all my shit on torrents from now on. Fuck Netflicks and Gamefly.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
just seems like a gigantic step backwards. they're retreating closer to their position when netflix started to annihilate them? the "no late fee" gimmick is peace of mind, but an incredibly successful one. bringing it back (just as having it originally) will hurt.

even beyond the peace of mind it offers consumers, it's also more profitable! sure, there's the crazies that take advantage of the system and rent 100 movies in a 3 week span for $9.99, but the vast majority of the customer base gets a single movie and keeps it rented for 6 months or more, eventually forgetting about it. that means $50+ in "late fees" that the customer doesn't realize they're paying, and the business doesn't look bad by enforcing.

i also love that google ads has netflix banners showing now.

...and that this news brings pariah (more) angst.

giant picture
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They're finished.

I haven't seen a company grasp at straws while circling the drain like this since the final few years of Circuit City.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I used two cliches in one sentence.

RACK me.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
i only go to blockbuster to pick up older movies cheap.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I havent rented anything since long before DVDs came out.
I just dont see the point of renting when I can wait a few months and buy the same DVD for the price it costs to rent.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Indiana Prosecutor Wants PG, PG-13, And R-Rated Movies Out Of Redbox Kiosks:
  • Vanderburgh County Prosecutor Stanley Levco has sent letters threatening legal action against retailers providing space to Redbox and MovieCube kiosks. The problem? According to Levco, automated kiosks don't have enough safeguards preventing minors from renting material that could theoretically harm them.

Limiting kiosks' selection to only G-rated movies certainly limits their usefulness and relevance, and means that renters will need to turn to brick-and-mortar video stores to rent movies with adult content. We're sure it's just a coincidence that the idea for the prosecutor's action against video kiosks came from an attorney representing the owner of several Indiana video stores.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
How many kids have a credit card?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Probably more than you'd think these days, but even so that's also a parental issue, not an issue for vendors to police.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Not sure how it works in the USA, but over here you have credit cards, which you have to be 18 or over to own, and debit cards which can be pretty much owned by anyone (with the correct documentation) as all it does is pay money directly out of your account, thus many children legally have them.

I have heard of kids as young as 14 owning a debit card.

Most places that accept credit cards also accept debit cards.
I have ordered from various countries around the world using my debit card, including the USA.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Any parent in the US if he or she chooses can give his or her kid a credit card to use (same with a debit card). While I would guess that a store cashier might look askance at a kid using on at checkout, a machine would not register any problem with the card simply by the fact a kid used it.

Again, I don't see that as a justification for what this DA is doing. Just noting that in the US legitimate credit card use by kids is possible.

"Youtubie"
1000+ posts
"Youtubie"
1000+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard